Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
153 user(s) are online (129 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 153

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: POLICE TO DIVERSIFY - out of whack with the demographics of the city
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/12/23 2:50
Group:
Registered Users
JC73: if you are replying to my post I think it was pretty clear that I support nothing of the sort. JC is like most places and the test for the police is a civil service type exam (http://www.njjcpd.org/jcpd%20website%20files_003.htm#). Encouraging minorities to take the test can only bring a larger group into the pool without giving them an unfair advantage. I agree that the residency requirement makes no sense and is obviously counterproductive.

greenville: My understanding of the process is that once one takes the exam and scores high enough one just has to graduate from the academy. The department has nothing to do with the exam. It's not like a father-son union where one has to have an "in" to get in.

Quote:

greenville wrote:
Quote:

jc73 wrote:
So you mean to tell me that it's ok to hire someone only because they are a minority. If the problem they claim is that they are having a difficult time finding qualified people in this city because of criminal backgrounds then open the residency requirements to other cities.

The problem is that police deparments will take a person of their own kind before even considering a person of color or different ethnicity. So the goverment has to step in to stop this.

Posted on: 2008/2/21 1:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 3:29
Group:
Banned
Quote:

jc73 wrote:
So you mean to tell me that it's ok to hire someone only because they are a minority. If the problem they claim is that they are having a difficult time finding qualified people in this city because of criminal backgrounds then open the residency requirements to other cities.

I saw a news story on this last week and the feeling I got was that, all things being equal, having a police force that better represents the community it serves is the ultimate goal. If that means having an African-American or Latino police officer in an African-American or Latino neighborhood, I don't see a problem with that.

There was a similar situation in Chinatown a few years back, and the NYPD did specific outreach to recruit more Chinese-American officers who could understand the culture better than the average white cop.

Not to mention creating positive role models.

Makes sense to me.

Posted on: 2008/2/20 3:53

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/3/9 14:18
Group:
Registered Users
I don't believe the "cities are massaging test results" as you put it. I took one of those tests once and I do know this, on the test and I don't think it is a requirement to fill in the race section and as far as the results the cities don't grade the test, the Dept. of Personnel does. All the cites ask for is a list created by the DOP and it goes by residency requirement. They ask for so many names and the DOP sends the notices to the people. So it's not the old days when the cities got the scores and called who they wanted to.

Posted on: 2008/2/20 3:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/9/29 17:41
Group:
Registered Users
Don't get me started on quotas.
It seems like cities and townships are constantly massaging test results to get the "appropriate" cross section of whites and minorities. I think all of the tests should be anonymous.

Posted on: 2008/2/19 22:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/7/30 1:08
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
20 years ago there were signs recruiting minority and female police candidates in the store windows around downtown....

Posted on: 2008/2/19 21:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/7 20:21
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jc73 wrote:

The problem is that police deparments will take a person of their own kind before even considering a person of color or different ethnicity. So the goverment has to step in to stop this.

Posted on: 2008/2/19 17:33

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/3/9 14:18
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2008/2/19 4:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/12/23 2:50
Group:
Registered Users
I think it's great that the JCPD is making outreach efforts. I went to a "town hall" meeting on crime that amounted to an infomercial for the JCPD and its then chief a year ago. The lack of opportunity to ask questions prevented me from learning much except that almost all of the high ranking cops present were old white guys.

Given the demographics of JC over the last decades this struck me as odd. I'm the last person to suggest promoting someone based on race; especially because my own family is replete with Irish cops. Nevertheless, the lack of diversity in the higher ranks of police here struck me as a mark of dysfunction. By now there should be more minorities in the pipeline on their way to the captain rank (although probably not a representative amount at that rank, given seniority etc.).

Better late than never, I suppose....

Quote:

GrovePath wrote:
POLICE TO DIVERSIFY

Monday, February 18, 2008
By MICHAELANGELO CONTE
JOURNAL STAFF WRITER

With the make-up of its police department out of whack with the demographics of the city, the Jersey City Police Department is launching a major recruitment campaign aimed at attracting minority officers.

According to the 2006 census, Jersey City's population is 34 percent white, 28 percent Latino, 28 percent African-American and 17 percent Asian/Pacific Islander. (The numbers add up to more than 100 percent because several persons report more than one race.)

But the 889-officer police department is 70 percent white, 20 percent Latino, 7 percent black, and 2 percent other ethnicities, according to figures supplied by the department.

And of the department's 300 higher ranked officers, 84 percent are white males. Just 48 of the 300 officers holding a rank of detective or higher are female, black or Hispanic. The highest ranking non-white male is a white female captain; there also is one black female lieutenant and four male Hispanic lieutenants.

"We want the police department to reflect the different minority groups in our city," Jersey City Mayor Jerramiah T. Healy said. "We will not stop until we achieve this goal."

Lt. Edgar Martinez said the department is advertising in ethnic newspapers, The Jersey Journal and on cable television, as well as speaking with community and religious leaders about the importance of encouraging people to apply to take the next police test, which will be offered in June or July. They also are sending officers to malls, schools and other locations to get the message out.

"It's an unprecedented recruiting effort," he said.

The deadline for filing an application to take the exam is March 31.

Delores Jones-Brown, director of the Center on Race, Crime and Justice at John Jay College of Criminal Justice in Manhattan, said recruiting minority officers is difficult.

In urban communities, "there have been arrests and/or incarceration of a high percentage of black and brown males," she said, making it "difficult to find candidates that are qualified."

The negative relationships that have existed between police and people of color make them reluctant to don the uniform, Jones-Brown added. Former cop and Ward F Councilwoman Viola Richardson, an African-American, said Jones-Brown "hit the nail on the head."

"Their (the police department's) job is to bridge that gap, rather than just stay in lock-up mode," Richardson said.

In 2006, the U.S. Department of Justice told the 818-member Virginia Beach Police Department to increase its minority makeup. This week the department inducted 30 new officers, half of which were minorities.

"It's mostly do to with recruiting and the Department of Justice realized we have the same problem the everybody else has, and that's getting applicants," said Virginia Beach Capt. Wray Boswell.

Posted on: 2008/2/19 1:51

POLICE TO DIVERSIFY - out of whack with the demographics of the city
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
POLICE TO DIVERSIFY

Monday, February 18, 2008
By MICHAELANGELO CONTE
JOURNAL STAFF WRITER

With the make-up of its police department out of whack with the demographics of the city, the Jersey City Police Department is launching a major recruitment campaign aimed at attracting minority officers.

According to the 2006 census, Jersey City's population is 34 percent white, 28 percent Latino, 28 percent African-American and 17 percent Asian/Pacific Islander. (The numbers add up to more than 100 percent because several persons report more than one race.)

But the 889-officer police department is 70 percent white, 20 percent Latino, 7 percent black, and 2 percent other ethnicities, according to figures supplied by the department.

And of the department's 300 higher ranked officers, 84 percent are white males. Just 48 of the 300 officers holding a rank of detective or higher are female, black or Hispanic. The highest ranking non-white male is a white female captain; there also is one black female lieutenant and four male Hispanic lieutenants.

"We want the police department to reflect the different minority groups in our city," Jersey City Mayor Jerramiah T. Healy said. "We will not stop until we achieve this goal."

Lt. Edgar Martinez said the department is advertising in ethnic newspapers, The Jersey Journal and on cable television, as well as speaking with community and religious leaders about the importance of encouraging people to apply to take the next police test, which will be offered in June or July. They also are sending officers to malls, schools and other locations to get the message out.

"It's an unprecedented recruiting effort," he said.

The deadline for filing an application to take the exam is March 31.

Delores Jones-Brown, director of the Center on Race, Crime and Justice at John Jay College of Criminal Justice in Manhattan, said recruiting minority officers is difficult.

In urban communities, "there have been arrests and/or incarceration of a high percentage of black and brown males," she said, making it "difficult to find candidates that are qualified."

The negative relationships that have existed between police and people of color make them reluctant to don the uniform, Jones-Brown added. Former cop and Ward F Councilwoman Viola Richardson, an African-American, said Jones-Brown "hit the nail on the head."

"Their (the police department's) job is to bridge that gap, rather than just stay in lock-up mode," Richardson said.

In 2006, the U.S. Department of Justice told the 818-member Virginia Beach Police Department to increase its minority makeup. This week the department inducted 30 new officers, half of which were minorities.

"It's mostly do to with recruiting and the Department of Justice realized we have the same problem the everybody else has, and that's getting applicants," said Virginia Beach Capt. Wray Boswell.

Posted on: 2008/2/18 16:59

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017