Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
130 user(s) are online (115 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 130

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 3 (4)

Re: Area between Tunnel and Hoboken
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/2/6 21:28
Group:
Registered Users
I also heard that there was extensive flooding there. My understanding is that they were evacuated because of concerns about whether the foundations had been compromised due to the flooding. Definitely research this before buying.

Those buildings felt too isolated to us, so we didn't even consider looking there during our search this fall. Parking seemed like it would be awful.

Posted on: 2013/1/15 20:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/20 19:08
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

RUinHamiltonPark wrote:
Hi All,

I'm considering buying a place in this area. As you can see by my handle I'm currently on the other side. I was wondering if anyone here currently lives on the other side. Do you find it safe? How did you make it through the storm? How is parking?

If you live south of the tunnel would you be comfortable living on the other side? A lot of stuff still in walking distance.

There is 700 Grove, Zephyr, and now the Cast Iron Lofts but also the Holland Gardens.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

700 grove and zephyr are notorious flood zones. They actually evacuated after Sandy. I wouldn't live there if someone paid me to live there.

Try Liberty Harbor North, Newport, or Paulus Hook.

Posted on: 2013/1/15 19:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
In 25 years there will be no distinction between this area and Hoboken or Jersey City. It will simply all run together. It all really depends on how far from the PATH you are willing to be and whether you can deal with the car noise and pollutants.
The area around Cast Iron Lofts is getting a redevelopment plan with something like 10,000 housing units plus retail. That's all the lots west of Jersey and north of the outbound turnpike viaduct. Also the Van Leer property is in the process of getting redeveloped.

10k more people insane with an amount like that.

Posted on: 2013/1/15 19:14
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
In 25 years there will be no distinction between this area and Hoboken or Jersey City. It will simply all run together. It all really depends on how far from the PATH you are willing to be and whether you can deal with the car noise and pollutants.

The area around Cast Iron Lofts is getting a redevelopment plan with something like 10,000 housing units plus retail. That's all the lots west of Jersey and north of the outbound turnpike viaduct. Also the Van Leer property is in the process of getting redeveloped.

There is a good chance a new light rail station would one day be constructed along 18th Street on the long straight section of track. But thats likely a long, long way off.

Theoretically, the NJTransit development will put housing units up as far as Grove Street, but with all the opposition from Zimmer, it could be a while before that takes off.

Posted on: 2013/1/15 19:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/12/18 14:09
Group:
Registered Users
I feel a bit unsafe in that area, between the projects and Burke's and the homeless shelter. Whenever I've walked to Hoboken via Manila/Grove, I feel much better once I get out of that area and onto observer highway. It didn't seem like there was much surface flooding there with Sandy but I have no clue what happened in the basements.

On the other hand, aside from south Liberty Harbor and north Newport it's the largest underdeveloped part of downtown and it seems like it's gonna boom before anywhere else does. Buying there might be an incredibly good long term investment.

Quote:

RUinHamiltonPark wrote:
Hi All,

I'm considering buying a place in this area. As you can see by my handle I'm currently on the other side. I was wondering if anyone here currently lives on the other side. Do you find it safe? How did you make it through the storm? How is parking?

If you live south of the tunnel would you be comfortable living on the other side? A lot of stuff still in walking distance.

There is 700 Grove, Zephyr, and now the Cast Iron Lofts but also the Holland Gardens.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Posted on: 2013/1/15 18:59

Area between Tunnel and Hoboken
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/9/8 19:37
From Soho West
Group:
Registered Users
Hi All,

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Posted on: 2013/1/15 18:38

« 1 2 3 (4)

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact