Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
115 user(s) are online (96 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 115

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Lincoln Park/St Peters College Area: Head injuries for man after being struck by car
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/4 19:36
From McGinley Square / Lincoln Park
Group:
Registered Users
My 2 cents: the jaywalkers on these 4 lane roads (JFK, Montgomery, etc) are a WAY bigger problem than the speeders. I've seen speeding tickets being given out, but never a jaywalking ticket. Worst offenders: the people who run across against the right-of-way pushing a baby carriage and dragging a toddler.

Posted on: 2008/5/1 15:08

Re: Lincoln Park/St Peters College Area: Head injuries for man after being struck by car
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/11/12 12:56
Group:
Registered Users
The real bitch is that the driver of the car, who in any normal state in this country, would call his insurance company to get the scuff marks the JAYWALKING pedestrian made buffed out. Nope. Not in Jersey. He had better hope he has good insurance because his ass is getting sued. No matter if he didn't get a ticket. He's gonna get rung up for the whole nut. It happened to my uncle. He whacked a guy who ran out into traffic while being chased by the police. So a skel who had just done something horrible is getting chased by the cops, runs out into Kennedy up in Union City and my uncle was found liable. $250000 later and 6 years later, if the guy he hit (not my uncle's fault) gets a cold, my uncle gets served with papers.

Posted on: 2008/5/1 11:43

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/5/2 11:33
Group:
Registered Users
The stretch of Kennedy from Communipaw to Sip should be re-named NASCAR Speedway. It is dumb to cross it against the light, but it is criminal the way ithe street is driven.

Contributing to the danger at the intersection where the man was struck, is the counter-intuitive traffic light pattern. Describing the sequence of who is allowed to turn or go straight in words is like trying to describe a spiral staircase over the phone to someone who has never seen one before.

Crossing with the light only reduces risk, but does not eliminate the possibility of being struck.

Cars turn illegally every few minutes at Kennedy intersections where No Turn on Red is the posted. One short block from the scene of that accident, at Fairmount and Kennedy, cars race up the long hill from West Side Ave to avoid the traffic on Montgomery.

At the corner, where they want to turn right, the view of traffic to their left of the curve on Kennedy is further obscured by parked cars, a mail box, and the usual street furniture. So, despite catching a red light, a car will creep slowly forward, the driver craning his neck to the left to see oncoming (often speeding) cars, buses and trucks.

Meanwhile, a pedestrian crossing with the Walk sign,may be in the crosswalk to the driver's right. The driver sees an opening, stomps on the gas, pulls a sharp right turn, and wham - the pedestrian is struck, sometimes from behind. That's what happened last Fall to a mother crossing with an infant in her arms.

Lucky for them, the were not run over but swiped to the side and landed "right."

In ten years of living at between Fairmount and Duncan, I have never once seen a single illegal right turn given a ticket. At some hours of the day, a cop could give them out every 5 minutes.

BTW - years ago, trucks were banned from Kennedy. Those making a local delivery were limited to the two or three blocks needed for access. Now it's an alternative to turnpike.

Posted on: 2008/5/1 9:31

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/3/30 16:31
From journal square
Group:
Registered Users
pedestrians do this all the time, acting like they have the right of way crossing a street against the light.

Posted on: 2008/5/1 5:44

Lincoln Park/St Peters College Area: Head injuries for man after being struck by car
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Head injuries for man after being struck by car

April 28, 2008

A 35-year-old Bayonne man was severely injured when he was hit by a car on Saturday night, police said.

Robert H. Sullivan Jr. was taken to the Jersey City Medical Center, where he was in "stable but guarded" condition with severe head injuries, according to police. A hospital spokesman could not be reached last night for an update on his condition.

Sullivan was crossing Kennedy Boulevard at Montgomery Street just before 10:40 p.m. when he was hit by a 2006 Mazda sedan traveling south on Kennedy Boulevard, police said.

Police reports indicated the front windshield was shattered by the impact.

The driver, a 59-year-old Jersey City resident, told police he had the green light and didn't see Sullivan running across Kennedy Boulevard until it was too late. He said he slammed on the brakes and swerved to the right but couldn't avoid the pedestrian.

A witness told police a similar account of the accident, reports stated.

JOURNAL STAFF

Posted on: 2008/4/30 13:18

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017