Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
118 user(s) are online (105 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 118

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

BottomBottom  Previous Topic Previous Topic  Next Topic Next Topic   Register To PostTopic is Locked

« 1 ... 17 18 19 (20) 21 22 23 24 »

Re: Taqueria
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/11/18 14:49
From heights
Group:
Registered Users
for some delicious, cheap, completely filling and authentic tacos, i have the place. Corner of New York Ave & Congress in the heights. My guy sets up shop almost daily and parks his cart in front of Lee's Liquors. Seriously, this is the best stuff i've had in years. And the guy? sweet as hell, waves hello to me every night on my walk home. I'm always a little cautious of carts, but now that i've had it twice i'm a believer and a regular

Posted on: 2008/7/7 19:43

Taqueria. You can have it.

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/7/7 20:50
Group:
Registered Users
I have been reading the reviews for Taqueria with interest. When this placed opened I made a habit of visiting about once a week. I was a big fan of the pozole and so I would come in just for that. Many people have said that the food here is SO authentic that they are happy to overlook the place's negative vibe just to get at those tacos. Well...I'm not. Spending 4+ hours a month here for many months allowed me to witness some surprisingly surly behavior on the part of the staff. Not just a one-off...but clearly a trend. As someone else pointed out, the standard of behavior is set by the owners and trickles down through the ranks...resulting in a dining experience which can range from uncomfortable to embarrassing. Now I am not saying that on every single visit I experienced this...and many times I observed poor treatment of others...not necessarily myself. On my last visit I sat down with my wife to look over one of the paper menus and the owner came over after 5 minutes and in a voice dripping with sarcasm said..."I hope you're aware...you have to order at the counter?" (Actually, that looks amazingly innocuous in print...but those of you who have experienced the attitude in this place will recognize "the Phil" in this comment.) Who is this guy...the maitre d' at the Ritz? SO, I looked at my wife and asked her, "Remind me again why we keep coming to this place?" And we haven't been back for over a year now...and don't miss it all. You know...the food might be authentic...it might not. I'm not Mexican so that distinction is lost on me. I just want my food to taste good and to be served by someone who appears to understand what it means to work in the HOSPITALITY industry. I really don't expect to have my tuchus kissed and I don't need for the owner to be my buddy. But I don't feel right giving my money to a place that obviously holds its client?le in such open contempt. Yes I know there will be folks who'll say, "Good! Leaves more for us (nya, nya, nya)" but I really think it will only leave more for you temporarily. I don't think it will be too long before that sign on the corner changes again. FYI...I have found some really good places on Bergenline where the food is good and the staff are friendly...definitely worth exploring.

Posted on: 2008/7/7 18:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/9/14 20:15
From Crystal Point
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

DragonXJC wrote:
Quote:

bill wrote:
That's funny I thought this was a downtown Jersey City LIST. Why tempt us with these places in Siberia! Is Bergenline Ave. even in this city?

Central Avenue is in Jersey City, sorry if it is out of your safety net of Downtown Jersey City.

Yes, Central Ave. is in JC, but alas, you're missing my point. Anyways I went to Charrito's over the weekend next to JCPA and overall it was alright. The taquitos were good, but the steak was a little too salty.

I've been trying to find some sort of Mexican food that is similar to those found everywhere in Chicago and Southern California (specifically, head sized burritos and those thick crunchy tortilla chips that are perfect for hangovers). However, still havn't had any luck.

Quote:

Bill is right, though he highlighted the wrong words. He should have written DOWNTOWN Jersey City List, with emphasis on downtown rather than "LIST"

Oh I just wrote it how the logo is =)

Posted on: 2008/7/1 22:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/11/25 20:46
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
I guess I'm the only person who didn't like this place. The food was bland and flavorless.

No you're not, I feel exactly the same way about Taqueria - and I've kind of been all over Mexico, going maybe 7-8 times (staying and traveling with friends from Mexico DF on a few trips) and I also lived in LA for 3 years (not to brag, only to preempt any questioning of my bona fides...)

Posted on: 2008/7/1 17:15
"Someday a book will be written on how this city can be broke in the midst of all this development." ---Brewster

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

DragonXJC wrote:
Quote:

bill wrote:
That's funny I thought this was a downtown Jersey City LIST. Why tempt us with these places in Siberia! Is Bergenline Ave. even in this city?

Central Avenue is in Jersey City, sorry if it is out of your safety net of Downtown Jersey City.

[/quote]

Bill is right, though he highlighted the wrong words. He should have written DOWNTOWN Jersey City List, with emphasis on downtown rather than "LIST"

Posted on: 2008/7/1 16:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/5/16 16:22
From beneath the jumping sheep
Group:
Registered Users
Bland and flavorless? Are you kidding? The tacos at Downtown Taqueria bring back me to the taquerias I visited in the Yucatan, Quintana Roo, and Jalisco.

Taqueria rocks. If you don't think so, well, all the better for me and my friends.

Quote:

DragonXJC wrote:
I guess I'm the only person who didn't like this place. The food was bland and flavorless. I rather go to real Mexican restaurants where actual Mexicans would take their families (Bergenline & Central Ave). They should turn this place back into a bodega.

Posted on: 2008/6/29 3:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/9/14 20:15
From Crystal Point
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2008/6/28 20:10

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/12/16 23:23
From Greenville
Group:
Registered Users
I guess I'm the only person who didn't like this place. The food was bland and flavorless. I rather go to real Mexican restaurants where actual Mexicans would take their families (Bergenline & Central Ave). They should turn this place back into a bodega.

Posted on: 2008/6/28 20:03

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/12/6 5:22
Group:
Registered Users
Highly recommend this place as well. No need to do a food review of it on my site :) as this thread here clearly does that already.

___________________-
http://www.grovestreetJC.com

Posted on: 2008/6/12 22:00

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/4/19 1:12
Group:
Registered Users
i just went to this place yesterday for the first time. all i can say is WOW. most delicious tacos ive ever had. amazing. who would have thought!

Posted on: 2008/6/12 21:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/7/30 1:08
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
ditto!

we have been taking our young children to the Taqueria since it opened (and the kids were younger, still in strollers).

the children like it and have fun looking at the kitch, we like it, no problems.

like linky says below, with children, avoid going when they are already tired and cranky, avoid peak dinner/brunch times.... not just at the Taqueria, but everywhere.

Quote:

linky wrote:
I take my two little kids to Taqueria, and I thank God that I can bring them to a cute place with real food as an alternative to a hell hole like Chilis.

And I have never had a problem with my kids there or with the nice tall guy at the counter. My kids can be just as bratty and annoying as all the rest. That's why I don't bring them to fancy places at peak dining time. Nor do I bring them out when they are tired or cranky. And they know from experience that they will be removed from a restaurant when they act up.

And regarding dirty high chairs..........just sit them in there for crying out loud, and let them develop a decent immune system.

Posted on: 2008/5/19 21:28

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/7/18 17:14
Group:
Registered Users
They tacos are tasty even if the attitude in general of the place is a little thick. And yes, the tall bald dude has zero charm. And his attitude is contagious among the staff. One night we were in there and we had ordered our meal after shlepping around Manhattan all day. I went to wash up and get the kids washed up and they said the bathroom was out of order. I said, we need to wash our hands before we eat tacos. They guy wasn't going to give me acess to the sink, but I kind of forced our way in. We washed up one two three, eating in a hurry because the little ones had to go. One of the guys looked like he wanted to take me outside to settle some score. Seems to me, however, that if the facilities are down you either (1) tell everyone before they order and pay for the food or (2) just close untill its working.
On the other hand, the latina behind the counter is warm and friendly.
And then there are the times we have come a few minutes before closing when the tall dude quips, "Too late."
We still go, but infrequently now.
Publius

Posted on: 2008/5/19 21:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/22 20:18
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Crema Restaurante in NYC is also very good. The Guac is homemade and the best i've had. excellent mexican food.

http://www.cremarestaurante.com/

Posted on: 2008/5/19 13:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
Why no guacamole? They act like it's not Mexican. Well neither is your helvetica font! But I double dog dare you to find a place in LA that doesn't serve guacamole, and it's not like those places are catering to white hipsters.

I think the no guacamole thing has more to do with the expense of avocados, and the problem of keeping it fresh - most of Taqueria's stuff is just a little on the tired side, and guacamole gets brown quickly.

That being said, the best place on the *planet*, in my old neighborhood in LA (a tiny shack in the corner of a liquor store parking lot, but they won some James Beard award a few years ago)

http://losangeles.citysearch.com/revi ... /page/2?providerSource=cs

They don't do guacamole either, but then they're not a restaurant - anyway if you're ever near Hillhurst Ave. in Los Feliz, do yourself a favor - go to Yuca's and get the Cochinita Pibil (marinated pork from the Yucatan), either taco or burrito. The Asada is correct and perfect too. It's family owned, been there for at least 17 years.

In the city, there's a small place on Hudson, Mexicana Mama - they get it mostly right. Hard to squeeze into though. For higher-end stuff there Mi Cocina up the street, very good. Skip either of the Rosa Mexicana's entirely though - it's Chili's with money.

Posted on: 2008/5/19 12:53
"Someday a book will be written on how this city can be broke in the midst of all this development." ---Brewster

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/8/6 12:00
From Hoboken
Group:
Registered Users
My Freinds and I LOVE this place. This is one of the best places around to eat. Fast, friendly service and great tasting food. When my sister was here a few months ago, I took her here and she went crazy for it. She used to live close to the Mexican border and she really misses the food she used to eat down there. Taqueria fit the bill for what she has been missing.
Now that I live in Hoboken and it is not right down the street from me, I will still make sure I pop in at least once a week.

Gina

Posted on: 2008/5/19 12:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I still say, Bubbys Bubbys Bubbys - Taqueria maybe have a little more 'authentic' food (and name) - but Bubby's, even though it's kind of California-fied, is tastier to me, and (I think) way fresher.... fresher than Taqueria and fresher than places like Benny's in the city. One of the few instances (along with Savas and Shadman) where it's really better over here.

I find Taqueria's food strangely bland. And the folks at Bubby's are great.

Posted on: 2008/5/19 11:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/30 0:28
From Belmont Ave.
Group:
Registered Users
I went last week. It was alright. The food was pretty good, friendliness was lacking, but nothing I'd call outright rude.

Posted on: 2008/5/18 19:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/3/27 15:08
Group:
Banned
Quote:

jmolder wrote:
I never had a prob at Taqueria, they are super friendly and the environment is always pleasant. The place lacks attitude and serves really simple food. It is not for the snobbish or people that need to be the center of attention. Its a total positive place so if you walk in with negativity the positive forces will kick your butt out.

"The place lacks attitude"? It's "not for the snobbish"?

What one considers "attitude" or "snobbish" is subjective, to be sure, but I can definitely say I encountered what I consider some seriously bad attitude the two times I was there.

I don't go to back to Taqueria for the same reasons I try to minimize my time spent in Williamsburg, Brooklyn. Some people love it there, and good for them. Just not my thing.

Posted on: 2008/5/17 15:55

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/8/27 13:32
Group:
Registered Users
Robotjustin, I am fairly certain that the Taqueria is cooking Northern Mexican food, which is a little different from Californian- Mexican or most Mexican food Americans are used to eating. And having driven from Austin to Mexico City (and eating along the way at extremely non-touristy roadside stands) I can testify that there is no guacamole in Northern Mexico. It's all about the tortillas, beans, cheese and machaca.

Long live the Taqueria!

Posted on: 2008/5/17 15:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/7/18 18:17
Group:
Banned
I love tacos. They are my favorite food. I once spent TWO DAYS in LA JUST EATING TACOS. I would stop at every stand or restaruant, no matter what, and eat a taco. I ate at least 70 tacos a day. There is not better food on earth than a taco, IMHO. I'm not even Mexican. I just love tacos, and could eat them exclusively for the rest of my life. I would almost be willing to die, if my life would mean that tacos would be saved for humanity. Like if a race of aliens came and said, "either someone is sacrificed or we destroy all tacos forever!" I'd step up.

TACOS ARE THE MOST DELICIOUS NUTRITIOUS AND WONDERFUL FOODSTUFF ON EARTH!

That said, Tacqueria makes lousy tacos. The food is pretty lousy overall, compared to "real" taco places, like the millions of taco joints in LA. There are also two ladies that sell tacos on the street from a truck in Union City that make great tacos too.

And I think that Tacqueria has some serious attitude. Even the menu is snarky. Why no guacamole? They act like it's not Mexican. Well neither is your helvetica font! But I double dog dare you to find a place in LA that doesn't serve guacamole, and it's not like those places are catering to white hipsters. They act like it's like serving a chalupa. Why no guacamole? It was invented by the Aztecs. Read this if you don't believe me:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guacamole

If you're going to be elite, snobby, and "too cool for school," you might as well have some good tacos.

Tacqueria might as well serve up some old el paso! Probably be more authentic.

As to whoever said "don't say anything you wouldn't say to someones face," that's fine advice if you're not commenting on public figures in a public establishment, especially one that serves terrible tacos, which, if I have my way, will one day be a high crime in the world court.

TACOS FOR LIFE!

Posted on: 2008/5/17 9:09

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/8/27 13:32
Group:
Registered Users
I've never ever had a problem there. Love the food! I'm getting hungry just thinking about that machaca burrito. As for ambience, there isn't much. I liken it to hanging out in my friend's basement during middle school. But that's not the point of going there. The food is!

Posted on: 2008/5/16 20:00

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/4/6 19:03
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

linky wrote:
[quote]
And regarding dirty high chairs..........just sit them in there for crying out loud, and let them develop a decent immune system.

haahaa!!! Love it!! An attitude more should adopt!

Posted on: 2008/5/16 18:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/8/9 20:03
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

elvis wrote:
You are all nuts. Great food. Great atmosphere. Good tunes. SO your little toddlers can't go there? Fine go to Chilis or somehwere family friendly and leave the rest of us to enjoy the amazing food Taqueria churns out daily.

I take my two little kids to Taqueria, and I thank God that I can bring them to a cute place with real food as an alternative to a hell hole like Chilis.

And I have never had a problem with my kids there or with the nice tall guy at the counter. My kids can be just as bratty and annoying as all the rest. That's why I don't bring them to fancy places at peak dining time. Nor do I bring them out when they are tired or cranky. And they know from experience that they will be removed from a restaurant when they act up.

Posted on: 2008/5/16 18:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/1/15 16:41
Group:
Registered Users
You are all nuts. Great food. Great atmosphere. Good tunes. SO your little toddlers can't go there? Fine go to Chilis or somehwere family friendly and leave the rest of us to enjoy the amazing food Taqueria churns out daily.

Posted on: 2008/5/16 17:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/4 17:25
Group:
Registered Users
They'd rather go under than provide truly friendly service. I think of them as the Taco Nazis, except they act friendly at first, and once you annoy them in the slightest, their deep inner anger and bitterness comes to the surface.

I'd prefer to give my business to a *real* authentic mexican place if one opened up downtown...some place with a more family and friendly atmosphere and true mexican heritage food without the "holier than thou" attitude. But for now, I'm glad to have them here. They do make the only somewhat authentic taco downtown that I know of, and that is how they stay in business.

Posted on: 2008/5/16 17:17

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/10/1 17:18
Group:
Registered Users
I never had a prob at Taqueria, they are super friendly and the environment is always pleasant. The place lacks attitude and serves really simple food. It is not for the snobbish or people that need to be the center of attention. Its a total positive place so if you walk in with negativity the positive forces will kick your butt out.

Posted on: 2008/5/16 17:08

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/10/10 16:29
Group:
Registered Users
i dunno, maybe it's just that i put up with more, but i never had any issues with that guy in the glasses. if anything, he made me feel at home by learning what my name was and remembering it whenever i came back. it probably helped that i ordered pretty much the same thing every time, but yeah, didn't get any weird vibe off of him.

that said, i haven't been back in forever (probably close to a year now), so maybe it's different now. i should go back sometime, their pork sammiches were pretty darn tasty.

Posted on: 2008/5/16 16:54

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/12/15 14:38
From Grove St, Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
I think the food is almost as bad as the service.

Posted on: 2008/5/16 15:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/1/15 16:41
Group:
Registered Users
It was actually like two weeks ago. I should have been more clear in my original post. a family (exactly the same demographics as the one described above) was just letting their kids bang on stuff and yell. And the parents had that "we can just tune it out" attitude and had no regard for the rest of us.

Posted on: 2008/5/16 15:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

elvis wrote:
If you were the same family that was in there letting your kids scream while you tuned it out, then good riddance.

If not, bummer, but "family places" don't usually have AC/DC stools.

I doubt it they didn't stay long enough to make that kind of a scene.

Posted on: 2008/5/16 15:09

« 1 ... 17 18 19 (20) 21 22 23 24 »

Register To PostTopic is Locked

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017