Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
122 user(s) are online (104 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 122

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 ... 10 »

Re: should Jersey City create and implement on-street bicycle lanes?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Seagull wrote:
I think we can all agree that the delivery guys on motorized bicycles should definitely not be on the sidewalks. This past weekend, I actually witnessed some jackass riding his motorized bike ON the sidewalk, and with no exaggeration he was going at least 20mph. Made me wish I had been on the other side of the street to clothesline his ass. That's some ridiculous bullshit right there!

Dude, even asshats on non-motorized bikes reach such speeds. I once had to pull my daughter from the path of two clueless dudes riding down the sidewalk (abreast of each other!) who were easily doing 15 MPH. As I yelled at them, their faces told me what I suspect is a common situation: they didn't feel like they were doing anything wrong. As someone else said below, if you don't feel safe riding on the road, that's too bad. Grow a pair, or stick to walking. The bike belongs on the road, legally and practically.

Posted on: 2014/5/7 16:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

In the course of riding thousands of miles on a bicycle over many years, I doubt I ever walked my bike into the street before clipping-in and getting moving...

Talk about lack of common sense and context. I don't think ANYBODY would consider clipping in as riding. Of course, clipping in on the sidewalk and then expeditiously (and, judiciously) making your way to the road is perfectly acceptable. So is riding onto a sidewalk to dismount safely. Common sense would tell you (I think/hope!) that when we say do not ride on sidewalks we mean do not ride on sidewalk in lieu of using the street. As in, do not ride on the sidewalk for any considerable length/distance.

Posted on: 2014/5/7 16:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/19 15:21
Group:
Registered Users
I think we can all agree that the delivery guys on motorized bicycles should definitely not be on the sidewalks. This past weekend, I actually witnessed some jackass riding his motorized bike ON the sidewalk, and with no exaggeration he was going at least 20mph. Made me wish I had been on the other side of the street to clothesline his ass. That's some ridiculous bullshit right there!

Posted on: 2014/5/7 15:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/5 14:16
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JerseyCityFrankie wrote:
Unless you are a small child or a very aged person, there is no excuse for riding a bike on the sidewalk, there is NO EXCUSE.

Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
About sidewalk riding: please, please, please DO NOT DO IT. You should never ride on a sidewalk.

Declaring that people should never ride their bicycles on the sidewalk is impractically dogmatic and leaves no room for judgment or common sense.

In the course of riding thousands of miles on a bicycle over many years, I doubt I ever walked my bike into the street before clipping-in and getting moving, but not once did I present an inconvenience, much less a dangerous condition, to pedestrians. That exact scenario has played out millions of times, and almost always without conflict.

Posted on: 2014/5/7 14:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/7/22 15:58
Group:
Registered Users
Unless you are a small child or a very aged person, there is no excuse for riding a bike on the sidewalk, there is NO EXCUSE. Traffic too scary for you? Too bad. I agree JC drivers are selfish negligent slobs but this is no excuse to give them the road. That road is yours too and you have to use it. The more cyclists use the road the more the awareness of cyclists is raised in the caveman brains of JC auto users.

Posted on: 2014/5/7 14:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/7 4:19
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

CatDog wrote:
I don't bike much outside of Downtown/Hoboken, but even Downtown I sometimes hop on the sidewalk for a minute if the road is a treacherous one (tons of potholes, fast-moving cars, no space for bikes, etc). Plenty of people will hate you no matter what if you're on the sidewalk, but if you do it, please just try to take it slow and give way to pedestrians, and be considerate in general. I try my best to be as slow and considerate as possible if I'm on the sidewalk, I don't want to give any reason to start hating on bikes even more. And be careful at building corners.

If you're going to be on the sidewalk, why not walk your bike?
I generally do walk it if there are people on the sidewalk, I'm not going to go around terrorizing people. But if there's nobody on the sidewalk, I don't see a reason not to.

Posted on: 2014/5/7 14:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... rsey_city_hoboken_sa.html

$4.4M in state grants coming to Hudson County for investing in roads, bike lanes. Over a million $$ slated for Jersey City.

Posted on: 2014/5/7 14:10
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/8/14 15:19
From Lafayette
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks for all the responses and for the lack of snark in them!

Posted on: 2014/5/7 12:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
About sidewalk riding: please, please, please DO NOT DO IT. You should never ride on a sidewalk. If you don't feel safe (because of cars, or potholes, or whatever) get on the sidewalk, dismount, and walk. Once you feel safe to be back on the road, re-mount and continue on your way.

As for cars parking on the bike lanes, they SHOULD carry out a ticketing campaign, or some other enforcement. I do see squad cars drive past cars/drivers doing that, and it annoys me that they don't even slow down to tell those motorists to move their vehicles. In NYC, I have seen police not ticket people but instead will sound their sirens to tell people to move. At least it is something.

As for the location of lanes, left would be best, but ultimately they should concentrate on an education campaign to raise awareness about cyclists and to watch out for them. Too many people (drivers and passengers) fling their doors open without ever stopping to look for pedestrian/cycling traffic.

Posted on: 2014/5/6 16:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
I hope they stay on the right passsengers are careless, owners are not. Also if you hit a pothole and damage your bicycle go to the risk management department and get reimbursed. (201) 547-5034
http://www.cityofjerseycity.com/administration.aspx?id=1418

Posted on: 2014/5/6 16:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CatDog wrote:
I don't bike much outside of Downtown/Hoboken, but even Downtown I sometimes hop on the sidewalk for a minute if the road is a treacherous one (tons of potholes, fast-moving cars, no space for bikes, etc). Plenty of people will hate you no matter what if you're on the sidewalk, but if you do it, please just try to take it slow and give way to pedestrians, and be considerate in general. I try my best to be as slow and considerate as possible if I'm on the sidewalk, I don't want to give any reason to start hating on bikes even more. And be careful at building corners.

If you're going to be on the sidewalk, why not walk your bike?

Posted on: 2014/5/6 16:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/5/6 16:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
If they won't fix their mistake, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised. It's just more of the same JC "good enough" attitude that pervades this city.

Posted on: 2014/5/6 16:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/8/14 15:19
From Lafayette
Group:
Registered Users
Casual biker here, but trying to transition into making it my primary mode of transportation (gotta lose that winter weight somehow). I find biking downtown feels safer than the west side of the city, due to the smaller/ less busy streets and more frequent bike lanes. When heading over to the west side and dealing with large/super busy streets like Kennedy Blvd or even Communipaw during rush hour, do you guys bike on the sidewalk? Sorry to thread jack, but it seemed semi-relevent.

Posted on: 2014/5/6 14:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

heights wrote:
http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... sts_say.html#incart_river

Jersey City bike lanes on wrong side of street, cyclists say
Wait so, everything I've heard from the city has been "yeah we're going to switch them" but this article has people from the city both saying they goofed and are going to switch them, and another person saying they won't switch? So what the hell is going on then? I really hope they fix them now, because if it doesn't get fixed, it's going to stay that way forever.

Posted on: 2014/5/6 14:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

PremiumContent wrote:
The cops need to start aggressively ticketing people that double park in the bike lane on Grove Street. Otherwise they are useless. There are at least 2-3 jackasses blocking the lanes at all times.

100% agree with you. It's ridiculous.

Posted on: 2014/5/6 14:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/9 1:00
From Downtown JC
Group:
Registered Users
The cops need to start aggressively ticketing people that double park in the bike lane on Grove Street. Otherwise they are useless. There are at least 2-3 jackasses blocking the lanes at all times.

Posted on: 2014/5/6 14:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/22 1:46
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

heights wrote:

I've been saying this since day one. I've followed up with Bike JC about this and their response is "one step at a time" -- as in, let's get something, and then worry about fixing it. Biggest load of bullshit going. Once the lanes are painted, it will never get fixed.

So much for a group that advocates for bicycling. With their level of inefficiency and incompetence, I'm beginning to wonder if Bike JC is a department in the city government.

Posted on: 2014/5/6 11:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/5/6 10:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/1/2 2:11
Group:
Registered Users
Also saw this last night. Also listed in a similar thread.
I think anything that will promote a bike-friendly environment in JC is great. We are way behind other municipalities in promoting biking as a greener alternative. Hopefully, Fulop is serious about implementing (vs. planning) bike lanes throughout the City. Hoboken's bike lanes are great. Currently, JC roads continue to be very questionable with regard to safe biking. Will be interesting to see if the program really takes off in JC -- I really hope it does.

Posted on: 2014/2/20 22:06

Re: Ready to roll: Hoboken, Jersey City and Weehawken plan regional bike-sharing program
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/5 14:18
From Exchange Place
Group:
Registered Users
I saw this last night. Can't find it on NJ.com.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Hoboken, Weehawken, Jersey City To Launch Regional Bike Share Program

February 19, 2014 8:06 PM

NEW JERSEY (CBSNewYork) ? The cities of Hoboken, Weehawken, and Jersey City are teaming up to launch a regional bike share program by this upcoming summer.

The program is expected to be the largest next-generation bike share system in North America, 1010 WINS reported.

?Bike sharing is an affordable, sustainable, and convenient transportation option,? Hoboken Mayor Dawn Zimmer said. ?We are excited to partner with leading innovators to bring this next-generation system to our residents, businesses and visitors at no cost to taxpayers. I am proud to build upon our successful pilot bike share program and work with our neighbors in Jersey City and Weehawken to create a regional system.?

Jersey City Mayor Steven M. Fulop was equally enthusiastic, saying he is proud to take a step toward a greener, more bike-friendly city. ?Providing a new transportation option throughout the city while simultaneously reducing pollution, traffic congestion and demand for parking is a home run, especially given that it won?t cost the taxpayers a cent.?

Weehawken Councilwoman Rosemary Lavagnino expressed excitement for her city to participate in the program. ?This program will allow residents to leave their cars at home while still giving them access to Weehawken and their neighboring communities.?

Bike and Roll, the largest bike rental company in the United States, will operate the program.

?Bike and Roll is excited to have been selected to operate this cutting edge bicycle sharing system for Hoboken, Jersey City and Weehawken,? said President of Bike and Roll Chris Wogas.

The company will use bicycle technology manufactured by Nextbike, a leading operator and supplier of bike sharing systems.

Rather than a system that relies on smart docks, which requires expensive infrastructure, this program will feature smart bikes, which relies on bikes with built-in locks and communications equipment.

The smart bike is expected to provide more flexibility at a fraction of the cost of traditional bike share systems.

According to a news release, the program will be funded through sponsorships, advertising, and user fees. The three cities will receive a percentage of profits after capital expenditures have been recouped.

Customers will be able to choose from an array of purchase options, including annual, weekly and daily memberships.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2014/02/1 ... ional-bike-share-program/

Posted on: 2014/2/20 21:26

Re: Ready to roll: Hoboken, Jersey City and Weehawken plan regional bike-sharing program
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/12/28 0:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
Great..but this should also include the Heights, Union City and Weehawken

The article says it includes Weehawken.

Posted on: 2013/12/17 21:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
I am already starting to see bike lanes up here, which is very confusing but if it can keep bikers off Garfield its a good thing.

Posted on: 2013/12/17 20:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
Great..but this should also include the Heights, Union City and Weehawken

Posted on: 2013/12/17 20:45

Ready to roll: Hoboken, Jersey City and Weehawken plan regional bike-sharing program
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Kathryn Brenzel/NJ.com

HOBOKEN ? A new regional bicycle-sharing program may link three Hudson County cities by this spring.

Hoboken, Jersey City and Weehawken are working together to launch a regional bike-sharing program, which would include at least 650 bicycles and solar-powered parking stations, officials said in a statement late Monday. The cities plan to select a single vendor for the program through a competitive contracting process, which has yet to be approved by the cities' councils.

The councils plan to vote on the solicitation process at their next meetings.

The proposed launch for the program is June 2014, according to Hoboken City Council documents. The cities hope to install ? at a minimum ?300 bikes in Jersey City, 250 in Hoboken and 100 in Weehawken, according to officials. The program could later be expanded to other municipalities.

The program is designed to allow participants to travel between and throughout the three cities via bicycle, officials said.

?We know that our transportation network is a regional one that connects our three waterfront communities, which is why it was important to partner on this initiative," Jersey City Mayor Steven Fulop said in a statement.

The announcement comes roughly one month after Hoboken's trial bike-sharing program came to a close. At the time, Mayor Dawn Zimmer indicated that the city would be exploring its vendor and funding options before deciding how to move forward with the program. She also said that the city would be looking into the possibility of a regional program, connecting Hoboken, Jersey City and Weehawken.

Hudson County has also been mulling its own bicycle-sharing program. The county's planning division launched a feasibility study Oct. 18, through a $95,000 grant. The study is expected to be complete in July.

The proposed regional program seeks a vendor that would allow online registration, walk-up users and that would provide bikes with built-in GPS and use-tracking systems.Officials said the program could ease parking issues and encourage local shopping.

?Following Hoboken?s extremely successful bike share pilot this summer, we are ready to scale up to a full-scale, regional bike share program,? Zimmer said in a statement. ?This program will improve our region?s transportation resiliency and provide another low-cost, healthy transportation and recreation option.?

Posted on: 2013/12/17 19:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I see madness in that so many hands are involved and potential overlap. I think bike sharing on makes sense at the county level (critical mass) and HC should be leading the charge

Posted on: 2013/12/17 16:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

DanL wrote:
should Jersey City create and implement on-street bicycle lanes?

What madness do you see this is a great positive for the county. Granted there will be more first timers on bikes but most should apply proper bicycle use. I think the majority here in the J.C. area will embrace the random use of bikes. We need various types of transportation.

Posted on: 2013/12/17 15:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Madness prevails in NJ...just read article about bike sharing.

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... program.html#incart_river

In addition to exploring its own bike sharing program, Hoboken is also looking at partnering with Jersey City and on top of that Hudson County is exploring bike sharing program.

Posted on: 2013/12/17 14:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

boilerplater wrote:
That's what i was looking for as well. Thanks for posting. Any suggestions on who to lean on or write letters to in order to get some more movement on this?

Write to your 4 council persons (ward & at-large), the planning board/department, and the DPW. I would also start to mention this to your local neighborhood association, and at the your district's monthly Captain's meeting.

Posted on: 2013/8/7 11:20

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/10/4 2:04
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
That's what i was looking for as well. Thanks for posting. Any suggestions on who to lean on or write letters to in order to get some more movement on this?

Posted on: 2013/8/7 1:36

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 ... 10 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017