Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
137 user(s) are online (118 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 137

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: New WTC Path exit
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/1/28 21:20
Group:
Registered Users
That is funny, they did not write back to me yet. Maybe I should have written in complete sentences?

Posted on: 2008/4/16 13:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/12/15 2:25
Group:
Registered Users
I sent a complaint to http://www.panynj.gov/feedback.php

Here is the response:

Thank you for your feedback. Beginning with the April 14 morning rush, our new Vesey Street entrance was opened and the Church Street Station entrance was closed. PATH management staff have been meeting with New York City Transit Authority, local police, and the Department of Transportation to improve the crowding issues that have resulted from this change of entrance due to the necessary construction of the WTC Transportation Hub, scheduled for completion in 2011. Construction plans were developed in such a way that service to the station continues without interruption -- in much the same way as the original WTC station was constructed. Rest assured that we will do all in our power to improve your commute as we work towards completing major construction milestones while keeping PATH operational throughout.

Thank you for your input and please do not hesitate to contact PATH with any issue or comment that you may have.

Sincerely,

PATH Customer Service.

Posted on: 2008/4/16 12:28

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/10/9 2:11
From Downtown JC
Group:
Registered Users
here's a nice pic, credit to nj.com

Resized Image

Posted on: 2008/4/16 2:08

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 21:00
Group:
Banned
The spot checks on the commuter vans yesterday could have caused the higher than usual crowds.

Posted on: 2008/4/15 20:07

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/10/10 16:29
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

geniusofthecrowd wrote:
are they running less trains also? it seems kinda odd that during my normal traveling hours at 10 and 6 I suddenly can't get on a train because they are too packed since yesterday.

"Those silly internet people think we need crowd control at WTC? I've got it! Just run less trains!"

Posted on: 2008/4/15 18:56

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Downtown JC
Group:
Registered Users
are they running less trains also? it seems kinda odd that during my normal traveling hours at 10 and 6 I suddenly can't get on a train because they are too packed since yesterday.

Posted on: 2008/4/15 18:04

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/4/2 10:50
Group:
Registered Users
yes, yesterday the church street side along the WTC site was a sea of people and i could see people trying to get to the PATH that were not able to move through the throngs.

the other probelm is the convergence of people getting onto the escalators as soon as you get out of the turnstiles. previously, the escalators and exits were in the middle and people could come in from both sides and merge in the center, now you have everyone doing a 'curve' to get onto the escalators.

positive side effect ;) - the first couple of cars on the PATH when you get on at Newport is getting less busy since everyone watns to be at the end to get off quickly.

curious though - if this is a temporary exit, why spend so much money on all the signs, walls, etc.....

Posted on: 2008/4/15 15:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
The location of the exit isn't that bad. Its the horrible crowd control at Church street. They *had* to know that there would be thousands of people trying to make it through the narrow opening.

They should have closed another lane of traffic on church so people could walk south. This would cause less people waiting at church and keep things moving.

I sent feedback on that link, I hope everyone else does as well. Maybe the news will pick up on the mess.

Posted on: 2008/4/15 12:34

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/7/19 16:57
Group:
Registered Users
The ramp is in between the stairs to the platforms.

I head north via the subway (2) so I'm going to miss my underground route when it rains, but I think its going to be easier for me to walk to Chambers and W. Broadway and miss Church St altogether.

I'm thinking though, where can you put the entrance? If you have to close Church St so you can build the new station, where the entrance is now is the only place where you can put the entrance without facing construction.

Posted on: 2008/4/15 11:31

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/11 21:52
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jc_insomniac wrote:
I'm there everyday, too, and usually come through between 8:30 and 8:45. This morning wasn't so bad. I tried out that exit last week, so I knew what to expect this morning.

Suggest all angry customers to provide our feedback to the dumbass who planned this at PA's feedback page:

http://www.panynj.gov/feedback.php

Posted on: 2008/4/15 3:23

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/12/14 4:00
From Erie Street
Group:
Registered Users
The ramp is to your left... I seem to remember if you are already by the sign pointing to the wall, it is too late to get on the ramp, you might have to go back... Very poor planning.

Posted on: 2008/4/15 3:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/5/16 16:22
From beneath the jumping sheep
Group:
Registered Users
I'm there everyday, too, and usually come through between 8:30 and 8:45. This morning wasn't so bad. I tried out that exit last week, so I knew what to expect this morning.

Posted on: 2008/4/15 3:02

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/5/2 11:33
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
BUT, there is a rather long ramp that leads up to the level where the elevator is. Mind you it isn't near the elevator and the signs are very misleading but the ramp is there.
I appreciate hearing that but I gotta say that as I went out and then came back later, I did not see a ramp. Where exactly is it?

Maybe I was fixated to the right by the sign to the right saying that the handicap route is to the right.

Right?

Well, at least those in these forums who call me an old lefty will be comforted to learn that I at least *look* to the right once in a while.

Posted on: 2008/4/15 2:22

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/12/6 5:22
Group:
Registered Users
Unfortunately, the planned completion of the Church Street entrance/exit (the one that just closed) is not going to be until 2011. The temporary new exit at Greenwich and Vesey is there through 2011!

http://www.amny.com/news/local/transportation/am-wtc0331,0,1302964.story

Posted on: 2008/4/14 22:55

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Downtown JC
Group:
Registered Users
what the hell were they thinking? didn't they know that the one crosswalk where people are going to cross is just going to back up the small ass street where everybody is walking down. this is horrible planning, is there any planned completion date on this thing?

Posted on: 2008/4/14 22:27

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/9/6 17:42
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

justjoe wrote:
Also, there is an outrageous handicap barrier.

Those who need it can take the elevator from the platform to the turnstyle level. It leaves them at the faaaaaar end of that level from the new exit. But that is not the real barrier.

There is a set of 10 to 15 steps (estimated from memory) up to the level where the escalators run to the street. This barrier is aggravated by a stupid sign, as you approach the stairs, that says, Elevator to Street > (wheelchair and right arrow).

If you take that arrow literally - which is what well thought out signs are supposed to allow - you will walk right into the solid concrete wall that is about 10 feet to the right of the sign. There is no elevator at that point.

The arrow - to be correct - should be ^ (up - meaning up those stairs) which is where that elevator is.

Obviously there was no handicapped person with a voice in planning - or at the very least, someone who understands that handicap access requires a coherently barrier free route. A barrier part way along a route is the same as non-handicap access for the *entire* route.

Doesn't ADA have any influence here? .

I was totally confused by this as well. I kept seeing the signs and then all I saw were stairs, and then finally saw the elevator up the stairs. BUT, there is a rather long ramp that leads up to the level where the elevator is. Mind you it isn't near the elevator and the signs are very misleading but the ramp is there.

Posted on: 2008/4/14 22:26

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/9/1 21:36
Group:
Registered Users
i was there around 8:45 this morning and the new exit is complete horse sh!t... horrible planning... i stepped out of the exit, looked right to head up to church and it was backed up right to the exit doors... i had to walk out another block to make another right onto church to avoid the disaster...

Posted on: 2008/4/14 21:01

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/5/2 11:33
Group:
Registered Users
Also, there is an outrageous handicap barrier.

Those who need it can take the elevator from the platform to the turnstyle level. It leaves them at the faaaaaar end of that level from the new exit. But that is not the real barrier.

There is a set of 10 to 15 steps (estimated from memory) up to the level where the escalators run to the street. This barrier is aggravated by a stupid sign, as you approach the stairs, that says, Elevator to Street > (wheelchair and right arrow).

If you take that arrow literally - which is what well thought out signs are supposed to allow - you will walk right into the solid concrete wall that is about 10 feet to the right of the sign. There is no elevator at that point.

The arrow - to be correct - should be ^ (up - meaning up those stairs) which is where that elevator is.

Obviously there was no handicapped person with a voice in planning - or at the very least, someone who understands that handicap access requires a coherently barrier free route. A barrier part way along a route is the same as non-handicap access for the *entire* route.

Doesn't ADA have any influence here? .

Posted on: 2008/4/14 18:26

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/9/6 17:42
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
I'm there every day. I came through around 9:30 this morning.The only real problem I had was that everyone was trying to go up the very first couple of escalators so I ended up just walking up the stairs. My hope is that as the week goes on and people get used to the new setup things will get better though.

Posted on: 2008/4/14 18:08

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/10/10 16:29
Group:
Registered Users
I was coming back from my gf's place to get to work, and even at 7:40, it was pretty awful. There was basically a mass of people going in on the right, and a mass of people coming out on the left, which I guess was at least somewhat organized. Things cleared out by the time you got to the turnstiles, but before then, it was horrible.

Posted on: 2008/4/14 14:00

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/1/28 21:20
Group:
Registered Users
Yeah, I have a great picture from my phone, but I can't figure out how to post it. I was there around 8:30 and it was a total cluster-f. I really hope that they can do something quickly to address the problem. What idiot thought up this new entrance? The entrance gets harder to access with each move they make.

Posted on: 2008/4/14 13:42

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/3/19 13:54
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Unfortunately, I was there at 9 this morning.

It's a nightmare. It took nearly 20 minutes for me to get from the new exit to the front of the Hilton Hotel/Century 21 (where the old exit was) - so basically, an additional 20 minutes was added on to my commute this morning. I don't think I've ever seen so many people - people were taking pictures of the crowd with their cell phones. Obviously they put no thought into crowd control - hopefully the situation improves. Tomorrow I will be giving myself an extra half hour to get to work.

Posted on: 2008/4/14 13:34

New WTC Path exit
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
So, who takes the Path to WTC everyday? What do you think of the new exit?

Personally I think the new exit is a complete disaster. Was there *any* foresight or planning involved?

If you were unfortunate enough to be at the exit at 9:00am this morning you would have seen a queue of people from Church all the way down to the exit. People were just standing because of the light at church, nowhere to go.

I realize that this is temporary but they could have done some basic planning. Anyone who travels this route every day could have told you that it would be a mess at the church street light.

Posted on: 2008/4/14 13:27

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017