Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
134 user(s) are online (113 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 134

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: CAMPING and using public transportation to get there
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/12/23 2:50
Group:
Registered Users
Others have mentioned canoeing and camping on the Delaware in the Pocanos. Here's a link to Martz's package tours that would let you do it via bus: http://www.destinationpocono.com/specificTrip.asp?TripID=26. We did a similar trip by driving there, camping, and arranging a canoe trip via the campground. It was fun and close enough for a long weekend trip.

If you want to get further away from it all and have more time, Amtrak runs a train up to northern Vermont once a day. I've done the trip to Waterbury Station for skiing a couple times and you would spend most of a day on the train there and back so it partly depends on how you feel about that (I loved watching the snow come down and not having to drive). The train is surprisingly cheap and there are plenty of places to camp along the stops (I would choose Stowe). Northern VT is much more "away from it all" than the Poconos.

Quote:

thomasjcarlson wrote:
My girlfriend and I are dying to get out of the city a little while.. and just take our tent and go camping. Does anyone know if there are close sites near Jersey City/NYC area to take a train or a bus to?

thank you

Thomas
tjcarlson.com

Posted on: 2010/3/23 0:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/10/21 3:42
From Hilltop
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCSHEP wrote:
...As for cold weather camping it is not uncomfortable if you have the right gear (no cotton). So far I havent set out to cold weather camp but my girlfriend and I made it through 20 degree nights on a backpack through Yosemite. I am debating getting a 4 season tent and negative degree bags for a snowshoe/backpack in Montana this March. If I do that I may have a whole new outlook on cold weather camping.

I take back my comment above to some degree. We camped out last week in the Tetons, it was 8 degrees (Fahrenheit) at night. Even with the right technical gear it was somewhat uncomfortable. We were glad we did it, it was worth it, but I wouldnt quite call it comfortable. Without the right technical gear I am not sure it would be survivable.

Posted on: 2010/3/22 14:01

Re: Speaking of camping...
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/25 20:40
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
Can you camp in South Mountain? I know they have camping areas (Tulip Springs, Boy Scout Woods) but I was always under the impression they were for one-off group outings.

Posted on: 2009/12/7 3:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/11/28 0:04
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
As was mentioned upthread, you can take the Port Jervis line from Hoboken to Tuxedo. There is an entrance to Harriman State Park within walking distance from the station.

You can also take the Morris and Essex Line from Hoboken to Millburn. There is an entrance to South Mountain Reservation across from the station.

I have done day hikes from these locations, but they should work for overnight camping as well.

Posted on: 2009/12/7 1:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

sandman wrote:
Brewster, I'm kinda just seeking out favorite campgrounds, of the JClisters, and why they like them.

Well, most of my favorite campgrounds are near great whitewater, so that's not a universal standard. The family is forcing me to do more nonpaddling camping trips, so I will say that Stokes State Forest up on 206 has some of the nicest sites, woodsy with lots of space between, not one of those places where you feel like you're camping in a parking lot. We were at one of those along the Housatonic this summer and some clown in a camper fired up his generator at 6am!

Posted on: 2009/12/4 17:53

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/16 20:17
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

sandman wrote:
Quote:

Stratocaster wrote:
Saw some folks camping in Hamilton park today, they were using the benchs as cots

Were they singing round the campfire and toasting marshmallows?

.. No but they were drinking big 40's and peeing in the bushes.

Sounds a typical white trash kamp to me 8~)

Posted on: 2009/12/4 17:28

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/9 18:01
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Stratocaster wrote:
Saw some folks camping in Hamilton park today, they were using the benchs as cots

Were they singing round the campfire and toasting marshmallows?

.. No but they were drinking big 40's and peeing in the bushes.

Posted on: 2009/12/4 17:26

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/16 20:17
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2009/12/4 17:22

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:

Well, I like Russell Brook in Roscoe, NY. I've been camping there for years now. It's a nice, wooded, family-owned site where most of the tent sites are situated right along the babbling brook (Russell Brook).

Terry and Pat are the owners. Tell them you're an online friend of Tom, the guy who fell backwards into the campfire way back when. Yeah, that one left a scar.

Gives new meaning to toasting your marshmallows.

Tommy is this you? LOL

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fus ... dividual&VideoID=41426969

Seriously though, thanks for the recommendation. I never would have found out about that place on my own. That's the kind of info I'm looking for.

Posted on: 2009/12/4 17:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hilltop
Group:
Registered Users
I have never been car camping, only backpacking and hiking. I would be interested to hear the recommendations as I have some friends who are only willing to car camp. This link may help for NJ: http://www.state.nj.us/dep/parksandforests/parks/camping.html

Locally I prefer the Catskills to the NJ highlands, or the Adirondacks if you want to drive 3-4 hours.

As for cold weather camping it is not uncomfortable if you have the right gear (no cotton). So far I havent set out to cold weather camp but my girlfriend and I made it through 20 degree nights on a backpack through Yosemite. I am debating getting a 4 season tent and negative degree bags for a snowshoe/backpack in Montana this March. If I do that I may have a whole new outlook on cold weather camping.

Posted on: 2009/12/4 17:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

sandman wrote:
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

sandman wrote:
With the recession and all, it's time to break out the old camping gear.

Any recommendations for good camp grounds within a couple hours of JC?

There's so many great state parks in NJ, PA, NY & CT you'll have to narrow down what you're looking to do there. Just in NJ you have parks diverse as the Pine Barrens, Delaware Watergap and High Point.Unfortunately, NJ has the WORST website and booking system, refusing to subscribe to the national reserveamerica.com system.

WEBMASTER, IF YOU'RE GOING TO CONSOLIDATE ALL CAMPING THREADS, AT LEAST GIVE IT A GENERIC "CAMPING" TITLE.

Brewster, I'm kinda just seeking out favorite campgrounds, of the JClisters, and why they like them.
\

Well, I like Russell Brook in Roscoe, NY. I've been camping there for years now. It's a nice, wooded, family-owned site where most of the tent sites are situated right along the babbling brook (Russell Brook).

Terry and Pat are the owners. Tell them you're an online friend of Tom, the guy who fell backwards into the campfire way back when. Yeah, that one left a scar.

Posted on: 2009/12/4 17:00

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
I'm amused by all this camping talk in December. Is anybody planning on going camping this time of year!?! Yikes. The latest I've gone is October, and it gets COLD at night upstate even in October.

I'm not that hearty . Just thinking ahead.

Posted on: 2009/12/4 16:53

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCSHEP wrote:
Quote:

sandman wrote:

Car camping or backpacking?

Car camping.

Posted on: 2009/12/4 16:47

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

sandman wrote:

There's so many great state parks in NJ, PA, NY & CT you'll have to narrow down what you're looking to do there. Just in NJ you have parks diverse as the Pine Barrens, Delaware Watergap and High Point.Unfortunately, NJ has the WORST website and booking system, refusing to subscribe to the national reserveamerica.com system.

WEBMASTER, IF YOU'RE GOING TO CONSOLIDATE ALL CAMPING THREADS, AT LEAST GIVE IT A GENERIC "CAMPING" TITLE.

Posted on: 2009/12/4 16:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
I'm amused by all this camping talk in December. Is anybody planning on going camping this time of year!?! Yikes. The latest I've gone is October, and it gets COLD at night upstate even in October.

Posted on: 2009/12/4 16:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hilltop
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

sandman wrote:

Car camping or backpacking?

Posted on: 2009/12/4 16:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

sandman wrote:

Posted on: 2009/12/4 16:30

Speaking of camping...
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2009/12/4 16:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/2/28 15:23
Group:
Banned
Some additional transport options shown in

http://www.nynjtc.org/trails/no-car.html#places

Posted on: 2007/9/4 23:33

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/10/28 13:48
From Columbus St.
Group:
Registered Users
You can take a grayline bus out of port authority directly to the bear mountain lodge. It's been several years since I last took it, but at the time, it was about $18 round trip.

There are lots of hiking trails there. I can't name a camp ground, but I'm sure they're there too. Google would know. And there's always unofficial camping.

Posted on: 2007/9/4 17:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/29 4:06
Group:
Banned
Cheesequake State Park is a long walk/short but hilly bike ride/short cab ride from the Matawan NJT station. The major problem with that place for tent camping is that it's by a highway and you can always hear highway noise. At night, you can look through the trees by one of the paths to some of the tent sites and see a grungy apartment complex.

Also, if you come and go on weekends, then you can take commuter rail to Netcong. My understanding is that there are several places to camp there that would be a medium-long ride from the Netcong NJT station.

Posted on: 2007/9/4 16:33

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/3/25 11:02
Group:
Registered Users
I used to take the NJT Port Jervis train to Tuxedo from Hoboken. There is a trail into Harriman State Park about 10 minutes walk from the train station.

The NY/NJ Trail Conference makes trail maps of the park.

Posted on: 2007/9/4 15:10

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/10/8 4:55
From Hidden Valley
Group:
Registered Users
http://www.nps.gov/archive/fiis/SmithPointCountyPark.htm

http://www.nps.gov/fiis/planyourvisit/watchhillhours.htm

My friend went to smith point last week. I know you can get to these on ferry.

Posted on: 2007/8/30 20:27

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/10/8 4:55
From Hidden Valley
Group:
Registered Users
Well I must agree with the posters that suggested the Water Gap, as it is a great area, that is very large with completely different opportunities.

Canoeing the Delaware is great fun. My favorite trip is the matamoras to Dingmans ferry and camping along the river. 99% sure that you can take a bus there and the company will pick you up.

Also, on the southern part of the park, where 80 crosses over to PA, the AT(appalachian trail) runs north and there are many other trails, long and short, difficult to easy, which lead to different attractions, a glacier pond,great view, etc.

This area I consider the closest area to actually get into the "real" outdoors. Also, you can take buses there, even if you have to go to Easton and take a cab back.

Farther north you can hit Harrimans, but I don't like it because of the crowds this time of year. Buses go there.

My second favorite for this area is the Catskills, which have everything. Buses or trains take you to Kingston, from there I would hitchhike.

I am seeing that I am rambaling, so I am going to stop here. I obviously love the outdoors and have gone a lot of places around here. PM if you want more info.

peace, and have fun wherever you go.

Posted on: 2007/8/30 20:19

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/11/6 4:22
Group:
Registered Users
I head out with a group of friends every summer up to Pond Eddy, NY which is on the Delaware River. We do a camping and rafting for the weekend. Pond Eddy is about 15 miles north of Port Jervis. I know you can take NJ Transit train from Hoboken to Port Jervis. I am not sure how to get from Port Jervis to the camp site though, I am usually driving up there. But I have to imagine there is some cab company up there. There are a few sites up there that do the rafting and camping. Maybe if you speak to the sites they could give you some suggestions on how to get from the train to the site.

http://www.jerrys3rivercampground.com/camping.html

Posted on: 2007/8/30 20:03

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2007/9/19 21:47
Group:
Registered Users
Metro North has a stop called Appalachian Trail, that and the ones north of it are pretty much into the country - you might try calling them and seeing what's around there.

If you take a yellow cab fromtrain to a campsite, please post a picture of your arrival.

Posted on: 2007/8/30 20:00

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/9/12 23:21
Group:
Registered Users
i am not sure about the public transportation, but if u have the ability to get out to dingmans ferry Pa / NJ on the deleware water gap , I highly reccomend doing an overnight canoe trip . Matamoras to Dingmans ferry and camp out on one of the islands in the middle of the river.
the islands are free to campout on, but u have to rent a canoe for two days. It is definitely worth it.

http://www.kittatinny.com/pages/canoeing_trips.php

there are other companies that are cheaper.

Posted on: 2007/8/30 19:53

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/10/17 23:54
Group:
Registered Users
Not sure how old this page is but it has the contact info for the bus companies

http://www.columbia.edu/cu/hiking/public.html

Posted on: 2007/8/30 19:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/10/20 16:18
Group:
Registered Users
Thomas I would love to help you but I cant. I imagine there must be some public transportation from NYC to Harriman , off 87 (New York Thruway).

Thank you also for the link to your works.. honestly, just stunning painting.

Posted on: 2007/8/30 19:01

CAMPING and using public transportation to get there
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/3/31 22:10
Group:
Registered Users
My girlfriend and I are dying to get out of the city a little while.. and just take our tent and go camping. Does anyone know if there are close sites near Jersey City/NYC area to take a train or a bus to?

thank you

Thomas
tjcarlson.com

Posted on: 2007/8/30 18:15

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact