Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
111 user(s) are online (92 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 111

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 7 8 »

Re: Stop Signs on Erie Street - Steven FUlop
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/18 1:45
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Any update on the Stop signs on Erie?

Robin.

Posted on: 2008/5/15 18:36

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/4/2 10:50
Group:
Registered Users
Steve -

Adding stop signs on Erie is not going to help. If at all, it will slow down traffic and cause road rage making people break traffic laws even more than they do today.

How about a blinking red or a stop sign at the corner of Manila and 8th? There's a school right around the corner and there's a lot of pedestrian traffic cutting through Manila on 8th to get to HP. On schoolday mornings, a lady volunteers (is she paid?) to regulate/stop traffic. But, on other times, cars zip through Manila, often at close to highway speeds! And, as pedestrians, you can't even see the road before because of parked cars.

I personally had a close encounter when I along with my friends and kinds (in strollers) were crossing the street one late evening. A flashy SUV sped across at least 50 mph and braked real hard to stop for us. My friend ran across the street dragging the stroller to avoid being hit. When we asked, the moron actually threatened to run us over!! There was no way for us to predict as the driver just got to cormer of the previous street and was in this god forbidden intersection in a flash of a second!

Residents in and around HP - if you support this, please keep this thread alive and useful by posting your support here.

I think that junction is a deathtrap waiting to happen followed by a lawsuit! Should we wait to react or actually address people's problems beforehand without waiting for an inciddent to trigger change?

Posted on: 2008/4/29 18:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/7/30 1:08
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
just to bring the subject back up. depending how this is handled by the council; new resolution or changing the prior proposal after untabling, the public can and should comment.

here is another idea - ban right turns on red lights - keeps the intersections free for crossing....

Quote:

StevenFulop wrote:
I would just like to give you an update on where things stand with this issue. I have been working with John Yurchak (Director of DPW), Captain McDonough (East District Police), and the Parking Authority. What we have come up with is this:

1. A stop sign will be placed on Erie at 3rd Street.
2. A stop sign will be placed on Erie at 7th Street.
3. The Parking Authority will be stepping up enforcement on parking at the curbs.
4. Crosswalks will be repainted.

Additionally, the blinking light on Erie at 10th Street might be switched to a standard traffic light in the near future.

The East District will also continue to keep an eye on speeding in the area.

This is a good start. The area will be monitored to see if this is effective or more is needed. This is very important as it relates to the changing needs of the area and its residents.

Sincerely,

Steven Fulop
Councilman Ward ?E?

Posted on: 2008/4/29 15:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/29 4:06
Group:
Banned
Quote:

ECH wrote:
Quote:

alb wrote:

I don't think letting cars turn from Newark onto Erie is a big deal, but it seems to me that letting cars go from Barrow to Erie messes up traffic in a lot of different ways.

Agreed. If you stand and watch cars on Erie Street down by the police hq, you will see that the majority of cars are
barrelling up out of Barrow.

If the city decides that it has to let people go from Barrow to Erie, then maybe one thing that would help would be to acknowledge that and put up traffic lights, etc. to regulate that.

I think that one reason even reasonably nice drivers race from Barrow onto Erie is that they're afraid of getting hit by a car barreling down Newark.

In other words: the drivers aren't really trying to kill stroller moms crossing Erie at Bay. They're just trying not to get sideswiped on Newark.

If there were a traffic light protecting the cars crossing Newark to get to Erie, then the responsibleBarrow-to-Erie drivers might do a better job of looking out for pedestrians.

Posted on: 2008/4/28 19:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
One of the new, large, fluorescent Green pedestrian crossing signs is lying on the floor outside my house.

I have reported the downed signs.

This website can be used to report problems with Street Signs or traffic signals: http://jcnj.org/public_works.aspx?id=1432

Robin.

Posted on: 2008/4/28 16:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/7/20 16:31
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

alb wrote:

So, the council member essentially said it's OK for motorists to roar up Erie and keep going (at least up to Third or Fourth Street) whether there are pedestrians in the crosswalks right in front of police headquarters or not.

To me, it seems as if one of the best ways to fix the problem would be to ban cars from going from Barrow to Erie.

I don't think letting cars turn from Newark onto Erie is a big deal, but it seems to me that letting cars go from Barrow to Erie messes up traffic in a lot of different ways.

Agreed. If you stand and watch cars on Erie Street down by the police hq, you will see that the majority of cars are
barrelling up out of Barrow. They're all using Erie
to get on up to the tunnel. Stopping the cross-
over of Newark from Barrow will cut down on a lot
of cars.
All of my acquaintances from Bayonne get to the
tunnel via Erie St. Ridiculous, when there are
all those posh streets on the waterfront that
drivers should be using but are ignoring.
You walk around over by Newport and the rest of
those new-built atrocities, and you see no cars on the roads.
Why's that?

Posted on: 2008/4/28 16:11

Sign on floor.
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
One of the new, large, fluorescent Green pedestrian crossing signs is lying on the floor outside my house.

Another is lying outside the dry cleaners on Erie and Pavoinia.

Anyone know what is going on, should I notify a City department?

Robin.

Posted on: 2008/4/28 16:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
I was watching a little bit of what I think was a city council meeting (or maybe a council committee meeting? not sure) on Comcast Channel 1.

Fulop was talking about how the city should put more stop signs, "watch out for pedestrian signs," etc. on Erie and other downtown streets.

The following might be somewhat garbled, but I think Fulop was asking for stop signs at Bay and Erie, and/or at First and Erie.

Then a woman council member who sits to Fulop's right (Viola Richardson? Willie Flood?) was saying that the city could put a stop sign on Bay or First because traffic would be backed up.

Fulop pointed out that Erie wasn't designed to be used as a thruway to the Holland Tunnel road.

The council member said something about a lot of housing going up and creating new traffic pressure.

What no one pointed out, though, is that, as far as I can recall, there are crosswalks crossing Erie and Bay and First. Technically, legally, if pedestrians start crossing at any reasonably safe time (e.g., before a car turns onto Erie), the cars are supposed to be stopping for the pedestrians in the Bay and First crosswalks, even if there aren't any stop signs.

So, the council member essentially said it's OK for motorists to roar up Erie and keep going (at least up to Third or Fourth Street) whether there are pedestrians in the crosswalks right in front of police headquarters or not.

To me, it seems as if one of the best ways to fix the problem would be to ban cars from going from Barrow to Erie.

Posted on: 2008/4/28 14:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

greenville wrote:
Quote:

alb wrote:
Quote:

Robocub wrote:

I hope the crossing guard is OK and I hope she sues the driver who hit her. I thank her every time I see her out there.

I wonder if there's a way to sue the city to get it to enforce traffic laws.

If you sue them for that also make sure to also make them fix all those damn potholes in downtown. Like all of f%$#@!# downtown is filled with pot holes especially around the Grand St area.

http://mycusthelp.com/JERSEYCITYNJ/_cs/RequestSelect.aspx you can report potholes and lots of other stuff on the official Jersey City website after you join (it's free). I happen to think that potholes may be the only way to slow some folks down in this city! Natural speed bumps! ( If you consider blacktop natural).

Posted on: 2008/4/27 23:51

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/19 1:27
Group:
Registered Users
Accident just happened today at 7:49 PM @ intersection 4th and Erie because of someone running a stop sign.

Posted on: 2008/4/27 23:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/4 17:25
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Robocub wrote:
I didn't see the actual accident but I must have just arrived right after. THere were about 6 JC police officers. Two cars were pulled over. It was hard to tell what had happened. I assumed it was a vehicle accident. WHen I passed the police on the sidewalk I looked down and saw blood droplets all over the sidewalk, in front of the Mall side. I got nervous thinking what could have happened after that.

This has to be a huge wakeup call about this goddam death trap waiting to happen. Or does the JC city council and PD actually need someone to die first before anything is done about this traffic nightmare.

I hope the crossing guard is OK and I hope she sues the driver who hit her. I thank her every time I see her out there.

Frankly I'd love to see a bridge built to cross over the roadway, but don't stop there. I'd like that bridge to go all the way over the Mall and terminate on the other side near the Path entrance. That way I wont have to cross that death trap of a road and walk through that wretched Mall ever again.

A Sky-Bridge is an AWESOME idea. The city could totally do it too! They own the fire house right across the street. They could build a ramp over near the baseball field going all the way to the light-rail if they wanted.

When will these losers in our government get some god-damned inspiration?

Posted on: 2008/4/27 7:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/7 20:21
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

alb wrote:
Quote:

Robocub wrote:

If you sue them for that also make sure to also make them fix all those damn potholes in downtown. Like all of f%$#@!# downtown is filled with pot holes especially around the Grand St area.

Posted on: 2008/4/26 5:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Robocub wrote:

Posted on: 2008/4/26 3:43

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/8/29 11:21
From Jersey City, Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
I didn't see the actual accident but I must have just arrived right after. THere were about 6 JC police officers. Two cars were pulled over. It was hard to tell what had happened. I assumed it was a vehicle accident. WHen I passed the police on the sidewalk I looked down and saw blood droplets all over the sidewalk, in front of the Mall side. I got nervous thinking what could have happened after that.

This has to be a huge wakeup call about this goddam death trap waiting to happen. Or does the JC city council and PD actually need someone to die first before anything is done about this traffic nightmare.

Frankly I'd love to see a bridge built to cross over the roadway, but don't stop there. I'd like that bridge to go all the way over the Mall and terminate on the other side near the Path entrance. That way I wont have to cross that death trap of a road and walk through that wretched Mall ever again.

Posted on: 2008/4/25 21:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Thank God this woman is not dead. The driver should get more then a summons and now maybe the City/JCPD will do something about our Third World like traffic problems. Now that somebody has been hurt of course!

There might be some extenuating circumstances, but, if not, I'd definitely like to see the driver spend some time in a really awful prison. Or, better yet, a dungeon.

Posted on: 2008/4/25 21:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Thank God this woman is not dead. The driver should get more then a summons and now maybe the City/JCPD will do something about our Third World like traffic problems. Now that somebody has been hurt of course!

Posted on: 2008/4/25 20:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/23 17:09
Group:
Registered Users
Hero crossing guard undergoing surgery

by Journal staff Friday April 25, 2008, 12:46 PM

A crossing guard struck by a car this morning at 9th Street and Marin Boulevard is currently undergoing surgery for injuries she sustained to her arm, according to a police official.

The accident took place around 8:30 a.m. in front of the Golden Door Charter School, said Lt. Edgar Martinez.

Martinez identified the crossing guard as Judith Torres. "She saved the children who were crossing," Martinez said.

The motorist who struck Torres intially didn't stop, but another motorist pulled their vehicle in front of the car to stop it, he said.

The motorist who struck Torres has been issued summonses, Martinez said.

Quote:

jclxz wrote:
How about the crosswalk on Marin by 9th st? It is illegal to drive across the crosswalk if there is a pedestrian ANYWHERE in the crosswalk. And yet I can't even get cars to stop if they would hit me without me jumping out of the way.

I would really rather see our police resources used to fight real danger. Rolling stops aren't a real problem. Total disregard for stop signs, crosswalks, and flashing red lights (which mean the same as a stop sign!) is what creates a real danger.

I would like our police department to create a reputation that they will act to stop dangerous and illegal activities. The roads are so messed up here that you can't drive a mile without committing 10 infractions. But even enforcing the egregious ones would send a strong message.

When the light at 8th and Marin goes to flashing red at 11pm, NO ONE stops. Such is the level of respect for traffic laws.

I don't want to see people given tickets because they slowed to 1mph instead of a stop sign instead of stopped all the way. Not when this is actually SAFE behavior in comparison to what I experience every day here.

Posted on: 2008/4/25 19:55
soshin: Mention guns and bd pops up through a hole in the ground like a heavily armed meercat

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/20 14:33
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ripple wrote:
I think increased enforcement of existing stop signs makes way more sense than putting in new ones. Here's my master plan; can be adapted for any intersection but I'm using the one that affects me the most:

Step #1: Put plainclothes officer on foot at the corner of Wayne and Barrow

Step #2: Park patrol cruiser on Columbus at corner of Columbus and Barrow

Step #3: Every time a car rolls through the stop sign at Wayne & Barrow instead of coming to a complete stop (about 85% of the time), plainclothes radios to the patrol cruiser.

Step #4: Profit

Step #5: More $$ for more of this type of enforcement around downtown

Step #6: Downtown Jersey City develops a reputation amongst commuters as having some of the most draconian traffic enforcement around

Step #7: Commuters avoid downtown streets

Step #8: Downtown becomes much safer for pedestrians

Sheer genius!

Posted on: 2008/4/24 14:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/6/12 3:42
Group:
Registered Users
How about the crosswalk on Marin by 9th st? It is illegal to drive across the crosswalk if there is a pedestrian ANYWHERE in the crosswalk. And yet I can't even get cars to stop if they would hit me without me jumping out of the way.

I would really rather see our police resources used to fight real danger. Rolling stops aren't a real problem. Total disregard for stop signs, crosswalks, and flashing red lights (which mean the same as a stop sign!) is what creates a real danger.

I would like our police department to create a reputation that they will act to stop dangerous and illegal activities. The roads are so messed up here that you can't drive a mile without committing 10 infractions. But even enforcing the egregious ones would send a strong message.

When the light at 8th and Marin goes to flashing red at 11pm, NO ONE stops. Such is the level of respect for traffic laws.

I don't want to see people given tickets because they slowed to 1mph instead of a stop sign instead of stopped all the way. Not when this is actually SAFE behavior in comparison to what I experience every day here.

Posted on: 2008/4/23 23:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

ripple wrote:
I think increased enforcement of existing stop signs makes way more sense than putting in new ones. Here's my master plan; can be adapted for any intersection but I'm using the one that affects me the most:

Step #3: Every time a car rolls through the stop sign at Wayne & Barrow instead of coming to a complete stop (about 85% of the time), plainclothes radios to the patrol cruiser.

Step #6: Downtown Jersey City develops a reputation amongst commuters as having some of the most draconian traffic enforcement around

+1000! Choose whatever corner you like and you will get the same results.

Step #9 Net many of those folks with outstanding warrants/guns/drugs etc.

Posted on: 2008/4/23 22:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/12/18 14:09
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2008/4/23 22:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/7/20 16:31
Group:
Registered Users
Nightly, I pray that Erie Street becomes off limits
to ALL car and truck traffic.

Trying to cross that little neighborhood street
in the middle of the afternoon (the time of the
day when there is the LEAST traffic) is just
as hard as trying to cross Sixth Avenue in midtown--
except that, come to
think of it, midtown is actually easier, since they
have traffic lights and rules in the city. We have
neither here.

My new mantra: Keep on paying those big,
big taxes, folks, and expect nothing in return.

Posted on: 2008/4/16 16:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Excellent news, a stop sign on 7th and the traffic light working should make a tangible difference to my stretch of Erie. This is more than I ever dared hope for.

Lets hope nothing crops up to stop this going through.

Robin.

Posted on: 2008/4/16 15:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
yep, around 8am or so, we looked back from 2nd St....

Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
Quote:

today, another near miss at 3rd and Erie due to a speeding vehicle on Erie.

The hummer/jeep thing on Erie and the little sedan crossing on third?

Posted on: 2008/4/14 16:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

The hummer/jeep thing on Erie and the little sedan crossing on third?

Posted on: 2008/4/14 16:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
there was an accident last Friday, 4/11 around 7:40am at the intersection of 3rd and Jersey Ave., resulting in a pick up going up on the NE corner. Had it been 5 min later, the crossing guard would have been at her position on that corner and likely hit.

I threw in the towel at the last city council meeting at 11pm, can anyone update on the revised proposals for Erie St?

Posted on: 2008/4/14 16:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/23 17:09
Group:
Registered Users
Robin,

Once an ordinance is drafted by the traffic division, that draft is sent to the city's law department and simultaneously to the State inspector's office. The State then sends out a work order upon receipt. Since there is only one inspector for the entire state (over 500 municipalities), this takes way longer than it should. So it is doubtful that the inspection will happen before the ordinance reaches its final vote, however, the process is started right away.

I have been assured that the Traffic Division did send out their ordinance right away to the DOT. So it is in their hands. No one is questioning that the DOT needs to approve this project. However, there is no need for the ordinance to be approved before the inspection takes place. Lack of manpower has simply made that the rule of thumb.

There have even been instances where an ordinance has been voted down and an inspector comes out months later and approves the project. Of course you need both approval from the DOT and the Municipal Council, however, there is no need to wait to get the ordinance approved before the State approves.

This information comes from the Traffic Division.

Quote:

r_pinkowitz wrote:
Althea,

No stop sign or Traffic signal can be legally installed without D.O.T. approval. In order for the D.O.T. to give approval the ordinance for the need of these devices must be written and approved by JC Council.

Posted on: 2008/4/8 14:25
soshin: Mention guns and bd pops up through a hole in the ground like a heavily armed meercat

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/2 19:00
From Jersey Cxxx
Group:
Registered Users
Also, the N.JD.O.T. during the pre construction meetings of the 139 project agreed to monitor and implement what ever was needed when certain phases of the project started to impact our local roadways. There is no doubt that the local roadways are feeling this impact.

Most recently the ramp coming down from Kennedy Bvd. has been closed for many hours during the day, forcing motorists to turn right onto Palisade Ave and left onto Newark Ave. These motorists are now forced to use local roads such as Monmouth, Jersey,Erie and Marin. This combined with the numerous amt of cars that use Grand Street exit off the Turnpike, the changes made to turns on Montgomery Ave and our our own local traffic is causing increase traffic on our roads.

There should be concessions made by the NJDOT as promised that, they will install temporary traffic flows devices when needed and they must bypass/expedite some of the normal procedures since this project is in full swing.

Below is a quick find on some of the meeting minutes:

http://www.state.nj.us/transportation ... ducts/pdf/july605memo.pdf

http://www.state.nj.us/transportation ... ts/pdf/feb2205minutes.pdf

These types of meetings that were attended by a representatives of all the associations, various local and state departments need to continue.The the D.O.T needs to react quickly to our needs based on the impact of this project and how it relates to all of downtown and neighboring Wards.

Posted on: 2008/4/8 11:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/4 17:25
Group:
Registered Users
An interesting article from california:
http://www.ocregister.com/articles/dm ... -2011354-program-records#

It seems some people on this street blame the police for many of their traffic and parking woes, but enforcement of them seems impossible.

Well what if the citizens living along the street could give out parking tickets? Simply take a photograph of the offending vehicle, clearly demonstrating violation and capturing the license plate, then email it to the violations bureau. The violator gets a ticket.

Or would this be too problematic, what with photoshop and weird neighbor parking rivalries and such?

Oh well. Perhaps someone living on the street will take it upon themselves to document these offenses and bring them to a council meeting at some point.

Posted on: 2008/4/8 0:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/2 19:00
From Jersey Cxxx
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Althea wrote:
Uh, where did you hear the DOT denied an application? This is news to me. Could you expand on that? It is very unusual for the Traffic Division to draw up an ordinance when the State inspector has given the thumbs down.

This is sad and shocking news to find they have been so irresponsible. I'm assuming this is fact, correct?

Could you expand on what you called to find out about and share you findings here? I am sure most of us would like to hear the full story.

Althea,

No stop sign or Traffic signal can be legally installed without D.O.T. approval. In order for the D.O.T. to give approval the ordinance for the need of these devices must be written and approved by JC Council.

Posted on: 2008/4/8 0:05

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 7 8 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017