Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
118 user(s) are online (104 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 118

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Signs Signs, everywhere there's Signs

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/1/6 20:29
Group:
Registered Users
How about we spend the money on the roads and the sidewalks. First things first. At least the cones give the dogs a bigger target to pee on.

Posted on: 2007/12/27 3:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/8/14 6:40
Group:
Registered Users
Still no progress with the cones

Posted on: 2007/12/27 2:33

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/12/30 3:40
Group:
Banned
This thread reminds me of this 30 second video clip:
Morrissey - "This country is generally obsessed with signs"

At the very least, 'JoyOfSound' should get a kick out of this video.

Posted on: 2007/12/22 17:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/5 14:18
From Exchange Place
Group:
Registered Users
Does the $3.6 million cover the cost of the neon barrels?

This is hilarious. The barrels are everywhere now.

Now there is a sign at the main post office with a barrel attached to it. The sign is close to the corner of the post office at Montgomery and Washington. It is between the the Montgomery steps and the Washington steps. At least this sign is away from pedestrian traffic. But what is barrel for then? Stupid design.

Posted on: 2007/12/22 17:43

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/3/18 15:05
From John Wilkes Park
Group:
Registered Users
Unfortunately the cone looks like it is covering the area where there was previously wet concrete. They might just be to stop you from stepping in it.

This morning I saw the new sign outside the armoury on Montgomery and it is in a hilariously bad position. There is a space of about 2 feet between the armoury wall and the sign on oneside whilst the other side of the sign is about 1ft from the curb. To walk around it you have to tuen sideways or step into traffic on Montgomery Street.

Great job guys.

Posted on: 2007/12/22 15:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Did you guys notice just about every new sign now has a huge cone attached to it. I think they are going to move each and every one of them.

Posted on: 2007/12/22 15:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/2/7 17:42
From Ward E - Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

RABBITRABBIT wrote:
so there is a sign planted flat in the middle of the sidewalk near the City Hall awn on Montgovery Street. There is also one right in front of the stairs ofg City Hall (it reads City Hall just incase you were still confused about where you were). Both of these ill-placed signs have large neon orange barrels afixed to them to keep people from walking into them. it's a fukkin fiasco of city planning. Healy keeps bungling everything he approves. Idiots!

Seems like the City got the signs for free. Who paid for the installation? Were the appropriate procedures followed?
Who is going to pay for the upkeep of the signs (graffiti removal)? Of course some if not all of the signs will have to be moved.

Posted on: 2007/12/22 13:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/12/10 15:54
Group:
Banned
so there is a sign planted flat in the middle of the sidewalk near the City Hall awn on Montgovery Street. There is also one right in front of the stairs ofg City Hall (it reads City Hall just incase you were still confused about where you were). Both of these ill-placed signs have large neon orange barrels afixed to them to keep people from walking into them. it's a fukkin fiasco of city planning. Healy keeps bungling everything he approves. Idiots!

Posted on: 2007/12/21 21:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/15 0:46
Group:
Registered Users
What about when you are trying to figure out where you are with a map and happen not to be facing north? Do you turn your map around? Or do you have to turn North and then refer to the map?

Posted on: 2007/12/21 21:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
I can't stand maps that don't have north "up". It starts you out confused.

Quote:

super_furry wrote:
This photo is NOT hosted on JCLIST.COM, since it does not comply with the photo hosting policy of this site.

Sign at 8th and Jersey - just west of the park entrance:
Resized Image

Posted on: 2007/12/21 2:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
This photo is NOT hosted on JCLIST.COM, since it does not comply with the photo hosting policy of this site.

Sign at 8th and Jersey - just west of the park entrance:
Resized Image

Posted on: 2007/12/20 22:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/10/20 16:18
Group:
Registered Users
the one on Varick directing you to the Jersey City Museum is already tagged.

Posted on: 2007/12/20 21:30

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/11/10 5:50
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

cyclotronic wrote:
They did consult the local residents. I believe they reached out to every neighborhood association. I definitely attended one for Lincoln Park / McGinley Square where they gave a presentation and took comments...

I doubt they mentioned the placement of the signs to HPNA. We NEVER would have agreed to the placement of the signs in the path of pedestrians in a heavily trafficked sidewalk. Notice that it is directly across from the trash receptacle (the black object in the left of the frame) - so pedestrians are squeezed even more!

I'm the HPNA president this year. We were not contacted in any form before this sign was put in. Maybe if it were rotated 90 degrees so that pedestrians could walk UP to it instead of INTO it, it might work. But as placed - yeesh.

We'll be discussing this at our next mtg.

- Jen

Posted on: 2007/12/20 21:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

cyclotronic wrote:
They did consult the local residents. I believe they reached out to every neighborhood association. I definitely attended one for Lincoln Park / McGinley Square where they gave a presentation and took comments...

I doubt they mentioned the placement of the signs to HPNA. We NEVER would have agreed to the placement of the signs in the path of pedestrians in a heavily trafficked sidewalk. Notice that it is directly across from the trash receptacle (the black object in the left of the frame) - so pedestrians are squeezed even more!
Resized Image
(click to enlarge)

There are a few good things about the signs.
1. Next time a lost traveler asks for directions to Hoboken or the Holland tunnel I can point to the sign instead of having give directions.
2.Over time the community will use the sign as a bulletin board to post gate sales, lost cat notices, offers to buy ugly houses, etc. Of course this will negate benefit # 1.

Who will maintain the signs? The signs could be a tempting target for graffiti artist. Those signs covered with tags would look pretty nasty.

Did the placement of the signs in the Historic Districts go before the Historic Preservation Commission? Were all of the proper approvals granted by the city?

The signs are OK - the placement, at least in HP is poor.

Posted on: 2007/12/20 21:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/5 14:18
From Exchange Place
Group:
Registered Users
I was in the area for lunch, and I noticed that the sign on Bergen near McGinley Square has an orange and white striped traffic barrel tied to it. Is it to warn pedestrians not to walk into it?

Posted on: 2007/12/20 19:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
i cant wait until i am walking at night and walk into it and am allowed to sue the city!

Posted on: 2007/12/20 18:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/4 19:36
From McGinley Square / Lincoln Park
Group:
Registered Users
Full disclosure: I'm friends with one of the people involved with this organization.

They did consult the local residents. I believe they reached out to every neighborhood association. I definitely attended one for Lincoln Park / McGinley Square where they gave a presentation and took comments.

It seems the big problem is that the first round of signs were placed too close to the street and lots of them got knocked off the poles by trucks. Apparently the city officially took over maintainance of the signs, and then more-or-less has refused to fix them because they were pissed off that it took a non-government group to pull off the project. So I guess for this 2nd round of signs they went way too far in the other direction, and placed them too far away from the street. There's one on Bergen near McGinley Square which is right in the middle of the sidewalk, and I'm sure many people have walked right into it.

I think the signs are a good project, but they need to be repositioned and maintained. I think the Princeton architect was picked because they did these kinds of signs in Newark, which were very successful. I know they've helped me a lot the many times I've gotten lost in Newark (like every time I take Rt. 280).

I can't get myself behind the website part of it.

Quote:

nugnfutz wrote:
http://www.destinationjerseycity.com/aboutorganization.php

So...this non-profit org got a $3.6million NJDOT grant, spent it on 500 signs and an website (works out about $7,200/sign), and they supposedly consulted the local residents? And the City Hall has a $1.5 million makeover in the same week that according to the City Clerk gives us "...a first class space to conduct public business"?

Somehow I can't get over the image of pigs feeding.

Posted on: 2007/12/20 16:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/2/28 15:23
Group:
Banned
http://www.destinationjerseycity.com/aboutorganization.php

So...this non-profit org got a $3.6million NJDOT grant, spent it on 500 signs and an website (works out about $7,200/sign), and they supposedly consulted the local residents? And the City Hall has a $1.5 million makeover in the same week that according to the City Clerk gives us "...a first class space to conduct public business"?

Somehow I can't get over the image of pigs feeding.

Posted on: 2007/12/20 6:54

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/9/18 2:12
From Beautiful Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
In 2002 I did a proposal to the executive board of Destination Jersey City in an attempt to get the contract for building and maintaining destinationjc.com. It looked like there was no bidding required and they liked my ideas. Almost a year later I was told they are accepting bids and I could participate in the RFP. I was not motivated to do anything with them due to the slow bureaucracy that I encountered and after reading the RFP guidelines and requirements I did not think that I could qualify due to the fact that the only website experience I had was creating NewportCity.com.

What I proposed was a Jersey City tourist website with an interactive map and other nice features. I emphasized the map because it could be interactive on the website (similar to what google has now) as well as printed in poster size and displayed at public transportation stations, and pocket versions that could be handed out. If their mission is to attract tourists then the maps could get them to Van Vorst Park and the Museum; but signs on posts far away from the train stations?

It all came down to the bureaucracy for me: Things like if businesses were to be listed then ALL businesses had to be listed. Look at destinationjc.com and tell me what tourist would be interested in the vast majority of their retail or restaurant listings? They took public money so they have rules. No problem, no hard feelings, I am glad that I never followed through with them because they inadvertently motivated me to build this site.
'
In January 2004 I launched jclist.com to replace NewportCity.com - destinationjc.com was officially launched in Spring 2007 (if I remember correctly).

One of the Destination Jersey City representatives recently asked me if I would like the job as webmaster of destinationjc.com; I think they need one starting next month because they are out of grant money and must make that website sustain itself through advertising revenue. I guess I could have gotten a lucrative contract 2003 but now that they are out of money they want to hire me to work cheap. I gave them the same answer as in 2003; no thanks.

Posted on: 2007/12/19 9:42

Re: "Destination: Jersey City" -- $3.6 million in Designer maps and signs guide tourists around city
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
You have a typo -- it was 3.6 million not 35 million.

Quote:

justjoe wrote:

Further, can any Jersey City-based company that is capable of supplying any of those materials and services say that they were invited by the State to share in the no-bid awards of this $35 million dollars that went everywhere EXCEPT Jersey City?

Posted on: 2007/12/18 15:52

Re: "Destination: Jersey City" -- $3.6 million in Designer maps and signs guide tourists around city
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/5/2 11:33
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

RABBITRABBIT wrote:
3.6 million dollars!!!

AND they used an architect from Princeton when there are 41 lsited in Jersey City in the Verizon Yellow Pages.

Dikks
It's worse than that (big surprise, right?)

Yes, the architect is from Princeton.

The web site developer is from Long Island.

The Domain Name registrar is out West somewhere.

The web site hosting company is in Texas.

The owner of the web site is someone in Franklin Park who also has links on the web site that invite you to buy advertising - and make your own guess where *that* revenue goes.

Anyone want to take up a bet about:

- the location of the contractor who installed the signs
- the location of the company that actually made the signs
- the location of the supplier of the materials used to make the signs.

Further, can any Jersey City-based company that is capable of supplying any of those materials and services say that they were invited by the State to share in the no-bid awards of this $35 million dollars that went everywhere EXCEPT Jersey City? That question includes Advanced Internet, the big Internet company, sister company of the Jersey Journal, with a home office at Journal Square and also creator of NJ.COM.

How ironic that they are doing free publicity for this project while the distribution of the money is a non-story.

Better headline might have been, "State Can't Find Jersey City."

Posted on: 2007/12/18 14:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

RABBITRABBIT wrote:
3.6 million dollars!!!

AND they used an architect from Princeton when there are 41 lsited in Jersey City in the Verizon Yellow Pages.

Dikks

That was likely to be an IOU job!

Posted on: 2007/12/17 21:59
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/26 20:09
Group:
Banned
Quote:

RABBITRABBIT wrote:

Meanwhile, they can't spend any $$$ to fix the crumbling steps!

Nor the crumbling sidewalk on 8th St.

Posted on: 2007/12/17 21:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
3.6 million dollars!!!

Dikks

Posted on: 2007/12/17 21:44

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/23 12:49
Group:
Registered Users
There's one of these at Hamilton Park, too. Placement is not as bad as Van Vost, but only by inches. Can they move/remove that one as well??

Posted on: 2007/12/17 17:05

"Destination: Jersey City" -- $3.6 million in Designer maps and signs guide tourists around city
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Designer maps and signs guide tourists around city

Monday, December 17, 2007
By CHARLES HACK
JOURNAL STAFF WRITER

A $3.6 million project to put Jersey City on the map for tourists is nearing completion, as a new crop of designer way-finding markers are popping up all over the city.

A coalition of 30 local organizations that make up "Destination: Jersey City" have been installing 228 maps and signs for pedestrians, pointing out museums, parks, theaters, shops, galleries, historic buildings and other must-see destinations for visitors to the city.

In the first phase of the project, about 500 road signs were installed to steer sightseers around the city's 10 neighborhoods, including Liberty State Park, Journal Square, Historic Downtown, McGinley Square, the Heights and Bergen/Lafayette.

The signs - designed by Princeton-based Hiller Group architects - work in tandem with the group's Web site, destinationjerseycity.com, which provides information about where to shop, dine out and relax in Jersey City, said Elizabeth Romanaux, vice president of communications at the Liberty Science Center, one of the founding organizations.

Eight grants from the state Department of Transportation paid for the design, construction and installation of the signs, officials said.

Not everyone is happy with the placement of the signs however. Clifford Waldman, executive director of the Jersey City Parks Coalition and founder of Friends of Van Vorst Park, says there should have been more consultation with community groups.

Waldman said a map on Jersey Avenue at Montgomery Street unnecessarily obstructs the sidewalk and is embedded in white concrete that does not match surrounding paving slabs designed to look like historical blue stone.

Romanaux said there was extensive public consultation, and any problems can be fixed.

Posted on: 2007/12/17 13:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I like most of the new signs, but placement is wrong.

All, i think Montgomery has too many

Pedestrian Crossing
Pedestrian Crossing Ahead
Pedestrian Crossing
Pedestrian Crossing Ahead
Its state law to ....

Posted on: 2007/12/5 12:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/2/28 15:23
Group:
Banned
Why doesn't it say dogsh*t?

Posted on: 2007/12/5 8:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
OMG - I agree with parkman.

What i love is that they spend all this $$$ to make sidewalk ramps for the handicapped and then dump that thing wright in the middle of the sidewalk.

Even funnier is that they dumped one of thiose signs right in the middle of the courtyard plaza (if it can be called that) for City Hall. If you read the sign you'll learn that you are standing in front of --- City Hall.

Meanwhile, they can't spend any $$$ to fix the crumbling steps!

Posted on: 2007/12/4 21:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/13 17:19
From time to time
Group:
Registered Users
On the positive side, it's not a sign that's likely to be missed. It practically walks up and introduces itself. Fair warning all: You only have a short time to work a youtube video around this prop and then it's gone.

Posted on: 2007/12/4 21:53

« 1 (2) 3 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017