Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
103 user(s) are online (93 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 103

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Lincoln Park & West Bergen: VIOLENT WEEKEND -- 3 slain in Jersey City say shootings unrelated
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/26 22:12
Group:
Registered Users
Jersey City man convicted in 2008 shooting death on 8th day of deliberations

By Michaelangelo Conte/The Jersey Journal
November 09, 2012 at 2:26 PM

Quaheem Johnson, accused in the shooting death and robbery of a Jersey City man and the robbery of a second man, was found guilty this afternoon of aggravated manslaughter after marathon deliberations.

The jury was in its eighth day of deliberating and had asked for playback of some testimony this morning. Yesterday jurors were sent home early after deliberations became heated. Based on discussions in court, it's believed that some jurors were complaining that another juror was making up facts in the case.

Johnson, 25, of Jersey City, had been charged in the April 19, 2008 shooting death and robbery of Ramon Morales on West Side Avenue and the robbery of another man minutes later. Johnson was apprehended about 10 minutes after the crimes.

This was Johnson's second trial on the charges. His first trial, in May 2011, ended in a mistrial when one of the juror refused to continue after three people he associated with Johnson came to his home one night.

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... man_convicted_in_2_1.html

Posted on: 2012/11/9 21:59

Re: Lincoln Park & West Bergen: VIOLENT WEEKEND -- 3 slain in Jersey City say shootings unrelated
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Jersey City man arrested on charges of threatening jurors during brother's murder trial

Published: Wednesday, June 08, 2011, 3:00 AM
By Michaelangelo Conte/The Jersey Journal

A Jersey City man faces up to 20 years in prison following his arrest on charges he threatened jury members during his brother?s murder trial, which ended in a mistrial when a juror said he feared for his life, authorities said yesterday.

During jury deliberations and the trial, Dontae Johnson, 26, of Duncan Avenue, made either overt or implied threats, according to the complaint that led to his arrest Friday.

Authorities say that more than one juror said Dontae Johnson made contact with them outside the court and acted in a threatening manner toward them on multiple occasions during the trial of Johnson?s brother, Quaheem Johnson, 24.

Quaheem Johnson is charged in the April 19, 2008 shooting death of 21-year-old Ramon Francisco Morales, of Glenwood Avenue, during a robbery at West Side and Highland avenues.

Dontae Johnson was arrested at his home by Gang Task Force officers of the Hudson County Prosecutor?s Office and Jersey City Police Department, Hudson County Assistant Prosecutor Michael D?Andrea said.

Hudson County Superior Court Judge Joseph Isabella set his bail at $1 million cash only and he was remanded to the Hudson County jail in Kearny, D?Andrea said.

Quaheem Johnson?s trial was stopped during jury deliberations on April 4 after a juror told Isabella three men he associated with the defendant showed up at his house the previous night, officials said. It is alleged Dontae Johnson was one of those men, D?Andrea said.

The juror said the men smiled at him in a way he took to mean ?We know who you are,? Hudson County Assistant Prosecutor Gerard Breland said at the time.

Earlier in the trial, a juror became emotional as she told Isabella a person she knew from her neighborhood was in the courtroom and was staring at her. Another juror who complained of illness had been dismissed earlier in the trial.
Quaheem Johnson?s bail was raised from $1 million to $10 million after the mistrial was declared. A date for a new trial has not yet been set.

Posted on: 2011/6/8 13:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Mistrial declared in Jersey City murder trial after juror says persons with ties to defendant paid him a visit

Wednesday, May 04, 2011, 4:18 PM
By Michaelangelo Conte The Jersey Journal

A mistrial was declared in the murder trial of a Jersey City man today after a juror said he feared for his life after three men he associates with the defendant showed up at his home last night.

After declaring a mistrial this morning, Superior Court Judge Joseph Isabella raised the bail on the defendant, Quaheem Johnson, 24, from $1 million to $10 million, Hudson County Assistant Prosecutor Gerard Breland said.

Isabella also ordered him confined to his cell for all but a few hours per day.

The juror "came in this morning, told the judge about it, and said he would not be able to put it aside and try to finish the case," Breland said.
"He was afraid for himself and his family."

The juror said the men smiled at him in and "He took to mean 'We know who you are,'" Breland said.

The prosecutor said investigators are determining whether jury tampering charges are appropriate. The jury began deliberating Friday morning.

One of the men who showed up outside the juror's home is a relative of the defendant "and he has been in the courtroom a substantial period of time during the trial," Breland said.

Earlier in the trial a juror was frightened and emotional when she told the judge that a person she knew from her neighborhood was in the courtroom and was staring at her. She was dismissed. A third juror was dismissed due to illness.

"The message that I would want to convey to Mr. Johnson and his cohorts is that they are delaying the inevitable," Breland said.

Johnson will be retried, although a new date has not yet been set. Breland said steps will be taken during the retrial to ensure jurors are protected. Johnson is charged in the April 19, 2008 shooting death of 21-year-old Ramon Francisco Morales, of Glenwood Avenue, during a robbery at West Side and Highland avenues at 10:40 p.m., authorities said.

Johnson's attorney, Wanda Akin, could not be immediate be reached for comment.

Posted on: 2011/5/5 6:23

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/5/6 23:23
Group:
Registered Users
Who cares about the names or what locations are considered what. Three people have been slain. I know that one of the slain men had a 3 year old that goes to the school in where I work.

The poor families have been devasted and now children have lost parents. I can't believe how inhumane and violent people can be just to make a few dollars because they are to damn lazy to go and earn some themselves.

Posted on: 2008/4/30 23:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/7 20:21
Group:
Registered Users
Three people get killed and people are arguing on what's the name of the neighborhood? WOW! Theres two killers on the loose around there start worrying about that first.

Posted on: 2008/4/26 5:33

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/7/29 15:46
From Bayonne, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
Are you guys seriously sitting here and arguing over what to label the neighborhood.. who cares?

I work for a real estate company and the only reason names are given to certain areas is so agents can make money off of another "desireable" classification. who cares?

It seems everyone has brushed off the real matter here--3 shootings--and is more concerned about how to properly label the neighborhood.

I am a SPC student (commuter) and I had no idea about this situation as it happened at a time where I was not on campus. I first noticed the memorial on Monday.. and each day as I drove past it on my usual route to work it got bigger and bigger. I kind of brushed it off because I am so used to hearing about crime in Jersey City and Bayonne.

Today I was in a meeting in a building right across the street and about 12 (after his 11 o'clock funeral) the meeting was interrupted with non-stop horn blowing. At first I thought it was just another moron double parked or some impatient driver.. but after a long enough period of this honking.. I went to the window and what I saw was amazing.

Cars, over-filled, with people and loved ones all the way down the block from west side avenue to the blvd and around the block... When they finally stopped people had flowers and huge portraits of this gentleman.. people were crying everywhere. it was pretty touching..

I cant take this garbage anymore..

Posted on: 2008/4/24 22:54

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/5/20 20:55
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JPhurst wrote:
The term "West Bergen" has been around, and regularly used, for over a century.

This article refers to the neighborhood in 1891.

http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive- ... F9C94609ED7CF&oref=slogin

Here's a reference in 1961 (abstract of the article only)

http://select.nytimes.com/gst/abstrac ... sq=%22west+bergen%22&st=p

Reference to a land deal in the "Old West Bergen" neighborhood in 1933 (also abstract).

Here's an article about a rather interesting club founded by some young men in West Bergen in 1901.

http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive- ... 2A25755C0A96F9C946097D6CF

In any event, there are plenty more such references. West Bergen is, in fact, the historic name of the neighborhood. The "Lincoln Park" neighborhood is the more modern invention by realtors (although because the park is such a prominent part of the area, it's not inaccurate either).

Joshua

I think that maybe I blurred my point in this thread?.I agree that WestBergen is a valid name somewhere down the line?and according to The NYTimes, apparently.. I asked my mom when I first heard it (who I consider a JC Authority considering her family goes back circa 1880), ?Where the heck is West Bergen, she said, ?West Bergen is Westside?.

I was pointing out that in my 39 years here, a WS native (such as myself) would refer to the neighborhood in question as Westside?.As did my mom..We even wore shirts (well, not mom) ?West Side; The Best Side? (I kid you not). And, as I mentioned my WS friends and I couldn?t agree on the boundaries either?.except to agree that it runs the length of Westside and the North and South points are referred to as ?Marion? and ?Country Village? West is the Hacky..And, East is very hazy?When you hit Kennedy Blvd., we referred to it as ?The Boulevard?.

I?m not claiming that West Bergen is wrong or that I am an authority. ..?I?m just telling you what we call it ?

So, I digress. The real issue is this neighborhood is getting worse, not better. How can we help? I understand that there is a neighborhood association? That?s great?Afterall, it is the Bestside:o).

Posted on: 2008/4/23 15:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/8/5 3:20
From Jersey City Heights
Group:
Registered Users
wow, this guy is a real winner:

"Johnson is charged in the shooting death of 21-year-old Ramon Francisco Morales, 21, of Glenwood Avenue, during a robbery at West Side and Highland avenues on Saturday at 10:40 p.m., authorities said.

Johnson was released from jail in November after serving three months on a theft charge, authorities said. He'd previously served 15 months for aggravated assault, resisting arrest and receiving stolen property, according to the state Department of Corrections Web site."

i'm sure his mom will be interviewed and say "he's a good boy, it's the city's fault for not giving him an after school program"

Posted on: 2008/4/23 15:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/11/28 0:04
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
The term "West Bergen" has been around, and regularly used, for over a century.

This article refers to the neighborhood in 1891.

http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive- ... F9C94609ED7CF&oref=slogin

Here's a reference in 1961 (abstract of the article only)

Reference to a land deal in the "Old West Bergen" neighborhood in 1933 (also abstract).

Here's an article about a rather interesting club founded by some young men in West Bergen in 1901.

http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive- ... 2A25755C0A96F9C946097D6CF

In any event, there are plenty more such references. West Bergen is, in fact, the historic name of the neighborhood. The "Lincoln Park" neighborhood is the more modern invention by realtors (although because the park is such a prominent part of the area, it's not inaccurate either).

Joshua

Posted on: 2008/4/23 14:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Million-dollar bail holds street 'killer'

Tuesday, April 22, 2008
By CHARLES HACK
JOURNAL STAFF WRITER

A Superior Court judge set bail at $1 million for a robber with a long rap sheet who is charged with killing a man in one of three unrelated Jersey City slayings over the weekend.

Two other shooters wanted for homicides over the weekend are still at large, said Hudson County Prosecutor Edward DeFazio, who yesterday made a plea for witnesses to come forward to help solve those cases.

Quaheem Johnson, 21, of Duncan Avenue, who was being treated at Jersey City Medical Center for "health issues," was unable to make his scheduled appearance before the Central Judicial Processing Court. His seven-figure bail was set by Judge Melvin Kracov, officials said.

Johnson is charged in the shooting death of 21-year-old Ramon Francisco Morales, 21, of Glenwood Avenue, during a robbery at West Side and Highland avenues on Saturday at 10:40 p.m., authorities said.

Johnson was released from jail in November after serving three months on a theft charge, authorities said. He'd previously served 15 months for aggravated assault, resisting arrest and receiving stolen property, according to the state Department of Corrections Web site.

Just hours after Morales was killed, Kwaun Martin, 24, of Claremont Avenue, was killed and two other people were injured in a "premeditated" shooting on Orient Avenue near Martin Luther King Drive Sunday morning at about 12:40 a.m.

The deadly 24-hour period began with Damien Williams, 28, address unknown, being shot dead near the corner of Grant and Rose avenues on Saturday about 1 a.m., reports said.

Anyone with information on any of the three killings should contact the Hudson County Prosecutors Office Homicide squad at (201) 915-1345.

Posted on: 2008/4/23 14:06

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Well. I lived there in the 80s...I moved out in 1994, and I never heard of West Bergen until 2007 And, trust me, this is all tongue & cheek...Call it Kentucky for all I care...Just let's clean it up My husband calls me a Jersey City hick (which is totally true) and that my ultimate goal is to move us all back to WestSide...Plus, my friends and I had this debate about the boundaries of West Side....We all disagreed...The best we could do was agree that it runs the length of West Side Avenue.....

Posted on: 2008/4/22 15:46

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/9/28 23:53
From Moved to Dallas TX
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

justin wrote:
Actually, none of it qualifies because West Bergen is a bogus name....period. I'm sure someone called it West Bergen somewhere down the line

Justin...you're correct. The name West Bergen came about in the 1980s when the Lincoln Park neighbourhood first attempted to become a historic district. It was to be called the "West Bergen Historic District" however that attempt failed as there was not enough community support for the district.

When the West Bergen/Lincoln Park Neighbourhood Coalition was founded (founding member here) several names were tossed around as an identifier for the 'hood. My suggestion was Lincoln Park however there was strong sentiment for West Bergen by those that remained in the area and wanted to bridge the 15+ year gap in community efforts. There was about a 50/50 split vote on the names so we used both West Bergen and Lincoln Park as one name for the neighbourhood.

I don't know how they came up with West Bergen in the 80s...I didn't live in NJ then.

Posted on: 2008/4/22 12:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/3/27 15:08
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Mathias wrote:
Every story of crime becomes an argument over what to call the place where it happened. If it happens across the street, well that side of the street is a different neighborhood.

I understand the desire of people who bought real estate in Jersey City to try and do their best to present their lot as a great, safe neighborhood but ultimately you are not helping.

There are serious crime issues and government inefficiencies in this city that need to be dealt with.

I don't know anybody who lives in the Lincoln Park neighborhood who is under an illusions about the relative safety of their neighborhood, or of the need for much improvement, despite the neighborhood having come a long way in the last 20 years.

None of that changes the fact that listing any of the locations of these crime stories from the weekend as "Lincoln Park" is bad reporting, yes even Highland and West Side Avenues.

Maybe you should look to the obsessive JJ reposter who continually gets things wrong if you'd like to get to the bottom of why a large segment of (but hardly "every") crime stories on JCList turn into arguments over what the neighborhood is called.

Nobody's looking to paint a rosy picture - they're just tired of GrovePath getting it wrong. Again. And your condescension isn't exactly cleaning up the streets or making the government run more efficiently.

Posted on: 2008/4/22 1:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/1/22 9:03
From The Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Every story of crime becomes an argument over what to call the place where it happened. If it happens across the street, well that side of the street is a different neighborhood.

I understand the desire of people who bought real estate in Jersey City to try and do their best to present their lot as a great, safe neighborhood but ultimately you are not helping.

There are serious crime issues and government inefficiencies in this city that need to be dealt with.

Posted on: 2008/4/22 1:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/4 19:36
From McGinley Square / Lincoln Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

SalOnTheHill wrote:
No worries, I think it was cyclotronic who first confused Harrison Avenue (an actual street in the Lincoln Park neighborhood) with Highland Avenue.

Yeah, typo on my part. But I still stand by my statement. The title makes it sound like there were 3 murders in my neighborhood, which is not the case.

Posted on: 2008/4/21 21:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

justin wrote:
Yeah..Sorry. I don't know why I typed Harrison (I guess I was thinking of Lincoln Park)..I meant Glennwood/Highland.

No worries, I think it was cyclotronic who first confused Harrison Avenue (an actual street in the Lincoln Park neighborhood) with Highland Avenue.

Posted on: 2008/4/21 17:42

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Yeah..Sorry. I don't know why I typed Harrison (I guess I was thinking of Lincoln Park)..I meant Glennwood/Highland.

Posted on: 2008/4/21 17:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

justin wrote:
Quote:

cyclotronic wrote:
The title of this thread is misleading. Most of these crimes were not in the Lincoln Park / West Bergen neighborhood. Only Harrison & West Side would qualify.
Actually, none of it qualifies because West Bergen is a bogus name....period. I'm sure someone called it West Bergen somewhere down the line so that the RE Agents quickly relabelled...But, I lived there for 24 years, dad born there in 1910. Mom in 1926. I never heard of West Bergen until 2007. It's Westside, but, you are right....Even if they had it right, only Harrison qualifies....

And, I read one real estate ad this weekend that listed Williams Street as Journal Square......This stuff is almost as funny as calling Hells Kitchen Clinton:o)

With that being said, this article breaks my heart. It was a such a nice neighborhood when I was a kid.

Harrison Avenue is never mentioned in any of these articles.
Nor is the corner of Duncan Avenue and West Side Avenue ever mentioned as the location of a crime. An assailant living someplace does not make that place a scene of a crime - and the article makes no mention of where on Duncan this perp lived or was arrested. The murder in question happened at Highland Avenue and West Side, which is closer to Journal Square and St. Peter's College than it is to Lincoln Park.

Posted on: 2008/4/21 17:25

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

cyclotronic wrote:
The title of this thread is misleading. Most of these crimes were not in the Lincoln Park / West Bergen neighborhood. Only Harrison & West Side would qualify.
Actually, none of it qualifies because West Bergen is a bogus name....period. I'm sure someone called it West Bergen somewhere down the line so that the RE Agents quickly relabelled...But, I lived there for 24 years, dad born there in 1910. Mom in 1926. I never heard of West Bergen until 2007. It's Westside, but, you are right....Even if they had it right, only Harrison qualifies....

And, I read one real estate ad this weekend that listed Williams Street as Journal Square......This stuff is almost as funny as calling Hells Kitchen Clinton:o)

With that being said, this article breaks my heart. It was a such a nice neighborhood when I was a kid.

Posted on: 2008/4/21 17:10

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/3/18 15:05
From John Wilkes Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:
VIOLENT WEEKEND
3 slain in Jersey City say shootings unrelated

Monday, April 21, 2008
By CHARLES HACK
JOURNAL STAFF WRITER

Three people were killed in apparently unrelated shootings around Jersey City this weekend, Hudson County Prosecutor Edward De Fazio said.

Ramon Francisco Morales, 21, of Glenwood Avenue, died after being shot Saturday during an armed robbery at the northeast corner of West Side and Highland avenues at 10:40 p.m., authorities said. A man was arrested in connection to that slaying.

About two hours later, Kwaun Martin, 24, of Claremont Avenue, was killed and two other people were injured in a shooting on Orient Avenue near Martin Luther King Jr. Drive.

Also this weekend, Damien Williams, 28, address unknown, died after being shot once in the chest near the corner of Grant and Rose avenues on Saturday about 1 a.m., reports said.

Authorities have already made an arrest in one of the slayings: Quaheem Johnson, 21, of Duncan Avenue, will be charged in connection to the Morales shooting, De Fazio said.

J.

Highland and Westside is the only one in Lincoln Park area and it's nearer to the Holy Name cemetary than the park.

Posted on: 2008/4/21 15:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

cyclotronic wrote:

Both the murder below and later the robbery of another random person at a bus stop were both in the Lincoln Park area (Westside and Duncan Area) -- Google map the locations yourself.

Quote:
Authorities have already made an arrest in one of the slayings: Quaheem Johnson, 21, of Duncan Avenue, will be charged in connection to the Morales shooting, De Fazio said.

Johnson was released from jail in November after serving three months on a theft charge; he'd previously served 15 months on aggravated assault, resisting arrest and receiving stolen property charges, according to the state Department of Corrections.

Witnesses told police they saw Morales arguing with Johnson, who then fired at least one shot at Morales and then ran south across West Side Avenue - where he then robbed another person standing near a bus stop.

Police later spotted Johnson near his Duncan Avenue home and arrested him after a chase. During the pursuit, De Fazio said, police officers fired at least two shots at Johnson.

Police Chief Thomas J. Comey said an Internal Affairs investigation has already determined the officers were justified in firing their weapons while chasing Johnson.

The prosecutor, while saying his office would conduct its own investigation into the shooting, said it appears police acted appropriately.

Posted on: 2008/4/21 14:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/4 19:36
From McGinley Square / Lincoln Park
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2008/4/21 14:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
siht, I wish they were related, at least then we would have only 1 idiot out there!

Posted on: 2008/4/21 12:14
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
It had been normal night for victim

Monday, April 21, 2008

For Ramon Francisco Morales, it had been a normal Saturday night.

He was heading home around 10:40 p.m. when he stopped at a liquor store at West Side and Highland avenues, relatives said. Moments after leaving the store, he was shot in the head; they believe he was the victim of a robbery attempt.

Around 20 grief-stricken friends and relatives gathered at that same street corner yesterday, writing messages on a cardboard cross surrounded by flowers and candles.

Morales, who turned 21 in December, was going home to his family - his girlfriend, Joanir Santiago; two sons, Ramon Javier, 2, and Wilbur David, 7 months; and his 3-year-old stepdaughter, Joanilie. Relatives said he'd been looking forward to his 2-year-old son Ramon's birthday party on Saturday.

Relatives described Morales, who delivered and repaired coffee machines for a living, as a devoted family man who did well at School 23 and kept out of trouble.

Those at the street shrine said yesterday they believed Morales had been the victim of a robbery; they said a necklace he usually wore was missing from his body. And witnesses told police that immediately after the shooting, the gunman ran across the street and robbed someone standing near a bus stop.

Quaheem Johnson, 21, of Duncan Avenue, was arrested in connection to the slaying, Hudson County Prosecutor Edward De Fazio said, but the motive has yet to be determined.

The victim's sister, Jessica Martinez-Morales, said the last time she spoke to him he said "I love you baby." She said she sent him a text message that she'd be seeing him soon.

"But I didn't get to see him alive," she said, bursting into tears.

CHARLES HACK

Posted on: 2008/4/21 7:52

Lincoln Park & West Bergen: VIOLENT WEEKEND -- 3 slain in Jersey City say shootings unrelated
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
VIOLENT WEEKEND
3 slain in Jersey City say shootings unrelated

Monday, April 21, 2008
By CHARLES HACK
JOURNAL STAFF WRITER

Three people were killed in apparently unrelated shootings around Jersey City this weekend, Hudson County Prosecutor Edward De Fazio said.

Ramon Francisco Morales, 21, of Glenwood Avenue, died after being shot Saturday during an armed robbery at the northeast corner of West Side and Highland avenues at 10:40 p.m., authorities said. A man was arrested in connection to that slaying.

About two hours later, Kwaun Martin, 24, of Claremont Avenue, was killed and two other people were injured in a shooting on Orient Avenue near Martin Luther King Jr. Drive.

Also this weekend, Damien Williams, 28, address unknown, died after being shot once in the chest near the corner of Grant and Rose avenues on Saturday about 1 a.m., reports said.

Johnson was released from jail in November after serving three months on a theft charge; he'd previously served 15 months on aggravated assault, resisting arrest and receiving stolen property charges, according to the state Department of Corrections.

Witnesses told police they saw Morales arguing with Johnson, who then fired at least one shot at Morales and then ran south across West Side Avenue - where he then robbed another person standing near a bus stop.

Police later spotted Johnson near his Duncan Avenue home and arrested him after a chase. During the pursuit, De Fazio said, police officers fired at least two shots at Johnson.

Police Chief Thomas J. Comey said an Internal Affairs investigation has already determined the officers were justified in firing their weapons while chasing Johnson.

The prosecutor, while saying his office would conduct its own investigation into the shooting, said it appears police acted appropriately.

About two hours later, at King Drive and Orient Avenue, Martin was killed and two people were injured when a man walked up to a car and fired repeatedly into it.

De Fazio said Martin and the other man were sitting in a car about 12:40 a.m. talking to a woman standing outside the car when a man walked up and, without a word, opened fire. Martin was killed; the woman and the other man are being treated at the Jersey City Medical Center for non-life-threatening wounds.

"It was clearly a premeditated attack," De Fazio said. "We don't know the motive."

Williams, the weekend's other shooting victim, was shot to death at Grant and Rose avenues on Saturday just before 1 a.m.

Cops said Williams, who was shot in the chest, had a .45 caliber handgun tucked into the waistband of his pants. Witnesses told police Williams had been in an argument just prior to the shooting, but the motive hasn't been determined yet.

Posted on: 2008/4/21 7:17

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017