Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
102 user(s) are online (89 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 102

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: Anyone have any information on the new (huge) building going up at 5th Street and Brunswick?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/11/20 23:45
From gone
Group:
Registered Users
^ IAWTC. It's an eyesore.

And for the money, you can do much better.

Posted on: 2008/12/10 1:35

Re: Anyone have any information on the new (huge) building going up at 5th Street and Brunswick?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Well this really is one of the ugliest buildings Jersey City would be better off without. There really isn't anything redeeming about it.

Posted on: 2008/12/9 23:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/12/15 2:25
Group:
Registered Users
Yellow vinyl siding + "Luxury" sign = oxymoron.

Posted on: 2008/12/9 22:27

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/10/2 4:12
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks for the info. So basically, in your opinion the lack of sales is primarily a function economy and secondary is their pricing and lack of luxury features. Is the Harismus (sp?) Cove area considered to be a good area? I know that it is subjective but, is it safe? Does anyone have access to that link of the crime map that I saw along time ago?

Posted on: 2008/12/9 20:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Most of the units still seem to be available on one of the Realtor sites-- Avalon I think.

There are probably a number of factors as to why the building has not sold:

1. Coming to market in the worst housing slowdown.
2. Vinyl siding
3. Distance from the PATH

There doesn't seem to be anything exceptional about these units; based on the pictures they seem to be very much the typical "luxury" condo but priced similarly to restored brownstones with brick, closer to the PATH, and sold when the market was better.

Posted on: 2008/12/9 6:03

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/10/2 4:12
Group:
Registered Users
Let me preface this by saying that I live in the Heights. So I am not familiar with what is going on in the area. Now that the building is built is seems as though none of them have sold??? Is this attributable entirely to the slow market or is it a function of shoddy construction? What is the deal with that area? Does anyone think that being so close to the embankment is a factor or is it the fact that it is across the street from the funeral home or is it that it is just to far from the PATH? Thoughts anyone?

Posted on: 2008/12/9 1:49

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/2/7 1:54
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jcwalkingman wrote:
Well, here it is about a month later and they constructed about half of the first floor exterior wall today. It looks like there definitely won't be retail in this building along Brunswick Street. Also, it will definitely have a parking garage on the first floor, and if the whole first floor is a garage, it is definitely large enough for twelve cars. I disagree with you about the lot size though, ianmac - looks to me like they can probably fit four units per floor. That would mean four stories. We shall see though...if they continue working at the pace they worked today, the whole structure should be completed by the end of August at the latest!

Too bad about the lack of retail. That could have been nice...

Posted on: 2007/8/1 14:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/14 0:40
Group:
Registered Users
Well, here it is about a month later and they constructed about half of the first floor exterior wall today. It looks like there definitely won't be retail in this building along Brunswick Street. Also, it will definitely have a parking garage on the first floor, and if the whole first floor is a garage, it is definitely large enough for twelve cars. I disagree with you about the lot size though, ianmac - looks to me like they can probably fit four units per floor. That would mean four stories. We shall see though...if they continue working at the pace they worked today, the whole structure should be completed by the end of August at the latest!

Posted on: 2007/8/1 3:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Its a small lot though. I would think 2 units per floor at most.

Posted on: 2007/7/3 15:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Oh well. Sounds like it will be in the range of 4-5 stories then (perhaps retail, lobby, & parking garage entrance on the first floor, and 3 additional floors of 4 units or 4 additional floors of 3 units).

In other news, it appears that the excavation phase has begun at 380 Newark Ave. I noticed that this monster building will border someone's (tiny) grassy backyard. Imagine having a 12-story building rising practically in your backyard? Totally whacked. (but I'm guessing that the people who live there have no idea what's going up next to them anyway).

Posted on: 2007/7/3 13:46

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/1/19 21:19
Group:
Registered Users
According to the dudes running the annoying pile-driver (which swings into action around 8 a.m every freaking morning), the building will not be 12 stories. It will have 12 condos and underground parking -- that's why they have to pile-drive.

Posted on: 2007/7/2 21:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
There was a construction fence up around the building this afternoon. I don't know how long its been there, but it could be a sign they are preparing for demolition.

Posted on: 2007/6/29 0:56

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/1/9 18:02
From The Little Italy Section (Back Then)
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:
I can't imagine this area next year -- what changes -- and all at once!

Quote:

Metro wrote:
On another project in the area...

... a luxury mid-rise condominium at the intersection of Merceles and 2nd, features 54 condominiums....

Also the main Home Laundry building around Merseles, 2nd to 3rd St. is also slated to become phase two of that condo. I hear anywhere from 1 to 3 years away. It's hard to believe so much change is going on around the area in such a short time.

Posted on: 2007/6/28 22:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Yes - I know exactly what you're talking about. That building was severely damaged in a fire about a year ago, but they completely fixed it up. It does look really nice - I wouldn't mind seeing a new restaurant there.

That empty lot at the corner of 7th & Division is supposedly owned by the guy who owns World Boxing & Fitness, who also supposedly owns the four-story building at the same intersection.

Posted on: 2007/6/28 13:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
There is also a lot on 7th Street that has been cleared that will likely soon have some new construction. I've also noticed that many of the lots between 2nd and 7th west of Monmouth have been renovated over the last six months or so.

Also on 7th is a new / newly renovated building with 3 sets of double doors across the front-- it looks like a store front or restaurant facade. Anyone know what I'm talking / know what's going to be going in there?

Posted on: 2007/6/28 13:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
This area is going to look so awesome in a year! I can't wait either! This morning it looked like they were beginning to work inward from the outer border with the pilings at 369 Fifth Street. I figure that they'll be done by tomorrow afternoon with this initial work, and hopefully get started with constructing the forms for the foundation next week.

This area is finally going to come to life once all those people move in - hopefully all those retail outlets that have been vacant for so long along this section of Newark Ave will open with some new stores/restaurants/cafes.

I just hope World Boxing & Fitness doesn't get too overcrowded with new customers since its the only gym in the area - although maybe they can use that parking lot next to them to expand...

Posted on: 2007/6/28 13:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
I can't imagine this area next year -- what changes -- and all at once!

Quote:

Metro wrote:
On another project in the area...

... a luxury mid-rise condominium at the intersection of Merceles and 2nd, features 54 condominiums....

Posted on: 2007/6/28 13:19

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
On another project in the area, the condos slated to be built in the area of 1st and 2nd streets along Merseles is getting underway. All the buildings (part of the Home Laundry) have been vacated and fenced off getting ready to be torn down.

Here is a notice and web link. They just don't know how to spell Merseles St.
-------------------------------
Crescent Court
2nd Street
Jersey City, Hudson County, New Jersey

Crescent Court will debut

in the Summer of 2007!

Matzel & Mumford brings it's award winning experience in luxury midrise development to Jersey City in the spring of 2007.

Crescent Court, a luxury mid-rise condominium at the intersection of Merceles and 2nd, features 54 condominium homes with all of the convenience a downtown Jersey City address has to offer.

The homes will feature from 900 to 1800 square feet of luxury and include upscale finishes, full kitchens with breakfast bar, full appliance package, luxurious master suites, in-home laundry, and more. Parking is provided in the buildings private garage and offers elevator access to the professionally decorated lobby and common hallways. A terrace courtyard at the lobby level offers residents a private retreat.

Prices for these one and two bedroom residences is anticipated to begin in the mid $300's.

Visit our "Request Information" area of this web page to register today and you will be placed on our VIP list for our exclusive VIP grand opening.

http://www.khov.com/Home/NJ/294/_Prop ... e=OurCommunities&State=NJ

Posted on: 2007/6/28 3:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
I assumed that's what happened. Sounds about right.

Posted on: 2007/6/28 3:02

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jcwalkingman wrote:

On that note, does anyone know what's going on across the street with the other 12-story building at 361 Newark? The site was so active up til about winter, but ever since then, it's been dead quiet (they pretty much stopped working there around the time the Planning Board approved the increase in height from 6 to 12 stories). I suspect that they're just waiting for permits, but I could be wrong.

I was told a few weeks ago by a city official that the owner got his clearance for 4 then 6 and then 12 stories after the one across the street got theirs. Then he said he never built anything over 4 stories and has now decided to try and sell the property instead of building himself. Oh boy.

Posted on: 2007/6/28 2:39

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/2/7 1:54
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

NNJR wrote:
The quicker they start, the quicker they can finish....

As with all things, though, there should be balance.

Posted on: 2007/6/27 18:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/12/15 2:25
Group:
Registered Users
The quicker they start, the quicker they can finish....

Posted on: 2007/6/27 12:55

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/9/26 20:59
From 240 Newark Avenue
Group:
Registered Users
The pile driver attaches to the crane - it's laying down at the site and they raise it up earlier and earlier every morning and get to work (yesterday was 8:21am) I live about 100' from it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Kafar_na_Odrze.jpg

As for tearing down the original building, the only thing holding it up was the paint, so there was never really any other option besides levelling it - though to meet all the zoning/permit requirements they'd have done the usual 'leave the skin and gut it, then replace the skin'.

Mark.

Edit: as I was typing this the pile driver started - 8:02! A new record!

Posted on: 2007/6/27 12:03
www.JerseyCityMusic.com
-----------------

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/1/5 17:59
Group:
Registered Users
there's only been a crane at the site since the warehouse went down.. we all can agree that a crane can't act as a piledriver, right?

Posted on: 2007/6/27 8:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I sort of have my doubts about this building being 12 stories, but I think it would be a great addition if so (and I agree that considering the quantity and size of pilings being driven in, as well as other factors such as the view possible at that height, that it is possible that this thing will be 12 stories). However, it sounds more like someone got the actual story mixed up with the story about 361 Newark Ave which was upped from 6 to 12 stories.

Anyway, I did not recieve a letter, but I've only been living here for a little more than a year, so that letter may have been sent long before I moved in.

I'll see what I can find out from the construction workers sometime this week...

Posted on: 2007/6/25 18:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
But did / does this building need a variance? If the existing zoning for the building allowed 12 stories, they wouldn't need a variance. My understanding is that many of the properties that are adjacent to Newark Ave are zoned dense and high. The lot doesn't directly touch Newark, but block section does.

Posted on: 2007/6/25 17:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jcwalkingman wrote:
It certainly does seem like it will be a tall building. The pilings are being doubled up to a depth of 80+ feet (some of the ones in the ground are marked to 43 ft and have connection caps on them; others that haven't been driven in have markings to 87'). I can't imagine they'd be going that deep if they were only going to build 4 stories. The foundation of a 3-story multi-family across the street from this one was poured a little over a year ago, and did not have any pilings pounded into the ground beforehand. Also given that the warehouse they tore down was about 3 stories in height (with its high first floor ceiling), I find it hard to believe they would only be building 3-4 stories (it would probably have made more sense economically to just add onto the warehouse in that case).

I'm thinking about stopping in 30 Montgomery sometime this week to get some info since this building is so close to where I live (plus I'm curious to see what 380 Newark Ave is going to look like).

I think I also might ask Binny what's going on with the plans to replace his store with that 4-story building next time I stop in.

As an owner in the vicinity the city should have sent you a letter for the building of the new high rise concerning variences.

Posted on: 2007/6/25 16:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
There are two other proposed / under construction 12 story residential towers on Newark Avenue a block and a half away from 369 Fifth Street. While I agree that a well rounded urban neighborhood that integrates retail, services, and open space along with residential and commercial office space is critical in creating an integrated urban fabric, its not as though this area lacks available retail spaces. Newark avenue is lined with empty retail space and virtually identical discount stores. All told, the three mini towers-- four if you include the six story Third Street at Newark Avenue project will bring something like 400 to 500 units of housing to the western end of the downtown. This is likely to be somewhere between 750 and 1000 new residents, many of whom will walk down Newark Avenue to the PATH, and all who will be looking to conduct business in the Newark Avenue area. This will mean there will be more people around at all times, which means there is less likely to be random muggings on deserted streets in the middle of the night-- simply because it is less likely the streets will be deserted in the middle of the night. These new residents will also be looking to spend money on basic things like dry cleaning and a cup of coffee. The presence of more people will mean that businesses will open to serve them; existing businesses will change to meet their needs; there will be a greater variety of businesses as specialty retail and services are able to profit through a larger customer pool.

Meanwhile, the streets west of Coles and the few blocks between Columbus and Newark are undergoing huge changes. On First Street west of Newark there are at least a dozen new residential units under construction. Many of the buildings on Second and third streets are currently being renovated. This whole area is being infected with redevelopment fever; older structures are being cleaned and refurbished, empty lots have new foundations. This is good for the neighborhood, and all these people will be looking for services-- which means the intrepid capitalists will create the businesses to serve these new residents. Maybe these people will need daycare. Maybe they will need new places to drink. Maybe they will want a model train shop or maybe a yarn store. Ultimately, the 2 dozen nail salons and discount stores will give way to retail stores that people actually want in their neighborhood.

Posted on: 2007/6/25 15:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/29 4:06
Group:
Banned
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
Makes sense with the size of the pilings, and considering that there are other approved buildings in close proximity that will be 12 stories.

I guess this will lead to an expansion of the JCList definition for "albitalism" ("use of developers to provide the services that governments normally provide"), but, anyhow, in Manhattan, developers have to provide extra public space to get permission to build unusually tall buildings.

In Jersey City, the planners ought to require developers to make space for public restrooms, daycare centers, schools, children's play areas, recreational facilities for elderly people, daycare centers for dogs, dog runs, etc. in exchange for permission to get build higher buildings that the rules normally would allow.

I understand that the developers may already have to provide affordable housing units or contribute to affordable housing unit funds, but the city planners also have to make sure that the developers are putting in the infrastructure needed to support the children, pets, aging parents, etc. that will be moving into the neighborhood along with the yuppie workers.

I don't think this is an example of socialism at work. I think this is an example of city planners trying to help unsophisticated developers put in the kinds of support services that the LeFraks of the world already know they have to include.

Newport is not my kind of place, but it has space for a daycare center and school (Stevens) there. It has a dog care center there, and a gym with a pool, and at least two pocket playgrounds.

Out in brownstoneland, the developers have to provide those amenities potluck style. Developer A provides the daycare space, Developer B provides space for a playground for the P.S. 5 kids, Developer C provides the dog run, etc. But I think the only way that's going to happen is if either the developers get together and form a really great, enlightened developers council, or if the city planners step in and get the developers to do what they should be doing anyway.

Finally: one reason this makes sense is that, obviously, Jersey City has noisy streets and is prone to flooding. If you put support services in the first couple floors of a large condo building, then no one has a noisy low-level unit. If flooding comes along, you just evacuate the daycare center or the doggie daycare, then replace the carpet and furniture when the flood waters go away. You don't end up with stories in the Jersey Journal about people losing their family photographs or heirloom antiques.

Posted on: 2007/6/25 15:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Makes sense with the size of the pilings, and considering that there are other approved buildings in close proximity that will be 12 stories.

Posted on: 2007/6/25 14:22

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017