Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
72 user(s) are online (62 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 72

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 8 »

Re: Bright St. Redevepment Plan - Ward E Councilperson's Comments and Position
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/11/8 21:51
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
Quote:

Atsushi wrote:
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
Quote:

Atsushi wrote:
My wife and I own a condo unit across York Street from VVP. So I don't think we will be directly affected by this development. But if most of the new tenants own cars, parking will become much more difficult, and that would suck big time.

Can the city keep the tenants of this apartment from obtaining parking permit? If so, that would be great for us, but that doesn't sound fair to people who will live in that building.... I hope they will be informed of the situation before signing the lease.

If a Whole Foods opened in your area without a dedicated parking lot, would you be against it?

To me personally, this IS a parking issue. I don't know about other people, but I care less about neighborhood character issue or density issue...although I understand why people don't like it to change.

If it's up to me, I would not put this micro apartment building without dedicated parking garage because if it doesn't have parking for the residents (and if most of them have cars), it would make my parking more difficult (I don't think there is anyone who disagrees on that).

If a Whole Foods open at this location, I would probably be against that too for the same reason.

But at the same time, I'm not arguing that I am entitled a spot to park. I also understand some people argue that we should not have a car if it is difficult to park. Practically speaking, getting rid of a car is not possible for my current work situation, so if parking does because much harder than it is now, I will have to pay for it or will have to consider moving. I don't like either option, but I may have to do that eventually with or without this particular building.

The point is nobody wants their lives to get more difficult, and I think that it is okay to argue from a selfish point of view.

Question - do you care more about making your life more convenient or having the value of your condo go up?

If you put it like that, I care about both. But either way, if I oppose this, which I do, it's for completely selfish reasons.

Posted on: 2013/11/11 19:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
Quote:

Atsushi wrote:
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
Quote:

Atsushi wrote:
My wife and I own a condo unit across York Street from VVP. So I don't think we will be directly affected by this development. But if most of the new tenants own cars, parking will become much more difficult, and that would suck big time.

Can the city keep the tenants of this apartment from obtaining parking permit? If so, that would be great for us, but that doesn't sound fair to people who will live in that building.... I hope they will be informed of the situation before signing the lease.

If a Whole Foods opened in your area without a dedicated parking lot, would you be against it?

To me personally, this IS a parking issue. I don't know about other people, but I care less about neighborhood character issue or density issue...although I understand why people don't like it to change.

If it's up to me, I would not put this micro apartment building without dedicated parking garage because if it doesn't have parking for the residents (and if most of them have cars), it would make my parking more difficult (I don't think there is anyone who disagrees on that).

If a Whole Foods open at this location, I would probably be against that too for the same reason.

But at the same time, I'm not arguing that I am entitled a spot to park. I also understand some people argue that we should not have a car if it is difficult to park. Practically speaking, getting rid of a car is not possible for my current work situation, so if parking does because much harder than it is now, I will have to pay for it or will have to consider moving. I don't like either option, but I may have to do that eventually with or without this particular building.

The point is nobody wants their lives to get more difficult, and I think that it is okay to argue from a selfish point of view.

Question - do you care more about making your life more convenient or having the value of your condo go up?

I feel like you're asking this as if you think there's a right or wrong answer. Let me know if I misinterpreted you.

I could understand a renter valuing parking space over property values but for a homeowner, it seems odd.....that's all

If you own and you're in it for the medium-long haul (and if you invest in real estate, you really should be).. than I could see valuing convenience over the long term value. You can't "live" in the value of your condo.. but you do have to deal with the rest of it day by day.

And I say this as someone who's indifferent to the project and think people shouldn't expect free and easy parking.

Posted on: 2013/11/11 19:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/20 19:08
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
Quote:

Atsushi wrote:
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
Quote:

Atsushi wrote:

I feel like you're asking this as if you think there's a right or wrong answer. Let me know if I misinterpreted you.

I could understand a renter valuing parking space over property values but for a homeowner, it seems odd.....that's all

Posted on: 2013/11/11 18:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
Quote:

Atsushi wrote:
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
Quote:

Atsushi wrote:

Posted on: 2013/11/11 18:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Atsushi wrote:
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
Quote:

Atsushi wrote:

Posted on: 2013/11/11 18:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
Quote:

Atsushi wrote:

Posted on: 2013/11/11 17:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
You are welcome.

Posted on: 2013/11/11 3:29

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/3/17 0:57
Group:
Registered Users
Yvonne, thank you very much for posting the video, I watched in full. I am a resident of Hamilton Park but that doesn't mean I don't care about the Bright St. project, especially as a mom. It effects the neighborhood not just downtown, Poor planning of city must be pointed out and stopped if possible, we cannot be easy target for developer's greed nor city politician's inadequacy at best or personal interest at worst. The audacity to take away the space being used for the students to put forth such a grand development in a historic neighborhood and change its landscape and the safety of the residents, the students and teachers is just so disappointing to say the least. I really hope the current mayor's office can come up with a solution and get to work to solve the issue other than bandaid the issue or skirt it to past administration.

Posted on: 2013/11/11 2:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

luvHomeMyJC wrote:
Please Steve, start growing the rest of the city beyond downtown and think about lowering our property taxes.

If you really feel this way, have you and your neighbors let the Mayor know that you disapprove of his cancelling the reval which likely would have lowered your taxes? I am amazed there was no outcry from the other wards. Calculate what percentage of your value your taxes are. If it's over 2.3% you're paying too much, and subsidizing the Downtowners paying 1%.

Posted on: 2013/11/10 17:16

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/2/27 14:10
Group:
Registered Users
Foot traffic, Vehicle traffic, Parking Issues ... really? What about 87 new tax generators to pay into the city's vault? Every project also brings in revenue and should then lower down our property taxes.

As far as parking is concerned - pool in resources and purchase land or an existing parking lot and transform it into an +87 car park. Redirect some of the funds to build paid parking and generate revenue. Why does everyone have to park in the street ... they want to live Downtown ... they pay for parking. Premium location, premium amenities, premium prices.

Last I checked this was Jersey City and Steve is the mayor for the entire city, not just downtown. Please Steve, start growing the rest of the city beyond downtown and think about lowering our property taxes.

Posted on: 2013/11/10 16:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
A short interview with Tony Sandkamp and the public response at city hall to Mayor Fulop.

http://vimeo.com/78964791

Posted on: 2013/11/9 13:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Jersey Avenue from Newark Avenue to Grand St has a back up of cars during school dismissal. I have been on Jersey Avenue numerous times and it has taken me nearly 20 to 30 minutes to reach my destination of five blocks. Varick Street is one block west, you don't need more congestion in that area. Even if there is no parking, you will have 87 more people crossing Jersey Avenue in an already tight space.

Imagine if an argument to development in Manhattan was that "it will be too crowded" lol

People here have no clue what makes a great city

And here we are, at our yearly agreement! Damn I wish the thread about constructing the Home Depot wasn't erased, it would be a hoot to see all the similar histrionics arguments projecting the cars going in & out of there bringing the traffic in Hamilton Park to it's knees. Umm, didn't happen.

It got a little harder to park around HP after the Silverman building went up. But heck - why not convert the JCMC parking lot to a multi-story and give VVP folks a discount? Newport Mall parking works for HPers, right?

Posted on: 2013/11/7 6:13

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/5/28 4:29
Group:
Registered Users
More foot traffic... YIKES!

Posted on: 2013/11/7 2:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
And I forgot one more, the cars and foot traffic from Liberty Harbor. Jersey Avenue from Newark Avenue to Grand St perhaps have the most traffic in JC.

Posted on: 2013/11/7 2:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
New York City has wide streets, it can handle more than one lane of traffic. Jersey Avenue is narrow. This is not Manhattan, it is a small narrow street with 4 schools (PS #3, PS #4, Parochial School, and the old PS. #3 adult school) that borders it. It also has an emergency room hospital and an medical building. Then you have people who drive to the lite rail and park their car. Additionally have the Brownstone Diner, and an active African-American Church and an Hispanic Church. The place is choked with foot and car traffic, it doesn't need more.

WOW! If it's really that bad, then only another 80 or so pedestrians will hardly make much difference. Narrow streets, lots of institutions and restaurants, mix of brownstone and high density....sounds a lot like that notorious hellhole Greenwich Village, and we know how bad property values are THERE!

Posted on: 2013/11/7 1:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
New York City has wide streets, it can handle more than one lane of traffic. Jersey Avenue is narrow. This is not Manhattan, it is a small narrow street with 4 schools (PS #3, PS #4, Parochial School, and the old PS. #3 adult school) that borders it. It also has an emergency room hospital and an medical building. Then you have people who drive to the lite rail and park their car. Additionally have the Brownstone Diner, and an active African-American Church and an Hispanic Church. The place is choked with foot and car traffic, it doesn't need more.

Posted on: 2013/11/7 1:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Jersey Avenue from Newark Avenue to Grand St has a back up of cars during school dismissal. I have been on Jersey Avenue numerous times and it has taken me nearly 20 to 30 minutes to reach my destination of five blocks. Varick Street is one block west, you don't need more congestion in that area. Even if there is no parking, you will have 87 more people crossing Jersey Avenue in an already tight space.

Imagine if an argument to development in Manhattan was that "it will be too crowded" lol

And here we are, at our yearly agreement! Damn I wish the thread about constructing the Home Depot wasn't erased, it would be a hoot to see all the similar histrionics arguments projecting the cars going in & out of there bringing the traffic in Hamilton Park to it's knees. Umm, didn't happen.

Posted on: 2013/11/7 0:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:

Posted on: 2013/11/7 0:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/11/7 0:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

RickSp wrote:
Dropping a high density, 87 unit S.R.O., on a quarter acre of land in a residential neighborhood across the street from three schools and down the street from a fourth, on an already highly congested intersection, is idiotic and irresponsible.

That corner should be developed but a micro-unit S.R.O. is not an appropriate development.

Insisting on calling it an SRO is idiotic and irresponsible. Do you even know what a SRO is? It's a rooming house, with each tenant on a floor having a tiny bedroom and sharing a common bath, sort of like old time college dorms (I hear the new ones are luxe). I lived in a 12x20 studio for 3 years, my sister for years before and after me. It was not an SRO. These are small studio apartments. Calling them SRO's is nothing but bigotry against the tenant pool who make only slightly less than you do, don't want to live with a roommate, and want to live Downtown rather than have more space in another ward. The nerve of them!

Posted on: 2013/11/6 23:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

RickSp wrote:
Quote:
Oh screw it, it's about parking!

More pointless snark. Parking is one of the issues, but only one.

Dropping a high density, 87 unit S.R.O., on a quarter acre of land in a residential neighborhood across the street from three schools and down the street from a fourth, on an already highly congested intersection, is idiotic and irresponsible.

That corner should be developed but a micro-unit S.R.O. is not an appropriate development.

Why is it not appropriate? Appropriate is a rather vague and subjective adjective to use here.

And the intersection is only congested during the school rush hours - it's not busy otherwise.

Will free and easy parking go away with this building? Sure. But it would also happen with another 30 unit residential building. As it is, parking is currently tight there.

Posted on: 2013/11/6 22:46

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/3/27 20:26
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

More pointless snark. Parking is one of the issues, but only one.

Posted on: 2013/11/6 22:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/24 20:34
Group:
Registered Users
My favorite thing about this whole battle is how people who've been railing against this development for a while will come on here and be like, "Guys this is ABSOLUTELY not about parking!!!". And then some new person will come in and be like "This is totally going to screw up our parking!!!".

Y'all need to get on message. Remeber, this is 100% definitely absolutely not about parking in any way.

It's about aspiring yuppies making too much noise. Wait, that's not it...it's about out of context development. Errrr, that still might be wrong...it's about no oversight on the approval process. Hold on, let me check my notes...

Posted on: 2013/11/6 21:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Atsushi wrote:

Sorry but no major city should guarantee parking with any new development. I grew up in Williamsburg BK and when it started to develop parking never was never cried about as it is here... A parking spot is NOT a right. Get over it. If parking is such a big deal for so many of you folks why live in a downtown area. Downtown areas are notorious for not having parking available... duh.

Posted on: 2013/11/6 21:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Atsushi wrote:

Posted on: 2013/11/6 21:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
We should have a "History of Hysteria" page to commemorate these battles. Anyone remember how the Home Depot on 12th was going to bring The End Of The World As We Know It? What about one the people won, The Great War To Protect The Views Of A Few People On Ogden Ave? (from a couple of high rises down on Jersey). That set back redevelopment there decades. There's lots more NIMBYs we can recall, who's next?

Posted on: 2013/11/6 20:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/11/6 20:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

FKSJC wrote:
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
Quote:

FKSJC wrote:
Quote:

Can you name one development that has been built in DTJC that has failed?

Can you name one that is so different in so many ways from its surroundings? There is no precedent for this- that I'm aware of

And for develpments that have failed- how about the Beacon that was supposed to be condo and went rental? Or how about 77 Hudson with an owner tower and rental tower?

Yes failure is in the eye of the beholder, but having rents significantly below Developer's estimate would I think be considered failure, but impossible to know. Then not enough money for all the other stuff.

77 Hudson just sold a condo for the highest amount ever in JC. 77 Hudson is the opposite to failure. 77 Hudson is to failure as Christie is to Olympic Athlete.

I said, name a DTJC development that has failed. The Beacon is a failure but is not in DTJC.

The measure of failure is not whether it fits in the neighborhood. The measure of failure is whether these establishments increase property values.

What fits into Newark Ave near the Grove PATH is more 99 cent stores but that does not mean more should be built..

Beacon not downtown. Okay will give you that. Sorry for messing that up.
Regarding 77 Hudson- whatever you say. Successful is not what I have heard.
Regardless, we can agree to disagree about that. However, I offered examples- one was incorrect and another you disagree with. Fair enough. Can you please answer my question now? Name another development that is so different from surroundings? Hamilton Square comes to mind, but it is not a good example as the Silverman?s extensively sought input from HPNA about its creation frorm St. Francis. The polar opposite of this situation.

http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2010/03 ... ump_soho_says_a_trump.php

SoHo is not known for it's massive towers and yet this one - 46 story tower was built. Increase property values all around and units are in no way affecting "property values" in the area except to increase them...

It is objective fact that 77 Hudson is a success - in terms of the only thing that matters - property values. If you measure 77 Hudson on all the gushy stuff like "how it fits into the neighborhood" then that is subjectiveness and is more suited for a conversation with your therapist.

Posted on: 2013/11/6 19:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/18 1:45
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Nice post Brewster!

Robin.

Posted on: 2013/11/6 18:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

FKSJC wrote:
Name another development that is so different from surroundings? Hamilton Square comes to mind, but it is not a good example as the Silverman?s extensively sought input from HPNA about its creation frorm St. Francis. The polar opposite of this situation.

Only on cosmetic issues, not on density or it's existence, which as in this case, they had as of right.

Posted on: 2013/11/6 17:43

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 8 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017