Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
110 user(s) are online (95 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 110

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 30 31 32 (33) 34 35 36 ... 45 »

Re: Hamilton Park Renovation
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Mayor Healy was in and around Hamilton Park today seemingly shooting photos for his campaign material. One of the neighborhood women asked him about the HP renovations and his reply was " I don't know anything about that". Be Proud Jersey City.

Posted on: 2009/3/20 20:33

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/5/5 18:35
Group:
Registered Users
I missed the meeting last night, did they mention a start date or timetable for the renovation???

Posted on: 2008/9/4 12:20

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/11/10 5:50
Group:
Registered Users
The bid was awarded a couple weeks ago to the developers of Hamilton Square. Come to tonight's HPNA meeting to get a sneak peek of the final plans. A huge groundbreaking ceremony is in the works for neighbors, contractors, city officials. I don't know of a set start date yet, but we can ask tonight. We may schedule a special community meeting (or dedicated HPNA meeting) to discuss all details related to the renovation like construction schedule, updating neighbors, etc. But if you can come tonight, you'll be as informed as anyone.

Hamilton Park Neighborhood Assoc Mtg
Wed, 9/3, 7:45pm
1 McWilliams Place (old st. francis nursing school)
2nd floor small auditorium

Hope that helps!

Posted on: 2008/9/3 18:16

Hamilton Park Renovation

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/9/18 17:27
Group:
Registered Users
Any update?

It seems like sewer lines are being fixed, and a few times W Hamilton was blocked by traffic police (had to go further west to go around the park)... but I don't see any action on the park itself.

Hopefully it is just delayed... like the Hamilton Square construction that was supposedly to complete in the fall.

Posted on: 2008/9/3 15:20

Re: Hamilton Park Renovation - Results
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/26 20:09
Group:
Banned
The renovation project is going out to bid in the next few weeks, and it's expected that work will start in the spring.

Posted on: 2008/2/6 21:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Where is our new park??????????

Posted on: 2008/2/6 21:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/2/28 15:23
Group:
Banned
Quote:

RABBITRABBIT wrote:
Quote:

piglet wrote:
Hey, I forgot who said that the VV dog run doesn't stink. It does! I went by there the other day, when it was hot and humid and it smelled horribly....like urine and poop. I don't know what you people were talking about?

it was I who first mentioned the stink and all these do-gooders told me that i was crazy and that I should be nicer. we;;, being nice doesn't diminish that the park smells like a litter box on a hot day. Thnaks fior the vote of confidence. (Hear that parkie? The absorbant Turkish gravel FAILED!)

ppl with their heads up their butts smell nothing else.

Posted on: 2007/6/12 4:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/12/10 15:54
Group:
Banned
Quote:

piglet wrote:
Hey, I forgot who said that the VV dog run doesn't stink. It does! I went by there the other day, when it was hot and humid and it smelled horribly....like urine and poop. I don't know what you people were talking about?

it was I who first mentioned the stink and all these do-gooders told me that i was crazy and that I should be nicer. we;;, being nice doesn't diminish that the park smells like a litter box on a hot day. Thnaks fior the vote of confidence. (Hear that parkie? The absorbant Turkish gravel FAILED!)

Posted on: 2007/6/12 4:13

Re: Hamilton Park Renovation - Meeting Dates
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

G_Elkind wrote:
4bailey:

A personal observation and a most-important correction:

Personal Observation:
The vote was what it was based on the choices provided.

I can't say the choices presented in this referendum were the perfect choices or even the best choices, however, these were the choices the city asked us to vote on based upon the recommendations of the professionals they hired for this purpose. (I often find myself saying something similar in many respects regarding the choices we face when voting in any of our municipal, state or federal elections.)

To speculate that the outcome was merely a "mommie" vote generated out of some unspecified "fear" or "security" concern sounds more like "blame" than it does sour grapes. Personally, I find this type of analysis to be more divisive than you may have found the choices themselves.

I could easily speculate alternative rationals for why the vote turned out the way it did that have nothing to do with a mommie vote or the dog run design. But such speculation does little to help move the conversation forward in a positive manner.

As has been mentioned here before, a final detailed plan will have to produced by the city architects.

There will be plenty of opportunity for additional input on specific design elements details to achieve an acceptable outcome for everyone. So rather than look backwards, I would hope you would look forward and participate actively in this important, next stage of developing the final park plan.

A Correction
As to the choices, the target of your criticism is misdirected.

The HPNA did NOT design the choices appearing on the ballot. Those choices presented by the city were those provided by the architects they hired - Schoor DePalma.

Quote:

Final Ballot Notes
This ballot is intended to gather the community?s views on the four concept plans presented by Schoor DePalma to the City of Jersey City. Please keep in mind that these four designs are concept plans, intended to address amenity inclusion and general location only. Details such as the size and shape of any amenity are flexible and are subject to revision after the ballot when the final construction plans are drawn.

http://hamiltonpark.org/ballot4/june9ballot.html

Rather than assigning blame, it's time for everyone to come together constructively and help finalize a park plan that works for everyone. I see that process happening as we speak and I am not discouraged by the outcome of the vote.

All the best.

Geoff

I've been very vocal in support of the dog run as people on this thread know. Let's not wheel out the flawed vote argument again. I think every person on this thread understands what the vote represented. From what i understand from Councellor Fulop's remarks, dog owners can still influence the final deslgns. Let's be constructive and work with that.

Worst case - if the city decides to force a dog-park in size and location that no dog owners want....well...we simply post signs on it and boycott it. Thats not going to happen if we work together for improvements to the design voted on.

Posted on: 2007/6/12 4:09

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/10/29 16:00
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
4bailey:

A personal observation and a most-important correction:

Personal Observation:
The vote was what it was based on the choices provided.

I can't say the choices presented in this referendum were the perfect choices or even the best choices, however, these were the choices the city asked us to vote on based upon the recommendations of the professionals they hired for this purpose. (I often find myself saying something similar in many respects regarding the choices we face when voting in any of our municipal, state or federal elections.)

To speculate that the outcome was merely a "mommie" vote generated out of some unspecified "fear" or "security" concern sounds more like "blame" than it does sour grapes. Personally, I find this type of analysis to be more divisive than you may have found the choices themselves.

I could easily speculate alternative rationals for why the vote turned out the way it did that have nothing to do with a mommie vote or the dog run design. But such speculation does little to help move the conversation forward in a positive manner.

As has been mentioned here before, a final detailed plan will have to produced by the city architects.

There will be plenty of opportunity for additional input on specific design elements details to achieve an acceptable outcome for everyone. So rather than look backwards, I would hope you would look forward and participate actively in this important, next stage of developing the final park plan.

A Correction
As to the choices, the target of your criticism is misdirected.

The HPNA did NOT design the choices appearing on the ballot. Those choices presented by the city were those provided by the architects they hired - Schoor DePalma.

Quote:

Final Ballot Notes
This ballot is intended to gather the community?s views on the four concept plans presented by Schoor DePalma to the City of Jersey City. Please keep in mind that these four designs are concept plans, intended to address amenity inclusion and general location only. Details such as the size and shape of any amenity are flexible and are subject to revision after the ballot when the final construction plans are drawn.

Rather than assigning blame, it's time for everyone to come together constructively and help finalize a park plan that works for everyone. I see that process happening as we speak and I am not discouraged by the outcome of the vote.

All the best.

Geoff

Posted on: 2007/6/11 22:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/2 19:00
From Jersey Cxxx
Group:
Registered Users
I'm not in the least bit surprised that plan "D" won.

Plan "D" has a much wider buffer zone to the new apts/condo -vs- plan "B". I wonder how many people on 9th and W. Hamilton Place (closer to 9th) would have purchased "the facing the park units" if there was a dog run at West Hamilton Place and 9th?
If I still lived @ 264-286th 9th, I too would?ve voted down the run so close to the building. 9th is a very narrow street and there are 80 units in that building alone, add on the 30 something units between the two buildings along West Hamilton Place and that's a huge number of votes.

IMO the best choice for the dog run was in plan "D".

I would've gone bonkers living on the 1st floor listening to barking 24/7 and I'm currently a dog owner. I had both an Akita and a Chow (same time) so I don't want to hear I'm anti-dog!

Posted on: 2007/6/11 22:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/9/9 13:46
From Intersection of Venerated @ Ensconced
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Farfromit wrote:
If you don't vote "B" you're letting the terrorists win...

If want to duel jibes based on current events?... Get your ?sides? right.

Let?s see? An election determined by soft security concerns of the ?mommie vote?? Hmm? doesn?t that sound eerily familiar?? Effective strategy ? worked like gangbusters for the G.O.P in ?04 Presidental race - worked here. Although this is just at the ?neighborhood? scale, I wouldn?t be surprised if the outcome of this vote is ultimately regretted too.

Giving credit where due, I?d give HPNA a B+ for organizing the festival/vote day. My only minor complaint is that having the polling desk so close to the music made it difficult to hear.

However, when it comes to the ballot, the HPNA gets an F.

Whether it was intentional or not, the end result of this flawed ballot is: further division in community relations, ?scare tactics?, splitting the vote (9-vote difference), and a forced referendum on the dog-run without equally considering other features.

I know it would be very easy to dismiss this post as ?sour-grapes?, but let me ask you this. Hypothetically, suppose there were no dog-runs in any of the concepts, but the only feature that was any different was the basket court. Concepts A, B, and C all had full-court basketball. Concept D had half-court basketball.

Do you really think you?d be playing anything other than half-court basketball??...

Posted on: 2007/6/11 20:28
"Dogs are our link to paradise." - Milan Kundera

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

piglet wrote:

Piglet - if you really mean to present a case - can you provide some facts. Then also provide some possible solutions to what you perceive to be the issue. Constantly stating that you can smell pee and poop is fairly meaningless. Heck I puke when i smell diapers. Ban the diapers in the park?

Posted on: 2007/6/11 5:16

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/10/1 13:15
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2007/6/10 19:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Only one suggestion, grow a huge / tall hedge around the dog run - Dogs won't be distracted by 'ball play' (or stray ball) and small children on the other side of the fence. It will be less intimidating for humans who have to walk past the dog run without feeling fearful and gives dogs the privacy to do their poop and pee from preying eyes.

Posted on: 2007/6/10 19:20
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/17 12:06
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
In a effort to hear as many dog owners requests/suggestions and hopes for the future runs the H P Dog Run Committee is asking that all of the above dog related messages be posted on DOGJC--since this discussion is now strictly dog run related and many of our members do not frequent JClist--you will be heard much better and get more feedback on the dog group--please post there if you are a dog owner: http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/DOGJC/
thank you
take care
Mary Ann

Posted on: 2007/6/10 13:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/12/12 21:42
From on van vorst park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

nugnfutz wrote:
Quote:

Annod wrote:
How does the number of voters here compare to the number of voters in the primary in Hamilton Park?

Compared to previous ballots on the park...this turnout is huge - 2.5 to 3 times previous ballots as far as I can tell. It shows the strength of support for renovation. This is a huge success for Hamilton Park. Thanks to everyone: the organizers...the community...and the people that came out and voted.

The overriding issue for the community is keeping a single contiguous childrens play area. No surprise there. This was the top of the list on previous votes. To me, everything about Concept D, except for the dog runs, was better than the other designs. Concept D incorporated all the feedback from the community over a period of 6 months and got 51% of the vote. To me this says we're getting closer, but half the park users want something better. Do we move forward and disenfranchise the other 49%? I think we as a community can do better. My comments below address the dog run issues. I'm sure there are other improvements we can recommend.

Parkman - my thoughts on any ad-hoc dog-run respresentation:

- Square footage is a high priority for the dog run to prevent stressed out dogs, stressed out owners and risk to kids and other park users.
- entrances to dog-run and kids areas should be segregated as far apart as possible.
- noise cancelling measures (bushes, fences, etc) for the dog park should not endanger dog owners - in winter months dog owners are the only real park users.
- adequate shade and water is needed for the dogs and seating for the owners.
- i fully support the VVP set of byelaws on dog-run usage
- i'd like to see a NO DOG TOYS rule. A lot of features inside the run could help make toys unnecessary - landscaping, water play areas, cooling mist spays, hoses, obstacles for running around....

We've voted....let's back the vote, and make this the best park it can be for all park users.
Despite being a very emotional vote, IMO, this is a well-put response, with a rational perspective, and has relevant issues for the dog run.

Thanks

Posted on: 2007/6/10 13:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Annod wrote:
How does the number of voters here compare to the number of voters in the primary in Hamilton Park?

Compared to previous ballots on the park...this turnout is huge - 2.5 to 3 times previous ballots as far as I can tell. It shows the strength of support for renovation. This is a huge success for Hamilton Park. Thanks to everyone: the organizers...the community...and the people that came out and voted.

The overriding issue for the community is keeping a single contiguous childrens play area. No surprise there. This was the top of the list on previous votes. To me, everything about Concept D, except for the dog runs, was better than the other designs. Concept D incorporated all the feedback from the community over a period of 6 months and got 51% of the vote. To me this says we're getting closer, but half the park users want something better. Do we move forward and disenfranchise the other 49%? I think we as a community can do better. My comments below address the dog run issues. I'm sure there are other improvements we can recommend.

Parkman - my thoughts on any ad-hoc dog-run respresentation:

- Square footage is a high priority for the dog run to prevent stressed out dogs, stressed out owners and risk to kids and other park users.
- entrances to dog-run and kids areas should be segregated as far apart as possible.
- noise cancelling measures (bushes, fences, etc) for the dog park should not endanger dog owners - in winter months dog owners are the only real park users.
- adequate shade and water is needed for the dogs and seating for the owners.
- i fully support the VVP set of byelaws on dog-run usage
- i'd like to see a NO DOG TOYS rule. A lot of features inside the run could help make toys unnecessary - landscaping, water play areas, cooling mist spays, hoses, obstacles for running around....

We've voted....let's back the vote, and make this the best park it can be for all park users.

Posted on: 2007/6/10 8:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/5 14:18
From Exchange Place
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2007/6/10 3:33

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/10/1 13:15
Group:
Registered Users
thank. god.

Posted on: 2007/6/9 23:48

Hamilton Park Renovation - Results
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From on van vorst park
Group:
Registered Users
From the HPNA:

The final vote for the renovation of Hamilton Park was held today during the 22nd Annual June Park Festival - here are the ballot results:

Total Ballots Cast (including absentees): 649

Four Design Options (click to view designs online):

Design A: 96 votes (14.8% of the total)

Design B: 141 votes (21.7% of the total)

Design C: 83 votes (12.8% of the total)

Design D: 329 votes (50.7% of the total)

There were a record number of votes cast! An enormous thank you to everyone who participated and especially to all our volunteers who helped with everything from ballot preparation to table staffing to counting the final tallies this evening. This was truly an effort of the community and an amazing two-year experience.

We hope that the 2008 HPNA June Park Festival will be as fabulous as today, and in a renovated Hamilton Park.

The Ad Hoc Dog Run Committee will meet next week to discuss the options for expanding the two dog run areas in design ?D?. We have already found a number of ways to accomplish this and will present our suggestions to Public Works.

There seems to flexibility, so give us a chance to maximize the space. We will keep you posted as to our progress and what the total square footage will be.

Posted on: 2007/6/9 23:33

AN APPEAL TO ALL DOG OWNERS
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/17 12:06
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
If you were thinking of not bother to vote today-
Please reconsider-

I just got back from voting and because we do not have a dog area in the
park yet where the actual voting is taking place-and there is a children's playground--The flier posted on the
playground entrance takes advantage of folks just happening upon the
park and seeing the flier and are asked to vote for D

I know if I had no idea of what was going on and stumbled on the park
and saw the appeal flier posted at the children's playground--I would
likely vote that way too.

Get to the park before 5 and VOTE B PLEASE

If you are at V V P Dog Run tell other owners to get to Hamilton Park
by 5 and VOTE B

For more info go to
http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/DOGJC/

ALL 4 VAN VORST PARK DOG RUN COMMITTEE MEMBERS SUPPORT PLAN B

MARC WESSON (V V PARKMAN) WRITES:
As a member of the Friends of Van Vorst Park and the AD Hoc Committee
for the
VVP dog run, I would like to endorse design "B" with caveats.

If the dog run is extended into the area where the game tables are
now drawn and
the entrance to the older children's playground is changed from the
center north
spoke to the northeast and center east spokes, I would support "B".

"B", as opposed to "D" does not put the dog run right in the middle
of all the
active areas of the park.

"B" can be expanded south and provide a greater buffer to 9th st. by
moving the
entire run slightly south and still gain more space.

"C" takes away an area for older kids by eliminating a multi-use
tennis court.

"A" is great if you want golf balls to go flying through HP.

"D", besides the previous comment, is very difficult to expand in
order make an
adequate
size dog run.

I feel we have to choose between four flawed designs, however if the
city is
willing to be
flexible, as Steve and Jen have stated, then maybe we can make this
work.
>
> DAVID NORMAN (V V P DOG) WRITES:
> The proposition in plan D is horribly flawed and completely
> unworkable.The proposal is misleading as well, as it seems to
> indicate that the only plan for 2 runs is plan D. That is completely
> false. The vote is to indicate the LOCATION and SIZE for the final
> run AREA. After the vote, the HPNA has asked me and Mary Ann to work
> with them to come up with the actual design, which regardless of
> which of a,b, or c passes WILL include a small breed run.
>
> Please do not vote for D. If D passes, all the dogs lose.
>
>
> AND
>
> After reviewing the various options I have decided to go with B.
>
> I am not enamored with A because I think the putting green is an
> accident waiting to happen.
>
> The dog run design in D is too challenging to pull off.
>
> That leaves B or C. While I personally love the idea of a community
> garden as shown in C, I think that the number of new units coming on
> line in the next two years necessitates having a court in that
> section, so I vote B.
>
> Just my 2 cents....
> - Dave
>
>
> MARY ANN PUCCIA (FAERYX4 & LUNAWOLF3 ON JCLIST) WRITES:
> I do believe that the dogs need to be as far away from small
> and sometimes (sorry) loud & screeching kids as possible. Plan D
does
> not work for me for far more reasons than size issues- I do not want
> our dogs in the center of all that activity. We also need the dogs
as
> far away from the children's water play area as possible. Stick the
> dogs in those tiny activity surrounded & trafficked runs in D and
you
> will have a bunch of very stressed out & barking dogs. I do not want
> the dog runs seeming to be an 'attraction' to the park but rather a
> working feature where dog owners can exercise and play with their
> dogs without too much non dog distractions or harassment. Many talk
> about fears dog have of kids but lets not forget some kids have real
> fears of dogs too. They need to be as far away from each other as
the
> park will allow.
> My only issue with A is the putting greens--safety first for all of
> us no golf balls shooting around ouch I just do not think this is
> the appropriate place for a putting green
>
> I prefer B over C because of the athletic element-
> I realize a multi purpose space is needed instead of 2 for tennis--
as
> a
> parent I know in the city there is a real need for space for older
> children to play say the 13-18 crowd.
>
> I understand some neighbors surrounding the park are pushing hard
for
> plan D because they feel the more centrally located the runs are the
> less noise they will have to endure. On the contrary.... if the dogs
> are situated in such an activity centered spot the greater the
chances
> of them constantly being stimulated and so constantly barking. If I
> lived around the park I would vote for B.
>
>
> MIA SCANGA (MIA_ARIESGRP) WRITES:
>
>
> Mary Ann, thanks for all your efforts on educating us on the HPNA
dog
> run options.... I agree with your choice, B....
>

Posted on: 2007/6/9 16:56

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/6/15 21:34
From here, now
Group:
Registered Users
"And, its all just a little bit of history repeating..."

Ok, maybe we have to act like Adults and share the park grounds.

Van Vorst Park went through the Dog Vs People debate and it got heated. Hamilton Park is gigantic compared to Van Vorst.

Do not make it
a Kid vs Dog debate
cuz you'll stir up People's Hate.

I hate your kidz,
I hate your dawgz,
I hate your noise,
I hate your carz.

I hate you more
than you hate me,
Impossible !
That just can't be!

I hate you more,
Yes, I do
IMPOSSIBLE it can't be true
You can't hate as much
As I hate you!

What do we have in common,
Besides our hate ?
Of kidz, and dawgs, and carz and noize
Maybe rage,

Let's figure it out
Before its too late !!

Ruff, ruff
I WANT MY MOMMMEEEE !!

Posted on: 2007/6/9 16:55

Edited by badgirl on 2007/6/9 17:11:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

G_Elkind wrote:
... I am personally, convinced that things will be just fine, no matter what the final results of the voting will be...

In closing and it bears repeating...

Quote:
Whatever the result, respect the outcome. I also ask that every person and interest group work together to make sure the final design plans work about as best as they can for everyone. There will be much tweaking and community input left to be done after the vote.

I agree with you 100% when it comes to parents. From the get-go, I?ve always known that in the ?tweaking phase? any and all legitimate will be addressed (and probably some others of dubious legitimacy). That?s OK and as it should be. No neighborhood association or politician in their right mind would do otherwise.

When it comes to facilities for dog-owners, Downtown JC has a history of putting us last in line. Remember, Downtown JC is where the bullpens (WTF?!... bullpens?!) in Enos Jones park were in-place years before the dog-run in VVP opened its gate.

Look, it?s a simple, political ?fact-of-life?:

Hypothetically, if you get a rally of 40 irate dog-owners with their dogs on leashes on the steps of City Hall, you get a nod and shrug from politicians and 6 lines buried on page 23 of the Jersey Journal.

Now, say there are 40 irate mothers with their children in strollers on the steps shaking their fists at City Hall. Pols are quaking in their boots and TV camera crews are lined up. It?s just the way it is.

Parents? bottom-line,?
YOU'RE GOING TO GET WHAT YOU WANT regardless of which concept wins. It would be political suicide for any politician or neighborhood association to do anything else. Despite that, if you want still want to base your vote totally on self-interest, Concept D is for you.

For those few who think that fairness and equity to other community interests count for something, Vote Concept B.

Posted on: 2007/6/9 11:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Ahhh!... the eleventh hour...

I think I?ve been pretty tolerant with JC Family Initiative. I?ve let them attempt to pick apart any statement I or anyone else advocating a dog-friendly compromise have made without scrutinizing their party line. Well, with all due respect,? it?s time for a little quid pro quo?

JC Family Initiative is circling the wagons and telling parents:
Quote:

JCLeon wrote:
?This decision was primarily made because this is the only concept that will allow a playground design accommodating play areas for different age children with a single point of access so that parents/caregivers can monitor kids in all of the playgrounds. All three of the alternative concepts would require the playgrounds to be separated across sections of the park an have separate entrances. This makes it very difficult to monitor multiple children across playgrounds.?.

I understand the argument, but please look at the plan for Concept D and you?ll see this statement isn?t exactly true. This is not a ?single point of access?. The spray area is in a totally different segment from the playground!! How do parents in the far NW corner near the Concept D 2-5 year old swing area get to the spray pool quick? Plus, you?ve got the 5-12 year old play structure interfering with your sight-lines.

Back in post #369, I asked Althea-JC-Family-Initiative:

Quote:

4bailey wrote:
?1.) Can the safety concerns of parents only be addressed by putting all child amenities (except the Child?s garden) in one segment?...
2.) Can the same concern be addressed by splitting child amenity areas across two adjacent segments, but having the child areas in both segments as close to the center of the park as possible? ?.

This time look a Concept B. With the safety concerns noted, you make a minor tweak moving the spray pool between the 5-12 year old play structure and the tennis court. The East Spoke and the Center section become an ?observation deck? for seeing what?s going on. If the 5-12 year old play structure impedes sight-lines, swap its position with the 5-12 year old swing structure. Isn?t that a valid compromise??...

Quote:

Lunawolf3 wrote:
?Although I must say I feel this quote was misleading, dishonest and a bit of dirty pool:
L Green said: This is a great opportunity to build a phenomenal family and dog friendly park for our community and your vote and input will make a difference?

I?m going to disagree with lunawolf3, and agree with JCLeon. It is a great ?opportunity?. However, support of Concept D squanders that opportunity, and make relations between parents and dog-owners more strained. To put it simply, Concept D is the 29% Solution. Look, I?m not saying the argument for child safety isn?t valid, just that it?s soft (can?t be qualifiedly or quantified easily). Is that reason enough to tell dog-owners that they?re only worth 29% of area we all voted on?!?... I?ve suggested other alternatives like cutting/changing asphalt court areas or lowering the 50%-50% active: passive ratio in the park, in order to give both parents and dog-owners a full segment. Seems like all I?m getting is lip-service or radio-silence from JC-Family-Initiative with those suggestions.

Quote:

Althea-JC-Family-Initiative wrote:
?Right now we are all fighting for the plan that best fits our own personal needs and the needs of the various groups we are associated with. Now we will vote?

I agree that you?re fighting for the plan the best fits your own personal needs. I disagree; I happen to really believe that Concept B best fits the community?s needs: court enthusiast, parents/children, gardeners, dog-owners - there?s something for everyone based on compromise and fairness.

Posted on: 2007/6/9 5:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/18 1:45
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Sam, I stuck up some of your signs in Hoboken and some in Newport.

Anyone spot my signs as they cross Washington Blvd in front of Pavonia PATH station?

Robin.

Posted on: 2007/6/8 21:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From on van vorst park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

rollergirl wrote:

Absolutely. If concept D wins there will be a committee to make a wish list that the architects will then use to design the kid's quadrant.
It is my understanding that no matter which concept winds up in the majority, this will be the case.

Posted on: 2007/6/8 20:45

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/11/11 18:59
Group:
Registered Users
In response to:

so, just to make sure I understand - plan D is essentially a proposal to have a 'children's quadrant' and the details of divisions/equipment placement are yet to be specified?

Absolutely. If concept D wins there will be a committee to make a wish list that the architects will then use to design the kid's quadrant.

Posted on: 2007/6/8 20:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/24 18:16
From "Pay for Play"
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

4bailey wrote:
Hey BrightMoment -

You've been my sort of unoffical litmus test for this issue.

I'm paraphrasing you here, but I think you once mentioned something along the lines that you were for the Concept that had the best "big table" appeal to the community.

Have you made up your mind?... Is it Concept B or Concept D?...

I have read the entire thread here and at dogjc. I know both Althea and lunawolf personally and I knew they would both work together. I agree utmost with G_Elkind, in that whatever Concept ultimately wins will just be the beginning
of working out the details to accomodate both children and dogs or rather their respective parents and owners, in some cases both.

I will cast my vote with the above in mind

Posted on: 2007/6/8 18:31
Resized Image
Help US Sue Spectra! Join OR Donate!

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Hey BrightMoment -

You've been my sort of unoffical litmus test for this issue.

I'm paraphrasing you here, but I think you once mentioned something along the lines that you were for the Concept that had the best "big table" appeal to the community.

Have you made up your mind?... Is it Concept B or Concept D?...

Posted on: 2007/6/8 17:55

« 1 ... 30 31 32 (33) 34 35 36 ... 45 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017