Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
145 user(s) are online (129 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 145

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 ... 45 »

Re: Hamilton Park Renovation - Update
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/28 17:36
Group:
Banned
Quote:

2DogDoll wrote:
"hormonal broodmare"

awesome!

Posted on: 2010/6/24 14:26

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/7/1 1:18
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
I have seen dogs off leash only a couple times and there was no one being bothered by them as they just laying about.

This is actually irrelevant as city ordinance requires all dogs to be on leash when not in designated dog runs areas or private property, whether they're bothering anyone or not. Whether or not one agrees with the ordinance doesn't matter in terms of abiding by it. Should one wish to have a dog off leash outside the dog runs, the appropriate and reasonable response is to pressure city council, try to get the law changed, not to simply ignore it.

I say this as a dog owner. Mine is always leashed despite the fact I'd love to let her roam free. I've called 547 5477 a few times on off-leash dogs because having a dog roaming free and approaching a leashed dog makes the leashed dog feel threatened.

I've no desire to infringe on others' rights to enjoy the park with their family and pets (which is why I support the dog runs, pet free zones, and pet friendly zones), but I'd like the same consideration. Having a dog roaming free outside the dog runs does in fact infringe on other people's ability to use the park.

Posted on: 2010/6/24 14:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/11/27 22:56
Group:
Registered Users
Finally someone with their priorities in order.

Posted on: 2010/6/24 6:46

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/9/2 6:41
Group:
Banned
Apologies justice-fans, I was tied up with World Cup/alcohol related activities today.

Posted on: 2010/6/24 5:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:

Actually, except for the unfortunate incident with the signs, the park has been fine in regards to dogs and their owners. I have walked all over that park and I found one wayward pile of poop which I picked up. The real shame is that people with no authority have been screaming at and scolding complete strangers when they were doing NOTHING wrong. I have had at least 6 different dog-owners ask me "who those people are". I even know a grown man who was scolded for playing, wait for it.......badminton on a lawn. Meanwhile the park is used everyday by Cordero, St. Anthony's and McNair for gym classes. Today they were playing soccer and baseball in the park. It's either a completely passive park or just a park. People have been getting mixed messages as to what they can and cannot do. I suggest that if you are going to let kids run all over the park then you are going to have to let grown-ups do the same. In regards to the Pet Free Zone signs? Well the wound was healing nicely and those signs pulled the scab right off.

Frankly, if they're using the greenspace for gym rather than the sports facilities, DPW should talk to the schools about that. We've been clear about no organized ball playing on the lawns by cricketers or soccer players, so we need to be consistent. We're not talking about a few kids with a wiffle ball set or tossing around a football, or a even a little badminton. You're describing organized play on a consistent basis, which will absolutely destroy the grass if that's where it's taking place.

BTW you apparently fail to recognize the running of off leash dogs in the dog free areas at off hours as a lack of cooperation with the law on 2 counts.

I would suggest just letting the park go. Let people do what they do and take action when things need to be maintained. No one is stopping the litterers so we just pick it up. If a certain area starts looking rough from ball playing then rope it off for awhile. And there has been no damage by dogs to the grass so far. A presence of dog-walkers at night is a good thing for the neighborhood. I have seen dogs off leash only a couple times and there was no one being bothered by them as they just laying about.

Posted on: 2010/6/24 2:10

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/25 0:21
Group:
Registered Users
I'm telling you people all of a sudden people have become so uptight. I live right across the park and I'll be damned if I let these haters stop me from using the park. I expect most of the dog haters will leave in about 5 years when they need to sign up their kids for 1st grade.

I wish the woman who use to talk/scream to herself came back and scared people away!!! If it were only that simple...

Posted on: 2010/6/24 0:03

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/3/15 16:15
Group:
Banned
Ayeceed, I respect your right to disagree with my statement; and since you are in the majority, your views have been "blessed" while my contrary positions are vilified and my character assaulted. FYI: I too took part in the renovation plans and expressed my reservations from the outset.

I only use the park to cross over from 8th to 9th St. One time, my dog who was on leash and is impeccably well behaved was attacked by a wayward four year old who grabbed his fur and then fell screaming to the ground. I helped the child up only to have is neglectful mother start screaming at me for walking my dog on the walkway. My dog stood absolutely still throughout this scene.

Another time, my dog left a trickle on a lamp-post, we'd already walked around the neighborhood for the past hour so there really was nothing left but a few drops, when a hormonal broodmare threatened to have me arrested because she heard that dogs were not allowed in the park at all. "Parks are for people, not animals."

So "Brown Shirts" the park is yours. Knock yourselves out. I don't use the park and except for crossing to the other side, I won't use it. I am and have always been a responsible dog owner and my dogs are some of the best-behaved animals in Downtown.

Posted on: 2010/6/23 23:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:

Actually, except for the unfortunate incident with the signs, the park has been fine in regards to dogs and their owners. I have walked all over that park and I found one wayward pile of poop which I picked up. The real shame is that people with no authority have been screaming at and scolding complete strangers when they were doing NOTHING wrong. I have had at least 6 different dog-owners ask me "who those people are". I even know a grown man who was scolded for playing, wait for it.......badminton on a lawn. Meanwhile the park is used everyday by Cordero, St. Anthony's and McNair for gym classes. Today they were playing soccer and baseball in the park. It's either a completely passive park or just a park. People have been getting mixed messages as to what they can and cannot do. I suggest that if you are going to let kids run all over the park then you are going to have to let grown-ups do the same. In regards to the Pet Free Zone signs? Well the wound was healing nicely and those signs pulled the scab right off.

Frankly, if they're using the greenspace for gym rather than the sports facilities, DPW should talk to the schools about that. We've been clear about no organized ball playing on the lawns by cricketers or soccer players, so we need to be consistent. We're not talking about a few kids with a wiffle ball set or tossing around a football, or a even a little badminton. You're describing organized play on a consistent basis, which will absolutely destroy the grass if that's where it's taking place.

BTW you apparently fail to recognize the running of off leash dogs in the dog free areas at off hours as a lack of cooperation with the law on 2 counts.

Posted on: 2010/6/23 23:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

ayeceed wrote:
Quote:
The responsible dog owners of this community got the shaft as far as this park is concerned

Not sure I'd agree. As a dog owner, and someone who took the time to look over the renovation plans when the city brought them to the neighborhood's attention and having voiced concerns then and voted on the designs, I'm quite happy we have dog runs now and pet-free/friendly zones.

I'm happy to have half the park pet-free so that I can sit in the grass without my dog and not worry about sitting in other people's pet's waste.

I'm also happy that there is half the park where I can sit with my dog should I choose.

Why do some people insist that they be allowed to do whatever they want wherever? Part of being in a community is being respectful of everyone and compromising.

It's funny that a voice of complete sanity like ayeceed is probably a sock puppet of someone who didn't want their neighbors to know how rational they are.

I don't understand how folks who have read this whole thread can be shocked that some people are doing whatever they want with their dogs regardless of law and decency. They've said it all along.

Posted on: 2010/6/23 22:35

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/3/13 21:19
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

ayeceed wrote:
Quote:
The responsible dog owners of this community got the shaft as far as this park is concerned

Not sure I'd agree. As a dog owner, and someone who took the time to look over the renovation plans when the city brought them to the neighborhood's attention and having voiced concerns then and voted on the designs, I'm quite happy we have dog runs now and pet-free/friendly zones.

I'm happy to have half the park pet-free so that I can sit in the grass without my dog and not worry about sitting in other people's pet's waste.

I'm also happy that there is half the park where I can sit with my dog should I choose.

Why do some people insist that they be allowed to do whatever they want wherever? Part of being in a community is being respectful of everyone and compromising.

It's funny that a voice of complete sanity like ayeceed is probably a sock puppet of someone who didn't want their neighbors to know how rational they are.

I don't understand how folks who have read this whole thread can be shocked that some people are doing whatever they want with their dogs regardless of law and decency. They've said it all along.

True enough. What they lack in decency, they make up for in consistency.

Posted on: 2010/6/23 20:16

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/3/13 21:19
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

ayeceed wrote:
Quote:

Posted on: 2010/6/23 20:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

ayeceed wrote:
Quote:

Posted on: 2010/6/23 19:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
Amen!

Posted on: 2010/6/23 19:10

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/7/1 1:18
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Posted on: 2010/6/23 19:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
I noticed while cleaning the park today that some of the signs are gone. I assume the contractor is repairing them. Why don't they switch the misplaced signs over to the actual Pet Free Zone? At least people will be aware of where they should and where they shouldn't walk their dogs.

Posted on: 2010/6/23 18:53

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/1/29 17:28
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Slacky wrote:
Oh I'm deadly serious.
Whilst taking my morning constitutional I noticed at least one of the signs that had previously been left intact has now also been altered. The sign closest to the dog run in the center of the park now reads "Free Zone". This must have happened overnight.
I also saw a contractor checking all the signs while talking on his phone.
The money it will cost to repair these signs could have been better spent on garbage cans for the basketball court.

I was at the East District Captain's meeting last night and the noise in the basketball courts in Hamilton Park and other issues were discussed.

Vandalism in the park will not be tolerated. If you have witnessed the signs or other park features being vandalized file a police report at the Police Department - East District at 207 7th Street.

Posted on: 2010/6/23 16:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

icechute wrote:
Quote:

Slacky wrote:
I just staked out the park for a couple of hours looking for the guy with the two black Scotties.

Rule 1 of being on a stakeout:
Do not let anyone know you are on one.

Rule 2:
Do not go on a public forum and announce the subject of the stakeout.

On another note: in other posts in this thread, it was mentioned that all the "issues" that have come up are going to be presented at the JCPD Captains meeting.

Please be aware that there is real crime out there that the PD is dealing with. Where dogs pee, kids scream and what time guys play BB are NOT even close to being on the PD's radar; nor should they be while aforementioned real crime is occurring.

You are all now free to continue your ranting....

You ruined it! In any case I could teach Slacky a few things as I have put 8 people in jail through "staking" them out till the cops arrived.

Posted on: 2010/6/23 14:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/28 17:36
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Slacky wrote:
I just staked out the park for a couple of hours looking for the guy with the two black Scotties.

Rule 1 of being on a stakeout:
Do not let anyone know you are on one.

Rule 2:
Do not go on a public forum and announce the subject of the stakeout.

On another note: in other posts in this thread, it was mentioned that all the "issues" that have come up are going to be presented at the JCPD Captains meeting.

Please be aware that there is real crime out there that the PD is dealing with. Where dogs pee, kids scream and what time guys play BB are NOT even close to being on the PD's radar; nor should they be while aforementioned real crime is occurring.

You are all now free to continue your ranting....

Posted on: 2010/6/23 14:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Althea wrote:
The pet free lawns

The Director of Public Works, Rodney Hadley, designated 50% of the park pet free. He provided the contractor with a map that clearly delineated which lawns would be pet free and which would be pet friendly.

The contractor made a mistake which we hope will be corrected as soon as possible. The two quadrants of passive space on the 8th Street side of the park are to be pet friendly.

I'm so sorry this happened because it only adds to the bad feelings on all sides. Remember that those of us really using the park are much more in tune than a lot of the City employees merely following instructions. They don't always take action with full knowledge or compassion.

Councilman Fulop has asked them to correct the signage in our shared park as soon as possible.

BTW - Children are not to be left unattended in any part of the park INCLUDING the playground.

Althea [pet and child wrangler]

Can the misplaced signs just be covered up in the interim?

Posted on: 2010/6/23 13:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/7/18 18:17
Group:
Banned
This is disgraceful.

I'm sick over this willful destruction of public property.

It seems that dog-owners can't be trusted to uphold the public good.

If this continues, I foresee a city-wide ban on dogs.

Posted on: 2010/6/23 13:13

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Oh I'm deadly serious.
Whilst taking my morning constitutional I noticed at least one of the signs that had previously been left intact has now also been altered. The sign closest to the dog run in the center of the park now reads "Free Zone". This must have happened overnight.
I also saw a contractor checking all the signs while talking on his phone.
The money it will cost to repair these signs could have been better spent on garbage cans for the basketball court.

Posted on: 2010/6/23 13:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 16:46
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Slacky wrote:
Those signs are just stuck in the ground, not cemented in. All somebody has to do is pull out the ones that were put up in error.
The vandalized signs were done indiscriminately, in areas that are actually supposed to be pet free. In fact one of the designated pet lawns has completely unaltered signs

I just staked out the park for a couple of hours looking for the guy with the two black Scotties. He did not show.
If anybody has any leads please PM me.
The slow inexorable wheels of justice have been set in motion, I shall not rest until this wrong is righted.

Staked out the park for a couple of hours? I hope you are joking.

And until you actually see someone doing something with your own eyes should you say anything. Basing your actions on what you read here is not a good idea.

Posted on: 2010/6/23 12:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/17 12:06
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Thank you for this Althea. I thought there must have been some error in the placement of these signs. Quote:

Althea wrote:
The pet free lawns

The Director of Public Works, Rodney Hadley, designated 50% of the park pet free. He provided the contractor with a map that clearly delineated which lawns would be pet free and which would be pet friendly.

The contractor made a mistake which we hope will be corrected as soon as possible. The two quadrants of passive space on the 8th Street side of the park are to be pet friendly.

I'm so sorry this happened because it only adds to the bad feelings on all sides. Remember that those of us really using the park are much more in tune than a lot of the City employees merely following instructions. They don't always take action with full knowledge or compassion.

Councilman Fulop has asked them to correct the signage in our shared park as soon as possible.

BTW - Children are not to be left unattended in any part of the park INCLUDING the playground.

Althea [pet and child wrangler]

Posted on: 2010/6/23 4:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:
Althea wrote: Wow, jeez, of course, I meant legally which I believe is 13 or younger. However, I would expect people to use common sense. I didn't realize that every post on here needs to read like legal text.
You know I was just trying to head off another disaster of misunderstanding and accusations that have ensued from far less. Assuming common sense around here is like assuming you'll win the lottery. I had no idea there's a legal category for <13.

Posted on: 2010/6/23 4:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/24 18:16
From "Pay for Play"
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Althea wrote:
Quote:

On_The_3rd wrote:
At least the signs read "Pet Free Zone" and not "Dog Free Zone". We wouldn't want all those cat owners in the neighborhood chiming in on this one.

I'm pretty sure that the "pet free zone" is not aimed at cats but the large amount of pot bellied pig owners who have descended up HP. One should always have their bases covered, no?

Althea, you're hilarious! I'm glad that not only as child and pet wrangler you also are keeping us up on the pot bellied pig owners who are taking over the park. Your work is never done here at jclist.

Posted on: 2010/6/23 2:39
Resized Image
Help US Sue Spectra! Join OR Donate!

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Slacky wrote:
Those signs are just stuck in the ground, not cemented in. All somebody has to do is pull out the ones that were put up in error.
The vandalized signs were done indiscriminately, in areas that are actually supposed to be pet free. In fact one of the designated pet lawns has completely unaltered signs

I just staked out the park for a couple of hours looking for the guy with the two black Scotties. He did not show.
The slow inexorable wheels of justice have been set in motion, I shall not rest until this wrong is righted.
'

You are the same person who suggested to someone that they should poison their neighbor's dog.

http://jclist.com/modules/newbb/viewt ... id=149647#forumpost149647

Posted on: 2010/6/23 2:28

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/25 0:21
Group:
Registered Users
Let's grab your pitch forks and torches folks and smoke the guy with the black scotties out. Or better yet, start a task force and go undercover as dog owner. hehehe

Dogs are not people. No SH*T... Really, I guess I must have missed that in science class in like the third grade.

Most of the dog owners aren't opposed to keeping our "property" as you say on leashes and we wanted the park to be renovated (it helps to maintain the appreciation of our properties, just like you).

The problem is that some people believe that keeping dogs at a distance will keep their children free from diseases. You live in an urban area and things are by far not as sterile as the suburbs. Did you read about the toxin chromium in jersey city? Sleep well...

Posted on: 2010/6/23 1:05

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/3/15 16:15
Group:
Banned
Thank you, Brewster! i love you too.

Clancy, puppy, there's no such thing as "low rent" in this neighborhood.

Posted on: 2010/6/22 23:57

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned

Posted on: 2010/6/22 23:52

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/1/11 2:50
Group:
Registered Users
Defacing anything in this newly renovated park is a shame. But clearly a mistake has been made. The pet free zone signs are tacky and make the park look terrible. Things were fine before these signs went up. Dog owners do not feel welcome anymore. Some owners do not take their dogs in the dog run for various reasons. These dogs should have adequate room on the grass to roam free or sit with their owners (on a leash of course). If they designate 2 of the grassy areas for pets, things will be divided equally and the dog owners should be happy, and will be more likely to follow the rules.
Where is the kid-free zone??? Keep an eye out next time you are in the park...its not the dogs destroying the grass...

Posted on: 2010/6/22 23:46

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 ... 45 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017