Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
126 user(s) are online (112 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 126

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 »

Re: Snow
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

PathH8Tr wrote:
Huh? If we applied this logic to everything it would just reflect as self entitlement. What happened to personal responsibility?
[quote]
Vigilante wrote:
Yes, the Hamilton Park entrances always have tons of salt piled around them. I walk the dogs straight onto the lawns whether they're "Pet Free" or not. If they put that corrosive crap on the sidewalks then TOO F***ing Bad my dogs are going wherever I like.

It's a snow covered lawn. Do people really think that a dog can damage a snow covered lawn? We walk over it, pick up the poop and enjoy the park. No big deal.

Posted on: 2014/1/4 19:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
The City ordinance also clearly states:

B. It shall be lawful to use rock salt for the melting of snow upon streets and sidewalks.

You would be hard pressed to prove that any other commercially available ice melt used was the cause of any dog's injury, over and above rock salt that the city and a lot of residents use. As far as safe ice melts go - sand, cat litter, urea-based "pet-friendly" melts, brine, are all probably safer, but either more expensive or not as effective as rock salt/commercial melts.

Doubt if anyone ever has been fined under this ordinance. Most residents care about avoiding litigation over personal injury, and don't really care about litigation over dog injury (property damage) - which would be very difficult to prove. I doubt much resident habits and City policy will change - which is why it's down to the dog owner's personal responsibility imo.

Quote:

jklm wrote:
My dog has always worn booties in the winter - so I do take personal responsibility.
But the city states clearly in its own municipal code

A. No person shall sprinkle, spread or scatter any substance harmful to the health of the inhabitants or injurious to animals upon any sidewalk covered with snow or ice.

The huge chunks of salt on sidewalks are harmful to animals without booties.

What does everyone use in front of their property? Any recommendations on what substance to sprinkle, spread or scatter that isn't injurious to animals?

Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Quote:

jklm wrote:
What does the city put on the roads and sidewalks to melt the ice?
B. It shall be lawful to use rock salt for the melting of snow upon streets and sidewalks.

Rock salt is what the city uses and what mostly hurts dog's paws. Don't think that will change anytime soon. If you're walking your dog on salted streets and sidewalks, wash their paws as soon as you get home. And if they have trouble during the walk, get them booties. Take personal responsibility for your dog's welfare.

Posted on: 2014/1/4 17:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/7/1 19:35
Group:
Registered Users
My dog has always worn booties in the winter - so I do take personal responsibility.
But the city states clearly in its own municipal code

A. No person shall sprinkle, spread or scatter any substance harmful to the health of the inhabitants or injurious to animals upon any sidewalk covered with snow or ice.

The huge chunks of salt on sidewalks are harmful to animals without booties.

What does everyone use in front of their property? Any recommendations on what substance to sprinkle, spread or scatter that isn't injurious to animals?

Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Quote:

jklm wrote:

Rock salt is what the city uses and what mostly hurts dog's paws. Don't think that will change anytime soon. If you're walking your dog on salted streets and sidewalks, wash their paws as soon as you get home. And if they have trouble during the walk, get them booties. Take personal responsibility for your dog's welfare.

Posted on: 2014/1/4 17:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/31 23:18
Group:
Registered Users
Huh? If we applied this logic to everything it would just reflect as self entitlement. What happened to personal responsibility?
[quote]
Vigilante wrote:
Yes, the Hamilton Park entrances always have tons of salt piled around them. I walk the dogs straight onto the lawns whether they're "Pet Free" or not. If they put that corrosive crap on the sidewalks then TOO F***ing Bad my dogs are going wherever I like.

Posted on: 2014/1/4 17:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jklm wrote:

Posted on: 2014/1/4 17:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:

And what makes this day different from all other days that you ignore the pet laws?

Posted on: 2014/1/4 17:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned

Quote:

jklm wrote:
There are times I have to carry my dog across the street or through the neighborhood because the crystals put on the sidewalks and streets burn or hurt his paws.

according to Municipal code:

http://library.municode.com/HTML/1609 ... SNICRE_S296-5DEHASUPRROSA

296-5. Deposit of harmful substances prohibited; rock salt.

Posted on: 2014/1/4 16:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/7/1 19:35
Group:
Registered Users
There are times I have to carry my dog across the street or through the neighborhood because the crystals put on the sidewalks and streets burn or hurt his paws.

according to Municipal code:

http://library.municode.com/HTML/1609 ... SNICRE_S296-5DEHASUPRROSA

296-5. Deposit of harmful substances prohibited; rock salt.

Posted on: 2014/1/4 15:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
I have cars parking on my block all the time that leave 6,8,10 feet between themselves and the next car. I wait till a car moves then I snug my car up right on their bumper. I'm also one of the few who makes an effort and will move my car to open a new space for the next guy.

Posted on: 2014/1/3 20:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
My laugh of the day was when a guy threatened to call the cops because my snowblower got some snow on his yet to be shoveled out POS Focus as I was clearing my driveway. I told him go ahead, and tried to explain a snowblower is not a surgical instrument.

Posted on: 2014/1/3 20:05

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/11/5 3:11
From DTJC
Group:
Registered Users
yeah i could shovel a new spot. that would be the easiest and most ideal. unfortunately i can't pick up the car and move it haha.

as for the car taking up two spots. looking out my window there's a car parked by the hydrant. a good distance from the hydrant not to get a ticket but at least 3/4 of a car ahead of it to move forward if shoveled. you can easily fit two cars in that spot if the car moved forward and still not get a ticket for being too close to the hydrant.

instead of venting here i'll let my shovel do the talking and go outside and shovel that 3/4 of a car space in hopes that car moves forward.

Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

soupydumplings wrote:
it's not that i feel like i'm entitled to the spot i cleaned. someone else can have it. I just don't want to be driving around for an hour looking for a spot when there's a car parked on the street that's snowed in and taking two spots.

it's bad enough the cops take the street parking when they have a parking lot right around the corner.

Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Apparently, soupydumplings feels he is entitled to the spot he has left after clearing out his way. Some parts of the country (Southie, Philly and even Pittsburgh) have long, storied pasts of parking wars related to spots cleared after a storm. Heck, from what I have read, some people have been on the wrong end of a beating for daring to occupy a spot cleared by someone else.

Here is a related article from the NYT: Snowstorm Parking Wars

How is it taking two spots? Because there's snow around it? Couldn't you just shovel out a new spot? (A pain, I know, but snow is annoying for most.)

Posted on: 2014/1/3 19:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/5 16:38
Group:
Banned
If someone doesn't shovel their sidewalk, is it wrong to do it for them but pile it up against their front door?

Posted on: 2014/1/3 19:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/8 17:09
Group:
Registered Users
Perhaps a "Shovel Your F%$ng Sidewalk" Hall of Shame thread is in order.

143 Mercer, corner unit with two long sidewalks is a current contender.

Posted on: 2014/1/3 19:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

soupydumplings wrote:
it's not that i feel like i'm entitled to the spot i cleaned. someone else can have it. I just don't want to be driving around for an hour looking for a spot when there's a car parked on the street that's snowed in and taking two spots.

it's bad enough the cops take the street parking when they have a parking lot right around the corner.

Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Apparently, soupydumplings feels he is entitled to the spot he has left after clearing out his way. Some parts of the country (Southie, Philly and even Pittsburgh) have long, storied pasts of parking wars related to spots cleared after a storm. Heck, from what I have read, some people have been on the wrong end of a beating for daring to occupy a spot cleared by someone else.

How is it taking two spots? Because there's snow around it? Couldn't you just shovel out a new spot? (A pain, I know, but snow is annoying for most.)

Posted on: 2014/1/3 19:20

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
From DTJC
Group:
Registered Users

Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:

Posted on: 2014/1/3 19:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
In South Philly it's usually not a big deal, because some streets havz e half the spots reserved with bogus handicap markers. Others get a cone or lawn chair placed to 'reserve' the spot for the person who shoveled.

Culture's gonna cult, but this tradition doesn't have any rationality behind it.

In the suburbs people get crazy when neighbors park in front of someone else's house instead of their own.

Posted on: 2014/1/3 18:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
In South Philly it's usually not a big deal, because some streets have half the spots reserved with bogus handicap markers. Others get a cone or lawn chair placed to 'reserve' the spot for the person who shoveled.

Culture's gonna cult, but this tradition doesn't have any rationality behind it.

Posted on: 2014/1/3 18:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
In South Philly it's usually not a big deal, because some streets have half the spots reserved with bogus handicap markers. Others get a cone or lawn chair placed to 'reserve' the spot for the person who shoveled.

Posted on: 2014/1/3 18:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/1/3 18:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

soupydumplings wrote:
is it just me or do you guys/gals get frustrated when people don't clean up their parking spots?

temperatures are suppose to drop so the snow is going to inevitably freeze, making it much harder to shovel, especially the plowed snow thats been pushed up against your car.

I'm on 7th street where parking is limited. God forbid I have to go somewhere, lose my parking spot, come back to someone in the spot i was parked in that took me an hour to clean, and then have to circle around hoping for a parking spot.

Granted i don't have work till Monday so there's still hope. Am I missing something or are people just that lazy.

I don't understand what your gripe is?

Posted on: 2014/1/3 18:19

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
From DTJC
Group:
Registered Users
is it just me or do you guys/gals get frustrated when people don't clean up their parking spots?

temperatures are suppose to drop so the snow is going to inevitably freeze, making it much harder to shovel, especially the plowed snow thats been pushed up against your car.

I'm on 7th street where parking is limited. God forbid I have to go somewhere, lose my parking spot, come back to someone in the spot i was parked in that took me an hour to clean, and then have to circle around hoping for a parking spot.

Granted i don't have work till Monday so there's still hope. Am I missing something or are people just that lazy.

Posted on: 2014/1/3 18:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/22 20:18
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Anyone have any contacts for shoveling a driveway that you know or have offered?

Posted on: 2014/1/3 17:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/17 13:40
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
While not referencing me, an old girlfriend used to say 'weathermen are like all other men. They promise you nine inches, and you're lucky to get five'.

:)

LOL That made my morning!

BTW - while the weathermen didn't deliver as much as promised, it seems JC and NJT did - bus routes pretty well plowed (pun unavoidable...); extra #87 busses added going to JSQ and Greenville - I've noticed they have started adding fresh busses to the run at Palisade and Franklin Street.

Only aggravation this AM from - no surprise here - PATH. 1010WINS had PATH running on a normal schedule, upon getting to JSQ it was a 10 minute schedule.

Posted on: 2014/1/3 15:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/11/20 23:45
From gone
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

La_Verdad wrote:
Quote:

Bike_Lane wrote:
Quote:

neverleft wrote:
When did we start naming winter storms?]

We don't. The Weather Channel started it as a publicity stunt to get more clicks on their site. Nobody else (National Weather Service, NOAA, etc.) uses these stupid names.

The Jersey Journal does, too.

Ok, no reputable source of weather data or news uses the stupid names. :)

Posted on: 2014/1/3 2:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Not that it matters -- but Newark Ave doesn't go to Marin -- perhaps you can make a case for Columbus -- but not for Marin.

Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Resized Image

Posted on: 2014/1/3 0:57

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
From DTJC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Quote:

Annod wrote:
Governor Andrew Cuomo said that the Long Island Expressway will close at midnight. Did anyone hear from Christie yet?

He'll probably declare a state of emergency, and call anyone who tries to drive during the storm an idiot. And he'll be right!

good prediction...cause christie just declared a state of emergency

Posted on: 2014/1/3 0:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/1/27 22:17
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Just received the call : All Jersey City Public Schools will be closed tomorrow

Posted on: 2014/1/3 0:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/1 9:09
From Southern JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

neverleft wrote:
When did we start naming winter storms?

Good God I dread winter storm Caligula.

Posted on: 2014/1/3 0:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/12 15:20
From Downtown Ex Pat happy in McGinley Sq.
Group:
Registered Users
OH MY GOD...ITS GONNA SNOW!!!!!!!!

(Be safe with the mega low temps, everyone. That's the scary part)

Posted on: 2014/1/3 0:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/24 18:05
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
too funny...

Winter Storm Names 2013-14: What They Are and What They Mean