Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
113 user(s) are online (96 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 113

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 »

Former Gun Store Owner Ordered to Undergo Anger Management Counseling after Shoot-to-Scare Incident
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
I couldn't find the thread but....

Resized Image
CAN'T SELL ANOTHER GUN
Probation, biz ban for shoot-to-scare incident

Saturday, June 06, 2009
By MICHAELANGELO CONTE
JOURNAL STAFF WRITER

A former Jersey City gun store owner who fired a .357 Magnum into the air while apparently being attacked outside a Downtown club two years ago was sentenced yesterday to two years probation and 100 hours of community service.

David Murray, 49, also was ordered to undergo anger management counseling.

"This type of behavior both by Mr. Murray and the public at large must be deterred," Hudson County Assistant Prosecutor Leo Hurley said before Superior Court Judge Fred Theemling sentenced Murray.

"It's particularly troubling when an individual who is entrusted, in a sense, with the sale of guns behaves with a gun in this fashion."

On May 3, 2007, Murray was leaving his Newark Avenue store and found someone double-parked beside his car and refusing to move.

A nearby security camera captured images of Murray appearing to yell something, which turned heads in the crowd outside Jordan's Lounge, then two men getting out of the vehicle and walking to Murray's vehicle.

At least one man can be seen by the camera swinging punches at Murray before Murray fires into the air. The two men then go back to their vehicle and speed away.

Murray filed municipal court charges against Donnell Rawlings - who played "Ashy Larry" on David Chapelle's TV show - and Eddie Powell, but the charges were later dismissed.

In September 2007, Theemling revoked Murray's license to sell firearms and, as a convicted criminal, he will be unable to possess a firearm.

Murray was originally indicted on two counts of unlawful possession of a weapon, two counts of possession of a weapon for an unlawful purpose, aggravated assault and bias intimidation.

But it was learned that when the case against Murray was presented to the grand jury, jurors were told he was not licensed to carry guns. Theemling found that to be incorrect and dismissed three of the weapons charges in June 2008.

Later, prosecutors presented the case to a new grand jury and Murray was reindicted on the three counts Theemling hadn't thrown out.

In the end, Murray, who owned David's Sporting Goods, pleaded guilty to possession of a weapon for an unlawful purpose.

Had he been convicted of the original charges, he would have faced up to 20 years in prison.

Murray, who was represented by Jersey City attorney Peter Willis, said yesterday that he was happy to have the matter behind him. He shook Hurley's hand after the hearing and said he will open a new sporting goods store in Jersey City.

This time he will not sell guns.

Posted on: 2009/6/6 13:15

Re: Gunfire on Newark Ave tonight
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/9/26 20:59
From 240 Newark Avenue
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

nickie wrote:Is this the empty space next door to the lawyers office and tattoo parlor on newark?

I think that's supposed to become a tapas bar... and looks very cool on the inside.... looks like it could be opening fairly soon (barring the usual permit-go-round). The gun store was farther west between the beauty supply place and the Studio 17 hair salon.

Mark.

Posted on: 2008/9/29 17:18
www.JerseyCityMusic.com
-----------------

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/6/10 14:44
From Under the Turnpike
Group:
Registered Users
I can't remember how far west the gun store was. Is this the empty space next door to the lawyers office and tattoo parlor on newark? it appears it's being worked on...

Posted on: 2008/9/29 14:37

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/9/26 20:59
From 240 Newark Avenue
Group:
Registered Users
He came around a few weeks ago and said he was closing and was selling off his fixtures. I'd never spoken to him before, so I have no personal feelings for or against him, but I always feel a little bad when a local business closes.

Mark.
(fingers crossed for a nail salon or barbershop in the vacant space)

Posted on: 2008/9/29 1:25
www.JerseyCityMusic.com
-----------------

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/1/27 22:17
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Dave's gone huh?

I've always thought that he was the problem, not the gun store itself. Caso's on Danforth ave been there for decades, never had any issues.

Posted on: 2008/9/29 1:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Resized Image

I saw this sign in what was the gun store window today!

The place was empty except for a sign which read "Jesus is My Lord and Savior" -- but that sign looked like it needed a sharp scraper to get it off.

Posted on: 2008/9/29 0:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/3/27 15:08
Group:
Banned
Quote:

wibbit wrote:
Quote:

DragonXJC wrote:
I think Jersey City needs gun stores. Because criminals don't buy guns at gun stores. They don't have permits, they have "connects". The criminals are armed.......and the civilians are not?

not this again. You are right, criminals do not buy their guns legally from the gun stores, they buy it from the black market. But where do you think those guns that are circulating on the black market came from?

If retail sales and home ownership of firearms are banned, that means weapons will be tightly controlled and much more difficult to obtain on the black market over time. Because the price to buy them will be much higher. This means some 15 year old kid wont just be able to lay down 200 bucks and buy a semi auto to wave around. Simple supply and demand at work.

This has been proven time and time again, just look at any country that has a strict gun country law, and see how many gun related crimes they have ratio wise to their population compared to the US.

The problem is the pro side is not willing to look ahead and give up their gun ownership for a safer country 5-10 years down the road.

Easy as all that huh?

You're conveniently leaving out the part where enough political will is generated in Congress and the States to repeal an Amendment to our Constitution found in the Bill of Rights. Because that would be necessary to override the present (and sticking around for a while) makeup of the Supreme Court, which is not going to permit the 2nd Amendment to be interpreted in the way you're suggesting.

So "the problem" isn't as simple, or as one-sided, as you pretend it is.

Posted on: 2008/5/11 19:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/26 3:33
Group:
Banned
Quote:

DragonXJC wrote:
I think Jersey City needs gun stores. Because criminals don't buy guns at gun stores. They don't have permits, they have "connects". The criminals are armed.......and the civilians are not?

not this again. You are right, criminals do not buy their guns legally from the gun stores, they buy it from the black market. But where do you think those guns that are circulating on the black market came from?

If retail sales and home ownership of firearms are banned, that means weapons will be tightly controlled and much more difficult to obtain on the black market over time. Because the price to buy them will be much higher. This means some 15 year old kid wont just be able to lay down 200 bucks and buy a semi auto to wave around. Simple supply and demand at work.

This has been proven time and time again, just look at any country that has a strict gun country law, and see how many gun related crimes they have ratio wise to their population compared to the US.

The problem is the pro side is not willing to look ahead and give up their gun ownership for a safer country 5-10 years down the road.

Posted on: 2008/5/11 4:19

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/12/16 23:23
From Greenville
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2008/5/10 23:36

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/25 0:34
Group:
Registered Users
Yes! Baby! I am so glad that guy finally got in trouble!
He is psycho.
I got into a verbal scratch with him myself one day because I told him we have enough problems in JC with firearms. We do not need our children walking past that store being exposed to what he sells. NO NEED FOR IT. move to Texas or somewhere else!

Posted on: 2008/5/10 20:30

Re: SHOT DOWN -- Gun store owner's license revoked; he vows appeal
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/3/18 15:05
From John Wilkes Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:

Theemling said the problems with Murray's records included failure to record the names of some bullet buyers.

Posted on: 2007/9/15 19:22

Re: SHOT DOWN -- Gun store owner's license revoked; he vows appeal
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/10/15 11:49
Group:
Registered Users
Oh lord, the Supreme Court? This guy is severely delusional. Maybe someone ought to point out to him that there's no constitutional right to *sell* arms.

Posted on: 2007/9/15 15:35

SHOT DOWN -- Gun store owner's license revoked; he vows appeal
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
SHOT DOWN
Gun store owner's license revoked; he vows appeal

Saturday, September 15, 2007
By MICHAELANGELO CONTE
JOURNAL STAFF WRITER

A Jersey City gun shop owner's license to sell firearms was revoked yesterday by a judge who cited security concerns at the store, shoddy record keeping, and an incident in which the owner fired into the air while being assaulted.

The motion to revoke the firearms retail license of David Murray, owner of David's Sporting Goods on Second Street near Newark Avenue, was brought by the Hudson County Prosecutor's Office.

Superior Court Judge Fred Theemling cited the June 10 incident in which two thieves entered Murray's store and while one of them distracted Murray, the other reached into an unlocked gun case.

Murray told the man to stop but Theemling said he should have locked the case. When the man reached again he took a handgun and the pair got away, police reports said. Theemling said the store is a threat to the safety of the community.

"I'm fighting this to the Supreme Court," said Murray. "No one is closing my store."

During the case Donald Mundorf of the New Jersey State Police Firearm Investigation Unit testified that he inspected the store security and records after the theft and found no reason to revoke the license.

Theemling said the problems with Murray's records included failure to record the names of some bullet buyers.

The judge also cited a May 3 incident in which someone double-parked beside Murray's car and refused to move. Murray got into a confrontation and fired his licensed .357 Magnum into the air. Murray was arrested but the man who was clearly seen on videotape swinging at Murray's head faces no charges.

Posted on: 2007/9/15 14:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/23 17:09
Group:
Registered Users
And this is why we shouldn't allow people to own pitbulls!

am i right or am i right?

Posted on: 2007/9/14 22:35
soshin: Mention guns and bd pops up through a hole in the ground like a heavily armed meercat

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/24 10:08
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
5/04/07
Dwntownguy wrote:

I just got the call

Oh boy

Well guys , before you here it from Grove Street you will hear it from me.

The gunfire that we all heard last night came from Dave?s Gun Store.

I do not think you will have to worry about Dave selling any more guns in Jersey City anymore!!!!

Read all about t it tomorrow.

Sorry Grove Street.!!!!

A little bird told me he is making wild accusations.

Let?s see what the Jersey Journal has tomorrow

Dave, instead of shooting in the air in JC you should join us at the Bayonne Range.

No Permit and Racist??

To bad , stay home then we are a mulit-racial group and have permits

DTG

PS Poor Dave ,he needs help with all that anger !!!!

Posted on: 2007/9/14 21:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/10/15 11:49
Group:
Registered Users
With Jesus Christ, anything is possible.

Posted on: 2007/9/14 21:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/10/20 16:18
Group:
Registered Users
Jersey City gun dealer loses license
by Michaelangelo Conte Friday September 14, 2007, 2:43 PM
Downtown Jersey City gun dealer David Murray has been stripped of his license to sell weaponry.

Superior Court Judge Fred Theemling ruled this afternoon that Murray, owner of David's Sporting Goods on Second Street near Newark Avenue, didn't take proper precautions to secure his guns when on June 10 a thief swiped a handgun from a display case. Therefore, the judge said, Murray shouldn't be allowed to stay in business in Jersey City.

Theemling also found Murray's record-keeping to be lax.

Murray vowed to appeal.

The Hudson County Prosecutor's Office pursued the case on the grounds that in light of the theft, Murray's business represented a threat to the safety of the community.

Read the full story in tomorrow's Jersey Journal.

Posted on: 2007/9/14 21:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Target gun seller's license, but trooper backs him up

Wednesday, August 22, 2007

By MICHAELANGELO CONTE

JOURNAL STAFF WRITER

Prosecutors are seeking to revoke the retail gun license of a Jersey City gun merchant, but a state trooper testified yesterday that he found no violations at the gun shop and has made no recommendation that the license be revoked.

"He met all his requirements," said Detective Donald Mundorf of the New Jersey State Police Firearm Investigation Unit, of David Murray, who owns David's Sporting Goods on Second Street near Newark Avenue.

Hudson County Assistant Prosecutor Barbara Turso argued that the theft of a handgun from the shop in June showed that Murray's continued operation was a threat to the safety of the community.

"This is based on the needs of this community, where there are far too many firearms," Turso told Superior Court Judge Fred Theemling.

The state trooper confirmed, however, that Murray now operates his business with every gun locked in a steel safe in the back room. The only thing in his glass display cases are photographs of the various gun models for sale.

"Now my gun store is the safest gun store in the country," said Murray on the stand. "If a criminal came into my store, he would grab a photo of a gun."

On June 10, two thieves entered Murray's store and one of them reached behind an unlocked display case and took a handgun while the other distracted Murray with the pretense of making a large purchase of paintball equipment.

Murray said the case was unlocked because he had been stocking it and Mundorf said it was not inappropriate for it to be unlocked because Murray was right there.

A few days later, the thief dropped the gun off to police but was not caught.

"The guy called me in tears saying I'm so scared, I want to turn the gun in," Murray testified. "I got that gun off the streets, not the police. I was concerned about someone using it on a citizen."

Murray's gun-carrying permit was revoked and his personal guns confiscated following his arrest on May 3, when he fired his .357 Magnum into the air across Newark Avenue from his store. That incident was captured on a security video showing a man punching Murray before he fires.

The state trooper said the store's security system was also appropriate and that Murray implemented any suggestions he made.

Theemling said he would give his decision on Murray's retail license at a hearing scheduled for Sept. 14.

? 2007 The Jersey Journal
? 2007 NJ.com All Rights Reserved.

Posted on: 2007/8/22 20:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
AlexC

The James J. Shea Memorial Range in Bayonne is operated by the Bayonne Police PBA Local #7 and is open to civilians legally permitted to own firearms in NJ.(THEY WILL CHECK)The range has many JC shooters, a pistol league and you can receive pistol instruction from one of the trainers there.(15 minutes)

16th Street (between A and the Bay)
Bayonne, NJ
201 339 5555

Ray?s Sport Shop on 22West in Plainfield has one but it is very expensive and the ventilation is quite poor.(40 minutes)

The Bullet Hole in Belleville NJ is ok .(60 minutes)

Hope it helps.

DTG

[quote]
AlexC wrote.

btw - besides the Bayonne range, anyone has any experience with a lshooting range close to JC?

[quote]

Posted on: 2007/7/5 14:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Resized Image

"I've had it with turning the other cheek. Dave showed me the way. It's payback time Judas!!"

How dare you make fun of my Messiah!!!!

Jesus Christ always preached peace.

Now I will be forced to make a video of your beheading!!!!

Ohm!! ?????

Sorry wrong religion, you can continue to make fun of Jesus Christ!!!!

DTG

Posted on: 2007/7/4 15:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/1 9:09
From Southern JC
Group:
Registered Users
Resized ImageResized Image

Posted on: 2007/7/4 9:23

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/6/23 4:56
From Take a wild guess
Group:
Registered Users
OK, so I passed by the gun store today to see what wacky old Dave was up to. I believe it was open. Not only that, but it seems Dave has found religion. In large friendly letters on his window was "With God all things is possible". Has Dave given up his gun slingin' ways to be a bible thumpin' preacher? Or is he now a self-styled avenging wrath of God, looking to cleanse the streets of Downtown JC from evildoers, hooligans & wayward souls who are foolish enough to double park in front of his establishment?

Resized Image

"I've had it with turning the other cheek. Dave showed me the way. It's payback time Judas!!"

Posted on: 2007/7/4 7:22
Sola lingua bona est lingua mortua.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
You don't need Dave's Sporting Goods, just look in your basement/closet/kitchen:

- The Snow Shovel
- your car steering wheel Club
- meat cleaver
- Air Freshener + cigarette lighter
- various gardening tools

Posted on: 2007/6/28 14:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
But how ever will all the downtowners be able to arm themselves against the violent muggers if its closed?

Posted on: 2007/6/28 13:06

Law enforcement officials want to take away his license to sell firearms
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Stolen gun off street seller it was taken from faces challenge

Friday, June 15, 2007
By MICHAELANGELO CONTE
JOURNAL STAFF WRITER

A handgun stolen from a Downtown Jersey City gun shop has been recovered, but now the gun shop owner is looking down the barrel of a new problem - law enforcement officials want to take away his license to sell firearms, officials said.

David Murray, the owner of David's Sporting Goods and Self-Defense on Second Street, was relieved the $575 Walther .380 PPK-S - made famous as James "007" Bond's weapon of choice - was in the hands of police.

"It's a great thing for the city," Murray said. "The gun won't be used in any crimes and none of our children will be hurt."

But Hudson County Prosecutor Edward DeFazio said yesterday that the theft has prompted his office to go after Murray's license, alleging his guns are not properly secured.

Murray's attorney, Evan Mappa, said security measures in the store are approved by the New Jersey State Police.

"Because someone is somehow able to get around his security doesn't mean his license can be revoked," Mappa said.

Images of the two thieves captured by a security camera ran in The Jersey Journal Tuesday, and by that night the gun was recovered. Murray said Tuesday night he got a call from a man saying "I'm turning over the gun." Murray said the man called the police and told them where they could find the gun. Yesterday, police confirmed the gun's recovery on Tuesday.

The thieves who took the pistol conned Murray, with one of them distracting him while the other reached into an unlocked case and took the gun, the video shows.

Murray's gun-carrying permit was revoked and his personal guns confiscated after a court appearance earlier this month. On May 3, Murray fired his .357 Magnum into the air across Newark Avenue from his store.

"I'm a good man who was just trying to go home to my family that night and I was attacked," Murray said of the May 3 incident. "I am an innocent man who was robbed in my own store. DeFazio is wrong and he is charging me illegally."

The prosecutor said he couldn't say if a gun would have deterred the thieves because he didn't know their frame of mind.

Posted on: 2007/6/15 11:18

Re: How did this one get by GrovePath's morning news roundup?
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2007/11/30 18:54
Group:
Banned
Thats it. I'm picketing his shop.

Posted on: 2007/6/14 18:38

Re: How did this one get by GrovePath's morning news roundup?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
OMFG

He "hopes":

Murray said he hoped the prints and video would lead to the pair?s arrest and ?they wont be able to steal, rape and commit more crimes.?
________

Thanks to YOU, Sh*t For Brains motherfcuker, there's another criminal out there with a GUN !!!

Idiot. Loser.

If you had any kind of decency left (long shot), shut your store and leave town and go to Iraq, maybe you'll find good company there.

Seriously, how do we shut this guy down?

Posted on: 2007/6/14 18:09

Re: Village Idiot Gun Shop announces special sale
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/2/28 15:23
Group:
Banned
Two quotes from the JJ:

"He said the pair looked familiar and may have been in the store recently to case it"

AND

"Murray said the gun case was unlocked because he was making new labels for the guns"

Sooooo....they cased the joint earlier when the gun case was locked, but figured a simple "buy-a-paintball-gun" scam would work? Meh. Or more likely the gun case was unlocked the first time they cased the joint.

Posted on: 2007/6/13 3:41

Re: Village Idiot Gun Shop announces special sale
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/11 21:09
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Ross_Ewage wrote:
Chalk up another one for a "responsible" gun owner.

Now we have another illegal gun on the streets because of our legal gun shop. We need to find a way to shut this guy down. He's a nut. His last episode is barely out of the papers -- the one where he could have gone around a double-parked car, but instead chose to shoot his gun into the air -- and now we get this.

This crime happened because he left a gun case unlocked. That's criminal stupidity. How do we petition to get his gun dealer's license revoked?

Posted on: 2007/6/13 2:31

Re: Gun shop owner: Thief used distract-and-grab scam
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2007/11/30 18:54
Group:
Banned
Please!! Can we kick this irresponsible freak and his shop out of our neighborhood! This is crazy! There is enogh illigal shooting around here, now we have this guy to worry about. What will happen when one of these stray bullets hits someone?!

Posted on: 2007/6/12 14:48

(1) 2 3 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017