Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
81 user(s) are online (70 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 81

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 6 7 8 (9) 10 11 »

Re: towing at shoprite?

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/4/29 21:24
Group:
Registered Users
This just happened to me today. I am so annoyed. I don't think that anything can do legally. However, I have decided to boycott both this bj's and shoprite. I have been spending between $200 and $300 every other weekend at bj's and shoprite. I will no longer shop at these stores. Newport Mall is a complete shopping travesty. I have noticed the quality of the small stores has declined anyway. I can shop with much more satisfaction at Short Hills. Thank you very much.

Posted on: 2008/4/29 21:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/9/3 23:20
Group:
Registered Users
i used to park my car by st. anthony's at night when making a short trip to the mall until my old 1987 chevy nova(corolla) was broken into and a $5 hibachi grill from walgreens that was hidden in my trunk was stolen.... it was a total pain replacing a $128 window for something i bought for almost nothing to use once and throw away at the beach... now i park in the deck. i wish i knew about the $1 off for residents because i've always been paying the full price.

Posted on: 2008/3/28 6:43

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/3/27 14:29
Group:
Registered Users
To everyone considered scammed, you can write reviews to where this towing companies are registered like the one below from magicyellow.com:

User Reviews for E Z TOWING
Overall Rating: 1.0 (2 ratings)
Ratings Comments Feedback

3/23/2008 avoid this towing company
the good:
the bad: towing scam operators at jersey city's bj's and shoprite private parking lot
the details: cannot be trusted due to bad involvement of towing scam operations. they do not serve for the community except their interest.

11/8/2007 Bad service
the good:
the bad: Over charging towing fees, Rejecting to give the bill, Rash reply when called.
the details: I had very bad experience with this company, They had over charged me against municipal law. 145$ for 1Hr. I had called the company within 3min that my car was towed, they answered rudly and asked for 145$ to release the car. I got the car within 1hr since the towing time, they didn't even gave me the call and asked me to come on weekday to get the receipt. On weekday they said they won't give the bill after the incident.

Posted on: 2008/3/27 14:36

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/12/16 23:23
From Greenville
Group:
Registered Users
I've been living here too damn long to pay for parking at one of the crappiest and smallest malls in New Jersey :) But yeah, I've been towed, once. Now they employ knuckleheads with walkie-talkies (ok ok ok, 2 way radios) Who stand at each row and hawk you.

Before I would get away with it, just don't park near the Pep Boys and you were fine. (I would park behind the shopping cart canopies).

Now my new way (and healthier i guess), is parking on the corner of Manila/6th street and walk a block down to the mall. Doesn't bother me much.

Posted on: 2008/3/26 19:17

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/4/23 15:12
Group:
Registered Users
I experienced the towing scam first hand on Valentine's day no less! $122 (cash only) and I was only gone for 30-45 mins. The fee was even higher for somone picking up her BMW. The towing company is located on Grand street. No documentation was made available for the reason of the towing. I actually met someone who was visiting his girlfriend from out of town and had been in Bed Bath and Beyond. We were both shocked when our cars were gone. They towed 3 or 4 cars from the time I went to pick up my car until I finally got it (roughly 1 hour). I know where I won't be spending any more of my $$!

Posted on: 2008/3/25 19:27

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/2/4 18:24
Group:
Registered Users
Although never a victim of Danny's towing, I've seen far too many vehicles being towed out of the lot, most with out-of-state plates. The greatest wrong is in the size and condition of the signs warning those who park. It sickened me to the point of contacting Steve Fulop who responded with nothing can be done because the lot is private property. The more I thought about it the more I thought a deal was probably made between the city/tow company/BJ's. If BJ's wasn't getting kickbacks from Danny, why wouldn't they exercise the courtesy of renewing the signs?
I then wrote to the State Attorney General and received no response whatsoever.

Posted on: 2008/3/25 16:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/10 14:50
From hamilton park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

coronalime wrote:
I wonder how many cars go unclaimed. You figure, they're taking 20-30 cars a day (which by my visual observations is about right). Many of the people are probably from out of town, some foreigners, some drug dealers and other people with questionable items in their car or other reasons for not knowing or wanting to call the police about it. I'm sure some people just figure it's a lost cause, thinking it's long gone in a chop-shop somewhere.

How long do they hold onto the car for? What happens to it after that time period? Anybody know?

they'll run the registration to locate the owner so they can charge them the towing and storage fee.

Posted on: 2008/3/25 13:45
utterly deplorable

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/4 17:25
Group:
Registered Users
I wonder how many cars go unclaimed. You figure, they're taking 20-30 cars a day (which by my visual observations is about right). Many of the people are probably from out of town, some foreigners, some drug dealers and other people with questionable items in their car or other reasons for not knowing or wanting to call the police about it. I'm sure some people just figure it's a lost cause, thinking it's long gone in a chop-shop somewhere.

How long do they hold onto the car for? What happens to it after that time period? Anybody know?

Posted on: 2008/3/25 4:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/30 19:51
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jc73 wrote:
The answer to your question caj11 is yes, check the NJ Criminal Code book( 2C statutes ) look under Unlicensed Tresspass and there is a theft charge involved. Hope they don't have video.

Yes, I guess it would be trespassing and perhaps some sort of theft charge too. But my friend never heard anything from anybody (police or otherwise) after he took his care back, albeit illegally. As for me, I'm willing to cough up $1 to park at the mall's garage rather than risk being towed as well. I've never had the misfortune of being towed by Danny's myself.

As for Danny, I wouldn't imagine him to be a very nice person, but then again, when did you ever find a friendly person doing that type of work ?

Posted on: 2008/3/25 4:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/3/3 2:45
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
I know this has been stated before but it really is worth the price to pay for parking at the mall. And it's $1 off for JC residents.

Posted on: 2008/3/24 18:08

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/3/9 14:18
Group:
Registered Users
There are some exceptions to the rules you stated, 1 the two hour time limit does not apply to a private lot, which is what BJs lot is, the moment you step out of the lot they can tow your car. 2 as far as being a patron of the store only works while you are a patron of one of those stores, as soon as you leave to go to the mall or chilis' you are no longer a patron and the vehicle can be removed. 3 the written authorization is the contract that the tow company has with the owner of the property, they own the lot they set the rules. You can be properly parked in a space all day as long as you stay in one of those stores they can not legally remove your vehicle. The moment you step off the property they take. The answer to the other question about who they have to notify when they tow is the local police district, they have one hour from the time it is towed to bring them a copy off the tow invoice. If you ever come outside and can't find your car just call the downtown precinct the cop at the desk should ahve a list of cars towed that day.

Posted on: 2008/3/24 17:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/5/13 20:32
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

caj11 wrote:
a friend of mine had his car towed some time ago and discovered that the towing yard where it was taken had its gate unlocked and no one was around. So he opened the gate and drove his car out and never looked back. Was he committing a misdemeanor by "stealing back" his own car ? Does the towing company automatically have some sort of lien on the car once it is towed for towing and storage fees that theoretically has to be paid, even if the owner takes the car back without paying ?

Doesn't the towing company have to report your license plate to the police dept. if they are towing your car? Otherwise how would you know if it was towed or stolen. Many years ago in New Brunswick I came back and found my car was gone. At first I thought it was stolen so I flagged down a cop car that happened to be passing by. He radioed in the license plate number and found out where it had been towed to.

Posted on: 2008/3/24 16:31

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/3/24 14:10
Group:
Registered Users
just for info:

YOU ARE THE VICTIM OF AN ILLEGAL TOW - IF:

1. You were towed and less than two hours had elapsed from the time your car was parked until it was towed.
2. You patronized the business, and was properly parked.
3. The towing company refused to accept a credit card, demanding cash only.
4. You were not given a copy of the written authorization for the tow.

Posted on: 2008/3/24 14:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

deathmask wrote:
Has to be some type of "cash business" owner operation to get away with this sh@t. Really, don't waste your time contacting the owner. Lesson learned is all.

I'm sure the IRS would be able to extrapolate earnings from watching their performance for a week or so....

Report the payments to the towing company on your taxes. Then go down to the towing company and request some documents for tax purposes. I did that for retrieving my apartment security. The land lord stated the security deposit was non refundable, when I told her I needed a document for tax purposes she reluctantly gave it back to me. I also knew welfare people that reported their rent on an illegal apartment to the tax department and the owner had to return all the rent money to the renters. I love April 15th.

Posted on: 2008/3/24 10:53

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/3/9 14:18
Group:
Registered Users
The answer to your question caj11 is yes, check the NJ Criminal Code book( 2C statutes ) look under Unlicensed Tresspass and there is a theft charge involved. Hope they don't have video.

Posted on: 2008/3/24 5:35

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/7/7 14:37
Group:
Registered Users
Has to be some type of "cash business" owner operation to get away with this sh@t. Really, don't waste your time contacting the owner. Lesson learned is all.

I'm sure the IRS would be able to extrapolate earnings from watching their performance for a week or so....

Posted on: 2008/3/24 3:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/30 19:51
Group:
Registered Users
Thankfully, I've never had the problem of being towed and I'm willing to pay $1 for the privilege of parking in the mall, although I believe there is only one machine for purposes of paying the parking ticket and it is a real pain in the ass, takes forever to process the ticket and often there is a line of people behind it waiting to pay.

Anyway, as it happens Danny's towing yard is just a few blocks from where I live and I frequently see the gates to it open when I'm walking over to the gym or out jogging. A question here...a friend of mine had his car towed some time ago and discovered that the towing yard where it was taken had its gate unlocked and no one was around. So he opened the gate and drove his car out and never looked back. Was he committing a misdemeanor by "stealing back" his own car ? Does the towing company automatically have some sort of lien on the car once it is towed for towing and storage fees that theoretically has to be paid, even if the owner takes the car back without paying ?

Posted on: 2008/3/24 2:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/26 3:33
Group:
Banned
i only read the first post, but can confirm my mom's car got towed too when she was here. She parked slightly to the back end of bj/shoprite lot since entered from the newport mall side. Then went into shoprite then to bj to find and buy some stuff, by the time she got out(about 1.5 hrs, long line at bjs) car was gone. I think the guy in the automative shop gave her the address of the towing company. Noone would tell her why the car was towed or who was in charge.

Anyway we went there, it was a really shady shop with 1 guy behind bullet proof glass and locks etc... I thought about arguing but realized there is no point, you either pay the money and get the car, or dont pay and not get the car, and who knows what they would do to the car. So we just paid, checked the car, and left, was also late for a dinner party.

Anyway becareful to park closer to the shoprite/bj next time.

Posted on: 2008/3/24 2:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jclxz wrote:
Quote:

newstep wrote:
I had the same thing happen to a friend of mine. We parked in the empty section next to BJ's plenty of spots available on a weekend. We walked to Chili's and had lunch.

Since you have a car, next time drive to some place good.

Why eat at Chili's? We're not stuck in the midwest here.

You sure act like it, you "new" Downtown folks think it's an adventure when you travel to another section of the city, Jersey City that is. I'm glad for this reply it shows that some are willing to venture out & about. I'm just wondering about the towns where some of the new residents come from most seem to be from the midwest. Try the Hoboken Shoprite it's nice, calm, and plenty of parking.

Posted on: 2008/3/24 1:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/6/12 3:42
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

newstep wrote:
I had the same thing happen to a friend of mine. We parked in the empty section next to BJ's plenty of spots available on a weekend. We walked to Chili's and had lunch.

Since you have a car, next time drive to some place good.

Why eat at Chili's? We're not stuck in the midwest here.

Posted on: 2008/3/23 15:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/12/15 2:25
Group:
Registered Users
Why don't you look at putting a sign at the gate between the parking lot and the bank. Something eye catching that says that your car will be towed if you are going to the mall.

Get the towing company where it hurts, their pockets.

Posted on: 2008/3/23 15:00

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
lessoned learned for me as well. but are we going to let them do this to other inoccent people? people work hard for their money and this should not be tolerated. as i read this forum, it has been since 2005 or maybe more they do this. anyway, i read something about NJ governor signing a bill for such. i have to research more.

Posted on: 2008/3/22 21:53

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/3/22 17:46
Group:
Registered Users
I had the same thing happen to a friend of mine. We parked in the empty section next to BJ's plenty of spots available on a weekend. We walked to Chili's and had lunch. Of course, the car was towed. The guy was pulling plenty of cars out of the parking lot and like other posts would hide cars behind BJ's until he had time to tow them back to the yard. Cab drivers are aware of this issue and wait around to give u a ride to the yard.

The lesson learned is that Chili's will validate parking in the parking lot next to the restaurant and not to park next to BJ's! haha

Posted on: 2008/3/22 17:50

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
interesting question in addition to my recent message, will the parking lot owner with the towing company will ever make changes for improvement and for the better of jersey city? hmmmmm .... i hope the mayor is aware of this scam.

Posted on: 2008/3/22 15:20

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I am a victim of this recently and complained to BJs. My observation is that the many signs are strategically located for people not to see them including myself and then it's too late, they have towed your car already. It has been mentioned by BJs that this is a privately owned parking lot and not their operation. If it is privately owned, why do they have to leave open a portion of the fence leading to the mall? I guess to lure as much people they can to make their easy money, in short a scam. Poor new people in the area that would clearly be a victim of this. I have to go back and check if there is a clear sign in that area. Since this has been happening from long time ago, I don't know why Better Business Bureau allow such a thing.

This is what BJs has to say:
Club 44 is the only parking lot in the area where the parking is free. The Club is located next to a mall and a train station where the parking costs upward of $2.00. Signs are located all around the parking lot stating this lot is for patrons of The Metro Plaza Mall and vehicles will be towed at the owner's expense. This is an actual town ordinance. Without this ordinance in place, The Club would have no parking available at all for Members who are shopping in the club.

Parking in BJ'S lot is for Members that are shopping in the club only. Tow trucks have been placed in the parking lot by the landlord of the parking lot to sit idling in the parking lot to watch for people who park their cars in the lot and either walk over to the Newport Center Mall or the train station. If they see someone doing this, they wait an allotted period of time for the person to return and if they do not then towing will begin. BJ'S does not have any control over this because this is done by the landlord of the parking lot and again,This is an actual town ordinance. We are unable to refund any fees related to vehicles being towed. There are signs that are posted in the parking lot, and if you are not in the parking lot because you are shopping in the club, you are subject to being towed at your expense.

Posted on: 2008/3/22 15:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/12/15 2:25
Group:
Registered Users
Remember, its only $1 if you are there less than 3 hours with the discount for JC residents.

I hate this whole scam too, but for $1 I can look past it.

Posted on: 2007/11/26 14:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/5/13 20:32
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

creativeconquests wrote:
Am I to understand if I go to Bed Bath and Beyond and park in that lot - but don't go to BJ's or Shoprite, I could be towed? I know, stupid question. But I just keep thinking there's a trick to it. Is one section specifically for Shoprite and one for BBB?

I think as long as you are only shopping at the stores within that shopping center you will be fine.

Posted on: 2007/11/26 1:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
I thought I was a 'cheap' and always on the look-out for a bargain, but to park in the car park that is privately owned only to shop in the mall to avoid a parking fee is being way too cheap for me, plus I'm a fat-ass and to lazy to walk!

Why not just leave the car at home and walk or use the light-rail?
I'm sure that people who commute on the PATH would love free all day parking too!

Posted on: 2007/11/25 19:22
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/5/11 13:34
From Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
The place to avoid parking is the no-man's land between BJs and Pep Boys. That is the only place I see cars towed. If you want to walk to the mall, park right next to ShopRite and walk along Marin to the mall.

Posted on: 2007/11/25 18:58

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/10/7 22:42
Group:
Registered Users
I parked at BJs when I was apartment hunting at Marabella this summer. Sure enough, our car was towed by the time we arrived back. At the time (in August) the tow sign was blocked by a tree. Ok, my fault, I understand. I will say this....the actual attendant where my car was locked up was truly a good guy. Obviously he's just doing his job.

Since it was my first day in JC, the whole experience made me a bit bitter against Shoprite & BJs. If the management company that runs BJ/SR parking lot is shady enough to have a towing company act as a watch dog, then I really don't want to shop there.

I know I'm going to extremes-- but there's a lot of grocery stores in the area that I can shop at. Why further encourage a Jersey City racket by parking there?

Posted on: 2007/11/25 5:40

« 1 ... 6 7 8 (9) 10 11 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017