Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
93 user(s) are online (79 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 93

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 3 (4)

Re: Hearing delay irks gun store owner: Owner's licenses to sell and carry firearms still revoked
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/12/23 2:50
Group:
Registered Users
It's interesting to read the other side of the story. It also doesn't seem fair that when his accused attackers didn't show up it just lead to a further delay in his rights being reinstated.

When I'm carrying I am extra polite to obnoxious people. I hope that I would have avoided a confrontation in the situation that the gun store owner got into by going back to my store once being friendly failed or, if that wasn't an option, verbally warning that I was armed before things came to blows (and/or shooting in the air). Nevertheless, it's very easy to "Monday morning quarterback" on a situation one wasn't in. Also, people have a right to self-defense even if one could have, with omniscient foresight, avoided or appeased the people trying to maim or kill you.

Quote:

brian_em wrote:
I've talked with this shop owner about this incident, and he described it as the men started to rough him up, and at one point pushed him to the ground. If I can recall correctly, i think punches were thrown. When the two men had him on the ground he reached for his gun and fired shots into the air.

Now, I wasn't there, but if his story is true, and guys were kicking his a$$; his gun is licensed, and he has a carry permit, legally he has the right to defend himself, by all means necessary.

He filed charges against the two men, and is going about this the legal, and in my opinion, the appropriate way.

But it seems like certain politicians are trying to make headlines for themselves by illegally taking away his right to do business. David has all the required licenses to run his business, yet politicians are denying his rights, because the personally have something against him, and believe they have something to gain politically. I think it's wrong.

Posted on: 2008/2/23 2:13

Re: Hearing delay irks gun store owner: Owner's licenses to sell and carry firearms still revoked
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/11/5 23:00
Group:
Registered Users
I've talked with this shop owner about this incident, and he described it as the men started to rough him up, and at one point pushed him to the ground. If I can recall correctly, i think punches were thrown. When the two men had him on the ground he reached for his gun and fired shots into the air.

Now, I wasn't there, but if his story is true, and guys were kicking his a$$; his gun is licensed, and he has a carry permit, legally he has the right to defend himself, by all means necessary.

He filed charges against the two men, and is going about this the legal, and in my opinion, the appropriate way.

But it seems like certain politicians are trying to make headlines for themselves by illegally taking away his right to do business. David has all the required licenses to run his business, yet politicians are denying his rights, because the personally have something against him, and believe they have something to gain politically. I think it's wrong.

Posted on: 2008/2/23 0:30

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/1/9 18:02
From The Little Italy Section (Back Then)
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
"I had the legal right to blow their heads off," Murray added.

Is this the kind of person you want to have a gun? Take it away for good!

Posted on: 2008/2/23 0:01

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/4/14 20:45
Group:
Registered Users
ever walk by his store and read the stuff in the windows??? That alone should make us all glad this guy can't carry/sell guns anymore.

Posted on: 2008/2/22 2:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/1/27 22:17
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
...reduced to selling toy pellet guns

oooohhhh poor baby...

Posted on: 2008/2/21 17:07

Hearing delay irks gun store owner: Owner's licenses to sell and carry firearms still revoked
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Hearing delay irks gun store owner

Thursday, February 21, 2008
By PAUL KOEPP
JOURNAL STAFF WRITER

A Jersey City gun store owner whose licenses to carry and sell firearms have been revoked didn't get the day in court he wanted yesterday - but he did shoot his mouth off.

David Murray, owner of David's Sporting Goods on Second Street near Newark Avenue, is trying to press charges against two men he says assaulted him last May 3 after he complained they had blocked his car by double-parking in front of his shop. Murray fired a .357 Magnum into the air during the incident.

Municipal Court Judge Cynthia Jackson postponed yesterday's hearing until April 2 because the men Murray accuses of beating him did not show up. Jackson did not issue warrants for the men, Donnell Rawlings and Eddie Powell, since the notice telling Rawlings to appear was returned as undeliverable.

That news irked Murray, whose angry reaction prompted Jackson to say, "I don't need you making faces."

After leaving the courtroom, Murray ranted that he had a right to carry a gun and only used the weapon to scare away the men because it's "the best noisemaker in the world."

"I had the legal right to blow their heads off," Murray added. "Their children now have fathers because I showed compassion."

Neither Rawlings, who appeared on Comedy Central's "Chapelle's Show" as "Ashy Larry," nor Powell, a club bouncer, was charged in the incident. Murray was indicted in November for aggravated assault and weapons offenses.

Murray accused Hudson County Prosecutor Edward DeFazio, who brought the motions to revoke his licenses, of trying to score political points by taking on a gun shop owner.

DeFazio responded that his "only motivation is public safety."

Superior Court Judge Fred Theemling stripped Murray of his license to carry guns in June, then took away his license to sell them in September, citing the May incident and security concerns at the store. Murray is appealing the judge's decision.

Posted on: 2008/2/21 13:28

« 1 2 3 (4)

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017