Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
114 user(s) are online (104 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 114

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: WTF Healy & Fulop...GET THE SIMPLE SH*T RIGHT - SORT OUT OUR SEWERS!

Hide User information
Last Login :
2007/12/24 8:01
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JSQ wrote:
@ cm4cd: you are right to be upset, but the Jersey City Municipal Utilities Authority says that waste water goes to a facility in Newark and then in the Passaic.

According to the JCMUA site, 50 million gallons a day gets pumped to Newark. Seven inches of rain over 14.9 square miles of land works out to around 1.8 billion gallons - where does the rest go?

Posted on: 2007/4/16 16:27

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/8/4 14:09
From Journal Square, duh!
Group:
Registered Users
@ cm4cd: you are right to be upset, but the Jersey City Municipal Utilities Authority says that waste water goes to a facility in Newark and then in the Passaic.

And if your houses value one billion (a surprising value for so less functionality), sell some of them now to those hefty developers, and improve the sewage. Now you will get the right price, the RE agent will be able to say that it is sea shore.

Posted on: 2007/4/16 15:34

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Mr_X wrote:
anytime your home floods its your own damn fault

you chose to live in what used to be a swamp
you chose to live in an old building
you chose not to reinforce your basement
you chose not to plug your drains
you chose not to get sump pumps
you chose not to block or seal your basement windows and doors

and now you have a flood in your basement

don't expect the "government" to protect you.
take care of yourself

I personally dont have a basement, nor a home flood, nor an old building, nor a personal need for seals nor pumps. I have a open sewer outside that is normally a road. I do not build roads, nor sewers, the City does. I agree its my own damn fault if i dont push some of this sh*t back on the people that have the power to do something about it.

Posted on: 2007/4/16 13:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/8/15 13:56
Group:
Banned
Quote:

JSQ wrote:
I don't know too much, but correct me if I am wrong.
I suspect that we are talking about centuries old houses. Some of the downtowners say in some other thread that their buildings crack only due to cars passing by. So probably an improvement would then start complaints about how UW and the city endanger the historical monuments... I meant the houses.
Besides, I understand that the increase from 400 to 2000 will make new home owners subsidize the works for these monuments... Oh, again, I meant "old houses". It doesn't matter that you suspect that the money are going the wrong way, all I understand is that you will be more comfortable with the developers doing the improvements by themselves. This still means that people who will live there only 5 years from now should start paying for new sewers that will protect the monuments.
... And all this comes at the same time with a strong opposition against new high rises (which might spread the spendings on monument protection on more people)... Most of the people down town would love to have their own reservation where nobody can get in (besides them), but would love the entire city and the future inhabitants of the city to pick the bill for their monuments... you know, old houses...
Still, having no right to vote, but duty to be taxed, like many of the immigrants on the western JC, I'll live with this.

JSQ:

Great post, summarizing very well the mindset of many on JClist.

Monuments - ROLFMAO!

But there is another side of this coin, to be fair.

The city is so corrupt that it has become a joke.

I suspect that the roads in Darfur are comparable to JC streets. The developers are getting welcome gifts (abatements) and no-one at City Hall has the balls to twist their arms to force them to contribute to (for example) sewer system improvement, or street improvement.

It's a fine line between giving incentives for developers and getting them to contribute to improving the city's infrastructure.

The City has not been walking that line.

Posted on: 2007/4/16 13:47

Hide User information
Last Login :
2007/4/24 20:19
Group:
Registered Users
anytime your home floods its your own damn fault

you chose to live in what used to be a swamp
you chose to live in an old building
you chose not to reinforce your basement
you chose not to plug your drains
you chose not to get sump pumps
you chose not to block or seal your basement windows and doors

and now you have a flood in your basement

don't expect the "government" to protect you.
take care of yourself

Posted on: 2007/4/16 13:39

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JSQ wrote:
I suspect that we are talking about centuries old houses. Some of the downtowners say in some other thread that their buildings crack only due to cars passing by. So probably an improvement would then start complaints about how UW and the city endanger the historical monuments... I meant the houses.
Besides, I understand that the increase from 400 to 2000 will make new home owners subsidize the works for these monuments... Oh, again, I meant "old houses". It doesn't matter that you suspect that the money are going the wrong way, all I understand is that you will be more comfortable with the developers doing the improvements by themselves. This still means that people who will live there only 5 years from now should start paying for new sewers that will protect the monuments.
... And all this comes at the same time with a strong opposition against new high rises (which might spread the spendings on monument protection on more people)... Most of the people down town would love to have their own reservation where nobody can get in (besides them), but would love the entire city and the future inhabitants of the city to pick the bill for their monuments... you know, old houses...
Still, having no right to vote, but duty to be taxed, like many of the immigrants on the western JC, I'll live with this.

No - it's not about the "monuments" nor lower taxes nor new development, it's about the sewers. If we followed your twisted logic, we'd block the drains coming into downtown from Journal Sq and the heights to stop you dumping on us and telling us to deal with it.

Posted on: 2007/4/16 13:19

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/5/18 18:58
Group:
Registered Users
JSQ:

ROFLMAO

I hope even though you're an immigrant you know what that means. Great post.

Posted on: 2007/4/16 12:13

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
To clarify: I am not against solving the sewers problem. This is something that should be solved, and because we are are quite affluent (we're better than in Darfur, aren't we?), it will surely be solved.
I just can't see how would anybody think tis can be done by keeping low taxes, or keeping people out, or holding 'history' to a stand-still.

Posted on: 2007/4/16 12:13

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2007/4/16 12:05

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2007/9/19 21:47
Group:
Registered Users
A bit of advise that gets posted after every sewer fiasco: get vaccinated for Hepititis A&B if you live in downtown JC. Because we have a combined storm and sanitary system you are being exposed to sh!t when you are exposed to sewer backup.

Maybe the JC t-shirt should be "We got Hipsters and maybe Hepsters"

Posted on: 2007/4/16 11:59

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/5/18 18:58
Group:
Registered Users
I think I can help enlighten some of you folks on this as this is a subject I know something about (based on some litigation work I once did).

The waterfront sewer system (both mains and narrow lines) was all actually built by and as part of the Newport Redevelopment back in the mid-80's. Rather than try and manage the project themselves, the City just placed the burden on the Development Plan/Developer and hoped for the best. In that case it did seem to work as the waterfront never seems to flood in a heavy rain and there is now a modern sewer system down there.

More recently, the City has decided that rather than burden developers in redevelopment areas, it would charge an extremely high sewage hookup charge which is supposed to cover the cost of making improvements to the system in the areas in which building is taking place. The hookup charges add up to approximately $2,000 per apartment unit but prior to Healy were only $400 per apartment unit. So for a 100-unit apartment building, rather than make sewer improvements in the street, the developer now has to write a $200,000 check to United Water (which is the City's designated sewer manager) to make street improvements.

If I were an 'activist' I would want to know:

1) What improvements has the City or its contractor made with all the sewage hookup charges?
2) How did UW get the contract to manage this system and why?
3) Why did they suddenly raise the fees from $400/new-apartment to $2,000/new-apartment just after Healy took office and why, and what does this have to do with UW, and why have they just used the $1,600/apartment to pay themselves rather than improve the sewer system.

I think you know where this is headed.

By the way, new buildings have basically very little to do with the backing up of sewers in older neighborhoods. The mains aren't big enough to handle the rainwater that comes into the street grates. The relatively small amount of extra water from flushing toilets and showers barely contributes to the problem.

Finally, the concept of putting a drain in your basement to solve the problem will not work. If the water backs up, so does the drain. You would need a drain AND a heavy-duty sealed electric Sump Pump to keep the water out.

Posted on: 2007/4/16 11:22

Hide User information
Last Login :
2007/6/12 11:28
From Grove St.
Group:
Registered Users
The source of 1" of water every 5 minutes for 8 hours came from my floor drain. Explain how that happened in my basement apartment, Mr_X.

And I also had the sewage in the tub aside from that, the outside water didn't come through the walls.

Posted on: 2007/4/16 6:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Mr_X wrote:
the lines in the street aren't forcing the water through your (our) walls and floors. the rain settling in front and back "yard" combined with a hundred years of cracks and the lack of any waterproofing is causing the seepage. if you're blaming the sewer, its because the sewer is backing up through the pipes. if you have a floating drain plug, the flow won't reverse.

do you live on montgomery between jersey and barrow? then you have the exact same house as me. yes it sucks, but it's the fault of the building design, not the sewer.

I'm sorry, but you haven't a clue what you're talking about, or are a shill for the sewer authority that tells us lies to absolve themselves of any responsibility. I've posted this before but it bears retelling, like the Passover story.

It goes like this: the sewers overcharge. that's sewerman talk for fill way too high, and they do it because they are seriously undersized for a combined storm and waste system. Because they are 100+ years old and full of cracks and offsets (I've seen this when they video'd my block) the water leaks out and starts to charge the fill, the dirt between the sewer and your house, with water. Then it comes in, whatever way it can whether an unchecked pipe or any opening: the cracks in my basement slab spurt like arteries.

There are no underground rivers here. Its all BS. The flood abates as soon as the sewer drains. Period.

They lie to us and tell us it's an act of nature when it's an environmental crime upon us all. Not only does this poorly managed city have no money to repair it's sewers, they don't even have a plan, even if they got the money. That's how deep the denial is.

And don't buy the "high tide" excuse either. Before their shoddily made levees broke New Orleans was a city below sea level able to pump out the biggest rainstorms because they acknowledged the problem and did what it took, like asking for federal money, to deal with it. JC hasn't even admitted there's a problem with shit in the basements of a billion dollars worth of historic downtown townhouses, not to mention the rest of the city. An added bonus is that all that water swirling around under our houses is undermining our foundations and causing settling that can threaten the very structure.

BTW, I understand all the new riverfront developments have modern separate storm and sewer lines. A tale of 2 cities indeed!

Posted on: 2007/4/16 6:16

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Not that it may do any good...but just reported JC to the EPA. If your swimming in it, add your voice.

http://www.epa.gov/compliance/complaints/index.html

Posted on: 2007/4/16 5:50

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Mr_X wrote:
the lines in the street aren't forcing the water through your (our) walls and floors. the rain settling in front and back "yard" combined with a hundred years of cracks and the lack of any waterproofing is causing the seepage. if you're blaming the sewer, its because the sewer is backing up through the pipes. if you have a floating drain plug, the flow won't reverse.

do you live on montgomery between jersey and barrow? then you have the exact same house as me. yes it sucks, but it's the fault of the building design, not the sewer.

When 9th and Brunswick turn into a river, 10th street is worse with cars FULLY submerged, the water flows up over the sidewalk and into basements, its NOT the plugs, waterproofing or any such bull. The drains simply aint doing their job...just like the council aint doing their job by adding hundreds of apartments, taking their cut, and not improving the basic services.

GIVE US OUR DRAINS NOW! WERE LITERALLY SWIMMING IN SH*T AT THE MOMENT.

Posted on: 2007/4/16 5:10

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2007/4/16 4:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/12/12 21:42
From on van vorst park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Mr_X wrote:
it's your basement's design that's faulty, not the sewer.

If you have floor drains in your basement, installing a floating floor drain plug will keep the floor drain pipe from backing up.

Any basement flooding will cause the float to rise and plug the drain.
You really need to learn not to assume without the facts. My basement has drains with drain plugs; the city?s sewer lines back up into the house. You can stand in the basement and watch as water comes through the walls and through the floor because the lines in the street are forcing it back into the house. The city engineers have told me it?s the age of the lines in the street. And yes, it has not been a fun day.

Posted on: 2007/4/16 4:33

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
it's your basement's design that's faulty, not the sewer.

If you have floor drains in your basement, installing a floating floor drain plug will keep the floor drain pipe from backing up.

Any basement flooding will cause the float to rise and plug the drain.

Posted on: 2007/4/16 4:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/12/12 21:42
From on van vorst park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

cm4cd wrote:
Guys....i dont care if u give developers 20 year pilots and rape me with city property taxes....but can you please PROVIDE THE F**KING BASICS.

Everyone on my block with a basement is now wading in 3ft+ of sewage because you guys cannot get the simple sh*t right.

Tenth street is now a river. And you've approved umpteen additional properties in the area without any consideration to sewage.

Sort this sh*t out NOW PLEASE.
I?ll certainly second your sentiments. Most basements on Montgomery Street between Jersey and Barrow are flooded with at least a foot of sludge. For twenty years now, each time we get a downpour our basements back up. I have no hot water, heat, or washer/dryer,;all systems are under water. So much for a return on an eighteen percent increase in taxes.

Posted on: 2007/4/16 3:49

WTF Healy & Fulop...GET THE SIMPLE SH*T RIGHT - SORT OUT OUR SEWERS!

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Guys....i dont care if u give developers 20 year pilots and rape me with city property taxes....but can you please PROVIDE THE F**KING BASICS.

Everyone on my block with a basement is now wading in 3ft+ of sewage because you guys cannot get the simple sh*t right.

Tenth street is now a river. And you've approved umpteen additional properties in the area without any consideration to sewage.

Sort this sh*t out NOW PLEASE.

Posted on: 2007/4/16 3:32

« 1 (2)

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017