Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
75 user(s) are online (71 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 75

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 8 »

Re: Gay marriage advocates lobby to override Christie's veto
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
Last August, I went to JoAnn Fabrics, there are no decent fabric and notions stores closeby. So I stopped at the Paramus Mall, when I was finished. I saw a line at Chick fil a, honestly I forgot about the incident until I saw the line. The place was packed. Same sex activist used the courts because they were afraid of scenes like this. I don't buy the argument that the public wants this. http://www.nj.com/bergen/index.ssf/20 ... a_to_counter_boycott.html

Posted on: 2013/10/11 0:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 19:48
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/10/10 23:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/5 18:27
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
One activist low level judge issues a ruling which won't hold up in court. Meh. Now if Obama said gay marriage was a civil right then we'd have something to talk about. But he's always insisted it isn't, and has said it's a decision to be made on the state level.

And here is how the states stand.

http://www.nj.com/politics/index.ssf/ ... html#incart_river_default

The term 'activist judge' always makes me laugh. It's funny because the term is only used when a ruling goes in the favor of the positions of liberals.

Did you cry 'activist judge' when the courts allowed banks and investment companies to merge which ultimately lead to the disaster economy?

Heck, I'd even wonder if you'd argue it was 'activist judges' that ruled on Brown v. Board of Ed in 1954?

I think it's quite sad that many in this nation are no longer in favor of this country and this nation growing stronger. Instead they'd rather score some political points; have their side win.

Marriage, something that has been a state institution for as long as marriage has existed across the history of time, is just a contract between two people. Sure enough the party of "small government" and "personal liberty" and "no government interference" has to weigh in and go against their very principles. They have to try and quash the rights of citizens because the Christian conservatives are bigoted against homosexuals.

Sadly, people would rather pick a political party over progress.

Posted on: 2013/9/30 16:40
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/1/27 22:17
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
your god and religion is really pretty lame to care about gays and gay marriage with all the shit that's going on in the universe

Quote:

PathH8Tr wrote:
Quote:

rescuelife wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
To others:
I am not a cafeteria Catholic, I do not pick and choose what the Church says, I believe it is guided by the Holy Spirit. For those who believe differently, that is between you and God. I am talking about my right under the First Amendment, which everyone on this forum ignores, to practice my religion without being sued. That is all I care about. I will not throw mud or attack people who believe in gay marriage. That is not my agenda. I feel sorry for those who resort to those things. And when I present my ideas I do not hide behind phony names, I have the courage to use my real name. That is a gift from my faith, to be honest in the things I believe. And I will never, never, attack someone family's member.

"I will not throw mud or attack people who believe in gay marriage... I will just judge you and think you are wrong for not subscribing to the rituals and gods I was raised to believe, and I will lobby the government to conform to my particular rituals and gods as well, because in my opinion I am right and you are wrong for not believing in my gods and my rituals"
+1

Posted on: 2013/9/29 3:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/31 23:18
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

rescuelife wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
To others:
I am not a cafeteria Catholic, I do not pick and choose what the Church says, I believe it is guided by the Holy Spirit. For those who believe differently, that is between you and God. I am talking about my right under the First Amendment, which everyone on this forum ignores, to practice my religion without being sued. That is all I care about. I will not throw mud or attack people who believe in gay marriage. That is not my agenda. I feel sorry for those who resort to those things. And when I present my ideas I do not hide behind phony names, I have the courage to use my real name. That is a gift from my faith, to be honest in the things I believe. And I will never, never, attack someone family's member.

"I will not throw mud or attack people who believe in gay marriage... I will just judge you and think you are wrong for not subscribing to the rituals and gods I was raised to believe, and I will lobby the government to conform to my particular rituals and gods as well, because in my opinion I am right and you are wrong for not believing in my gods and my rituals"
+1

Posted on: 2013/9/28 23:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/28 15:24
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Our country invaded Iraq in order to bring democracy and to overthrow a dictator. Well it appears, one person, called a judge has imposed a law, even though law making is left to the legislative branch of government. Isn't that what we call a dictator? Why don't we save money, stop elections, and allow a judge to pick our president, governor, mayor, and continue to write all laws?

You have to be kidding me. For someone who seems to constantly harp on her involvement in local politics, your demonstrated ignorance of basic civics here is appalling.

You do understand the role of the federal and state constitutions in America, don't you? You're essentially advocating for for the legislature to be unbound by the core rights guaranteed by the constitution-- i.e., act as the "dictator" you claim to be so against.

You can disagree with the judge's interpretation of the constitution until you're blue in the face, but are you seriously questioning the court's authority to review the legality of legislation? If so, it sounds like you're the one who's against democracy.

Posted on: 2013/9/28 20:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
why do people care so much about this non-issue?

Myself, being happily married for 26 years, considers it an honor that gays and lesbians would also want to be married. It gives more strength and meaning to the institution of marriage.

and before anyone answers that - I read this in last week's copy of TIME:

a question for Richard Dawkins:
given how little we know about the universe, how can we possibly be sure there is no God?

Answer: There are all sorts of things we can't be sure of - we can't be sure there are no leprechauns and fairies. Science in the future is going to be revealing all sorts of things in which we have no idea of at the present, but it's extremely unlikely that it would happen to home in on an idea from a Bronze Age tribe in the desert.

Posted on: 2013/9/28 3:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
One activist low level judge issues a ruling which won't hold up in court. Meh. Now if Obama said gay marriage was a civil right then we'd have something to talk about. But he's always insisted it isn't, and has said it's a decision to be made on the state level.

And here is how the states stand.

http://www.nj.com/politics/index.ssf/ ... html#incart_river_default

Posted on: 2013/9/28 3:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Our country invaded Iraq in order to bring democracy and to overthrow a dictator. Well it appears, one person, called a judge has imposed a law, even though law making is left to the legislative branch of government. Isn't that what we call a dictator? Why don't we save money, stop elections, and allow a judge to pick our president, governor, mayor, and continue to write all laws?

No. Seriously. Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaattt?

Posted on: 2013/9/28 2:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/13 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:

LMAO

LMAO +1000

Poor poor Yvonne !

Posted on: 2013/9/28 2:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/11/4 21:55
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
If Yvonne took the 7th grade course again, she might also have an opportunity to correct some of the "gut-reflexes" she acquired during these times about "these" people and hopefully start to understand the difference between perception and projection.

Posted on: 2013/9/28 1:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/11/20 23:45
From gone
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:

Please take 7th grade Civics over again.

Resized Image

Posted on: 2013/9/27 22:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Our country invaded Iraq in order to bring democracy and to overthrow a dictator.

No, that's not why they did it.

Posted on: 2013/9/27 22:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/20 19:08
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:

I believe you are only 1 more degree away from 9/11 and then you'll be two degrees away from Osama Bin Laden.

I've never seen gay marriage linked to Osama Bin laden but if anyone can do it, I'm sure you can.

Posted on: 2013/9/27 22:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:

LMAO

Posted on: 2013/9/27 21:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/9/27 21:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/5 18:27
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

terrencemcd wrote:
Hudson County reacts to NJ judge's gay marriage ruling

By Terrence T. McDonald/The Jersey Journal

Gay rights advocates in Hudson County reacted with glee to a state judge?s ruling that same-sex couples can get legally married starting Oct. 21.

Superior Court Judge Mary Jacobson?s ruling, which is expected to be appealed by Gov. Chris Christie?s administration, is ?a great thing,? said Ray Velazquez Jr., an attorney for the county and the first openly gay man to sit on the county freeholder board and on Jersey City?s City Council.

?It?s about time,? said Velazquez. ?I only hope that the appellate decision denies any stay of this order pending appeal and New Jersey comes to terms with the fact that gay marriage is necessary.?

READ MORE

That right there tells you everything you need to know about the man. While running a state that is quite bankrupt, he'll create future debt for its citizens by taking funds and dump them into preventing citizens equal rights. The man is repulsive.

However, come October 21st, I'll be more than happy to officiate anyone wishing to get married...

Posted on: 2013/9/27 19:50
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
NYT
A New Jersey judge ruled Friday that the state must allow same-sex couples to marry, since failing to do so would deprive them of rights that are now guaranteed by the federal government.

The decision will most likely be challenged by Gov. Chris Christie, who has publicly opposed gay marriage.

The judge, Mary C. Jacobson of State Superior Court, ruled that under its Constitution, New Jersey must allow marriage in light of the United States Supreme Court?s decision in June striking down the federal Defense of Marriage Act.

?The ineligibility of same-sex couples for federal benefits is currently harming same-sex couples in New jersey in a wide range of contexts,? she wrote.

For instance, civil union partners who are federal employees living in New Jersey are not eligible for rights in regard to the federal pension system.

It is the first time a court has struck down a state ban on same-sex marriage as a direct result of the Supreme Court?s ruling.

Judge Jacobson?s opinion, which the state may move to appeal, said that same-sex marriages would be allowed starting next month.

The opinion was provided in a summary judgment in a case brought by Garden State Equality, a gay rights advocacy group.

?Same-sex couples must be allowed to marry in order to obtain equal protection of the law under the New Jersey Constitution,? she wrote.

This article has been revised to reflect the following correction:

Correction: September 27, 2013

An earlier version of this article misspelled the surname of the judge who ruled in the same-sex marriage case. She is Mary C. Jacobson, not Jacobsen.

Posted on: 2013/9/27 19:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/2/6 21:56
Group:
Registered Users
Hudson County reacts to NJ judge's gay marriage ruling

By Terrence T. McDonald/The Jersey Journal

Gay rights advocates in Hudson County reacted with glee to a state judge?s ruling that same-sex couples can get legally married starting Oct. 21.

Superior Court Judge Mary Jacobson?s ruling, which is expected to be appealed by Gov. Chris Christie?s administration, is ?a great thing,? said Ray Velazquez Jr., an attorney for the county and the first openly gay man to sit on the county freeholder board and on Jersey City?s City Council.

?It?s about time,? said Velazquez. ?I only hope that the appellate decision denies any stay of this order pending appeal and New Jersey comes to terms with the fact that gay marriage is necessary.?

READ MORE

Posted on: 2013/9/27 19:41

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/8/23 19:32
From hamilton park
Group:
Registered Users
http://www.nj.com/politics/index.ssf/ ... veto_override_effort.html

N.J. legislators inching toward override of Christie's gay marriage veto

Ryan Hutchins/The Star-Ledger By Ryan Hutchins/The Star-Ledger

September 23, 2013

TRENTON ? Under the din of a bustling election season, there?s a quiet movement afoot to make gay marriage a reality in New Jersey by the end of the year.
Advocates have been working to convince state lawmakers ? including a number of Republicans ? that they should cross Gov. Chris Christie and override his veto of a bill (S1) that would legalize same-sex marriage. The state currently allows civil unions, and Christie maintains same-sex marriage should be decided by a voter referendum.
The effort to override Christie is still an uphill battle: In the Assembly, advocates need 12 more lawmakers to vote for an override than those who voted for the original bill. Three more votes are needed in the Senate. And the clock is ticking, with the legislative session ending in January.
But with new pledges to vote for an override ? and a lame-duck Legislative session approaching ? there are signs the gap is shrinking.

State Sen. Raymond Lesniak (D-Union), a supporter of same-sex marriage, says he has been given commitments for enough votes in the Senate, and lawmakers and advocates are still pressing to find them in the Assembly.
In the lower house, Assemblyman Declan O?Scanlon (R-Monmouth) missed the vote on the bill last year. He has committed to voting for an override.
Assemblywoman Holly Schepisi (R-Bergen), also absent during the vote, said she would vote in favor of an override, indicating she had been swayed by the U.S. Supreme Court?s decision to strike down the Defense of Marriage Act.
The court?s ruling will be key in convincing others, said Jeff Cook-McCormac, the senior adviser to the American Unity Fund, which is focused on convincing GOP lawmakers across the country to support same-sex marriage.
"It?s giving them a reason to re-think it," Cook-McCormac said of the court decision.
At least two more Democrats have indicated a willingness to back an override.
Assemblywoman Gabriela Mosquera (D-Camden), who was not a legislator last year, will vote for an override, said Carol Murphy, her spokeswoman. And Assemblyman Wayne DeAngelo (D-Hamilton) said he may support an override but continues to listen to constituents.. He said the response has been evenly split.
SEEKING GOP SUPPORT
Advocates say they are hoping Assemblywoman Mary Pat Angelini (R-Ocean), who did not vote on the bill, will support an override. She did not return a call for comment.
Cook-McCormac said it is possible to convince more Republicans to support gay marriage because "the question is a little clearer than it was" last year.
"I think the first thing is recognizing that the circumstances have changed considerably in New Jersey," he said, adding that the Supreme Court?s decision makes it clear that civil unions do not provide equal benefits to marriage and polls show gay marriage is supported by most New Jerseyans. "By getting them directly in touch with their representatives we are letting legislators know where their constituents stand," he said.
Len Deo, president of the New Jersey Family Policy Council, said his group is part of a coalition ? including the National Organization for Marriage and the New Jersey Catholic Conference ? that is lobbying legislators to vote against the override attempt.
"We?re working right now. The marriage coalition has been gathering and talking about opposition work to keep marriage as the union of a man and a woman," said Deo.
"I don?t think it?s going to be an easy push for (gay marriage supporters), but it?s going to be a battle for both sides," he said.
Meanwhile, a state Superior Court judge heard arguments last month over a lawsuit by six couples and Garden State Equality alleging civil unions fail to provide benefits equal to those afforded by marriage. The judge may rule soon, but the case is likely to be appealed to the state Supreme Court.
Lesniak said the Supreme Court could act before the Legislature has a chance to vote on an override, but that will have no impact on the effort to sway lawmakers. "We?re not going to give up on any avenue to get marriage equality done as soon as possible," he said.
Star-Ledger staff writer Matt Friedman contributed to this report.

Posted on: 2013/9/23 15:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

?It is not necessary to talk about these issues all the time,? the pope told the Rev. Antonio Spadaro, a fellow Jesuit and editor in chief of La Civilt? Cattolica, the Italian Jesuit journal whose content is routinely approved by the Vatican. ?The dogmatic and moral teachings of the church are not all equivalent. The church?s pastoral ministry cannot be obsessed with the transmission of a disjointed multitude of doctrines to be imposed insistently.

"If you don't know what you're talking about, stfu". Brilliant!

Posted on: 2013/9/20 3:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

K-Lo wrote:
I don't think it's necessary to mock anyone's deeply held religious beliefs to maintain that those beliefs do not provide carte blanche to override others rights. The rights of one group conflict with the rights of others on a regular basis and the courts have always used a balancing to sort things out. The First amendment is not an absolute.

Why not? it's the same as believing in the a political party, or environmentalism, Socialism, or Satanism, or anything else for that matter. "Deeply Held" Religious beliefs is the most dangerous thinking in the planet. It has the "backing" of a very powerful being.

Posted on: 2013/9/19 22:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Every religion has extreme views or have a strict 'orthodox' code for individuals to abide by.

I'm sure yvonne would be aware of her legal obligation when providing any service to the community. If not, she would have been sued, fired or up to her neck in litigation.

Obviously yvonne's utopia to living her life is the more orthodox approach to her chosen religious beliefs.

I'm sure Muslims, Hindus and even Jews have an extreme orthodox version that would rub others the wrong way.

Religion is often a taboo subject at dinner parties and yvonne should exercise that option on JClist.!

Posted on: 2013/9/19 22:24
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
The Pope said basically everything stays the same, but let's try and be softer in our approach to widen the audience of the Church-to bring more people into our fold to follow our beliefs. Brilliant!

Posted on: 2013/9/19 21:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/20 19:08
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
. He also expanded on the comments he made about homosexuality in July, on an airplane returning to Rome from Rio de Janeiro, where he had celebrated World Youth Day. In a remark then that produced headlines worldwide, the new pope said, ?Who am I to judge?? At the time, some questioned whether he was referring only to gays in the priesthood, but in this interview he made clear that he had been speaking of gays and lesbians in general. ?A person once asked me, in a provocative manner, if I approved of homosexuality,? he told Father Spadaro. ?I replied with another question: ?Tell me: when God looks at a gay person, does he endorse the existence of this person with love, or reject and condemn this person?? We must always consider the person.?

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/20/wor ... and-abortion.html?hp&_r=0

Pope Francis says "Who Am I to Judge" while Yvonne judges by denying them services any other type of person would receive...nice

Posted on: 2013/9/19 20:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
When Pope Francis cracks open the door to women, then I'll believe something has actually changed. Right now, all I'm hearing is that "we shouldn't be talking about these issues so much." Talk versus action.

Posted on: 2013/9/19 19:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

K-Lo wrote:
I don't think it's necessary to mock anyone's deeply held religious beliefs to maintain that those beliefs do not provide carte blanche to override others rights. The rights of one group conflict with the rights of others on a regular basis and the courts have always used a balancing to sort things out. The First amendment is not an absolute.

Mocking anyone's religious beliefs, no. Mocking the selective application of those beliefs to justify prejudice and discrimination, yes.

PS: Pope Francis seems to get it.

Posted on: 2013/9/19 18:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/9/5 2:01
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Damn it - you beat me to it!

YVONNE - you can change your ways!! The Pope says its OK!

*hugs*

Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Pope Francis, in the first extensive interview of his six-month-old papacy, said that the Roman Catholic church had grown ?obsessed? with preaching about abortion, gay marriage and contraception, and that he has chosen not to speak of those issues despite recriminations from some critics.
In remarkably blunt language, Francis sought to set a new tone for the church, saying it should be a ?home for all? and not a ?small chapel? focused on doctrine, orthodoxy and a limited agenda of moral teachings.

?It is not necessary to talk about these issues all the time,? the pope told the Rev. Antonio Spadaro, a fellow Jesuit and editor in chief of La Civilt? Cattolica, the Italian Jesuit journal whose content is routinely approved by the Vatican. ?The dogmatic and moral teachings of the church are not all equivalent. The church?s pastoral ministry cannot be obsessed with the transmission of a disjointed multitude of doctrines to be imposed insistently.

?We have to find a new balance,? the pope continued, ?otherwise even the moral edifice of the church is likely to fall like a house of cards, losing the freshness and fragrance of the Gospel.?

Posted on: 2013/9/19 18:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Pope Francis, in the first extensive interview of his six-month-old papacy, said that the Roman Catholic church had grown ?obsessed? with preaching about abortion, gay marriage and contraception, and that he has chosen not to speak of those issues despite recriminations from some critics.
In remarkably blunt language, Francis sought to set a new tone for the church, saying it should be a ?home for all? and not a ?small chapel? focused on doctrine, orthodoxy and a limited agenda of moral teachings.

?We have to find a new balance,? the pope continued, ?otherwise even the moral edifice of the church is likely to fall like a house of cards, losing the freshness and fragrance of the Gospel.?

Posted on: 2013/9/19 15:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/9/19 15:31

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 8 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017