Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
156 user(s) are online (137 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 156

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: T-shirt making fun of Mayor Healy circulates -- sources point to Fulop's political consultant
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/8/6 12:00
From Hoboken
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

stepanstas wrote:
I think that Healy is a person that made Jersey City public not just to outsiders, but to Jersey City people aswell.

When Cunnigham was arround, I did not know anything about this city. No plans, no ideas, speaches. Nothing

Its changed with Healy. BTW, he is the one who i think organized the Mayors Against Guns program.

Are you kidding? I heard about this City all the time way before I moved here...

also, I think the shirt is HEEEEEElarious and I want one. Politicians have been publically mocked since the beginning of politicians.

Gina

Posted on: 2007/10/1 16:10

Re: T-shirt making fun of Mayor Healy circulates -- sources point to Fulop's political consultant
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/12/10 15:54
Group:
Banned
Quote:

stepanstas wrote:
I think that Healy is a person that made Jersey City public not just to outsiders, but to Jersey City people aswell.

When Cunnigham was arround, I did not know anything about this city. No plans, no ideas, speaches. Nothing

Its changed with Healy. BTW, he is the one who i think organized the Mayors Against Guns program.

speeches, not speaches

Posted on: 2007/10/1 13:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Healy didn't make JC public - Developers and Investors made JC public to protect their investment and make money for themselves. Healy role was to just gave away HUGE abatements to them and they did the rest.
If anything Healy gave away JC too cheaply and introduced us to the concept of nepotism, poor management, unethical and corruptable staff and left huge loop holes for certain staff to 'milk' money from JC funds.

Posted on: 2007/10/1 10:43
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/2/7 17:42
From Ward E - Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

stepanstas wrote:

When Cunnigham was arround, I did not know anything about this city. No plans, no ideas, speaches. Nothing...

Also give Mayor Healy credit for letting us know about what is going on in Bradley Beach. Under the Cunningham and Schundler administrations I had no idea that Bradley Beach existed.

Posted on: 2007/10/1 3:32

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/2/15 1:46
Group:
Registered Users
Recently I posted on this site about my reluctance to shop at the Pathmark store on Grand St. I felt it was somewhat unkempt and I felt a little unsafe. However after reading this article about those teenage girls wearing those funny tee-shirts I may have to reconsider my negativity on Pathmark. I think that the comedy would be worth the risk.

Posted on: 2007/10/1 2:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/8/14 6:40
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2007/10/1 2:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
What we really need is a boutique selling those t-shirts at $40 a pop.

Posted on: 2007/10/1 1:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 3:29
Group:
Banned
Quote:

DanL wrote:
judge for yourself.....

if you have not watched or particpated in past council meetings and other public forums, there are a number of up coming public events where you should have the opportunity to introduce yourself and speak with the Mayor including the Grove Street Octoberfest and the opening party for the Artist "Studio" Tour at Canco Lofts, both this friday, 10/5.... just leave the t-shirt at home.

Quote:

jennymayla wrote:
Okay, I am not Healy fan by any great stretch BUT...

To the best of my knowledge, he has never been caught making any decision for our city under the influence or impaired on the job. Yes, he has two pretty unfortunate after-hours drunk incidents, but that's as much bad luck and stupid personal choices than anything else.

Alcoholism is serious business. So is being mayor. So I don't think it's fair to Healy or to the city to confuse the two.

The t-shirt is in incredibly poor taste and to whoever is behind it, what goes around, comes around. Karma is a bitch, yo.

I actually have met him several times and seen him in action but all politics aside, I didn't notice him being so wildly out of the ordinary and certainly not wasted. Not sure if you are implying otherwise. In any case, the people voted him in (for the record, I did not) and as a human being, he deserves some respect, you know?

Posted on: 2007/10/1 1:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/7/30 1:08
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
judge for yourself.....

if you have not watched or particpated in past council meetings and other public forums, there are a number of up coming public events where you should have the opportunity to introduce yourself and speak with the Mayor including the Grove Street Octoberfest and the opening party for the Artist "Studio" Tour at Canco Lofts, both this friday, 10/5.... just leave the t-shirt at home.

Quote:

jennymayla wrote:

To the best of my knowledge, he has never been caught making any decision for our city under the influence or impaired on the job. Yes, he has two pretty unfortunate after-hours drunk incidents, but that's as much bad luck and stupid personal choices than anything else.

Alcoholism is serious business. So is being mayor. So I don't think it's fair to Healy or to the city to confuse the two.

The t-shirt is in incredibly poor taste and to whoever is behind it, what goes around, comes around. Karma is a bitch, yo.

Posted on: 2007/10/1 1:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/23 17:09
Group:
Registered Users
And may I ask before I show up with my big foam hand to whistle you on, exactly which part of your body will be saluting?

Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
Every corporate leader and top end manager should and must expose /stand naked to all colleagues and subordinates..........As suggested, this will only generate respect and show outstanding leadership qualities and asperations for others.
I will face in the direction of City Hall and salute the Mayor for this creative way of instilling this important new trend in boss / worker or public servant / tax-payer relationship.

drunkeness!

Posted on: 2007/9/30 23:18
soshin: Mention guns and bd pops up through a hole in the ground like a heavily armed meercat

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

JCLAW wrote:
I want to respond to your comment in all seriousness Jennymayla. The Mayor comes to work at least slightly inebriated nearly every day. He makes almost all of his decisions 'under the influence,' as you put it. He also sets a standard of behavior for his large staff, 'under the influence,' and attempts to manage a major bureaucracy and the services it is supposed to deliver to residents while 'under the influence.'

You can judge those decisions, that standard-setting and that management as you see fit, good or bad - but I assure you, there is a real impairment on the job.

The police are not allowed to drink during the duty day, why should their commander-in-chief not be subjected to the same requirements?

If that is true, I stand corrected.

I still think the t-shirt is crass and uncool, though.

Posted on: 2007/9/30 23:08

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/5/18 18:58
Group:
Registered Users
I want to respond to your comment in all seriousness Jennymayla. The Mayor comes to work at least slightly inebriated nearly every day. He makes almost all of his decisions 'under the influence,' as you put it. He also sets a standard of behavior for his large staff, 'under the influence,' and attempts to manage a major bureaucracy and the services it is supposed to deliver to residents while 'under the influence.'

You can judge those decisions, that standard-setting and that management as you see fit, good or bad - but I assure you, there is a real impairment on the job.

The police are not allowed to drink during the duty day, why should their commander-in-chief not be subjected to the same requirements?

Posted on: 2007/9/30 22:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned

Posted on: 2007/9/30 22:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Every corporate leader and top end manager should and must expose /stand naked to all colleagues and subordinates..........As suggested, this will only generate respect and show outstanding leadership qualities and asperations for others.

I will expose / stand naked to all, on one of my building sites on Monday morning that my guys are working at for this very reason.
I will face in the direction of City Hall and salute the Mayor for this creative way of instilling this important new trend in boss / worker or public servant / tax-payer relationship.

PS - I can list many incidences where people would lose their jobs or license for car, firearms use etc, if they were caught drunk.
Alcoholism is a disease, therefore our good Mayor SHOULD step down until he sorts himself out - he is a freight train waiting for an accident like his dumb-ass nephew cop who killed a child and crippled it's mother!
His mental state and decision making skill as an alcoholic would be impaired and detrimental to this City.

PPS - Its not a case on how many times the good Mayor has been caught in a drunken state - Its the times he hasn't, thats the question and any history of his drunkeness!

Posted on: 2007/9/30 21:22

Edited by fat-ass-bike on 2007/9/30 22:19:12
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

bluehorse wrote:
It's not the nakedness that's shameful, it's the drunkenness.

I don't have anything personal against him, but to me his alcoholism is a sign of weakness of character, which makes him unworthy of being our mayor. Bradley Beach is just one public example of such weakness.

Alcoholism is a disease, not a sign of weak character.

Posted on: 2007/9/30 20:56

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/11/14 16:28
Group:
Registered Users
It's not the nakedness that's shameful, it's the drunkenness.

I don't have anything personal against him, but to me his alcoholism is a sign of weakness of character, which makes him unworthy of being our mayor. Bradley Beach is just one public example of such weakness.

Posted on: 2007/9/30 15:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/23 17:09
Group:
Registered Users
I hate to say this, but things like this make me more sympathetic to Healy and trust me, I've never been a big fan of Healy's solely based on his abatement policy.

My understanding of the naked event is that he came out in a towel and the person taking the picture tore off the towel. Even if this isn't the real story who cares if he is naked? So much for judging a person on what they actually do for the city.

If I were mayor Healy I would be proud to be naked on my front lawn. If my spouse were mayor Healy he'd probably have posed for the camera... I guess there is a good reason some of us are not mayor.

Perhaps Mayor Healy's supporters should have "Naked and Proud of it" or "If you want to see me naked, all you have to do is ask. Nicely."

But these kind of stunts turn my stomache.

Posted on: 2007/9/30 14:33
soshin: Mention guns and bd pops up through a hole in the ground like a heavily armed meercat

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/2 19:00
From Jersey Cxxx
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JSQ wrote:
If somebody on the board came up with that and it was copied from here, the scenario is obvious. It's easy to point to the Internet wizard among the local politicians. Is this what they study these days in Public Administration?

Poor fasteddie, Once again someone copied his ideas, just like the Velcro with the double stick tape backing he invented. Such a shame!

fe- I feel your pain,once a similar thing happened to me; I watched a city caucus meeting on channel 1 and someone used something from one of posts. (I felt so violated!) And the worst part ... they didn't read my last few sentences and got schooled!
I wish upon you the same karma! ; )

Posted on: 2007/9/30 5:31

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/7/20 5:33
Group:
Banned
Being 10 minutes away from Manhattan made this city "public". Not Healy. If Fulop is behind this then he has my vote.

Posted on: 2007/9/30 4:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/8/14 6:40
Group:
Registered Users
Thats messed up from my point of you.

Healy did a lot for this city.

He made it public

Posted on: 2007/9/30 4:41

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/8/4 14:09
From Journal Square, duh!
Group:
Registered Users
If somebody on the board came up with that and it was copied from here, the scenario is obvious. It's easy to point to the Internet wizard among the local politicians. Is this what they study these days in Public Administration?

Posted on: 2007/9/30 4:09

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/3/18 15:05
From John Wilkes Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:
The image of some grey haired man passing these out to little kids at Montgomery Gardens housing is sad and very creepy!

Sure you ain't behind this FE?

Nah, I thought not. Anyway, I'm sure the "You're Fulop Crap" t-shirts can't be far behind.

And FYI, that IS MY DAMN SLOGAN, NO PINCHING IT!!!

Posted on: 2007/9/29 17:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/14 17:57
From McGinley Square
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fasteddie wrote:
HEY! That's MY slogan from 7/9/06. Those bastards! I want a T shirt!
See post #91 below.

[url=http://jclist.com/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=5422&viewmode=flat&order=ASC&type=&mode=0&start=75]Post #91]/url]

Well, Webmaster? I believe fasteddie that he quoted it first.

So, are you going to check the credits before you sell the shirts? Here's your motivation to sell these shirts on jclist:

A new template for the print, with a centered line at the bottom saying:

"courtesy of FastEddie . www.jclist.com . (c) 2006"

that would make it alright by me. because, even though the Healy team probably hates the image impact of this shirt, I bet Jerry has gotten a guffaw or two or fifty out of it himself. It's sooooooooooo Jersey City.

Eddie, if you really coined that, you deserve more than a t-shirt, dude.

Posted on: 2007/9/29 17:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/24 10:08
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:
The image of some grey haired man passing these out to little kids at Montgomery Gardens housing is sad and very creepy!

Is it any sadder than Healy pandering to black voters in JC ??

DTG

Posted on: 2007/9/29 16:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users

Quote:

Ricardo Kaulessar wrote:
Sources pointed a finger at Tom Bertolli, a political consultant for Fulop... Shirts have been distributed at the Booker T. Washington Apartments... Bertolli denied involvement...said he had, indeed, seen the shirts being worn at the Montgomery Gardens housing projects in Jersey City. He said he chuckled when he saw them.

"Someone was giving out free t-shirts," said 15-year-old Alyce Miller last week, "and we just took them." Miller and her three friends live in the Booker T. Washington Apartments...When asked who was giving away the t-shirts, they couldn't identify the person by name, but described the person as having "gray hair."

They were also asked if they knew to whom the t-shirt was referring. They said they had no idea. When told it was probably about Mayor Healy, one of the young ladies responded in embarrassment: "Wow. We didn't know it was about him."

Posted on: 2007/9/29 16:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/3/3 2:45
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
What happens in Bradley Beach doesn't stay in Bradley Beach.

Posted on: 2007/9/29 16:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/13 23:12
Group:
Registered Users
HEY! That's MY slogan from 7/9/06. Those bastards! I want a T shirt!
See post #91 below.

Post #91

Posted on: 2007/9/29 15:22

T-shirt making fun of Mayor Healy circulates -- sources point to Fulop's political consultant
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Get drunk...get elected

T-shirt making fun of Mayor Healy circulates around city

Ricardo Kaulessar
Jersey City Reporter -- 09/28/2007

GET DRUNK, GET NAKED? This t-shirt has begun circulating in different parts of Jersey City in the past several weeks.
Will it be the new, hip fashion statement this fall for among Jersey City's denizens?

It is a t-shirt that reads, "GET DRUNK. GET NAKED. GET ARRESTED. GET ELECTED - JERSEY CITY, N.J."

The shirt, which is apparently directed at Mayor Jerramiah Healy, was distributed near the city's housing projects last week. Sources claimed the shirt was the work of a local political consultant on behalf of a mayoral hopeful.

Two embarrassing incidents

For anyone who has paid attention to this city's political scene since October, 2004, the shirt sparks an immediate memory of Mayor Healy's embarrassing moments since running for office.

First, photos of a drunken Healy were circulated just before the special election of November, 2004, when 11 candidates competed to fill the shoes of the late Mayor Glenn Cunningham, who had died from a heart attack. In the photos, Healy appeared partially naked on the front porch of his house. Healy later explained that he had had a few beers, which may have exacerbated the effects of his diabetes medication. To take the photos, someone hid outside Healy's house and made a loud noise that sent Healy rushing outside.

Then, last year, Healy was arrested in Bradley Beach for allegedly interfering in a police investigation of an argument between a couple. The argument took outside Healy's brother-in-law's bar. Healy said he was trying to break up the couple's fight.

So who is behind the t-shirts?

Political consultant

Sources pointed a finger at Tom Bertolli, a political consultant for outspoken young City Councilman Steven Fulop, who is said to have mayoral aspirations.

So far, the shirts have been distributed at the Booker T. Washington Apartments in Jersey City and a few other locations in the downtown section of the city.

When contacted about the t-shirts, Fulop said, "No one on my staff had any involvement with those shirts."

But several sources, including one longtime political source who has worked various on Jersey City political campaigns including Fulop's, alleged that Bertolli is responsible for the shirts.

Last week, Healy would only comment, "I have not heard anything about this t-shirt."

Not my t-shirt

When reached for comment, Bertolli denied he involvement in creating or distributing the shirt, adding, "No; it's not my t-shirt. That's my story and I'm sticking to it." Bertolli said he had, indeed, seen the shirts being worn at the Montgomery Gardens housing projects in Jersey City. He said he chuckled when he saw them.

"I think it is hilarious, but I take no credit," Bertolli said.

Fulop said he understood the "satire" behind the t-shirt, as he himself was subject of an internet prank in which the front page of his official website, www.stevenfulop.com, was appropriated for another website, www.stevefulop.com, with his picture replaced by the image of Mad Magazine icon Alfred E. Neuman.

But he said he did not approve of the t-shirt.

"I think it is childish," Fulop said. "I don't condone it. People find humor making fun of [politicians]."

Wrong timing?

Some political experts are also surprised that the t-shirts are being distributed to the public nearly two years before the next mayoral election.

But one expert said it is part of a plan to embarrass Healy, thus helping Fulop run for mayor in 2009.

The same expert believes this t-shirt stunt will fail and could backfire on Bertolli, or whoever is behind the shirts. Healy has proven surprisingly resilient to political controversy.

It's getting around

"Someone was giving out free t-shirts," said 15-year-old Alyce Miller last week, "and we just took them."

Miller and her three friends live in the Booker T. Washington Apartments in the Bergen-Lafayette section of the city, about a mile from the Jersey City waterfront. The four of them, including Nydeara Cater, Nadirah Harris, and Amanda Greene, were spotted walking in the Pathmark Supermarket on Grand Street in Jersey City last week wearing the t-shirts.

When asked who was giving away the t-shirts, they couldn't identify the person by name, but described the person as having "gray hair."

They were also asked if they knew to whom the t-shirt was referring. They said they had no idea.

When told it was probably about Mayor Healy, one of the young ladies responded in embarrassment: "Wow. We didn't know it was about him."

One resident has spotted the t-shirt being worn at Newport Center Mall, and another claimed it was being handed out at the Grove Street PATH Station.

Dan Falcon is a resident living in the Newport area who runs the popular internet bulletin board, www.jclist.com. Falcon said he has not only worn the t-shirt in public, but has also gotten a hold of a handful of them from an individual he would not name, who approached Falcon about selling the t-shirts on his website.

"Someone talked about selling t-shirts on jclist," he said, "but we are still working out the details."

For comments on the story, contact Ricardo Kaulessar at rkaulessar@hudsonreporter.com

Posted on: 2007/9/29 14:58

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017