Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
126 user(s) are online (111 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 126

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Do you as a citizen and resident of Jersey City feel represented by your elected officials?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2007/5/11 3:55
Group:
Banned
Quote:
janegeorge wrote: 1. Sorry I've let you down. If I was ashamed of what I did and didn't know, I'd Wikipedia myself death. Of course my spelling sucks too, so I'd have to google "Wikipedia", so as not to embarrass myself that way as well! 2. I am glad that you agree. 3. Thanks very much Binky, for that bit of direction. 4. Frankly, I'm proud to say that I don't think all that well using irratating acronyms (well I know I use them too, REM and RADAR and SOHO and NOHO and WALDO and AIDS and UNICEF). Really it's their cousins that I hate, the NJDOT and HCNA and HPNA and NFL and NBC and GM and FAA and FDA and FCC and AFLCIO and the worst of them all, the WMD. 4. You are correct in thinking that I will never text message. 5. PILOT works, but honestly, I've never made the connection to, payment in lieu of taxes and the abatements. 6. Now I'm gonna have to go hide my head in the sand (or dirt) for 9 days, until I'm clean again.

Posted on: 2007/3/23 3:40

Re: Do you as a citizen and resident of Jersey City feel represented by your elected officials?

Hide User information
Last Login :
2007/3/23 1:19
Group:
Registered Users
1. Sorry I've let you down. If I was ashamed of what I did and didn't know, I'd Wikipedia myself death. Of course my spelling sucks too, so I'd have to google "Wikipedia", so as not to embarrass myself that way as well!
2. I am glad that you agree.
3. Thanks very much Binky, for that bit of direction.
4. Frankly, I'm proud to say that I don't think all that well using irratating acronyms (well I know I use them too, REM and RADAR and SOHO and NOHO and WALDO and AIDS and UNICEF). Really it's their cousins that I hate, the NJDOT and HCNA and HPNA and NFL and NBC and GM and FAA and FDA and FCC and AFLCIO and the worst of them all, the WMD.
4. You are correct in thinking that I will never text message.
5. PILOT works, but honestly, I've never made the connection
to, payment in lieu of taxes and the abatements.
6. Now I'm gonna have to go hide my head in the sand (or dirt) for 9 days, until I'm clean again.

Posted on: 2007/3/23 2:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
If you're cunning as a rat and a spine-less turd that preys on the weak, poor and poorly educated, then yes we are being respresented by some of the finest examples of that in City Hall.
Healy I believe, represents the street peeing drunk dude from my neighborhood!

Posted on: 2007/3/22 23:34
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/29 4:06
Group:
Banned
Quote:
My humor is for the silent majority.
Dump Fulop, let's have 'NON' and 'RR' run for office!

Seriously:

My guess is that Fast Eddie would be a terrific candidate but has some kind of job that would keep him from running for office.

Also, I don't know where everyone lives. The ideal candidates would live somewhere other than Fulop's wards.

Some possibilities (don't know whether they're Fulop constituents):

- Althea

- Mahaley Stewart-Bowles, from the JC Family List

- Ska Dave

- The guy who owns the music store on Brunswick

- One of the women who owns Subia's

- The guy on this site who owns the music store on, I think, Brunswick or Newark (I'm terribly sorry that I'm blanking on the name of the guy and the store.)

- MrGrieves (The guy who owned Melt. Sure, service was a little slow, but it sounds as if MrGrieves learned a lot about how Jersey City works and doesn't work.)

- Sam Pesin, the son of the guy who created Liberty State Park.

Posted on: 2007/3/22 20:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/7/30 1:08
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
You (and most of us) are preaching to the converted and it is not getting us far along....

Right now voter turnout is so poor, "we" are not voting any of them out of office.

I think as part of any neighbor or community effort, voter registration and getting out the vote must go hand and hand.

Whether in seemingly meaningless elections or elections where one is not happy with any of the candidates up for an office, we still need to demonstrate that there are votes that need attending to.

Civic JC will be looking to put together a city-wide voter registration campaign that can then roll into a get out vote at election time.

To start see this link for a pdf - voter-reg-form-2.8.07.pdf

Let us know if you would like to help.

Quote:

janegeorge wrote:

The Mayor and the council think that, we the voters aren't watching. One of the council members actually set up a challenge during his Pay to Play comments, to vote him out, if we unhappy with him! I THINK THAT IS A TERRIFIC SUGGESTION! Many of the council members feel that they can pit one voting ward against another, blaming the lack of progress on issues and projects in their own wards, on the selfish financial behaviors of the "other" wards. That is an explaination and excuse that I am sick of hearing.
We can't trust our city government to make the "GOOD DEAL".
Don't let them get away with this any more. Write letters to the newspapers, call their offices, send emails, talk about our local politics on local and national radio shows, TV stations and websites. It will start to add up, the buzz will get louder and the "Elected" will have no choice but to pay attention.

Posted on: 2007/3/22 19:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
I don't even know who represents my area near the corner of MLK and Communipaw. Not many have computers and we don't even get much junk mail because everyone knows we have no money!

Posted on: 2007/3/22 18:59
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/7/20 16:31
Group:
Registered Users
Based just on gut, I feel that Fulop is
turning out to be decent (in the finest sense) --
but all the others should be (and probably will
be, given time) behind bars.

Posted on: 2007/3/22 16:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2007/5/11 3:55
Group:
Banned
janegeorge, i'm all for "vote the bums out" but it's difficult to take your post in this thread seriously as a credible assessment of the JC political landscape when less than 4 hours ago, you had to ask for an explanation of what a PILOT is. (See here)

Posted on: 2007/3/22 16:08

Hide User information
Last Login :
2007/3/23 1:19
Group:
Registered Users
Consider this: Our city government accepted 3 checks, totaling $1 million dollars, as settlement to the arts community for the loss of 111 First Street. Now, that is shameful.
Do you feel that you can trust Mayor Healy and the Jersey City, City Council to make a good deal for it's residents? I think that they are going out of their way to make deals that are BAD for the public and good for their pockets and or campaign funds.
Many of you were there for the "Pay To Play" council vote. The council would not even allow the subject to get to a 2nd reading!
Our elected officials are proving, over and over that they believe they are untouchable. Hell, if they don't want to be questioned on a particular topic, they just don't show up for the vote (especially when it's already been determined in Caucus earlier in the week, what the count on a particular issue will look like)! If it's clear that an issue will go their way... they have absolutely nothing to loose by being a "No Show".
Since the City Council was willing to leave $5 million dollars on the table (it could have been $10 million dollars, if the Mayor were supporting a 100% GREEN city park for the Embankment, but because he SAYS he wants Light Rail up there, the city could only apply for 50% of the available open space money) and refuse to apply for the NJEIT loan last week, they have shown once again, that they do not care at all, about the well being and opinions of the people they are supposed to represent.
The Mayor and the council think that, we the voters aren't watching. One of the council members actually set up a challenge during his Pay to Play comments, to vote him out, if we unhappy with him! I THINK THAT IS A TERRIFIC SUGGESTION! Many of the council members feel that they can pit one voting ward against another, blaming the lack of progress on issues and projects in their own wards, on the selfish financial behaviors of the "other" wards. That is an explaination and excuse that I am sick of hearing.
We can't trust our city government to make the "GOOD DEAL".
Don't let them get away with this any more. Write letters to the newspapers, call their offices, send emails, talk about our local politics on local and national radio shows, TV stations and websites. It will start to add up, the buzz will get louder and the "Elected" will have no choice but to pay attention.

Posted on: 2007/3/22 15:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/12/15 2:25
Group:
Registered Users
If it were a democratic process, I would vote NO to any legislature that tried to use a increase in taxes to pay for this embankment.

I would vote for a grant from the state or federal govt to cover costs or some large percentage of the total costs.

I would also vote for redevelopment from a private party if a high enough percentage was used for public space.

I think we have more important issues to fund than using more than 2% (my rough numbers) of the yearly budget on the embankment.

Posted on: 2007/3/19 13:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/12/23 2:50
Group:
Registered Users
I don't see NJ or Federal funding as better than a tax on JC residents (including me). If people in JC aren't willing to pony up the money for the park why should someone in Cape May or Wyoming have to do so? Part of my point about NH and VT having more honest government is that local control, locals paying the tax, and local accountability are a large part of it.

Once one adopts the notion that there's a big trough of free money and that getting one's snout in it first is all that matters, one has given up all hope of fiscal responsibility on the part of the government.

Quote:

parkster wrote:
Jeebus,
The whole point of the loan was that it would not ultimately put the city in debt. The loan would come from the State and
be repaid by grants from state and federal organizations who are more than willing to fund and sustain this worthy cause.
The city (that means us) would gain a huge asset in the Embankment, which would in turn generate continuing grants from a wide range of organizations, public and private.
Sure there would be maintenance issues for an Embankment park but the cost of these would be puny compared to the city services expended on multiple unit housing, which would probably be exempt from taxes for at least 20 years.
The city political machine has been robbing peter to pay paul for so long it has become its paranoid pathology to project creditors everywhere, and to see loansharks as benevolent benefactors.

Posted on: 2007/3/19 3:18

Hide User information
Last Login :
2007/11/26 0:50
Group:
Registered Users
Jeebus,
The whole point of the loan was that it would not ultimately put the city in debt. The loan would come from the State and
be repaid by grants from state and federal organizations who are more than willing to fund and sustain this worthy cause.
The city (that means us) would gain a huge asset in the Embankment, which would in turn generate continuing grants from a wide range of organizations, public and private.
Sure there would be maintenance issues for an Embankment park but the cost of these would be puny compared to the city services expended on multiple unit housing, which would probably be exempt from taxes for at least 20 years.
The city political machine has been robbing peter to pay paul for so long it has become its paranoid pathology to project creditors everywhere, and to see loansharks as benevolent benefactors.

Posted on: 2007/3/16 3:03

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/3/27 22:48
Group:
Registered Users
Lipski is a joke!!!

I live in the St Johns condos and so does Lipski, he has never been to any of the meetings. We could use his help. There is alot of crime in this area and we could use a community leader. If he doesnt care enough to show up to his own bldg condo meetings, how can he care baout his district??

He should go!!

He is useless!!!!!!!!

Posted on: 2007/3/16 2:55

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/3/27 22:48
Group:
Registered Users
I do NOT feel represented. however, I moved here after the election. I will surley vote Lipski out when the new election occurs.

They all suck!!!!

Except Fulop, and I'm not even in his district!!

Posted on: 2007/3/16 2:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/12/23 2:50
Group:
Registered Users
To answer your question - of course not. Still, I think it's a bit presumptuous for you to assume that most of the people in JC would be in favor of the city going more into debt (and ultimately pay more taxes) to do what you want with the Embankment.

I contrast the general lack of citizen participation in JC (and NJ) politics with how most people in whole towns in NH and VT turn out for town meetings or show up to testify at state legislative hearings. I think that the difference is due to the long history of corruption in NJ where one is as likely to be ignored or even punished for expressing an opinion as listened to. By contrast, when there is a history of honest government responding to the people at the local level, there is a lot more participation.

Quote:

parkster wrote:
The City Council Meeting tonight once again has proven that the majority of our elected representatives do not represent us. When are our demands for adequate representation going to be heard?
The Council 4-3 to not file for loan application money for the Embankment. That\'s correct this resolution was simply to file, not accept or reject any financial obligation to the city.
Councilwoman Mary Spinello, who was one of the no votes, said \"Shame on the city for not going after these funds previously\". So why would she vote no now? Isn\'t she contradicting her vote by her statement? It boggles the mind how common sense and common good are repeatedly overlooked in these types of scenarios.
When are the residents of Jersey City going to say enough?

Posted on: 2007/3/16 2:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
This should have been listed under the 'Post a Joke' thread.

Posted on: 2007/3/15 12:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/4/25 16:16
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
I also noticed that there was a second reading of the proposal to amend the Jersey Avenue Redevelopment Plan. I would have appreciated a little more information.
Is this what was described in the JC REporter:

The City Council introduced an ordinance at its meeting that would change the Jersey Avenue Redevelopment Plan, which governs over Jersey Avenue from Tenth Street to Eighteenth Street in downtown Jersey City.

"The change to the plan would break up the redevelopment area specified in the plan into three distinct areas with their own plans: the Jersey Avenue Tenth Street Redevelopment Plan, the Jersey Avenue Park Redevelopment Plan, and the Jersey Avenue Light Rail Redevelopment Plan.

The Jersey Avenue Tenth Street Redevelopment Plan includes Jersey Avenue north to south from 10th Street to 12th Street and west to east from Hoboken Avenue to Marin Boulevard.

The Jersey Avenue Park Redevelopment Plan runs from western portion of Hoboken Avenue to Jersey Avenue, and from 12th Street to a northern portion of Hoboken Avenue. And the Jersey Avenue Light Rail Redevelopment Plan extends from Jersey Avenue to Marin Boulevard and from Fourteenth Street to the Hoboken border."

http://www.hudsonreporter.com/site/ne ... =461&dept_id=523586&rfi=6

Does anyone know exactly what this was all about?

Posted on: 2007/3/15 10:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

swooshy wrote:
No.
But I have a darn good memory at election time.

Well, that puts you in a tiny minority both in terms of memory and actually voting. In JC it seems a pol could crap on people front steps in broad daylight and they wouldn't bother to vote him out.

Posted on: 2007/3/15 6:18

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/11/16 16:24
Group:
Registered Users
No.
But I have a darn good memory at election time.

Posted on: 2007/3/15 2:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/4/25 16:16
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
I got emails from HPNA, it was on 25mc.org, it was on the jclist calendar
and on this thread of jclist
http://jclist.com/modules/newbb/viewt ... id=100441#forumpost100441

and also in the JJ.

Where was everyone?

The two no-shows were Lipski and Gaughan.

The issues were not only the embankment but also :

----the change in zoning in a neighborhood near the Beacon to allow a new 15-story tower.

----The tabling of an apprenticeship program (to be fine-tuned) to allow unemployed JC residents to be trained in condstruction so that they can take part in the JC development boom. According to the public speakers, this measure has been under consideration in various forms for 10 years. Our representatives said the ordinance should be ready in about 6 months.

___Also the lack of residential preferences for construction workers resident in JC

---the lack of "affordable housing" even though so many developers are supposedly paying into an affordable housing plan when they get abatements ( at $1500 per unit unlike the $125,000 in NYC.)

I know politics is dirty, but shouldn't the representatives, our elected representatives, at least pretend that they are somehow interested in the lives and well-being of their constituents

Posted on: 2007/3/15 1:58

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Lets not make the mistake of blaming the victims here. By the victims I mean all of the citizens of Jersey City. The Embankment battle has been fought over the course of a decade, if that's not commitment to a cause I don't know what is.
The point here is that no matter how much work that a civic organization is willing to do , the city government ultimately goes its own way. The Reservoir announcement by the Mayor as a park is an exception to the rule, and their situation can be reversed at any time. Remember the Powerhouse Arts District? I hardly can- since it is primarily high rise development now.
Does the city intend to warehouse these public assets for eventual private development? That does seem to be the trend.

Posted on: 2007/3/15 1:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/19 17:53
Group:
Registered Users
Why was there no organized out pouring of support for this vote.I must admit that i did not even know this was taking place.

The reservoir movement was very vocal about their intentions. On Fulops pay to play i was bombarded with E-mails and their was great discussion on this board.

Did someone drop the ball on this?
Please don't tell me the embankment leadership took Heally at his word on his support for the park.Spinello only votes as she is told, so the city must not really want this park.Shame.....

Posted on: 2007/3/15 1:28

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/8/19 21:53
Group:
Registered Users
who were the 2 no-shows?

Posted on: 2007/3/15 1:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/11/12 23:34
Group:
Banned
no... I don't

Posted on: 2007/3/15 1:12

Do you as a citizen and resident of Jersey City feel represented by your elected officials?

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
The City Council Meeting tonight once again has proven that the majority of our elected representatives do not represent us. When are our demands for adequate representation going to be heard?
The Council 4-3 to not file for loan application money for the Embankment. That's correct this resolution was simply to file, not accept or reject any financial obligation to the city.
Councilwoman Mary Spinello, who was one of the no votes, said "Shame on the city for not going after these funds previously". So why would she vote no now? Isn't she contradicting her vote by her statement? It boggles the mind how common sense and common good are repeatedly overlooked in these types of scenarios.
When are the residents of Jersey City going to say enough?

Posted on: 2007/3/15 1:09

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017