Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
104 user(s) are online (95 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 104

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: NYC crackdown on noise -- Jersey City's new ordinance goes into effect July 17
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCbiscuit wrote:
Quote:

ilovefood wrote:
what about the people who lay on their horns for ten minutes when they're outside waiting to pick someone up??
we call that the Jersey doorbell.

You mean the inner city ghetto doorbell. Lets not insult the integrity of the entire state of New Jersey for the ignorant actions of the socially inept.

Posted on: 2012/2/12 17:57
Get on your bikes and ride !

Re: NYC crackdown on noise -- Jersey City's new ordinance goes into effect July 17
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

gogglygogol wrote:
The sirens of ambulances and police cars and firetrucks are the worst noise disturbance we have to put with in Jersey City. At 3 a.m. why in god's name, when there is no traffic do these sirens have to blast away??? There should be a law in effect that says no sirens after a certain time of night - other cities have this rule why not Jersey City - this is a quality of life issue.

They changed the garbage truck pick-up times so why not the sirens for the same reason ? Maybe lt is a liability issue just like the not turning off the engines of these said vehicles so if an emergency arises they can just hop in and go leaving a wake of fumes behind.

Posted on: 2012/2/12 17:53
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ilovefood wrote:
what about the people who lay on their horns for ten minutes when they're outside waiting to pick someone up??

we call that the Jersey doorbell.

Posted on: 2012/2/12 5:17

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/2/12 3:29
Group:
Registered Users
The sirens of ambulances and police cars and firetrucks are the worst noise disturbance we have to put with in Jersey City. At 3 a.m. why in god's name, when there is no traffic do these sirens have to blast away??? There should be a law in effect that says no sirens after a certain time of night - other cities have this rule why not Jersey City - this is a quality of life issue.

Posted on: 2012/2/12 3:36

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/8/10 14:28
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2007/8/24 3:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/5/10 16:39
From Donny City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

mrrogers wrote:
Dumb law.The way it reads a cop can put his ear against my door and if he can hear the sterio on i can get a ticket.These things need to be more thought out.

C'mon, it's Joisey City Youz talkin' bout! Soundz like a greatz idears for a newz cash-cow to meeez...

Posted on: 2007/8/24 2:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/19 17:53
Group:
Registered Users
Dumb law.The way it reads a cop can put his ear against my door and if he can hear the sterio on i can get a ticket.These things need to be more thought out.

Posted on: 2007/8/24 2:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/12/15 2:25
Group:
Registered Users
Its not 7 decibels nominal, its 7 decibels in reference to ambient noise. I would have figured you artists would know something about this.

Posted on: 2007/8/23 21:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/8/5 3:20
From Jersey City Heights
Group:
Registered Users
bryhove is a genius:

"I can't take a crap under 7 decibels."

Posted on: 2007/8/23 20:06

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/2/14 23:00
Group:
Registered Users
This ordinance has had essentially no effect on Sandbar, the apparent reason for the thing to start with. You can still hear the bass pumping from Sandbar a half mile away.

Posted on: 2007/8/23 17:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/27 19:59
From journal square
Group:
Registered Users
I think theyre shooting themselves in the foot if they want to promote the city as a fun place to be after 8pm. There are plenty of successful cities with a nightlife that manage not to drive all the residents crazy. i dont think this is the answer. I do agree that noise pollution from citizens outside clubs blaring music in cars and yelling or whatever should be cracked down on, but not in bars and clubs.

Posted on: 2007/8/23 16:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Where does it say 7 decibels?

Posted on: 2007/8/23 16:05

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/2/9 22:02
Group:
Banned
NOISE ORDINANCE -7 decibels??!!??

I can't take a crap under 7 decibels.

FULOP - I know you pushed hard for this one. Way to go. Nice progressive approach to our growing community. I walk around Park Slope; brownstone neighborhood; lots of live music, decent pizza places, and it's boomin at 1am. It's great. Our chances of having anything like that here are shot because of this stupid ordinance. I don't even go out around here anymore because(with exception to Iron Monkey) there is no music in Jersey City.
Pro Arts or Pro Sleep?

-bryan beninghove

Posted on: 2007/8/23 14:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/24 18:16
From "Pay for Play"
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

BrightMoment wrote:
Dear Jersey City Arts Organizers,

This note is to inform all those who run arts programs, cover the Jersey City art scene, book music events and/or host any sort of live entertainment event inside or outside of their establishment, that I have asked Ward E Councilman Steven Fulop to meet with us in order to answer our questions and provide information about the new Entertainment and Dance Licenses Ordinance.

This meeting will be held at City Hall on Tuesday, July 24th at 7pm

Some questions to be raised:

* What is this license?
* Who will it impact?
* Who needs the license?
* How long is it good for?
* What is the financial commitment?
* How and where does one obtain this license?

Please forward this to anyone who may be interested.

Kind regards,
Christine Goodman

--
CHRISTINE GOODMAN
Founder/Artistic Director, Art House Productions
-------------------------------------------
*ART HOUSE PRODUCTIONS*
Creating Performance, Broadcast and Publishing Opportunities for Artists
P.O. Box 3264
Jersey City, NJ 07303
t. (201) 915-9911
e. info@arthouseproductions.org
w. www.arthouseproductions.org

JC Fridays
Celebrating the arts in Jersey City
www.jcfridays.com

Posted on: 2007/7/24 21:36
Resized Image
Help US Sue Spectra! Join OR Donate!

Re: Noise Ordinance mtg City Hall, July 24 @ 7PM
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/7/30 1:08
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
The only changes to the ordinance are the references to "outdoor entertainment" in boldface.

This ordinance does nothing more. All of the rest of the langauge is existing, perhaps for decades or more.

You can confirm by looking at section 157 on the city's website at -
http://municipalcodes.lexisnexis.com/codes/jersey/

Posted on: 2007/7/20 0:14

Re: Noise Ordinance mtg City Hall, July 24 @ 7PM
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From "Pay for Play"
Group:
Registered Users
I looked for the Noise Ordinance on both JC Municipal site and Steven Fulop's site but not listed. Thanks much to Anthony who sent the ordinance out with his broadcast email list and I am hosting on my server below. Also, Anthony's blog of events around town is one of the best:
http://www.rockitdocket.blogspot.com

Quote:
Anthony Vito Susco wrote:

Christine Goodman from Art House Productions set up this meeting with Councilman Steve Fulop to discuss the recent amendment to the Entertainment and Dance License Ordinance passed by the City Council. I have attached a copy of the entire ordinance (the new amendments are underlined). As you can assume, this meeting is being set up to deal with our concern over how this is going to effect the events that the art community hosts as well as the effects on all downtown businesses.

Click here to read:Noise Ordinance
Quote:

BrightMoment wrote:

This note is to inform all those who run arts programs, cover the Jersey City art scene, book music events and/or host any sort of live entertainment event inside or outside of their establishment, that I have asked Ward E Councilman Steven Fulop to meet with us in order to answer our questions and provide information about the new Entertainment and Dance Licenses Ordinance.

* What is this license?
* Who will it impact?
* Who needs the license?

Kind regards,
Christine Goodman

--
CHRISTINE GOODMAN
*ART HOUSE PRODUCTIONS*
P.O. Box 3264
Jersey City, NJ 07303
t. (201) 915-9911

JC Fridays
www.jcfridays.com

Posted on: 2007/7/19 19:16
Resized Image

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/6/18 15:50
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
So what about their night time garbage pick up? I gotta imagine that that's definitely violating their own ordinance.

Posted on: 2007/7/19 0:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/11/5 23:00
Group:
Registered Users
I doubt this will effect the "thriving" JC nightlife... Bars and clubs aren't allowed to have live music or dancing anyways. A noise ordinance isn't killing much...

It might help with the punk ass kids blasting jack in the box music at 3am on a tuesday night.

Posted on: 2007/7/19 0:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From "Pay for Play"
Group:
Registered Users

* What is this license?
* Who will it impact?
* Who needs the license?

Kind regards,
Christine Goodman

--
CHRISTINE GOODMAN
*ART HOUSE PRODUCTIONS*
P.O. Box 3264
Jersey City, NJ 07303
t. (201) 915-9911

JC Fridays
www.jcfridays.com

Posted on: 2007/7/18 20:05
Resized Image

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/1/27 22:17
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Does this mean the cops will actually break up a noisy party, say past 12 midnight? I have neighbors who throw parties and the guests get loud/drunk and keep me up past midnight.

Posted on: 2007/7/13 14:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
BM,

I didn't specifically call you classist, the author of the article clearly is. However, by reading some of your prior posts you are quick to call others racist for their views on social economic issues.

Posted on: 2007/7/13 13:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From "Pay for Play"
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

NNJR wrote:
Quote:
I think what?s happening is the cops are freaking out about the crime, because so many rich people are moving in and poor people are being marginalized

I stopped reading after this line, classist.

For future reference NNJR, anytime you see quotation marks around a passage it indicates those remarks are the statement of one individual, NOT the entire articel!

These are quotation marks: "..."

Posted on: 2007/7/13 5:58
Resized Image

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/8/4 14:09
From Journal Square, duh!
Group:
Registered Users
On a note to DTG: some of us not only go to work, they do actually work.

... how come only "some of us pay taxes"? Does it look like I live in a rent-free tent or do I go into Shoprite and ask the cashier to not hold the sales tax?

But to your credit, when I go out, once in a few months, I don't pay taxes to JC or NJ. I never went out in the evening in JC. The thought gives me the creeps. I have too few money to afford to spend it on the "live shows" that are still permited by my fellow Demmocrat/Communist neighbours.

They go to work, you know.

Posted on: 2007/7/12 23:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/10/15 11:49
Group:
Registered Users
If you could read, you would notice that that's a quote from someone else.

Posted on: 2007/7/12 22:59

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/12/31 20:08
Group:
Registered Users
As quoted in the previous post

"A word about the character of the Sandbar: Mr. Fulop, the local press, and certain members of the Historic Paulus Hook Association surely believe that the club is without redeeming cultural value. That?s because they don?t know thing #1 about Latin culture, they don?t respect Latin music or musicians, and they sure as hell don?t care about the audiences who pack the place to dance to merengue and bachata and the rest of it."

Culture is not the issue here, it is not that we care it is because the after effects of these events pose a great strain on the surrounding neighborhoods.

My underlying theme in my response is as follows (which is the reason why I think JC is so great), JC is an etremely diverse city which is growing and changing rapidily over time. We all need to be willing to accept the rapid growth and changes that are going on all around us. Openess to varying cultures and backgrounds is both important to us, living together and a vital point to the city growing in the right direction.

While I live in the Italian Village area of Downtown JC I am not subject to the Sand Bar noise issues. I have one friend that loves it and goes there regularly and has a great time, but I also have at least 4 other friends that are constantly woken up at 3am on a Saturday or Sunday morning from police sirens from Post Night Club activities, not alone the loud music.

The Sandbar along with at least 5 other establishments have a direct impact on quality of life issues in Jersey City. I am all for supporting bars and restaurants in Jersey City so long as they are co-operative with the community in which they live. I will go to Abbeys or the Star Bar any night of the week because they have a diverse clientele, respectful to their neighbors etc but will not go to lets say the Latin Lounge because they blast music at very loud levels, and cause mass disruptions at lease 4 nights out of the week.

Most of the noise issues that occur are from people leaving these other establishments that blast loud music (some Latin, some rock, some new age etc) at late hours or the early hours of the morning, this in turn makes the clientele more loud in their conversations as a result a more hyped up energy level. They leave all revved up, ready for more, pour out on to our streets and are either singing, get into scuffle but whatever will wake up many. This not only wakes up the local residents on a weekend (which one could argue is tolerable) but on a week night at all hours of the morning (which is less so).

Before I hear responses saying that these clubs have been here for a long time I have one point to make first. Show me the folks that make these disturbances late at night in our neighborhood, give me their address. Let me park in front of their residence at 7am the next morning and let me make a disturbance to wake them up. After that I am open to have a clear open discussion about cultural values and being respectful of each others values.

While I completely accept that 9 out of 10 people that visit these places come and go without a disturbance to the surrounding neighborhood it is the minority that are guilty of these inconsiderate actions. However is it fair for lets say 5 people that are disorderly to wake up a whole block for an early morning arguement that will keep them up for 3 hours on a work night (and trust me I have heard such stories and witnessed many). That is the point that the residents have been pushing with Steve Fulop, Jeramiah Healy and others.

Posted on: 2007/7/12 22:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
I think what?s happening is the cops are freaking out about the crime, because so many rich people are moving in and poor people are being marginalized

I stopped reading after this line, classist.

Posted on: 2007/7/12 22:29

Re: Jersey City's new ordinance goes into effect July 17
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From "Pay for Play"
Group:
Registered Users
Stompbox
The Tris McCall Report

http://stompbox.trismccall.net/

Transmissions from the black hole.
Thursday, July 12, 2007

The great thing about Melissa Surach is that she just doesn?t give a #OOPS#. No diplomacy or weighed words with her; instead, she just comes out and says it:

Last week they cops were cracking down on entertainment licenses and almost shut my BlackHole show down. And we know how many other events had to be cancelled because of the ?entertainment license? scam. fifty8, RockSoup, and Art House all got hit.?

Actually, I didn?t know there was a police-prompted cancellation at the Art House. But if the cops are screwing with Christine Goodman, things are worse than I thought. Christine has done nothing but be nice and cooperative with everybody in this town. Her events are about as responsibly put together as any Cultural Affairs department could ever hope for.

Melissa?s analysis is interesting:

I think what?s happening is the cops are freaking out about the crime, because so many rich people are moving in and poor people are being marginalized, and they don?t know what to do, but they need to blame someone. So they?re blaming ?hippies,? because they think it?s 50 years ago? Jersey City cops are just over grown meatheads picking on the scrawny art kids so they look tough.?

She?s right. Too many people in Jersey City are shockingly quick to conflate artists with criminals. We saw that during the 111 meltdown, and we?re seeing it again now.

On behalf of scrawny art kids everywhere, I urge you to remember the lesson of *Revenge Of The Nerds*: they can only push us around if we don?t stand together. If you care about keeping Jersey City vaguely interesting, make like Melissa and continue to speak out against this draconian ordinance. We?ve lived in Puritan England long enough. It?s time we opened up the windows around here.

Falling back on bad habits.
Wednesday, July 11, 2007

The days when the Jersey City Chief of Police read my webpage are long gone, thankfully, but this is still a public forum, so I?m going to choose my words very carefully today (for once). The last thing I?ve ever wanted to do is draw unwelcome ?official? attention to Downtown events. We don?t know yet whether or not the Entertainment and Dance Licenses Ordinance marks the beginning of a brand-new Schundleresque crackdown on what passes for a Jersey City music scene. But the track record here is terrible, and since it is, I think it is fair for us to be extremely worried about the city?s response to complaints about the Sandbar. If you?re prepared to expect the worst from the Healy Administration and the City Council, I?m not going to try to talk you out of it today.

Scary words in the *Jersey*, from Michelangelo Conte:

Blaring late night music at Jersey City?s Sand Bar Cafe will end Monday now that Mayor Jerramiah Healy has signed a law aimed at curbing drugs and violence at that bar and others.?

Um, *others*? What others are there? There are only about five places in town where you can catch a live show, and one of them is the County Courthouse. That?s not much, but it?s five more than there used to be, and we really can?t afford to lose any of them to some crazy new regulation. Few of them ever do anything outdoors (although the Iron Monkey does have that rooftop deck), so adhering to the letter of the law shouldn?t kill them, correct? But wait a second ? look at how the City of Jersey City is now defining outdoor entertainment:

Any entertainment taking place beyond the outside perimeter walls of the licensed premises or any entertainment which is intended to be audible or which is actually audible beyond such perimeter walls.?

Gulp. You realize what this means, don?t you? It means that if grandma is walking past the Corkscrew one night at 11PM and hears the jukebox, she?s now within her rights to sic the cops on them. Don?t be fooled: the Entertainment and Dance Licenses Ordinanceis all about giving policemen fresh new powers to stop the party. Don?t take *my* word for it; here?s Councilman Fulop, who wrote the new law, quoted by Conte:

It (the SandBar) has been a problem from a quality-of-life standpoint ? noise, violence ? and I?m trying to give police the tools to allow them to be more proactive and change the character?.

A word about the character of the Sandbar: Mr. Fulop, the local press, and certain members of the Historic Paulus Hook Association surely believe that the club is without redeeming cultural value. That?s because they don?t know thing #1 about Latin culture, they don?t respect Latin music or musicians, and they sure as hell don?t care about the audiences who pack the place to dance to merengue and bachata and the rest of it. Call it a dive or a pick-up scene if you like (and you?d be correct), but Elvis Crespo of ?Suavamente? fame was there just last month. Here are pictures to prove it. Hey, I don?t get into cheesy tropical-themed clubs, either. But whether the Mayor, the Ward E Councilman , and the *Jersey* likes it or not, the caliber of the performers who?ve appeared at the Sandbar makes the place a legitimate concert venue. It ought to be treated like a cultural asset, not as a drug den. The Sandbar deserves more respect than it?s getting.

But as you and I know, this isn?t about the Sandbar. This is about Jersey City passing yet another piece of blanket draconian legislation in response to a problem that could probably have been addressed by having a quick talk with Sandbar owner (and Liberty Harbor North developer) Peter Mocco. Again, here?s Conte:

Mocco said neither Fulop, the ordinance?s author, nor Healy, contacted him before passage of the ordinance.?

Well, of course they didn?t. If they had, they might have worked out a compromise, and that would?ve meant no justification for their new nightlife-killing ordinance.

Be afraid, folks.

Posted on: 2007/7/12 21:31
Resized Image

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/11/29 19:49
Group:
Registered Users
Two minor points:

I think the ordinance will help, if enforced, in those situations were a club/bar does take the liberty to be noisy late into the night. I fell it is about striking a balance and I think the new ordinance is reasonable.

Secondly, I wonder if Mayor Healy actually said "hand and hand" or was misquoted by the reporter or copy editor.

Posted on: 2007/7/11 2:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/24 10:08
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JSQ wrote:

Could this affect in any way the pathetic JC night life? Eg, will the phonic insulation costs be such a large increase on the few who would still go to JC instead on NYC?

It you want a night life go to NYC

Some of us pay taxes and go to work on a regular basis.

We need sleep!!

DTG

Posted on: 2007/7/10 18:11

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/8/4 14:09
From Journal Square, duh!
Group:
Registered Users
A lot of people punished these days, losing what they thought is their property because it was public property. Could it be the aftermath of the primaries? Wrong chose of Democratic friends?
Could this affect in any way the pathetic JC night life? Eg, will the phonic insulation costs be such a large increase on the few who would still go to JC instead on NYC?

Posted on: 2007/7/10 16:32

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017