Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
100 user(s) are online (80 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 100

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Correct Recycling Preparation?

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/10/31 21:10
Group:
Registered Users
This list from Earth911.org might be more helpful in determining what you can or can't recycle with JC's curbside program: Materials Collected / Services Offered: #1 Plastic (PETE) Plastic milk containers, drink boxes, food containers, laundry detergent bottles, and shampoo bottles are accepted. #2 Plastic (HDPE Clear) Plastic milk containers, drink boxes, food containers, laundry detergent bottles, and shampoo bottles are accepted. #2 Plastic (HDPE Colored) Plastic milk containers, drink boxes, food containers, laundry detergent bottles, and shampoo bottles are accepted. Aluminum Cans Blue Glass Brown Glass Cardboard Chipboard Clear Glass Computer Paper Drink Boxes, Aseptic Containers Green Glass Magazines Milk and Juice Cartons Mixed Paper Newspaper Paperboard Telephone Directories Tin or Steel Cans (This site accepts all types of tin or steel cans except for paint cans.) White Office Paper

Posted on: 2008/9/5 15:55

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/9/23 1:43
Group:
Registered Users
I live near Sweet Pricillas on Jersey and our bottles and cans recycling hasn't been picked up 2 weeks in a row now. The first week we brought it back into the apartment to wait for next week's pick up, and this time we just threw it in the garbage can on the street after it wasn't picked up for the second time. Our whole side of the block was missed. I thought I heard the recycling truck come by last night (friday night) though I might be wrong. We always put ours in the blue bags.

Posted on: 2007/6/30 19:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/7/20 16:31
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

matchjames wrote:
im glad its not just me.. our building TRIES and TRIES and it's literally SO random and So unpredictable, I don't even fight it anymore. I too throw a LOT out in "opaque" bags into regular garbage knowing it's just NEVER going to get picked up.

I would like to participate completely in the recycling
thing, if only it would work.
But for the most part, as i said before, I
haven't had such good luck with it.
If the city would make it easier --
that is, drop so many of their silly
restrictions-- more people would comply.
But the city makes it tedious and costly
and unsanitary to do your recycling --
so a good many people say "Why
Bother?"

Posted on: 2007/6/30 16:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/5 14:18
From Exchange Place
Group:
Registered Users
Maybe some of you graphic artist types can make up a poster for our pathetic city.

Like this:
(Warning, big file!)

http://www.nyc.gov/html/dsny/downloads/pdf/bp_english.pdf

Posted on: 2007/6/29 19:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/10/20 16:18
Group:
Registered Users
im glad its not just me.. our building TRIES and TRIES and it's literally SO random and So unpredictable, I don't even fight it anymore. I too throw a LOT out in "opaque" bags into regular garbage knowing it's just NEVER going to get picked up.

Posted on: 2007/6/29 17:18

Hide User information
Last Login :
2007/7/6 13:42
Group:
Registered Users
Here's what's odd -- for the past two weeks, the paper recycling that we've put in clear, blue plastic bags HAS been picked up, but the cans/glass has not. We'd better invest in a plastic bin 'cause the cans/glass are starting to pile up.

Thanks for posting the guidelines from the site!

Posted on: 2007/6/29 16:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/7/20 16:31
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fraulein wrote:
I\'ve lived in JC for almost 2 years and finally feel I have the schedule and ideal trash and recycling preparation down. However, this morning I noticed that our normal bag of glass/plastic was left, and no others on the block was. I know sometimes they come back around, but it was 9 am, so I assume they were done.

I tried looking on the JC Municipal Services site for information, but found none. Does anyone know if they want recycling prepared differently - I see people with rubbermaids, not sure if that\'s preferred. Thanks!

Most of the time, they will pick up my paper
recycling (which I put into a cardboard box),
but anything more than that gets tricky.
Sometimes they will take cans in a clear
plastic garbage bag; sometimes not.
They almost never take glass.
The last two weeks in a row they have refused
my glass.
I called just the other day for clarification
on glass rules and was told that they will
only take glass from a round plastic
tub or bucket -- not a square one, mind you--
only a round one.
Prior to that I had been told that glass
must go in clear plastic bags.
Plastics like detergent jugs and the like:
forget it. Just put them in your regular
garbage to get rid of them, unless you
have unlimited space in which to store
old garbage.
Some days, they take no recycling at all
other than paper from the whole
block. Other days they take
everything. Other days they
selectively choose, leaving
a good deal behind. It\'s just
a crap shoot getting your stuff
picked up here.
For seven thousand tax dollars
a year, I can\'t expect perfection now,
can I?

Posted on: 2007/6/29 16:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/5/13 20:32
Group:
Registered Users
I always put my recyclables in plastic grocery bags and they get picked up every week with no problems.

Posted on: 2007/6/29 16:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/24 18:16
From "Pay for Play"
Group:
Registered Users
Here is the site for the Jersey City Incinerator Authority

Absolutely NO Plastic Bags

FACTS YOU NEED TO KNOW

1 NO PLASTIC BAGS

All glass, cans, plastics, milk and juice containers, as well as drink boxes, may be combined and placed in large reusable containers.

Newspapers and other paper items can be bundled and tied with cord or string and placed at the curb.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
IMPORTANT FACTS
2 Know the recycling zone you live in. If you are not sure please check our website at www.jciaonline.org or call our office at 201-432-4645.

Items such as air conditioners and refrigerators must be scheduled for a special pickup; please call our office to make an appointment.

SOLID WASTES / RECYCLING

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Residential Waste Collection and Disposal

Did you know that Jersey City is one of the most densely-populated cities in the most densely-populated state? That's why our programs are so important.

Through its contractor, Waste Management, JCIA is responsible for the collection and disposal of all residential and small store waste not exceeding six garbage cans per collection day. Curbside collection is provided twice a week, including holidays.

Bulk waste removal (appliances, furniture, etc.) is also collected during these two pickups. We do require that you notify Jersey City Incinerator Authority at (201) 432-4645 ext. 600, to schedule a bulk waste pickup.

Some appliances such as refrigerators and air conditioners are considered recyclable items and are not to be placed out for garbage collection. Such a pickup must also be scheduled in conjunction with your recycling collection day by calling the JCIA at (201) 432-4645 ext. 600.

Recycling

The Jersey City Incinerator Authority implemented a curbside recycling program in 1985. Currently the Authority requires residents to recycle all mixed newspaper in addition to magazines, junk mail, office paper, telephone books, cardboard boxes, corrugated boxes and laundry detergent boxes.

Such materials must be tied or placed in recycling containers and placed curbside no earlier than 7:00 PM the night before your scheduled collection day.

Co-mingled materials which include glass bottles, aluminum cans, metal cans, milk cartons, drink boxes, water containers, food containers, household cleaner containers, laundry detergent bottles, shampoo bottles, and other related plastic containers can all be placed curbside in a recycling container no earlier than 7:00 PM the night before your scheduled collection day.

Recyclables must not be placed out for collection in plastic bags. Placing such in plastic bags seriously hinders our recycling process. Recyclables shall be placed in large plastic containers.

Refrigerators and air conditioners require special collection. Residents must notify JCIA at (201) 432-4645 ext. 600 to schedule a pickup.

The Authority also provides for a drop-off center, where residents can dispose of clean, untreated, unpainted lumber, tree parts, and tires.

Such must be disposed of Monday through Friday between the hours of 9:00 AM and 3:00 PM at our Route 440 facility. Proof of residence is required.

The Authority also provides for a special Leaf Collection and Christmas Tree Collection program. You can also identify your recycling zone and related collection day by reviewing those related sections of this web site.

Recycle Steps - Step towards a cleaner community. Introducing two new recycling steps you need to take.

Recycle Zone Map - Locate where you live, then note your collection day to help Jersey City keep the world clean.

Special Recyclable - Find out how to recycle such things as wood, leaves, Christmas trees, tires, paint cans, and oil/antifreeze.

Leaf Collection - LEAF BAGS HAVE ARRIVED! Jersey City Incinerator Authority will be distributing FREE biodegradable brown bags for proper disposal of leaves. Visit our link to find out where and when they will be handed out.

Posted on: 2007/6/29 16:21
Resized Image
Help US Sue Spectra! Join OR Donate!

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/6/8 16:02
Group:
Registered Users
Is there a nearby place where we can bring recycling ourselves? The JC Incinerator told me I could drive up and drop it off on Rt 440, but I showed up and they told me that they don't allow anyone to drop off thier own recycling?

Posted on: 2007/6/29 15:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/11/24 5:16
Group:
Registered Users
As I understand it, recycling can be in any kind of receptacle, but they prefer if bottles and cans are not in plastic bags. Maybe that's why they didn't take yours?
FYI, plastic bottle caps can't be recycled, so they go in the regular trash. Also things like yogurt containers often can't be recycled. Jersey City doesn't post what can and cannot be recycled, which is annoying. Anyway, that's what I know.

Posted on: 2007/6/29 15:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/10/20 16:18
Group:
Registered Users
the short answer here is : good luck, sister. They pick up what they want, when they want to. We've had perfectly sorted clean glass and cans left, boxes picked up on one side of the street and not the other, proper recycling NOT picked up since my kind neighbors dropped dog crap bags on it. You have no choice but to bring it to work, take it someplace else, or march it right back inside and hope they take it next time.

Posted on: 2007/6/29 15:49

Correct Recycling Preparation?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/15 11:50
From Village/HP
Group:
Registered Users
I've lived in JC for almost 2 years and finally feel I have the schedule and ideal trash and recycling preparation down. However, this morning I noticed that our normal bag of glass/plastic was left, and no others on the block was. I know sometimes they come back around, but it was 9 am, so I assume they were done.

I tried looking on the JC Municipal Services site for information, but found none. Does anyone know if they want recycling prepared differently - I see people with rubbermaids, not sure if that's preferred. Thanks!

Posted on: 2007/6/29 15:40

« 1 (2)

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017