Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
119 user(s) are online (102 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 119

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Cell phone law taking effect for NJ drivers
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brian_em wrote:
Maybe I'm crazy, but wasn't this law already in effect? Maybe just in certain counties?

The previous state law was a secondary offense. You had to be doing something like speeding or have a broken taillight to be pulled over, at which time you could also be cited with talking on the phone. When that law was passed, it replaced and negated all other local county and municipal laws. The March 1 law made talking a primary offense, meaning you didn't have to be committing any other violation to be pulled over.

Posted on: 2008/3/4 1:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/12/23 2:50
Group:
Registered Users
Yup, if you ride a motorcycle without a helmet you take a risky activity and make it even more risky (I never ride w/o a helmet, and since I moved here full riding gear, BTW). If you do so drunk (see below) then you're also risking other people's lives too although much less so than if you were driving a car.

As well as seeing no government role in saving people from themselves (e.g. seatbelt/helmet/drug/etc. laws) I see these types of laws as blurring the line between an individual taking more risk to themselves than most people would consider prudent and putting others at risk by their behavior. I guess talking on a phone falls into the latter category but requiring hands free talking doesn't deal with the problem of not paying attention nor does it deal with people: putting on makeup, reading a newspaper, smacking their kids in the back seat, etc.

Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
http://archives.cnn.com/2000/US/08/01/nohelmet.death.ap/

Food for Thought Jeebus.

FORT MYERS, Florida (AP) -- A motorcycling enthusiast who applauded Florida's new helmet-free law has died as a result of a motorcycle accident in which she wasn't wearing a helmet.

Dorthy Lynette Rushton, 40, smashed her Harley-Davidson early Saturday morning and was thrown more than 50 feet. She died Monday from injuries she sustained in the crash.

Rushton probably would have survived had she been wearing a helmet, said Florida Highway Patrol Cpl. John Schultz. He said alcohol was a factor but the lack of a helmet "greatly" contributed to her injuries.

Gov. Jeb Bush last month signed into law a measure to let motorcyclists age 21 and older ride without helmets if they carry $10,000 in insurance. It took effect July 1.

Friends said motorcycle riding was Rushton's passion -- especially without a helmet.

"Lyn wanted to do what she could, even in her death," close friend Kristi Piscitelli said. "She knew this could happen."

Posted on: 2008/3/4 1:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/1 9:09
From Southern JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

NNJR wrote:
There is nothing wrong with different states having different laws. We don't need big brother FED telling states how to govern its people.

That is, of course, unless it's something you want big brother FED to govern.

Posted on: 2008/3/3 10:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/11/5 23:00
Group:
Registered Users
Maybe I'm crazy, but wasn't this law already in effect? Maybe just in certain counties?

Posted on: 2008/3/3 5:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned

Posted on: 2008/3/3 4:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/12/23 2:50
Group:
Registered Users
Ha, legislation rational?! As someone else pointed out it's not the holding the phone that causes accidents, it's the lack of attention to the task of driving. So, a law that demands using a speaker phone or hands free set to make it safer won't work and sends the wrong message. Instead of this, I think there needs to be more education about how vehicle accidents are the most likely cause of death if one is less than 45.

I see both seatbelt and helmet laws as similar nanny state bullshit. In both cases it is the driver/rider alone who is more likely to be injured/die in an accident (rather than cause one). The difference is that some motorcycle riders really want to ride sans helmet and I guess not enough drivers care about not wearing a seatbelt (or being compelled to do so) to stop such laws. So car drivers get seatbelt laws and (in some states) anti-helmet law bikers don't have to wear helmets.

Someone may point out the obvious benefits to wearing a seatbelt (car) or helmet (bike) and how no one should object to the government forcing people to do so. To this I would ask, why not have car drivers forced to wear helmets and fireproof driving suits too? This would save many more lives than a motorcycle helmet law. Obviously, people have different personal trade offs between safety and other considerations and I can't see why strangers (the government) should nose in and override them.

Quote:

brewster wrote:
While I think this law is appropriate, since it protects others as well as the driver, my mind is sometimes blown by what our lawmakers think. I recently got a seatbelt ticket in NYC, not as part of another infraction, just pulled over for not being buckled. Yet all over this country the majority of states have no adult motorcycle helmet laws. Admittedly NY has helmet laws, but the variation seems wild.

FWIW, I don't use a hands free in the car, but then I rarely use the phone in the car. Some people seem to be on the phone more than not, whether in the car or elsewhere. My wife and I use our cells like we are in a payphone, get or give info, and get off.

Posted on: 2008/3/3 4:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jc73 wrote:
I'm glad they are going to write people tickets for talking on thier cell phones, tired of the nit wits who keep hitting my car because they are trying to park while on thier phones and aren't paying attention.

That?s bizarre, trying to maneuver parking in or out and chatting. It must be chatting because in an emergency you would concentrate on the call. It?s probably cultural, trendy, or even the norm. Sort of ?like? when people use the word ?like? or put a verbal comma after each sentence when speaking as if they were pupils in grammar school learning how to read. Kids; they make strange decisions.

Posted on: 2008/2/29 14:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:11
From HamiltonPARK
Group:
Registered Users
We cannot allow dogs to get exercise and chase tennis balls. We will worry about mothers and small children getting run over later.

Posted on: 2008/2/29 3:03

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/3/9 14:18
Group:
Registered Users
I'm glad they are going to write people tickets for talking on thier cell phones, tired of the nit wits who keep hitting my car because they are trying to park while on thier phones and aren't paying attention.

Posted on: 2008/2/29 1:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/12/15 2:25
Group:
Registered Users
Never.

Posted on: 2008/2/29 1:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/27 0:25
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
I agree with enforcement issues. Try not turning right on red at the Grove/Columbus intersection north bound on Grove. You will instantly get someone giving you the horn between the posted hours.

So do you cave and make that turn because some A-hole is honking at you? As a pedestrian who crosses that intersection at least twice a day, that right-turn-on-red infraction is one of my biggest pet peeves.

Posted on: 2008/2/29 0:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/12/15 2:25
Group:
Registered Users
There is nothing wrong with different states having different laws. We don't need big brother FED telling states how to govern its people.

I agree with enforcement issues. Try not turning right on red at the Grove/Columbus intersection north bound on Grove. You will instantly get someone giving you the horn between the posted hours.

Posted on: 2008/2/28 23:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/11/19 15:19
Group:
Banned
Maybe this will bail out the state of it's financial woes ??

ck

Posted on: 2008/2/28 22:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
While I think this law is appropriate, since it protects others as well as the driver, my mind is sometimes blown by what our lawmakers think. I recently got a seatbelt ticket in NYC, not as part of another infraction, just pulled over for not being buckled. Yet all over this country the majority of states have no adult motorcycle helmet laws. Admittedly NY has helmet laws, but the variation seems wild.

FWIW, I don't use a hands free in the car, but then I rarely use the phone in the car. Some people seem to be on the phone more than not, whether in the car or elsewhere. My wife and I use our cells like we are in a payphone, get or give info, and get off.

Posted on: 2008/2/28 18:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
It's about time ! But let's see the enforcement. I think it's cultural or trendy for some to be on cell phones at the most inopportune times.

Posted on: 2008/2/28 18:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/11/18 14:49
From heights
Group:
Registered Users
i'm sure i'll get flack for saying this, but talking on a phone period should be outlawed while driving.

Its not the fact that you don't have both hands on the wheel, b/c frankly who even drives like that past the 10 & 2 road test? Its about not having all your concentration focussed on driving.

Yes, there's other things that distract drivers, but 9 times out of 10 when i have some moron in front of me on the turnpike going 80 then dropping down to 60 then back to 80 and so on, when i finally pass them, they're on the damn phone.

Posted on: 2008/2/28 18:03

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/5/2 11:33
Group:
Registered Users
They will "enforce" this law the same way they enforce rules at intersections where public safety requires "no turn on red."

NOT

There's a big "no turn" sign at the corner near my home. It is violated every few minutes.

There is a curve on Kennedy that almost totally obscures traffic coming from the left. Drivers cross the white line a full car length back, blocking the crosswalk and crane their necks to the left, seeking an opening in the strong traffic flow. When they see one, they keep looking that way and jump the accelerator to make the right turn, completely ignoring whatever has changed in the foot traffic in the cross walk to their right.

Pedestrians who have the bad luck to be crossing on the "walk" sign are struck. The last time I was aware of an incident, a mother with a month old baby in her arms was knocked down.

I just missed being hit last week but only because I was aware of what might happen. As it was, the side of the turning car wiped its dirt on my coat.

Those pedestrians include seniors from the building on one corner, parents with toddlers from the day-care on the other and students from the high school on the next corner.

As I have pointed out to police regularly, they could write a traffic ticket every ten minutes or so at that spot. In ten years I've not seen a single one being handed out for that violation. I've even seen cars do that illegal turn right in front of a police car.

BTW, it's not at all uncommon that those same drivers are yapping on a cell phone.

Posted on: 2008/2/28 13:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:11
From HamiltonPARK
Group:
Registered Users
How about roadside executions? And will Cops be subject to the same law?

Posted on: 2008/2/28 3:16

Cell phone law taking effect for NJ drivers

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/1/20 11:32
Group:
Registered Users
Cellphone Law Taking Effect for NJ Drivers
by Tom Feeney/The Star-Ledger
Wednesday February 27, 2008, 8:06 PM

Quote:

Beginning Saturday, police in New Jersey will have the authority to stop and fine motorists for using hand-held cell phones while they drive, but the state's own statistics and a growing body of academic research suggest the change won't make it any safer to drive here.
Jim Pathe/The Star-LedgerAn electronic sign in Piscataway announces the new cell phone law for drivers.

The revised law makes using a hand-held cell phone a primary offense, but allows drivers to talk as long as they use a hands-free device.

Drivers who respond to the new law by switching to a headset or other hands-free device instead of putting their phones down altogether while they drive appear to be only marginally less likely to be involved in crashes, research shows.
Under the law, drivers caught talking or texting on a hand-held cell phone can be hit with $100 fine and a $250 surcharge.

Read more in Thursday's Star-Ledger.

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2008 ... _law_taking_effect_f.html

Posted on: 2008/2/28 3:13

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017