Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
164 user(s) are online (138 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 164

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Parking Authority to change booting system, increase fines to $110
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

How the hell is anyone suppose to remember all that?

Thanks for the info. - I'll be adding $100 per truck per day that attends any jobs in the downtown JC zones.

There really needs to be more info on the signs to show where the zones start and finish - I must consider myself lucky for all these years by just parking my truck from one side of the street to the other and not getting a ticket.

Posted on: 2007/10/25 16:34
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/11 21:52
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:

Another reason why qualified contractors don't like working in residential JC - I'd need a detailed map of parking zones to do any work for residents to avoid a parking ticket. Then again I could just add it to my quote by guessing 2 tickets a day. How available are these parking zones maps and how is the average visiting joe going to be aware of them.

Going by what BM said, if I park at one 2hr spot I would need to move my truck blocks away and into another 'zone' instead of just parking it on the other side of the street like I had been for years without receiving a ticket.

Is this what you want? It's from cityofjerseycity.com's new website.

http://216.64.214.9/JERSEYCITYNJ/FILE ... ONE_PERMITS_ALL_ZONES.pdf

Posted on: 2007/10/25 15:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/12/15 2:25
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MikeyTBC wrote:
maybe all the new revenues generated from new boots will allow them to hire competent people in the office.

LOL, good one. You must be new here.

Jersey City, the only city that can run a parking authority deficit.

Posted on: 2007/10/25 12:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

BrightMoment wrote:

Nope, signs posted have nothing to do with the Zone maps which are at the Parking Authority and each zone covers a large area, but all different.

Signs just say what side of street you may/may not park on for what times.

Another reason why qualified contractors don't like working in residential JC - I'd need a detailed map of parking zones to do any work for residents to avoid a parking ticket. Then again I could just add it to my quote by guessing 2 tickets a day. How available are these parking zones maps and how is the average visiting joe going to be aware of them.

Going by what BM said, if I park at one 2hr spot I would need to move my truck blocks away and into another 'zone' instead of just parking it on the other side of the street like I had been for years without receiving a ticket.

Posted on: 2007/10/25 10:54
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/4 17:25
Group:
Registered Users
ha ha ha ha, abc news.

Posted on: 2007/10/25 4:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/11/5 23:00
Group:
Registered Users
This is just INSANE.

It has happened to me twice already where I have gotten a boot on my car before the court date on my ticket. Basically forcing me to pay for the ticket without a chance to fight it in court.

Does any one know how to fight this? Or should I just call abc news and have them come back to JC this week?

Posted on: 2007/10/25 4:39
I am Jack's complete lack of surprise.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/24 18:16
From "Pay for Play"
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
Is a time restricted or any 'zone', the area between 2 signs (mounted on poles) with arrows pointing towards each other?

If so, does that mean all I have to do is pass the next pole/sign to be in a new 'zone'?

And if so, how will this new technology know if I have done the right thing and moved forward or back past a pole/sign and in a new 'zone'?

I still like the idea of sticking white stickers over the arrow-heads on signs but I haven't done it yet.

Parking fines - a way to control people who don't know how to share!

Were it so easy!

Nope, signs posted have nothing to do with the Zone maps which are at the Parking Authority and each zone covers a large area, but all different.

Signs just say what side of street you may/may not park on for what times.

Posted on: 2007/10/25 1:47
Resized Image
Help US Sue Spectra! Join OR Donate!

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Is a time restricted or any 'zone', the area between 2 signs (mounted on poles) with arrows pointing towards each other?

If so, does that mean all I have to do is pass the next pole/sign to be in a new 'zone'?

And if so, how will this new technology know if I have done the right thing and moved forward or back past a pole/sign and in a new 'zone'?

I still like the idea of sticking white stickers over the arrow-heads on signs but I haven't done it yet.

Parking fines - a way to control people who don't know how to share!

Posted on: 2007/10/25 1:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/9/29 17:41
Group:
Registered Users
maybe all the new revenues generated from new boots will allow them to hire competent people in the office.

Posted on: 2007/10/24 21:15

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/8/28 14:10
Group:
Registered Users
How can they give you a ticket if you move your car within 2 hours? Does the sign say "2 hour parking" or "2 hour parking within zone?" It's insane if it's within zone. No one can visit you without putting their car in a lot.

Posted on: 2007/10/24 20:36

Re: parking tickets & the dreaded boot
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/2/7 1:54
Group:
Registered Users
I think they're mostly the new boots. The ones where you can pay over the phone and then get a code to unlock them. I wonder if this easy method is promoting more booting where they would have issued tickets before.

Posted on: 2007/10/24 16:32

Re: parking tickets & the dreaded boot
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/24 18:16
From "Pay for Play"
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

langdonalger wrote:
Has anyone else noticed the large amount of booted cars lately? I counted four on my walk home the other day. What gives? Has there been a change in the parking rules, or are people just abandoning stolen cars in JC? Does anyone know the exact rule for getting booted?

As a side note, how many parking tickets has everyone accumulated this year? I'm already up to 6.

Do a search here at jclist and you'll find a topic thread that discusses your queries in detail.

Cars MAY be booted, ticketed and/or towed if they violate the posted street signs or parking stipulations by City or State statute. In my neighborhood, if you do not have the proper neighborhood permit OR park for greater than 2 hours in that Zone(not just the street but anywhere in that zone)without a permit, even if you move your car but stay in that zone, you are subject to being booted.

Also, if you owe past due tickets you are subject to being booted.

See below for further info:

http://municipalcodes.lexisnexis.com/codes/jersey/

Quote:
Chapter 12 AUTHORITIES, MUNICIPAL*

? 12-4. Division of Parking Enforcement. [Added 10-25-1989 by Ord. No. McC-57]

There is hereby created a Division of Parking Enforcement, the head of which shall be the Director of Parking Enforcement. Parking enforcement officers* employed by the Division of Parking Enforcement shall have full power and authority to:

* Editor?s Note: For statutory provisions relating to parking enforcement officers, see N.J.S.A. 40:11A-22.1 et seq.

A. Issue summonses for violations of any provision of said law, ordinances or regulations;

B. Serve and execute all process with respect to any such violation issuing out of the police court of the municipality by whatsoever name the same shall be known; and

C. Cause any vehicle parked, stored or abandoned in violation of any provision of said law, ordinances or regulations to be towed away from the scene of such violation and collect from the owner of such vehicle the costs of the towing and subsequent storage of said vehicle before surrendering said vehicle to such owner.

Posted on: 2007/10/24 16:00
Resized Image
Help US Sue Spectra! Join OR Donate!

parking tickets & the dreaded boot
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/10/21 0:41
From hamilton park
Group:
Registered Users
Has anyone else noticed the large amount of booted cars lately? I counted four on my walk home the other day. What gives? Has there been a change in the parking rules, or are people just abandoning stolen cars in JC? Does anyone know the exact rule for getting booted?

As a side note, how many parking tickets has everyone accumulated this year? I'm already up to 6.

Posted on: 2007/10/24 15:44

Re: Parking Authority van with cameras
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/8/14 6:40
Group:
Registered Users
What about the New meters?

$14,000 each is a waste of money.

If you want better ones, I like the ones in Newark. They are the same size as our current ones, but one meter handles 4 spots. I think its way better and less confusing. (Just think about it, park your car, walk about a block to pay)

Posted on: 2007/10/15 21:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Sounds like a job for a local superhero:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/3112670.stm

Posted on: 2007/10/15 16:39

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/2/15 19:25
Group:
Registered Users
So, as someone posted above, the van with the cameras and the new boots are the work of these people http://www.paylock.com

The Parking Authority retains these guys and ups the booting fee from $75 to $110. Guess who gets the $35 extra - you guessed it, Paylock. We're going to see a lot more booting. Beware if someone is visiting you and spends more that 2 hours parked without a permit, they're going to get the boot.

One of the ways they've justified the increase is that you can pay the fine over the phone and get the code to disconnect the boot yourself - how nice! So, if I can get the boot disconnected by phone is the Parking Authority doing anything positive to serve JC residents like allowing someone to get a visitor parking pass by phone? I'm not holding my breath.

I know that parking is more difficult in Jersey City, but isn't there a better way than this?

The article below has all of the juicy details - http://www.jcheights.com/news-article ... _23_JCPA_New_Meters.shtml

Posted on: 2007/10/15 16:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/8/14 6:40
Group:
Registered Users
I saw one of those paylock things today on the street

Looks like they are really using it

Posted on: 2007/10/12 21:23

Re: JC Parking Authority has New Camera Cars

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/9/24 18:18
From Downtown JC
Group:
Registered Users
Really sorry to hear that, groovejet. Welcome to Hoboken! :)

Is the boot being used on your guys from this company?
http://www.paylock.com/

I think JC's been outsourced to them as well.

While I understand the anger, as a downtown JC resident, I also feel for those folks who live here and can't find parking on their block. I'd suggest your guys look into arranging for permits with the idiots at JCPA. It's really the only solution, aside from having your own lot nearby.

Good luck!

Posted on: 2007/10/12 19:13

JC Parking Authority has New Camera Cars
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/10/8 9:03
Group:
Banned
Has anyone noticed that the city has introduced new cars for the Parking Authority with a couple of cameras built into the roof.

They cruise around downtown and register cars that have been in the same zone for more than 2 hours!

Moving the car to a different street doesn't have any effect. The plate is registered and date stamped and the vehicle is quickly booted. (They even box you in so you can't drive off before the boot is fitted)

I'm using contractors and my workmen have been booted 4 times in the last week. They don't want to come back to finish the job! I'm getting pretty sick of the city trying to squeeze money out of people at every opportunity. I hate this money grubbing town.

Anyone else have an opinion?

Posted on: 2007/10/12 18:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/24 10:08
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

greenville wrote:
I saw the little ticket tric with the same thing, they probably use it read the plates or tags and if the car is parked for more then two hours it gets the boot. BTW, I hate the parking authority with passion and I wouldn't have aproblem with it being dissolved and replace with something else.

The technology is a ?Smart Camera? and works in the following manner:

The camera in the vehicle is connected to a microprocessor with a database that is loaded up every couple days. The database can be configured to ?Flag? all sort variables. The technology is currently used by the NY State Police and is currently under evaluation by the NYC Police Dept to protect NYC against terror attacks.

I believe JC got the technology by applying for a grant from Homeland Security . It is great to see that the Healy Administration is using the grant money to give all of us extra tickets.

Hope it helps.

DTG

PS ? A New York Civil Liberties Group may take NYC to Court if the Technology is adapted on the grounds of ?Violation of Privacy?

Posted on: 2007/10/12 2:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
where's the little van that records the JCPA writing out bogus tickets?

Posted on: 2007/10/11 21:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/7 20:21
Group:
Registered Users
I saw the little ticket tric with the same thing, they probably use it read the plates or tags and if the car is parked for more then two hours it gets the boot. BTW, I hate the parking authority with passion and I wouldn't have aproblem with it being dissolved and replace with something else.

Posted on: 2007/10/11 21:30

Parking Authority van with cameras
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/2/15 19:25
Group:
Registered Users
Walking through Hamilton Park today I saw that the parking authority has a new toy - a van with cameras slowly driving down 8th street. I guess they've got something that can automatically read the tags and note the time to see if people don't have permits or are out of state.

Remind me again how much money did the parking authority lose last year and the year before that and, oh yeah, the year before that?

Time to disolve the JCPA or get someone who can make the thing work to the benefit of the citizen of Jersey City and not it's employees or anyone else.

Posted on: 2007/10/11 21:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
About time - I've always thought booting was stupid because it meant that the car can't be moved immediately once the driver gets back - which means whoever needs that space has to wait too.

Posted on: 2007/7/22 20:47

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/10/10 16:29
Group:
Registered Users
I love how they refer to the person trying to get the boot off of their car as the 'customer'. While we're certainly paying for a service (removal of the boot), I highly doubt anybody feels like a customer in this case.

I do think that this is a good move though... The time I had my car booted, I took a taxi into Journal Square. As soon as the taxi driver saw me carrying my boot notice, he knew exactly where I wanted to go. Ends up being about the same price and is probably a whole lot more convenient this way.

Posted on: 2007/7/22 20:06

Parking Authority to change booting system, increase fines to $110
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
These boots are made for...

Parking Authority to change booting system, increase fines to $110

Ricardo Kaulessar
Reporter Staff Writer 07/22/2007

Starting in September, parking violators in Jersey City who find a "boot" on their cars will be able to remove it quickly by paying over the phone.

This and other changes are being instituted by the Parking Authority over the next few months.

The new booting system starts in early August but will not be completely implemented until after Labor Day. Those penalized with a steel boot for violations like parking without a proper permit can call an automated collector and pay over the phone.

Then, the customer will receive a code that they can enter into the computerized keypad on the boot.

Since July 1 of last year, the Parking Authority has collected approximately $550,000 in booting fines.

And starting in September, booting fines will climb from $75 to $110.

In other changes, a new centralized meter machine, or "multi-space machine," will replace regular meters as a city public parking lot at 701 Newark Ave. There, customers can enter the number of the space where they are parked, put in their payments, and get a receipt.

Several other parking lots will get these meters before year's end.

Parking Authority Executive Director Mark Russ said recently the new initiatives are part of the agency's efforts to become more efficient.

"We can free many Parking Authority employees to do other tasks in the city such as more enforcement against illegal parking and other parking violations," Russ said.

Computerized permits

Also, in April, the Parking Authority implemented a new computer system that prints out a parking permit when a customer requests a yearly permit.

An annual parking permit costs $10 for residents and $300 for non-residents.

There are 10 different zones in Jersey City requiring permits. Those who park in a zone for which they do not have a permit can park for up to two hours. But beyond that limit, they can either expect a $42 ticket or, in several areas in the city, a ticket and steel boot.

Russ said that an audit showed that his department didn't have a good accounting of how many permits were issued, or the revenues for the permits.

"We were buying them in cases of 1,000, and they had a date and year on it," Russ said. "So if we sold only 500 in a year, then we were left with 500 that could never be used again."

Cost savings

The changes are meant to save time and money.

After a boot is removed from a customer's car, the customer will be able to return it within 48 hours to locations set up around the city, rather than traveling to the Central Avenue office of the Parking Authority.

But Russ said the Parking Authority will still be involved in the booting process.

"They can also return the boots to our office [on Central Avenue], and if you weren't able to pay by phone, we would be dispatched to remove the boot," Russ said.

Russ said the reason that booting fines will be increased is that it allows for the Parking Authority to collect $75, while the other $35 will be going to PayLock in Sayreville for the cost of the boots and the automated service.

New meters

Regarding the new multi-space meters, Russ said the old meters cost about $550 each to purchase and required constant maintenance because they jam.

The new machines, designed by Metric Parking of Cranbury, N.J., cost $14,000 each. They can do the work of at least 50 meters.

Russ said the profits from the first machine will go into purchasing the second machine, and so on.

"The parking enforcement officer, all he has to do is to go to the machine, plug into the machine, and he'll see who is in violation," Russ said.

Russ said that ground has been broken for the next machine to be installed at a public parking lot with 80 meters at 330 Central Ave., blocks from the Parking Authority office.

Ricardo Kaulessar can be reached at rkaulessar@hudsonreporter.com

Posted on: 2007/7/22 13:17

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017