Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
44 user(s) are online (38 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 44

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 ... 31 »

Re: Whole Foods in JC?
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/23 7:20
From Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Interesting because I've always heard there were plans to add two more towers in that lot and the complex would make a square with an assumed park in the middle. I guess that will not be moving forward? In any case, traffic at the corner of Marin and Columbus will be more of a nightmare than it already is.

Still looking forward to a Whole Foods though!

Posted on: 2016/5/6 18:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JChiffon wrote:
Williamsburg, here we come

Yes, because Whole Foods is only in Williamsburg..

Posted on: 2016/5/6 18:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/7 17:48
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users
It was looking at plans Tommy had a while back, could be mine is old and yours is new. I don't think the corner has enough room for 45,000 sq feet and the park they show/talked about. Seems like it has to be in the lot between them to the North side, but I suppose it could be facing Montgomery. IMO, that would be a bit of a mistake, you want the store facing the majority of the foot traffic, and the foot traffic is driven by the PATH & the plaza.

Edit: At the time they had plans for a connecting street/walkway between Columbus and Montgomery.

Posted on: 2016/5/6 18:12

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/5/19 16:34
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Williamsburg, here we come

Posted on: 2016/5/6 18:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/28 15:24
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

moobycow wrote:
Quote:

jcman420 wrote:
The NJ.com article states that this Whole Foods will be at the corner of "Marin and Columbus, which is not even really possible. As of now, the hulking monstrosity of a co-op tower is situated near the Marin/Columbus corner of the property. There is no way a 45k SF supermarket is fitting in that corner. So, the Whole Foods has to be going directly across Columbus from 70 Columbus, between the two Motropolis Towers, or at the corner of Marin and Montgomery.

It's going between the towers, which is a big parking lot at the moment, it's pretty damn close the intersection. I would expect there to be an entrance very near the corner of Columbus and Marin, and likely one on Montgomery as well.

Resized Image

Interesting. Do you recall what your source is for the exact location? A while back I spoke with a rep for the developers and he told me that a "high end" supermarket (before it was confirmed to be WF) would be going in at the Montgomery/Marin corner of the property and that a new city street connecting Montgomery and Columbus was to be opened in the space between the existing towers.

These plans obviously could have changed. To me, it is crucial that a connection be opened up connecting Montgomery and Columbus between Marin and Warren. Hopefully, they still plan on doing that, even if it's just via a parking lot with an entrance from Montgomery.

Posted on: 2016/5/6 16:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/5 16:03
From PAD
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCGuys wrote:
I was hoping there would be more of a redevelopment of the site. I always thought WF would occupy a base of one of the new towers going up around town. Why have a stand alone store in what basically will be a strip mall.

Hope what you want - it's a co-op. The idea that the shareholders would be willing to be homeless for a decade while they completely redevelop the site is absurd, no matter what sort of money they'd be making. Getting rid of the parking lot and replacing it with a garage and ground floor retail is the best we could hope for, and having a Whole Foods be part of it is even better than what we could have reasonably hoped for.

Posted on: 2016/5/6 15:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/5/7 3:26
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
I was hoping there would be more of a redevelopment of the site. I always thought WF would occupy a base of one of the new towers going up around town. Why have a stand alone store in what basically will be a strip mall.

Posted on: 2016/5/6 15:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I'll take my kale with extra chromium, thanks!

Posted on: 2016/5/6 15:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/7 17:48
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jcman420 wrote:
The NJ.com article states that this Whole Foods will be at the corner of "Marin and Columbus, which is not even really possible. As of now, the hulking monstrosity of a co-op tower is situated near the Marin/Columbus corner of the property. There is no way a 45k SF supermarket is fitting in that corner. So, the Whole Foods has to be going directly across Columbus from 70 Columbus, between the two Motropolis Towers, or at the corner of Marin and Montgomery.

It's going between the towers, which is a big parking lot at the moment, it's pretty damn close the intersection. I would expect there to be an entrance very near the corner of Columbus and Marin, and likely one on Montgomery as well.

Resized Image

Posted on: 2016/5/6 15:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/9 1:00
From Downtown JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Pinkf222 wrote:
Completely agree about Metropolis Towers - a horrible eyesore. Unfortunately, the renderings appear to show the towers in the background, so I don't think they're going anywhere.

Damn right it's going nowhere, just completed substantial renovations. I prefer Trop Towers over these sterile glass and steel building that all look the same.

Posted on: 2016/5/6 15:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/28 15:24
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/5/6 15:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

135jc wrote:
Geez, walk up Christopher left on Grove. Up Montgomery across van vorst. Up bright And all told under 10 min. Or u can theorize with Google maps for an hour. Your choice

I lived on Bright and Varick. It's more than a 10 minute walk and will be close to 15 if carrying groceries.

Posted on: 2016/5/6 14:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/22 2:50
Group:
Registered Users
The point is that shopping center has space. And parking!

Posted on: 2016/5/6 13:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

I_heart_JC wrote:
Quote:

135jc wrote:
Geez, walk up Christopher left on Grove. Up Montgomery across van vorst. Up bright And all told under 10 min. Or u can theorize with Google maps for an hour. Your choice

I used to make the walk from Grove PATH to that Pathmark plaza twice a week.

Google, crows, whatever. I can tell you, it's a real schlepp. (And I enjoy walking.)

Agreed. I used to live over in BeLa and used to do that walk all the time. Considering the ground distance, many turns, and intersections, no one is walking that distance in 10 minutes. And, come Summer, it gets worse because of the heat and humidity.

But, yeah, some people in here live in fantasy lands devoid of the laws of physics or logic. To think people would want to walk all the way there to then come back to DTJC to grab some groceries is just silly. With so many WF and TJ locations in NYC that are actually close to PATH stations, I am sure many potential customers would choose to pick up stuff over there and just bring it on the PATH with them to go straight home.

Posted on: 2016/5/6 11:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/22 6:01
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

135jc wrote:

I used to make the walk from Grove PATH to that Pathmark plaza twice a week.

Google, crows, whatever. I can tell you, it's a real schlepp. (And I enjoy walking.)

Posted on: 2016/5/6 6:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/5/6 4:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JerseyCityNj wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

135jc wrote:
Old colony shopping center is 1/2 mile from the Grove St path. Hardly unwalkable.

Not true, unless you are talking about distance as the crow flies. The distance from Grove Street PATH station to Old Colony is just shy of a mile, which is why people are not going to be walking all the way there to then back track. Google Maps walking directions.

It is close to half a mile, it just has to with how you entered it in to Google Maps. From Columbus and Grove to Monmouth and Bright is .6 miles. Google Maps take you the long way. I doubt you would walk that way if you was getting off the Path and take Grand. 15 minutes give or take no matter how you get there isn't a long walk regardless.

You must be one of those people that, when asked about his commute, only considers the time traveling from station to station. Measuring from the intersections of Columbus/Grove to Bright/Monmouth completely misses the point: the PATH exit is further in, and the entrance of what was Pathmark was certainly not at the intersection of Bright and Monmouth. You got one thing right, it's about 15 minutes walking. How many people are coming back from work and wanting to schlep 15 minutes out of their way to grocery shop and then walk another 10 or 15 minutes back while carrying groceries? I would sooner walk 5 minutes from the TriBeCa or 7th Avenue locations to the WTC or 23rd stations.

Posted on: 2016/5/6 4:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/26 19:42
From Chilltown, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

135jc wrote:
Old colony shopping center is 1/2 mile from the Grove St path. Hardly unwalkable.

Not true, unless you are talking about distance as the crow flies. The distance from Grove Street PATH station to Old Colony is just shy of a mile, which is why people are not going to be walking all the way there to then back track. Google Maps walking directions.

It is close to half a mile, it just has to with how you entered it in to Google Maps. From Columbus and Grove to Monmouth and Bright is .6 miles. Google Maps take you the long way. I doubt you would walk that way if you was getting off the Path and take Grand. 15 minutes give or take no matter how you get there isn't a long walk regardless.

Posted on: 2016/5/6 0:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

I_heart_JC wrote:
Quote:

MikeyTBC wrote:
Quote:

dr_nick_riviera wrote:
I really hope this summer brings an end to downtown being a grocery desert for those that don't own a car.

You're kidding right?

Key Foods, Shop Rite, Tender Shoot, that friendly Korean grocer on Bay Street, the place across from La Conguita....

downtown is hardly the Sahara.

For whatever reason, there is this misconception that DTJC is a grocery store dessert, but that is way, way off. In addition to Shoprite and BJs, there is the Conga Supermarket (which is surprisingly vast in its stock, and available produce) plus the various small Korean grocers, and there is also that new organic place over Union Republic, Subia's, and not too far from DTJC there is Hudson Greene Market in PH and Morton Williams in Newport.

Posted on: 2016/5/5 21:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/22 6:01
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MikeyTBC wrote:
Quote:

dr_nick_riviera wrote:
I really hope this summer brings an end to downtown being a grocery desert for those that don't own a car.

You're kidding right?

Key Foods, Shop Rite, Tender Shoot, that friendly Korean grocer on Bay Street, the place across from La Conguita....

downtown is hardly the Sahara.

Posted on: 2016/5/5 21:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/9 11:15
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:

In case you haven't heard, a 99 Ranch is what is replacing the Pathmark spot. Should definitely be an asset.

I don't know how big the old Pathmark was but they usually open large stores, think Asian Food with a restaurant.
Their stores in CA are huge they are also opening a store in Hackensack.

Posted on: 2016/5/5 21:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

135jc wrote:

Quote:

Hopefully whatever finally gets built there will be an asset to the neighborhood.

In case you haven't heard, a 99 Ranch is what is replacing the Pathmark spot. Should definitely be an asset.

Posted on: 2016/5/5 20:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
They just reinforced the balconys maybe they will reface them eventually. Old colony shopping center is 1/2 mile from the Grove St path. Hardly unwalkable. Hopefully whatever finally gets built there will be an asset to the neighborhood. As for liberty harbor I would not hold your breath. There is still nothing happening at the tilted kilt spot or the retail space under gulls cove that was to be Sawa

Posted on: 2016/5/5 19:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/9/29 17:41
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dr_nick_riviera wrote:

You're kidding right?

Posted on: 2016/5/5 19:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/3 18:37
From DTJC
Group:
Banned
From what I've heard, the building that's part of Liberty Harbor North that's going up at Jersey and Grand (across the street from Brownstone Diner) is supposed to have 20k retail square footage and some sort of upscale grocery store was planned - there could be room for a Trader Joe's. Anybody hear any updates on what's ultimately planned for that building?

We've also got the Sunac Natural Market coming in at 70 Columbus and (hopefully) 99 Ranch is still planned to open up where the Pathmark was.

Posted on: 2016/5/5 18:23

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/26 18:36
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Completely agree about Metropolis Towers - a horrible eyesore. Unfortunately, the renderings appear to show the towers in the background, so I don't think they're going anywhere.

Posted on: 2016/5/5 17:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

07310 wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Quote:

nafco wrote:
so what happens to this thread now? its by far one of the longest running, most popular threads on this site. "2nd Whole Foods in JC?"

Nothing will happen, it will be soon filled with all the complainers crying they did not have my gluten free (insert some food that no one eats here) or some check out girl/boy was rude. The usual JClist shit. Fortunately I don't plan to be in JC in 2020, enjoy.

The next stage is all the people who will say the prices are too high and want to start a boycott of WF to bring the prices down to a level they can afford.

HA!!! and that too

Posted on: 2016/5/5 17:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/4/21 14:20
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
Stringer wrote:

Whole Foods opening Jersey City location in 2020

By Terrence T. McDonald | The Jersey Journal
Email the author | Follow on Twitter
on May 04, 2016 at 5:06 PM, updated May 04, 2016 at 8:47 PM

Whole Foods is coming to Jersey City.

The upscale supermarket announced this afternoon that it will open a market near the Grove Street PATH station in 2020.

Plans are for a 45,000-square-foot Whole Foods Market on the site of Metropolis Towers, at Columbus Drive and Marin Boulevard. That's more than twice the size of the Whole Foods in Montclair, one of Whole Foods' 15 New Jersey locations.

Read more:  http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... ity_location_opening.html

sht just got real! best new so far this year!!! so happy the metropolis tower next to it is really ghetto though, i wonder if they going to demolish it.

Posted on: 2016/5/5 17:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/9 11:15
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Quote:

nafco wrote:
so what happens to this thread now? its by far one of the longest running, most popular threads on this site. "2nd Whole Foods in JC?"

Nothing will happen, it will be soon filled with all the complainers crying they did not have my gluten free (insert some food that no one eats here) or some check out girl/boy was rude. The usual JClist shit. Fortunately I don't plan to be in JC in 2020, enjoy.

The next stage is all the people who will say the prices are too high and want to start a boycott of WF to bring the prices down to a level they can afford.

Posted on: 2016/5/5 17:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

nafco wrote:

Posted on: 2016/5/5 16:56

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 ... 31 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017