Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
162 user(s) are online (142 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 162

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Lincoln Park: Gun on boy 'robber' just a lighter: cops
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Is there any relationship between poor street lighting and night crime locations via that map?

Posted on: 2007/7/5 10:50
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/12/1 1:50
Group:
Registered Users
ok tank-ass. point taken, but i still think this map would only have very specific uses, i.e., tradesmen that are totally unfamiliar with where they're doing work. delivery guys.....they know where the $hit neighborhoods are.

as for emergent, oh come on! stock prices! haha, that's such a bad comparison. a chart of stock prices for a month, a year.......there's hundreds of things that figure into that one chart.

compiling #'s for a town hall meeting to show where the most crimes are being commited in town is simple math......

"In Greenville, 102 incidents of assault, 47 robberies, 13 shootings, 39 gang related incidents......."

"In the Downtown area, 38 incidents of assault, 18 robberies..........................." etc.

I hardly think that requires a map, or involves nearly the amount of work like devising a stock price chart.

In any case, the map is a positive thing. Go ahead, make your map, somebody will use it to stay safer.

Posted on: 2007/7/5 6:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

trp3 wrote:
uhmm.....i'm sorry, but i gotta add something yet again......

ok...."organizing and presenting data". alright. so you put together all the police reports of where the crimes happened, add up your numbers, and you see how many crimes occur in each part of JC.............why do you need a map to see this?

Neighborhood watch groups could use it to do neighborhood patrols / send guardian angels / notify city hall where CCTV cameras should be - with proof / residents will know where to walk or high risk areas that require you to keep you guard up / keep the cops honest without their crap about streets safe and re ok / safer parking areas / streets that are safer for kids to play / even us tradesmen will know if its safe to do work at your property and leave tools and supplies in the truck / delivery guys could use it / etc etc.
Imagine if every take-away restaurant had this map for their delivery guys - being informed is being safe.

Posted on: 2007/7/4 17:17
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/9 20:30
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

trp3 wrote:

ok...."organizing and presenting data". alright. so you put together all the police reports of where the crimes happened, add up your numbers, and you see how many crimes occur in each part of JC.............why do you need a map to see this?

Why do we need charts to display stock prices... I mean come on, just put together the prices and figure it out in your head. I mean how do charts even help?

Posted on: 2007/7/4 17:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/5 14:18
From Exchange Place
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2007/7/4 16:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2007/7/4 15:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/20 14:33
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Map's a great idea. It's called organizing and presenting data. There's probably no better way to do it for crimes than the map.

Posted on: 2007/7/4 15:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
uhmmm..........maybe i'm just talking silly but.........do we really need a map to know where crimes keep going down?

we find out where they happened, and you keep records of where this stuff happens.........uhmmmm..........so why the map? just for a fun visual?

the cops know where the bad neighborhoods are already......and the crimes continue to happen.......why do we need a map to show this?

i commend you for your efforts but.....

Posted on: 2007/7/4 14:20

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/3/4 2:04
Group:
Registered Users
That is a great idea. Maybe it should have it's own thread so you can post updates. Just a suggestion.

Posted on: 2007/7/4 13:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCP wrote:
Hi all,

I created a google map app to start tracking crime incidents in Jersey City. I'm going to be talking about it at the next downtown jersey city watch meeting. Please have a look and let me know if you want to help track incidents.

http://www.jerseycityportal.com/crimemap.php

Thanks
Jason

I'd hate to think how many 'markers' there will be over a period of 12 months - It would be nice if you could get the info on crimes that don't make it into the papers.

Great job - Hope the community can use it to show the cops that certain neighborhoods are 'high risk' to live in.

Posted on: 2007/7/3 23:45

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/5/22 2:54
Group:
Registered Users
I see some new entries added. The "Story" field is for a link to a website article that describes the crime (i.e., Jersey Journal). I'll try to make the instructions more clear. I can add a description field if needed.

Posted on: 2007/7/3 19:14

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/9/26 20:59
From 240 Newark Avenue
Group:
Registered Users
Hey that's pretty cool... but if you end up being able to connect the dots into a giant arrow pointing to my house I'm outta here.

Mark.

(Reference - Simpsons 1F09 - Homer The Vigilante - thanks for playing.)

Posted on: 2007/7/3 18:10
www.JerseyCityMusic.com
-----------------

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/5/22 2:54
Group:
Registered Users
Hi all,

I created a google map app to start tracking crime incidents in Jersey City. I'm going to be talking about it at the next downtown jersey city watch meeting. Please have a look and let me know if you want to help track incidents.

http://www.jerseycityportal.com/crimemap.php

Thanks
Jason

Posted on: 2007/7/3 15:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
Whether it was a real gun or a lighter, the kid should get a harsh sentence. The effect on the victim was the same.

Posted on: 2007/7/3 15:12

Lincoln Park: Gun on boy 'robber' just a lighter: cops
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Gun on boy 'robber' just a lighter: cops

Tuesday, July 03, 2007
By MICHAELANGELO CONTE
JOURNAL STAFF WRITER

A Jersey City boy armed with a gun-shaped cigarette lighter was charged with robbery yesterday after leading police on a chase through Lincoln Park, officials said.

The 17-year-old Kensington Avenue boy was arrested on Roosevelt and Mallory avenues and charged with robbery, resisting arrest and weapons offenses related to the cigarette lighter, police reports said.

Officers in a cruiser were responding to Gifford and West Side avenues at 3:01 a.m. on a report of an armed robbery when they heard a radio transmission saying another officer was chasing the boy in the park, reports said.

He was arrested on Roosevelt Avenue and when the cops spotted what appeared to be "a small shiny handgun" nearby, the boy said, "it's only a lighter," reports said.

The robbery victim, a 22-year-old Kensington Avenue man, and a witness identified the boy as the robber, and the lighter as the weapon, reports said.

The victim was robbed of $5 and a cell phone, reports said, adding that the $5 was found on the boy and was returned to the victim.

Posted on: 2007/7/3 13:43

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017