Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
114 user(s) are online (101 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 114

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 3 (4)

Re: This City Needs an Indie Movie Theater

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/6/26 1:10
Group:
Registered Users
Like how this thread is going. I will mail the JCM and Sunshine. The grove street local is the right place. Keep going.....

Posted on: 2007/1/12 23:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Brewster

The museum could make money! We saw "Cousin Bobby" (1992) Directed by Jonathan Demme -- What a great use of the space!

I just hope that if it does happen the Art Museum shows Art Films -- please don't turn it into yet another "family fun" thing. Nothing wrong with kids but movies in Van Vorst Park and the old films at the Loews always seem way too geared to kids.

Great Idea Brewster!

Quote:

brewster wrote:
I know it's pathetic, but I'll bump my own post because you guys are even more pathetic with fantasies about buying the ex-synagogue.

If you REALLY want indie movies, a public campaign directed at the museum could REALLY work. Come back to earth. This is a publicly funded arts organization with a mandate to serve our community possessing an underused theater in our backyard. HELLO!!?

Quote:

brewster wrote:
Seem to me a great waste that the lovely theater at the JC Museum isn't put to this use. It's not like they're doing much else with it nightly. Surely it would fit with their mission and fund itself to cover the overtime or whatever.

Posted on: 2007/1/10 13:58

Hide User information
Last Login :
2007/1/11 23:36
From I drink alone.
Group:
Registered Users
I'd be happy with one like Two Boots Theater in the city. I used to live in between Angelica and Sunshine and it was great!

Posted on: 2007/1/10 3:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

VanVorster wrote:
The JC Museum did show films for OutFest as part of JCGLO pride or some other Hudson County gay organizations. And I wholeheartedly agree with you, the museum's theater is a great space and seemingly consistent with part of its mission -- bringing art to the masses. However, an organization has to presumably reserve and rent their space to showcase films there. Rather than sporadic showings by various organizations reserving the museum, a real indie theater is probably warranted to show films on a daily basis (think Quad, Angelicka, Landmark, Rialto) and with Grove Pointe, Columbus Tower, Toll Brothers tower, KHov towers being built -- it's all the more logical. However, if that's not feasible, perhaps the museum should consider showing films during JCFridays or on some other basis and perhaps defray costs by charging on concessions/cordials (wine, beer, chips, etc.). It would be a great way to meet and greet your fellow "neighbors" in the lobby of the museum.

Exactly. And if weekend films at the JCM were a great success, it might inspire a commercial venture on someone's part. I certainly wasn't proposing nightly films there, mainly because I don't think the demand is there. But who knows until you try?

Now all that is needed is someone with the energy and time to push the museum.....

Posted on: 2007/1/9 23:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/22 21:14
Group:
Registered Users
The JC Museum did show films for OutFest as part of JCGLO pride or some other Hudson County gay organizations. And I wholeheartedly agree with you, the museum's theater is a great space and seemingly consistent with part of its mission -- bringing art to the masses. However, an organization has to presumably reserve and rent their space to showcase films there. Rather than sporadic showings by various organizations reserving the museum, a real indie theater is probably warranted to show films on a daily basis (think Quad, Angelicka, Landmark, Rialto) and with Grove Pointe, Columbus Tower, Toll Brothers tower, KHov towers being built -- it's all the more logical. However, if that's not feasible, perhaps the museum should consider showing films during JCFridays or on some other basis and perhaps defray costs by charging on concessions/cordials (wine, beer, chips, etc.). It would be a great way to meet and greet your fellow "neighbors" in the lobby of the museum.

Posted on: 2007/1/9 23:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Jayson wrote:
Quote:

brewster wrote:
If you REALLY want indie movies, a public campaign directed at the museum could REALLY work. Come back to earth. This is a publicly funded arts organization with a mandate to serve our community possessing an underused theater in our backyard. HELLO!!?

Yeah, I like this idea. Did you ask them anything?

Nah, indie movies on a screen ain't my jones, I barely get out, but it surely seems the way to go if it's what you want. If they managed to schedule something remarkable enough maybe I'd go. I'd sign a petition if someone went that far, I think it'd be great for Downtown.

Posted on: 2007/1/9 22:34

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/1/23 17:55
Group:
Banned
Quote:
brewster wrote:
I know it's pathetic, but I'll bump my own post because you guys are even more pathetic with fantasies about buying the ex-synagogue.

I didn't say I wanted to buy it, but there is at least one company out there that does exactly this sort of thing, apparently for profit!

Anyway, I just emailed the museum (info 'at' jerseycitymuseum.org) and will let you know what I hear back. Though the museum auditorium set-up is frankly not what I'm looking for in the long run -- I'm partial to cushy stadium seating, surround-sound and lots of popcorn and Raisinets -- it might be OK in the interim.

Posted on: 2007/1/9 22:33

Hide User information
Last Login :
2007/1/11 23:36
From I drink alone.
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:

Yeah, I like this idea. Did you ask them anything?

Posted on: 2007/1/9 21:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned

Quote:

brewster wrote:
Seem to me a great waste that the lovely theater at the JC Museum isn't put to this use. It's not like they're doing much else with it nightly. Surely it would fit with their mission and fund itself to cover the overtime or whatever.

Posted on: 2007/1/9 21:52

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Here's a link to Landmark's history and theater locations, and a snippet:

Quote:
Still, no matter how large it grows, the circuit continues to operate hand-in-hand with local communities to support the art of film. With its mix of historic and new theatres Landmark Theatres remains committed to exhibiting meaningful films that need to be seen.

Fun fact: one of the owners is Dallas Mavericks owner and, uh, maverick...Mark Cuban.

That email again: CustomerService 'at' LandmarkTheatres.com

Posted on: 2007/1/9 21:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
MCA, great minds think alike. Landmark partially focuses on rehabbing historical/old places for its theater operations, such as the Landmark Sunshine on Houston. The synagogue/mosque would be ideal given its location, JC's demographics and majestic historical facade.

Posted on: 2007/1/9 19:47

Re: This City Needs an Ifidel Movie Theater?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/11/19 15:19
Group:
Banned
I say bring back some good ole XXX movie theaters, just like the one that use to be located down on the city line
in Bayonne.....

CK

Posted on: 2007/1/9 19:19

Re: This City Needs an Infidel Movie Theater?
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
I know it's a mosque. I was just thinking some forward-thinking developer could buy it and turn it into a Landmark Sunshine or Angelika-style theater.

Update: I just sent an email to CustomerService 'at' LandmarkTheatres.com asking them to look into opening a theater in JC. Here's a list of cities they currently serve:

ATLANTA
AUSTIN
BOSTON
BOULDER
CHICAGO
DALLAS
DENVER
DETROIT
HOUSTON
INDIANAPOLIS
LOS ANGELES
MILWAUKEE
MINNEAPOLIS
NEW ORLEANS
NEW YORK CITY
SAN DIEGO
S.F. BAY AREA
..The City
..East Bay
..Peninsula
SEATTLE
ST. LOUIS
WASHINGTON D.C.

Posted on: 2007/1/9 19:14

Edited by MCA on 2007/1/9 19:31:14
Edited by MCA on 2007/1/9 19:31:58
Edited by MCA on 2007/1/9 19:32:41

Re: This City Needs an Ifidel Movie Theater?
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/11/5 17:42
Group:
Banned
isn't that an active mosque, MCA?
they probably wouldn't wanna screen any decadent western art-crap there

Posted on: 2007/1/9 19:09

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
The old synagogue/mosque on Grove St. would make a perfect arthouse theater location-wise. Anyone who's been inside lately -- what's it like in there?

Posted on: 2007/1/9 19:05

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/7/7 14:40
Group:
Registered Users
ah, the Cable Car. loved that place.

would love to have an indie theatre here in JC.
too bad it wasn't as easy ad showing netflix in a garage, but that, unfortunately, would be copyright infringement.
still, it does seem like the community could support a legitmate theatre, or film series program.the cable car in JC

Posted on: 2007/1/7 19:15

Hide User information
Last Login :
2007/1/6 16:13
Group:
Registered Users
Kim's has some great films, but not an ongoing theater, which would be a great addition.

Posted on: 2007/1/6 16:24

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/11 21:46
From Jersey City Heights
Group:
Registered Users
It is a really beautiful place - gigantic screen, comfortable seats. On weekdays, it is strictly Bollywood. On weekends, it throws in a few American films - ones that will soon be going to video. The Prestige is showing there now.

Posted on: 2007/1/2 21:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/8 22:02
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
All shows are $2.

TWO WHOLE DOLLARS?!? What is this world coming to? Does North Bergen think they're Hoboken now?

Just kidding, I'll have to check that out.

Posted on: 2007/1/2 18:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Anyone hear when the new Clearview Multiplex will open in Hoboken?

Here is the jclist thread on it -- Hoboken: Clearview Cinemas building five-screen "urban theater" with no parking.

Click Link

Posted on: 2007/1/2 16:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/4 19:36
From McGinley Square / Lincoln Park
Group:
Registered Users
The closest second run theatre is the Columbia Park Cinema 12 in North Bergen:

http://www.starplexcinemas.com/3009.asp

All shows are $2.

Quote:

grovester wrote:
How about a $1 movie theater where you can see movies from a few months ago? (Just before they come out on DVD.) I'm always a few months behind anyway, I might as well save a few bucks. Anyone know 1 like that?

Posted on: 2007/1/2 16:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
This place was amazing when I was in school. Nice plush sofas (probably second hand, thrift store) and they showed a variety of films. Ambience and selection were phenomenal.

http://www.cablecarcinema.com/

Posted on: 2007/1/1 21:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/8 22:02
Group:
Registered Users
How about a $1 movie theater where you can see movies from a few months ago? (Just before they come out on DVD.) I'm always a few months behind anyway, I might as well save a few bucks. Anyone know 1 like that?

Posted on: 2007/1/1 16:25

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/6/26 1:10
Group:
Registered Users
Me thinks, rent an old car repair garage of Newark ave someplace, paint the joint, join Netflix, pick up a projector and an old Dell. A few cheap sofas and we are in.

Posted on: 2007/1/1 12:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 16:14
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Never been, but I think Kim's in Newport shows some arthouse stuff. Website is down at the moment though.

http://www.mondokims.com/

Posted on: 2006/12/23 3:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned

Posted on: 2006/12/23 2:58

This City Needs an Indie Movie Theater
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Given the demographics of this City (diversity in that 50 languages are spoken here daily, lots of artists, academics, professionals, etc.), it's surprising that there is no equivalent to a Rialto, Landmark Sunshine, Angelika or the Quad. Does anyone know if something like this is planned over the next couple of years. If not, to see something like this come to fruition, should a petition be started or something?

Posted on: 2006/12/23 1:35

« 1 2 3 (4)

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017