Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
155 user(s) are online (136 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 155

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 30 31 32 (33) 34 35 36 ... 60 »

Re: PATH (pathetic attempt at transporting humans)
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
PATH is F**ked. It's going to take years and Billions of $$$ to make it decent. Meanwhile lets keep cramming people into new towers in DTJC and now near JSQ.

Posted on: 2013/10/23 14:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/5 14:18
From Exchange Place
Group:
Registered Users
1. Make all their clocks in sync including the ones on the monitors.

2. Do not leave the station early.

If the train is scheduled to arrive at 9:46 AM, do not leave that station at 9:45 AM. Today at Exchange Place, the 9:46 AM Hoboken train left the station at 9:45 AM, even while the monitor is annoucing that the Hoboken train is schedule to arrive at 9:46 AM. I checked my two cellphones, and they both said 9:45 AM.

When the train arrives and leaves early on the weekend, we have to wait 21 minutes for the next train.

3. Follow the printed schedule or announced schedule.

On the weekends, sometimes the trains are a few minutes early, and sometime they are few minutes late. It is like nobody cares about the schedule.

Posted on: 2013/10/23 14:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/12/28 0:40
Group:
Registered Users
How about informing riders what time the next train to each destination is expected, outside the turnstiles. Even better if they're at the entrance of the station.

If the next train is in 40 minutes, it would be nice to have to know before I go through the turnstile. Then I can decide if I rather walk or take a cab.

Posted on: 2013/10/23 13:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/5 14:16
Group:
Registered Users
- Allow Icelandair to wrap as many car interiors as they wish, and do not charge them any advertising fees.

- Install politically incorrect posters on board cars to lampoon those who don?t have the awareness and class to offer their seat to passengers who are handicapped, elderly, or pregnant. Shame the crap out of them.

- Intelligently program the trains? climate control systems. Okay, maybe the car temperature is reaching the mid-seventies, but it?s January and only 10 degrees outside. Passengers don?t need to be blasted with cold air.

- And yes, of course, service that is proportional the demand. Do away with the timetable if necessary and continuously monitor the turnstiles in order to establish trends and predict usage. It would still allow PATH to reduce service and economize when appropriate by taking advantage of diversity.

Posted on: 2013/10/23 13:04

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/1/4 12:11
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
They should be able to provide much more advanced notice of planned weekend track maintenance (the 20 minute schedule messages). Given this work is planned out, they should be able to give us much more advanced notice. And make this notice much more apparent via signage, displays, tweets, or a mobile friendly web page that gets updated.

This seems like a quick and easy win.

Quote:

Asif wrote:

Just write up whatever questions/complaints you have for them on this thread here. I am going to present them with any feedback......and also let them know about this forum........so if they want they can come and see for themselves.

Posted on: 2013/10/23 12:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/23 21:08
Group:
Registered Users
Along with improvements in service esp Sundays and reverting back to just a JSQ to 33rd service on weekends (no passing through Hoboken). Some quality-of-life improvements:

A. Better ventilation/fan systems. Insufferably hot in summer months.
B. Enforce no eating/drinking or place rubbish bins inside station...too much litter
C. A reader board outside train station announcing next train so we don't have to rush downstairs- see A
D. Wifi
E. No pan handlers
F. Signage so people know which stairs go down and which go up
G. Elevator
H. More trivia/ word games on pathvision...really enjoy it
I. Purell dispensers at train exits

Posted on: 2013/10/23 12:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/20 19:08
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Asif wrote:

Just write up whatever questions/complaints you have for them on this thread here. I am going to present them with any feedback......and also let them know about this forum........so if they want they can come and see for themselves.

1) Apologize to all riders
2) Quit your jobs and never work in transportation again
3) Once you have found replacements, tell them to

a) stop funding the freedom tower
b) get rid of the tvs in stations which display "news" and have those displays just show when the next train is coming - in flashing red letters like in mta stations
c) concentrate only on improvements which improve SERVICE, not aesthetics ie this http://www.panynj.gov/path/harrisonredevelopment.html

d) can we aim to be just a tad more transparent?

Posted on: 2013/10/23 5:03

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/1/30 20:46
Group:
Registered Users
Agree w JCMan8.

Would add:
1) Inform riders what time the next train to each destination is expected. At a location like Grove St, one has to wait for this info to scroll slowly across the bottom bar of the tv screens, when it should show continuously for all destinations. At a location like Christopher St, there are electronic screens that could share this info but don't; they just tell you that trains to HOB, JSQ and 33rd run there (as if you didn't know).

2) Develop realistic, immediately actionable contingency plans for when Path service is cut off, including/especially during rush hour, such as free ferry, bus and shuttle access

3) Stop the excuses and legal action and build the mandated elevator at Grove St station already!!!

Posted on: 2013/10/23 2:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Asif wrote:

1. Increased Sunday service. Increased might not be the right word, considering the Port Authority recently decreased Sunday service to once every 20 min on all lines.

But once every 20 min is intolerable. The trains are PACKED, esp the JSQ to 33rd line. Once every 10 or 15 min is the minimum.

2. Some kind of accountability for the endless delays, which alternate between "track conditions" and "signal problems."

3. Increased weekend night service. Maybe from once every 35 min to once every 20 min.

Posted on: 2013/10/23 1:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/9/12 11:53
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/10/23 1:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/17 13:40
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Asif wrote:

I signed up for their Patron Advisory Committee(basically a way for commuters to get a better understanding of how the PA works). Tomorrow we have another session.

I would be happy to pass along any questions/complaints you guys have for them.

Good for you! How does that work? I assume they (and you) want to address issues beyond the usual complaints. Can we PM you? Is there an on-line forum?

Posted on: 2013/10/23 1:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 19:48
Group:
Registered Users
My suggestion -- make the system work. Very simple.

Posted on: 2013/10/22 13:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/9/12 11:53
Group:
Registered Users

I signed up for their Patron Advisory Committee(basically a way for commuters to get a better understanding of how the PA works). Tomorrow we have another session.

I would be happy to pass along any questions/complaints you guys have for them.

Posted on: 2013/10/22 12:22

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/5/10 2:31
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Delays again this morning, 3rd day in a row looking at PATH Alerts. Today, it was "car equipment problem", yesterday it was "signal problems" and "police activity" on Sunday. Seems like they keep rotating the excuses.
They were announcing 10 mins delays on the JSQ-33rd line, station was already packed, so thought I might be lucky, got there at the right time. Ended up having to wait 30 mins before the train finally came. All this while, they kept announcing "10 min delays". Rather cheeky, rubbing it in, I guess. How I got on the train is another story, 2 of my colleagues were left on the platform.
Saw atleast 3 empty trains heading to Hoboken. I guess they must be running a really rigid car allocation scheme, there was no way they could have routed these to a more useful busy route.
The fare is now almost at par with NYC Subway, and is only going to go higher, service keeps getting worse.

Posted on: 2013/10/22 11:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/21 14:01
Group:
Banned

Posted on: 2013/10/21 22:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/10/27 13:13
From The fog.
Group:
Registered Users
GEORGE: Maybe you said something that offended her.

JERRY: The only thing I can think of is I told her we should have those moving walkways all over the city.

GEORGE: Like at the airport? (getting excited)

JERRY: Yeah.

GEORGE: That's a great idea!!!

JERRY: Tell me about it!

GEORGE: We could be zipping all over the place.

JERRY: They could at least try it.

GEORGE: They never try anything.

JERRY: What's the harm?

GEORGE: No harm!

Posted on: 2013/10/21 20:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/7 4:19
Group:
Registered Users
First time I saw that time of train was in Istanbul and I just couldn't believe how cool it was. I imagine it would also increase safety, as you would never really be in an "empty" car.

Posted on: 2013/10/21 20:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
I wrote on here previously that I thought articulated trains, so common in Paris, would be great for crowded PATH trains.

Posted on: 2013/10/21 20:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/7 17:48
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users
Here's an option I never thought of to increase capacity.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/21/nyr ... y-consider-new-model.html

This month, in a 142-page document outlining needs for the next 20 years, the authority noted the benefits of articulated trains ? similar to accordion-style buses ? that have no doors between cars, allowing unrestricted flow throughout the length of the subway.

?This will both maximize carrying capacity,? the authority said, and allow passengers to ?move to less-crowded areas of the train, balancing loading and unloading times at all doors.?

Elsewhere, the trains have proved largely successful. Brad Ross, a spokesman for the Toronto Transit Commission, which began using an ?open gangway? model two years ago, said capacity had increased by 8 percent to 10 percent.

Posted on: 2013/10/21 19:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/7/22 15:58
Group:
Registered Users
Just an FYI, the Bayyone Bridge pedestrian/bike walkway has been closed as they prepare to raise the bridge span. I found this out the hard way when I attempted to return to J.C. from Statten Island one afternoon last week on my bike. I had to RACE back to the ferry in order to make it back to the WTC PATH station before the rediculous 3:30 bike cut off hour and I JUST made it. I did a google search for info on the closing just now and I see they say they provide a shuttle service to pedestrians and bikers, but there was no mention of this at the bridge approach where I saw only the sign saying the pedestrian walkway was closed since August. Her is the link: http://www.panynj.gov/bridges-tunnels ... destian-bicycle-info.html

Posted on: 2013/10/7 13:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/5 14:16
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ahal wrote:
I'm guessing it costs a good bit in electricity to haul a whole train set from Newark to World Trade.

Assume:

- Each car is equipped with two, 100kW (130hp) motors, one on each truck
- There are 8 cars on the line
- Travel time from Newark to World Trade Center is 25 minutes
- Motors are driven at 100% for the entire trip (an extreme over-estimation)
- Generation/transmission cost is 15 cents/kWh (total guess)
- Transmission losses are 50% (a wild assumption that I hope is incorrect)

That would result in energy usage of 1340 kWh, or about $200 a trip. If I'm remotely in the ballpark, electricity is probably not the biggest expense.

Posted on: 2013/10/7 13:01

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/1/4 12:11
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
This is probably impossible to answer, but does anyone know what the marginal cost of running one more train is on any of the routes? Curious how much they are saving with the decreased service on Sunday mornings.

I actually have no clue if it's in the hundreds or thousands. I'm guessing it costs a good bit in electricity to haul a whole train set from Newark to World Trade.

Posted on: 2013/10/6 19:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Hey does anybody know what the deal is on WTC-Newark line on the weekends? It's back to its old wonky delays on weekends. For a while it wasn't an issue, but now it seems to be back? It's really annoying, this morning I waited and waited, but finally decided to take a taxi ($40!) To Newark Penn to make my njtransit train. Ugh! Is there any predictability to this "signal maintenance"? Really not convenient to build in an extra 45 mins of buffer time to go about 7 miles.

Posted on: 2013/9/21 15:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/28 22:07
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
This would not be ideal if you want a commute under a couple hours.

I fixed your line for you

Posted on: 2013/8/19 3:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
I have biked to NYC several times, there are two ways head up to Edgewater then oner the GW bridge or head,to Bayonne and bike over the VN bridge to Stanten Island or Brooklyn... This would not be ideal if you wear a suit to work.

Posted on: 2013/8/19 3:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

corybraiterman wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
People DO have alternatives. If you don't want to be stuck in traffic, use a different method of transportation: bike, train, subway, motorcycle, bus, ferry, etc. I find amusing that some people in the NYC metro area complain about commuting options or alternatives.

Interesting. How am I supposed to bike from here in downtown JC to downtown Manhattan?

There are times I need to be at work at 6:45 AM and other times I don't leave until 11PM. How am I supposed to take the ferry when they don't run at those hours?

Perhaps I should buy and ride the most dangerous form of individual transportation, a motorcycle, simply because our tunnels, roads and bridges don't have the capacity to carry us properly from hither to thither?

I, as a subway rider, don't particularly want thousands upon thousands more people cramming into the already packed cars simply because our governor is a damn shortsighted moron who's sacrificing one of the most important things a government can actually do - improve the public infrastructure - on the altar of political principles of "small government.

Let's not pretend that simply because there are other choices/things that aren't an option to begin with that what we have here in the NYC metro area is adequate.

I heard that if you pedal fast enough, the laws of physics don't apply and you can just ride across the hudson. Didn't fulop do this?

Posted on: 2013/8/19 3:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/28 22:07
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
People DO have alternatives. If you don't want to be stuck in traffic, use a different method of transportation: bike, train, subway, motorcycle, bus, ferry, etc. I find amusing that some people in the NYC metro area complain about commuting options or alternatives.

Interesting. How am I supposed to bike from here in downtown JC to downtown Manhattan?

There are times I need to be at work at 6:45 AM and other times I don't leave until 11PM. How am I supposed to take the ferry when they don't run at those hours?

Perhaps I should buy and ride the most dangerous form of individual transportation, a motorcycle, simply because our tunnels, roads and bridges don't have the capacity to carry us properly from hither to thither?

I, as a subway rider, don't particularly want thousands upon thousands more people cramming into the already packed cars simply because our governor is a damn shortsighted moron who's sacrificing one of the most important things a government can actually do - improve the public infrastructure - on the altar of political principles of "small government.

Let's not pretend that simply because there are other choices/things that aren't an option to begin with that what we have here in the NYC metro area is adequate.

Posted on: 2013/8/19 3:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:

How exactly do you bike from JC to NYC?

Posted on: 2013/8/19 3:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/8/18 18:37

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/10/4 2:04
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
"...there is some logic to Christies' decision based on history that the finished product would have massively exceeded the $8B budget"
May have gone over budget, but from seeing the posts on this board and the experience of using the tunnels, it seems like that ARC tunnel is needed more than ever. Waits for the Holland were well over an hour last night and much over lower Manhattan was gridlocked. People are only going to take so much before tempers flare and things get out of hand. Commuters in this region really deserve better.

Posted on: 2013/8/17 18:38

« 1 ... 30 31 32 (33) 34 35 36 ... 60 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017