Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
117 user(s) are online (104 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 117

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Bike Security
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/1/22 9:03
From The Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

croft wrote:
I have a 94 Schwinn Criss Cross that I rode back and forth to and from Hoboken for the last few weeks while my car was in the shop. I would park it and chain it in front of a client's house for sometimes 5-6 hours at a time. I have an old Bike Club lock and a bunch of Kryptonite cables that I have bungee corded to the back rack. I make sure to run the cables through the wheels, gear, frame, and any other area to prevent someone from being able to ride it, while locking the bike lock through the frame and rear wheel to a secure post or fence pole. A cheap carabiner clip can be placed in other areas of the wheels/gears and be barely noticed, so even if they do cut the locks, it will make the getaway harder if the clip matches the bike's color. Also, I usually pull the brake cables out so the brakes are non functioning, and have at times loosened the back wheel to disengage the chain and derailleur. It's a shame I had to do all of those things, but in the past I've had BMX bikes chained up and people eyeing them and tampering them right from the window of my old office.

That's an A++

Posted on: 2009/3/29 22:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/9/3 23:20
Group:
Registered Users
I have a 94 Schwinn Criss Cross that I rode back and forth to and from Hoboken for the last few weeks while my car was in the shop. I would park it and chain it in front of a client's house for sometimes 5-6 hours at a time. I have an old Bike Club lock and a bunch of Kryptonite cables that I have bungee corded to the back rack. I make sure to run the cables through the wheels, gear, frame, and any other area to prevent someone from being able to ride it, while locking the bike lock through the frame and rear wheel to a secure post or fence pole. A cheap carabiner clip can be placed in other areas of the wheels/gears and be barely noticed, so even if they do cut the locks, it will make the getaway harder if the clip matches the bike's color. Also, I usually pull the brake cables out so the brakes are non functioning, and have at times loosened the back wheel to disengage the chain and derailleur. It's a shame I had to do all of those things, but in the past I've had BMX bikes chained up and people eyeing them and tampering them right from the window of my old office.

Posted on: 2009/3/29 17:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From The Heights
Group:
Registered Users
One other trick to keep in mind. If you need to stop into a store or something and do not have a lock with you do the following:

1. Keep the bike parked where you can see it from inside the store.

2. Put the chain onto the easiest gears your bike has (if someone tries to jump on and ride away they won't get far)

3. If you have quick release wheels.. loosen the back wheel (it will fall off)...just remember when you get back on to tighten it.

Posted on: 2009/3/29 1:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
In the words of Bob Dylan's song Like A Rolling Stone...
... "When you ain't got nothing, you got nothing to loose.

Posted on: 2009/3/28 23:28

Re: My bike is being adjusted
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/2/17 14:13
Group:
Banned
I had a friend lock her bike to itself and sit it out from of the framing shop on Newark and Jersey Ave. for less than 5 minutes, her bike was in view and then she looked away for a second, went outside and found her bike in the middle of the road - someone jumped on it to steal it and run but obviously got nowhere because she had locked the wheel.

Posted on: 2009/3/28 19:33

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/7/8 19:40
From Jersey City Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
Mathias wrote: Most bikes on the street are easy prey for bike thieves. I would not recommend locking up a bike outside but if you must you will need to buy multiple locks and take special care that all removable parts are secured to the frame. Here is a a great video about locking up bikes.
Thanks for posting the video. It gave me some additional tips...

Posted on: 2009/3/28 16:44
www.ninasdogwalk.com

A positive attitude brings strength, energy and initiative.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From The Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Most bikes on the street are easy prey for bike thieves. I would not recommend locking up a bike outside but if you must you will need to buy multiple locks and take special care that all removable parts are secured to the frame. Here is a a great video about locking up bikes.

Posted on: 2009/3/28 15:28

My bike is being adjusted
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/7/8 19:40
From Jersey City Heights
Group:
Registered Users
I use my bike to work for several reasons.It saves on gas, it's good for the environment, it keeps me in shape and I don't have to worry about parking, plus I just love riding my bike all over the place even when I'm not working.

In the last 2 months while working downtown, I have discovered that the gears have been altered, my seat has either been lowered and a couple of days it was apparently raised higher than normal or turned into a crooked position. My bike's pretty short as I am not the tallest of people but I had some trouble getting on it.

I can't figure out if someone's playing a practical joke or if there's some kind of attempt to steal my seat? I was just wondering if any other bike riders here have experienced this. It seems to happen close to the grove street area. It's getting pretty annoying.

Posted on: 2009/3/28 6:12
www.ninasdogwalk.com

A positive attitude brings strength, energy and initiative.

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/5/27 14:26
Group:
Registered Users
I live by Saint Peters College and I am new to the biking world. I have a vintage Schwinn however to the naked eye its just an old bike with a basket. So me being totally naive I tied my bike outside, I put the U-lock around the wheel but i tied the cable around the pole. It was a pouring raining and someone still cut the cable however they left the bike. I was totally shocked yet happy by lovely bike was left behind. After that i have been bringing it inside my apartment. My new condo converted building now has a bike room but no bike rack so needless to say I will not be leaving it down there until that happens.

I was more surprised because I have left my bike at Journal Square tied to a bike rack for days.

So my suggestion would be to bring it upstairs due to the bike not being there or someone cutting the tires or what have you.

Posted on: 2008/5/27 14:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Always report stolen bikes. It takes about 5 minutes and if the cops catch a guy breaking into cars on YOUR stolen bike you will probably get it back. Last summer a building in my neighborhood had 5 to 6 bikes stolen and none of the residents reported it. The thieves missed an expensive bike on the first try so they returned the next day and took that one as well. The residents never made a report and took several days to secure the broken door lock in their basement. FOOLS!

Posted on: 2008/5/27 2:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/7/8 14:23
Group:
Registered Users
The Downtown JC Watch receives many reports of Bike theft and it usually happens in a series of thefts. Many of these bikes are not expensive so the owners do not report it. However, they are just pissed off that their cheap bike was stolen from front of their house.

Get a good lock as well as a cumbersome chain.

Posted on: 2008/5/26 3:58

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/1/28 21:20
Group:
Registered Users
My bike was stolen last week. It was chained to the front gate. It was taken in broad daylight. I do not recomend that you leave your bike out front unless you are willing to part with it.

Posted on: 2008/5/19 14:13

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/10/24 17:50
From Morgan Lighthouse
Group:
Registered Users
Good luck.

In our condo complex we have an indoor parking garage.
We have a fenced in area for residents to park their bikes.
Many were locked freestanding (in the building's locked garage).

Some organized group stole every bike in the complex one day. I say organized, because they must have had a van, as there was no way to ride the locked bikes off.

If the thieves want something, they will get it. All you can do is make it as difficult as possible.

Leaving it outside all summer is asking for trouble. Not to mention it as bad for the bike to leave it out in the elements.

Posted on: 2008/5/19 14:09

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/1/5 17:59
Group:
Registered Users
I use a good U-lock that can fit around the rear tire and rear fork section of the frame at the same time, and a thick metal chain + padlock to chain the front tire to the frame. The seat comes inside.

I've had tires stolen before, the one or two times i forgot to make sure they were locked up.

Posted on: 2008/5/18 3:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
I bet the lock costs more. I wouldn't worry for the price you paid. And if the bike is easily replaced then yes leave it there.

Posted on: 2008/5/18 1:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/18 1:45
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Should be fine, I leave mine out front all the time, make sure both wheels are chained though as I have had a front wheel stolen when it was left unlocked.

Robin.

Posted on: 2008/5/18 0:22

Bike Security
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/5/13 20:32
Group:
Registered Users
I am thinking of locking my bike to the fence in front of my house for the summer (in the front area where the garbage cans are stored). My apartment is a third floor walkup and it is very inconvenient to have to carry the bike up and down all the time. Just wondering if anyone else does this or has had any problems with a bike being stolen from outside their home. The seat is easily removable so I will bring that inside. The total value of the bike is only around $100 so if it did get stolen it's not the end of the world.

Posted on: 2008/5/18 0:08

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017