Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
86 user(s) are online (70 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 86

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 3 (4)

Re: Visitor Parking Permits/Parking Regulations

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/2/6 19:38
Group:
Registered Users
Wow i am so sincerely pissed off... no warning, no prior tickets, and BAM "parking without a permit" and a $110 BOOT for no damn good reason... new york ave and hutton is NOT a commuters dream.. its not even close to journal square.. and the entire street is half empty b/c people go to work but NOOO jc PA has to ruin someones day and week and year... dont they know people get the idea when they receive $42 tickets.. $42 dollars is a lot of money what were they thinking; adding boots to teach people a lesson to never come to JC????

cuz now it worked i hate this city, i got mugged 3 weeks ago on that same corner by a thug with a gun for $50..
thought i would lose my life... but the JC Parking Authority raped me much harder with 2 tickets ($84) and a boot ($110) for a total of $195 in ONE DAY.. this city is corrupt, JC PA is a joke, and crime is through the roof.. not even kidding 3 months ago on corner of new york ave and hutton, a man was car-jacked in broad daylight... cops.. took 45 mins to come to the rescue as the SUV was loooooooooooooooooooooooooong gone.. good job Jersey City~!!

Posted on: 2008/2/6 20:00

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/6/10 14:44
From Under the Turnpike
Group:
Registered Users
GOOD NEWS, and of course the timing in ironic...I just got off the phone with the JC Parking Authority and starting sometime next week, JC will adopt Hoboken's visitor parking permit style. Anne, the woman who always answers the phone and my millions of questions, told me that the permit passes with the scratch-off dates will be arriving next weekend and you can pick up multiple passes in advance of a guest's visit. No information as to how much they will cost or how many you can get at one time, but this is definitely a huge relief!

Posted on: 2008/1/10 14:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/5/13 20:32
Group:
Registered Users
I would think that there are only so many boots to go around, and far more illegally parked cars. So you still probably have a better chance at getting a ticket than a boot. But maybe not, based on people's experiences.

Posted on: 2008/1/9 21:48

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/26 15:56
Group:
Banned
I was able to get multiple passess onetime from the women at the parking authority. I swear it was because my license has a JC address on it. The guy in front of me was turned away because he had just moved here and his car and license were from out of state.

As for the booting I think that they have gotten much quicker with the boot in the past year or so. The worst experience was when I went to the parking authority asked for a pass for one day to park in a particular area. I told him exactly where it would be and he said ok gave me the pass. Well you know what happens next, I got the boot that day. When I called and asked they said I had to come to the station to parking authority and could pay with cash or credit card. I asked if I could just give them my cc no and they could send someone. They said no. So I trekked all the way up to the PA (which is a bitch to get to) paid. As I'm waiting I hear the women reciting a credit card number over the phone. I asked why the heck couldn't I do that. The officer said the could only do it for emergency purposes? I asked "How do you know I don't have an "emergency"" and why wouldn't you just tell me that over the phone? He says you didn't say you have an emergency. Anyways I took the officer and civillians name and badge number and sent a nasty letter to city hall and the PA. I never heard a thing, but I don't park on the street anymore.

I think someone should assemble a book or something on stupid shit the PA has done is doing. It might be quite comical.

Posted on: 2008/1/9 20:35

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/5/31 21:50
Group:
Registered Users
I've been a victim of the boot as well. I think it's complete crap. Isn't the $42 ticket enough to discourage commuters? The f-ing ticket is like $150 now with the boot.

Posted on: 2008/1/9 20:34

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Under the Turnpike
Group:
Registered Users
Oh, and Bill - I completely agree, however the Jersey City visitors pass policy is ridiculous!

Posted on: 2008/1/9 19:30

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Under the Turnpike
Group:
Registered Users
Yes, he did get one of those "new-fangled boots" where it comes with a keypad and you call the number given, pay with your credit card and they give you the pin to unlock the boot. I also checked with my friend and he has no other violations and such. Lastly, I called the Parking Authority (again) to complain and they said their policy is and always has been to boot immediatly after violating the 2 hour parking policy (that's a crock - I've been lucky to get a ticket or two when borrowing my boyfriend's car.)

Is there anything that can be done to change this guest permit policy? I would be more than willing to take the hour trek (without a car) or the $15 cab ride to Central Ave to pick up visitors passes if I can use them at any time - like the ones in Hoboken where you scratch off the appropriate date on the parking pass and hang it from your mirror for like $3 a piece. I'm sure others have complained...so perhaps I am just preachin' to the choir...

Posted on: 2008/1/9 19:29

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/10/26 17:52
From the best stuff on earth
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ansky wrote:
Isn't it 2-hour parking from 8am-5pm. So technically you can park legally for 2 hours up until 10am. So why would you get a ticket at 8:45?

Sorry, I should have said that I drove to work. So the car was out of JC for most of the day.

The ticket was made out at 4:20pm.
The parking dude said he noted the vehicle early that morning at 8:45am. When he came around later that day, it was in a different spot but technically still in the same zone - therefore ticket&boot-worthy.

Posted on: 2008/1/9 18:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

alek8 wrote:
Yup, it's happened to me. I had to borrow a relative's car when mine was in the shop. They spotted it early that morning around 8:45 and when I came home in the afternoon around 4:20pm, I got a ticket and they threw a boot on it. The bastards.
I think they come down especially hard on cars that are from outta town. God help the out-of-state'rs.

Isn't it 2-hour parking from 8am-5pm. So technically you can park legally for 2 hours up until 10am. So why would you get a ticket at 8:45?

Posted on: 2008/1/9 14:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/9/14 20:15
From Crystal Point
Group:
Registered Users
i hate it too but the abuse without it could be devastating. Do you know how many commuters would park all day on the street?

Posted on: 2008/1/9 13:39

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/10/26 17:52
From the best stuff on earth
Group:
Registered Users
Yup, it's happened to me. I had to borrow a relative's car when mine was in the shop. They spotted it early that morning around 8:45 and when I came home in the afternoon around 4:20pm, I got a ticket and they threw a boot on it. The bastards.
I think they come down especially hard on cars that are from outta town. God help the out-of-state'rs.

Posted on: 2008/1/9 3:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/23 17:09
Group:
Registered Users
Nope, you get booted immediately. It came as a shock to me also when I borrowed my parent's SUV for a few hours and I was parked literally for 10 minutes more than two hours ( I think neighbors squealed on me)... BAM the boot. I thought perhaps I would get a ticket or there would be a three ticket warning system... I had to take a taxi to the Parking Authority office. And then I had to pay a ticket on top of paying for the boot.

However, look at the other side of it. Parking is at such a premium, especially downtown JC. While I feel bad for your friend and don't think 4 hours is a big deal, imagine how many people would abuse the system. A ton more people would "chance it" if it meant an occasional ticket here or there. A hefty fine and annoyance is an equally hefty deterrent to those who seek to bend the rules at the expense of others.

I'm sorry that your friend has to pay the price for the jerks. There aren't separate rules for good people and for jerks and those fed up and angry with having to park up to 8 blocks from their homes due to the lack of parking would probably come out in mass if you tried to change this rule.

Posted on: 2008/1/9 3:22
soshin: Mention guns and bd pops up through a hole in the ground like a heavily armed meercat

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/23 12:49
Group:
Registered Users
No, that sounds right. Did he get one of the new-fangled boots? Where you can pay by phone with your credit card and they unlock it remotely? I've heard of cars getting booted for just being parked over the 2 hours ... lots of times!

I looked into visitor parking passes and it was the same scenario you describe in your first post. Completely ridiculous and impossible for people who work and don't have their own cars in this city. It was the same for me. I had a visitor with a car for a few days, but I guess we were lucky. She only got two tickets - no boot.

I recently went to a doctor in Hoboken. When I told her I was from Jersey City, she immediately told me her JC parking story (everyone has one!). It was her first time in JC. She came for lunch with friends and .... her car got booted. She certainly didn't have any other violations on record. In fact, I was surprised that JC Listers were giving this city that much benefit of the doubt! Why does this surprise anyone? It's been going on a long time.

Posted on: 2008/1/9 3:16

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Under the Turnpike
Group:
Registered Users
Well I know that he has no violations in Jersey City, as he has never driven a car here. As to other violations, I'm not sure. He currently lives an hour from here, so I find it hard to believe that other parking violations would transfer unless he could have moving and/or registration/insurance violations. He seemed really surprised to have a boot and even more annoyed. So perhaps he has a violation neven he is unaware of? The whole thing is very strange.

Does anyone know anything about obtaining visitors permits?

Posted on: 2008/1/9 2:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Getting the boot doesn't sound right at all. He must have had some other violations associated with his car.

Posted on: 2008/1/9 0:16

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/3/15 17:02
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
He was leaning towards moving to Jersey City and after being parked for only 4 hours in one space and finding a boot on his car which he realeased for an outrageous $110,

Getting a boot on your car after 4 hours doesn't sound right. Did your visitor also have a number of oustanding fines in Jersey City or elsewhere?

Posted on: 2008/1/8 23:27

Visitor Parking Permits/Parking Regulations
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Under the Turnpike
Group:
Registered Users
Does anyone know how to get visitors parking permits for Downtown?

To my understanding, I'm supposed to know well in advance when I have company because somehow I would have to get up to 394 Central Ave (and I don't have a car, so I called Parking Authority to ask how to get there and they said it would take me about an hour and they didn't know how via mass transportation) before 4:00pm on a WORKDAY and let them know I have a visitor (like my boss will really go for that one - Hey boss, I have to leave work at 2:00 so my buddy can crash at my place for a few days).

Why don't they let you buy a few "guest passes" in advance of knowing when you have company coming to visit with their cars, like Hoboken. And don't get me wrong, I'm not a huge fan of Hoboken and their Parking Authority, but visitor passes is something they got right.

We had a friend come to stay with us last night at the last minute to look at condos in the area. He was leaning towards moving to Jersey City and after being parked for only 4 hours in one space and finding a boot on his car which he realeased for an outrageous $110, he is thinking otherwise. What ever happened to giving a $35 parking ticket if you are over the 2-hr time limit?

Anyone have any advice??? If this is in fact the Parking Authority's policy, something needs to be changed!

Posted on: 2008/1/8 22:56

« 1 2 3 (4)

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017