Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
108 user(s) are online (91 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 108

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Controversial rapper Jim Jones to speak at Jersey City's "HIV/AIDS and the Hip-Hop Generation" e
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/3/27 15:08
Group:
Banned
Quote:

injcsince81 wrote:
Yep - Bill Cosby was absolutely murdered by people like you for exactly the same sentiment some time ago.

What a racist.

Gee, that was far easier than actually responding to the points I made, now wasn't it?

Cosby says a lot of good stuff, but it's legitimate to criticize exactly how "in touch" Cos is/has been with working-class and poor urban African-American experience in this generation to whom he was preaching. Context matters, and while Cosby was given the "kill the messenger" treatment, I can see where his message didn't sit well: equal parts difficulty with swallowing an unpleasant truth rarely spoken outright, and unhappiness at hearing it from somebody who you don't think understands your experience. But Cosby also aimed his message directly to those he felt were making excuses and failing to live up to their responsibilities. He (to my knowledge) never said anything remotely as destructive as your suggestion that urban African-American kid = parentless.

It's an insult to Dr. Cosby to reductively mischaracterize his remarks as boiling down to "urban African-American kids have no 'parents'" as you so gleefully assume. "Exact same sentiment"? Hardly. If you really think addressing those that do equates to labeling all, there's really not much you'll take away from a reasoned conversation.

Your m.o. is ever so predictable: drop a bomb, get a response that takes the time to counter the things you say, and then take your ball and go home with a one-liner that adds nothing.

Posted on: 2008/5/15 21:06

Re: Controversial rapper Jim Jones to speak at Jersey City's "HIV/AIDS and the Hip-Hop Generation" e
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/8/15 13:56
Group:
Banned
Yep - Bill Cosby was absolutely murdered by people like you for exactly the same sentiment some time ago.

What a racist.

Posted on: 2008/5/15 20:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

injcsince81 wrote:
I'd try to invite a local pro sports figure (Knicks, Nets, Yankees, Mets, Giants, Jets, etc, etc).

That's not how things work. You don't call a random sports figure and tell them here's the issue you're looking for them to speak on behalf of, and hand them a canned speech. Certainly when the issue is HIV/AIDS and there is still a significant amount of stigma and ignorance when it comes to how willing people are to speak out about it. Good luck getting those phone calls returned.

People have causes they feel passionately about, and those are the people who make the rounds doing outreach and trying to break through to kids (and adults).

Quote:

Heck, I'd try to contact Magic Johnson (he has a dog in this fight) - although that's a long shot.

Obviously Magic Johnson is the face of this issue to a lot of people (particularly of a certain generation), but I would question whether even he would have the impact on a group of kids the way a current hip-hop performer would. You're showing your age, and missing the point that events like these aren't about who *you* would like to see come to a JC public school, or who would move *you* into thinking differently about HIV/AIDS. I'd put Magic way closer to C. Everett Coop on the spectrum than I would to Jim Jones.

You can piss and moan about how evil hip-hop is and how kids should be shielded from it or at least not encouraged towards the messages a large part of hip-hop music deals with. Or you can actually open your eyes and accept the reality that it not going anywhere, and can be a tool by which good can be achieved.

I'm no fan of the misogynistic, materialistic, violent messages in a lot of hip-hop music, but I recognize it's out there, and people within the community actually interested in doing good should be encouraged, not shot down. Whether you get on it or not, that ship has sailed, so best make good use of it.

Quote:

HIV/AIDS awareness is certainly a great cause and there is a chance one of the athletes might agree to talk to the kids.

And in the time spent to try and secure, educate, and woo those athletes that pass your test but that don't feel passionately about the issue at hand, people who are already speaking out and doing that work should be overlooked? Exactly what imaginary resources are you basing your perfect-world hypotheses on?

Quote:

Regarding my comment about not having parents - there is a difference between being conceived and born and actually *having parents*, Einstein.

Absentee parents don't count for the purpose of my statement.

But your bigoted and arrogant assumption that "they [these kids]" all (or even predominately) don't "ha[ve] parents" or that inner city public school educated children automatically have "absentee parents" certainly does count for the purpose of your statement.

Posted on: 2008/5/15 20:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
I'd try to invite a local pro sports figure (Knicks, Nets, Yankees, Mets, Giants, Jets, etc, etc).

Heck, I'd try to contact Magic Johnson (he has a dog in this fight) - although that's a long shot.

HIV/AIDS awareness is certainly a great cause and there is a chance one of the athletes might agree to talk to the kids.

Regarding my comment about not having parents - there is a difference between being conceived and born and actually *having parents*, Einstein.

Absentee parents don't count for the purpose of my statement.

Posted on: 2008/5/15 19:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

injcsince81 wrote:
Quote:

SalOnTheHill wrote:
Quote:

greenville wrote:
Wow great way to mentor the kids by bringing a gangsta rapper. Our policitans are so smart!!!

Yeah, god forbid kids hear an important, life-or-death message from somebody they might actually pay attention to.

They'd listen to their parents, if they, uhm, had parents.

Really, they're being grown in petri dishes? Or reproducing by binary fission?

Quote:

Lacking that, I'd think there are a few public figures in the spectrum between C. Everett Coop and a gangsta rapper they'd pay some attention to.

Dontcha think?

Who would you recommend, that is actively involved in raising awareness of the need for HIV testing, and would be available to speak to groups of students in Jersey City, NJ?

If the options readily available are:

a.) A messenger who might otherwise be objectionable on some issues, but who could actually get the attention of kids and make a positive impact in this area, or
b.) No messenger at all, or worse, somebody with little to no chance of making a connection to those most at risk

I'm picking option a.) every time. We don't live in a perfect world, and I'll pick genuine communication of an important message from an imperfect messenger over appearance of propriety to make those not at risk feel better about it. Every time.

Posted on: 2008/5/15 17:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/14 0:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

SalOnTheHill wrote:
Quote:

greenville wrote:
Wow great way to mentor the kids by bringing a gangsta rapper. Our policitans are so smart!!!

Yeah, god forbid kids hear an important, life-or-death message from somebody they might actually pay attention to.

Something tells me C. Everett Coop wouldn't really captivate a JC school auditorium.

But hey, why portray any effort to raise awareness of HIV/AIDS neutrally if not positively when a video has been banned in Canada. Oh the scandal.

Nancy Reagan probably isn't going to get too much attention either, except as a curiousity, true enough. But it's sad when a thug who advocates violence against witnesses to crime is the only person who can "speak to people" about a public health issue.

Violence & witness intimidation are bigger threats to these kids daily lives than HIV would ever be.

GWB

Posted on: 2008/5/15 11:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

SalOnTheHill wrote:
Quote:

greenville wrote:

They'd listen to their parents, if they, uhm, had parents.

Lacking that, I'd think there are a few public figures in the spectrum between C. Everett Coop and a gangsta rapper they'd pay some attention to.

Dontcha think?

Posted on: 2008/5/15 11:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

greenville wrote:

Something tells me C. Everett Coop wouldn't really captivate a JC school auditorium.

But hey, why portray any effort to raise awareness of HIV/AIDS neutrally if not positively when a video has been banned in Canada. Oh the scandal.

Posted on: 2008/5/15 5:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/7 20:21
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2008/5/15 4:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

njxbean wrote:
controversial?

His video was banned in Canada because he had people wearing "stop snitching" t-shirts.

http://www.freemuse.org/sw10635.asp

"At issue are t-shirts worn in the hip-hop video that state, "Stop Snitchin'" overtop a red shape resembling a stop sign."

He has also been said to be very homophoblic.

http://www.blender.com/news/comments.aspx?article=10198&src=dom

Posted on: 2008/5/15 1:26

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/10/17 23:54
Group:
Registered Users
He's probably getting him confused with this guy

Posted on: 2008/5/15 1:17

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/20 13:44
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
For the sake of all of us who are unaware of the controversies in Hip-Hop, what has Jim Jones said/done that is controversial?

Posted on: 2008/5/15 0:53

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/4/19 1:12
Group:
Registered Users
controversial?

Posted on: 2008/5/14 23:26

Controversial rapper Jim Jones to speak at Jersey City's "HIV/AIDS and the Hip-Hop Generation" event
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Jim Jones to Speak at Jersey City's "HIV/AIDS and the Hip-Hop Generation" Event

Posted May 14, 2008

Rapper Jim Jones has been tapped to make an appearance a National HIV Testing Day ceremony in Jersey City, NJ. The Harlem native will speak on June 27 to a attendees at Public School #4-107 about the importance of getting tested for HIV/AIDS.

For his participation in the event, Jones will receive a Proclamation from the city. New Jersey Senator Sandra Cunningham and Jersey City Mayor Jerramiah Healy will present the honor, according to AllHipHop

National HIV Testing Day event is being organized by the City of Jersey City. The event is designed as a community mobilization and social marketing campaign that encourages people to take advantage of voluntary HIV counseling, testing and prevention services. The event is open to the public, but those seeking entry must first be tested. Organizers will provide information about available medical care for those who test HIV-positive.

Jones has shown himself to be something of a spokesperson for the cause, as he also participated in the symposium titled "HIV/AIDS and the Hip-Hop Generation," at Howard University in March of this year.

Posted on: 2008/5/14 23:03

« 1 (2)

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017