Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
104 user(s) are online (91 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 104

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 3 (4)

Re: Bergen Lafayette: Couple slain in botched carjacking
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/25 20:40
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
Sound like the Prairie Home Companion solution: Jersey City: Where all of the residents are Above Average.

Quote:

trambone wrote:
Quote:

Greenvillechick wrote:
. Quote:

trambone wrote:
Step 1. Remove section 8.
step 2. Reduce amount of public housing offered.
3. Raise property taxes to force rent up.

And what about the people who can't afford to pay higher rents? It would be safe to say that I am middle class. I am single, work two jobs and go to school full-time. If they raised rents then where would I go? Just because I pay a lower rent doesn't mean i'm a bad person. I dont live downtown cause simply put, I cannot afford it. Should Jersey City be only for people who can afford 1200 a month for a studio? I am just curious as to your thought process.

It sounds cruel but it would be an efficient way to ease problems around here. Do you have a better solution?

Posted on: 2010/4/6 14:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/30 16:48
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Greenvillechick wrote:
. Quote:

trambone wrote:

And what about the people who can't afford to pay higher rents? It would be safe to say that I am middle class. I am single, work two jobs and go to school full-time. If they raised rents then where would I go? Just because I pay a lower rent doesn't mean i'm a bad person. I dont live downtown cause simply put, I cannot afford it. Should Jersey City be only for people who can afford 1200 a month for a studio? I am just curious as to your thought process.

It sounds cruel but it would be an efficient way to ease problems around here. Do you have a better solution?

Posted on: 2010/4/6 14:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/7/8 2:45
From Bergen/Laf
Group:
Registered Users
. Quote:

trambone wrote:

Posted on: 2010/4/6 14:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/30 16:48
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2010/4/6 14:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

SICULO wrote:
One only need read the header on this topic"Bergen/Lafayette to understand why this tragedy took place.

Jersey City should seperate itself from this section of the city
and maybe, just maybe, JC can be recognized as a civilized city as oppossed to a Dump!

We really are a tale of 2 cities when one speaks of this city.

I semi-agree. Add Greenville to the list as well. If we remove Greenville and B-L, this would be a pretty safe city of 175,000 or so.

Posted on: 2010/4/6 14:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/1/27 22:17
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Yeah - as JerseyCitynj stated, it's probably gang initiation. Two shots to the head on both victims? It looks more like an execution - why would the shooter(s) have to do that in a carjacking attempt?

Quote:

jc73 wrote:
Something doesn't sound right with this story. They stay it was a botched carjacking because the car had an anti-theft device. But if they killed these two people as they got out of the car and were walking to the house then wouldn't they have the keys on them. Why wouldn't the killers just take the keys and steal the car?

Posted on: 2010/4/6 14:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

mfadam wrote:
this is truly awful. It goes back to the lack of beat cops around here. Healy will say there's no money for hiring police officers. Quit wasting it on city council cars and bogus jobs for relatives. Maybe you could get some more police on the streets with that freed up money. What's it going to take around here?

They have the money but if you were a cop would you want a walking beat along the ghetto in the inner city ? You would be targeted as if you were a duck in a shooting gallary. Sometimes these beat tours are reserved for cops that didn't go along with the crowd or supported the wrong candidate during the election. And if you are talking about money most of the new (taxes) money has been generated in the Heights, Downtown, and the Square with all of the new condos, and condo conversions. Perhaps most of beat cops are being stationed in those sections seeing that is where the property tax money is in order to protect the population of those neighborhoods.

Posted on: 2010/4/6 13:14

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/2/25 14:40
Group:
Registered Users
One only need read the header on this topic"Bergen/Lafayette to understand why this tragedy took place.

Jersey City should seperate itself from this section of the city
and maybe, just maybe, JC can be recognized as a civilized city as oppossed to a Dump!

We really are a tale of 2 cities when one speaks of this city.

Posted on: 2010/4/6 12:24

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/3/9 14:18
Group:
Registered Users
Something doesn't sound right with this story. They stay it was a botched carjacking because the car had an anti-theft device. But if they killed these two people as they got out of the car and were walking to the house then wouldn't they have the keys on them. Why wouldn't the killers just take the keys and steal the car?

Posted on: 2010/4/6 11:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
See why location does matter! ...and I agree with you -- it is really striking how close in time and location these two crimes are... Here is where the other man was shot:
View Larger Map Here is the thread: http://jclist.com/modules/newbb/viewt ... p?topic_id=20848&forum=10 ...and here again is where this couple were killed:
View Larger Map

Posted on: 2010/4/6 2:43

Re: Couple slain in botched carjacking
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/26 19:42
From Chilltown, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
The more I read articles on this crime the more it seems connected to the murder last week. Last week a few blocks away a man was murdered. The man was walking to his car with his girlfriend when someone walked up behind him and shot him in the back with a shotgun without saying a word to him. No motive is known in that case and the man killed seemed like a good person from reports. Now reports are saying a shotgun was one of the guns used in this double murder also.

I hope I am wrong but it seems like gang initiations. Are innocent people really being targeted in random murders now? I feel bad for the families of the victims I hope these crimes get solved fast.

Posted on: 2010/4/6 2:07

Couple slain in botched carjacking
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/10/2 20:19
Group:
Registered Users
Also: it's brutal stories like this (but not only this) that are the reason this website should stop being about "downtown JC" as it's logo suggests. It's time to evolve and cover the whole town.

The original poster included the neighborhood ("Bergen Lafayette"). That goes to unfairly segmenting the story into a category: not-for-the-gentrifying-downtown-reader.

This is a disservice to the community of Bergen Lafayette and portrays the downtown reader in a very narrow and unfair fashion.

I'm not suggesting the OP was doing this intentionally, but as the OP seems linked to the Jersey Journal, s/he must understand that headlines do tell part of a story. Here, I think it is subtly tell people to shuffle along.

Posted on: 2010/4/5 20:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/10/2 20:19
Group:
Registered Users
This story is terrible. Jesus Christ. I feel so disgusted right now.

Posted on: 2010/4/5 20:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/21 20:29
Group:
Registered Users
I saw this story on the news last night. Such a beautiful couple. To their families ? I am so sorry for your loss.

Posted on: 2010/4/5 13:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/8 17:09
Group:
Registered Users
this is truly awful. It goes back to the lack of beat cops around here. Healy will say there's no money for hiring police officers. Quit wasting it on city council cars and bogus jobs for relatives. Maybe you could get some more police on the streets with that freed up money. What's it going to take around here?

Posted on: 2010/4/5 11:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/1/3 6:32
Group:
Registered Users
Mayor Healy, ENOUGH IS ENOUGH with VIOLENT CRIME in Jersey City. Stop your BS that crime is at a 30 year low and address the crime situation in Jersey City.

Do whatever needs to be done to get these violent criminals, drug dealers and gangs off the streets of Jersey City! Marshall Law, bring in the national guard, help our police.

You have yet to get serious about the crime issue in Jersey City since you have become Mayor. You keep going around telling us crime is down. Well it's not so again stop the BS and institute a crime policy towards cleaning up our streets and making them safe.

Posted on: 2010/4/5 4:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Resized Image Slain Jersey City couple had just returned from their engagement party By Charles Hack/The Jersey Journal April 04, 2010, 4:35PM Michael Muchioki, 27 and his fiancee, Nia Haqq, 25, of Jersey City, were slain early this morning in what authorities are characterizing as a botched carjacking. The families of a Jersey City couple are grieving this Easter because of the senseless killing of the two young people during what authorities are describing as a botched carjacking. Michael Muchioki, 27 and his fiancee, Nia Haqq, 25, had just returned from their engagement party in New Brunswick when they were gunned down at around 3 a.m. this morning a few doors down from their Randolph Avenue home. "There were great together," Amanda Muchioki, 31, said about her brother and Haqq. Erastus Muchioki, 58, Michael's father, called the killers "animals." "They did not need to do this. This was done in cold blood," Erastus Muchioki added. Having returned from their engagement party in New Brunswick, Muchioki and Haqq, had just parked her sports utility vehicle when they were approached by a man and two women, officials and family said. They were each shot twice. Both were shot once in the head, Hudson County Prosecutor Edward DeFazio said. The killers, who fled in a gold Grand Am, never stole Haqq's Honda CRV because of an anti-theft device, he said. Michael Muchioko worked for a software group in Downtown Jersey City, his family said. He was a member Alpha Phi Alpha fraternity at New Jersey's Science & Technology University and had been dating Haqq for five years after meeting her at Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, his family said. Haqq worked for an affiliate of Nickelodeon, his sister said. They had gotten engaged in December and were planning to marry in April next year. Muchioki, who loved the Dallas Cowboys, played football for Marist High School in Bayonne, his family said. Prior to high school, he attended a Lutheran private school in Jersey City, family members said. Muchioki's mother Sandra Muchioki, who was in Florida helping her parents, found out her son was dead by phone. She is flying back this afternoon, family members said. "He was a very outgoing guy with a lot of friends," Erastus Muchioki, who lives around the corner from the couple, said about his son. "We just miss him." Neighbors were also shocked. "I have lived here thirty-something years. "It's so quiet around here until this," said one neighbor. "This knocked me for a loop." Authorities believe that the victims were shot during an unsuccessful carjacking based on the crime scene and witness statements, DeFazio said. Police believe the car could not be moved because it had anti-theft device. Anyone with information should contact the Prosecutor's Office at (201) 915-1345. ===============================
View Larger Map NJ man, fiancee slain during apparent carjacking Carolina Leid Eyewitness News JERSEY CITY (WABC) -- An engaged couple returning to their northern New Jersey home early Sunday was fatally shot in what authorities believe was a botched carjacking. The pair had just come back from their own engagement party, and they were parking their car near their home when police say they were approached by a man and two women. The incident happened at 243 Randolf Avenue in Jersey City. Friends say Michael Muchioki and Nia Haqq were on top of the world. They both had solid jobs and a solid future together. They had just come home from an engagement party when someone decided to take all of that away. Now, Sandra and Erasus Muchioki are begging whoever murdered their son and his fiancee to turn themselves in to police. If not because it's the right thing to do, then for the pain they have caused. "We loved him," Sandra said. "We will continue loving him...My only son. It's hard for me." Micahel Muchioki, 27, and the 25-year-old Haqq were both shot twice in the head. "My daughter called me and said she thinks Nia and Michael were shot," Erasus said. "I came around, but they wouldn't let me go near them." The Jersey City couple got in engaged just before Christmas. Friends threw them an engagement party Saturday night. The pain is felt through the entire neighborhood. Michael worked in IT, and Nia worked for MTV. They met in college and have been inseparable for three years, and they were a pair who made their parents proud. "He was my baby," Sandra said. "He has good friends and good family. We'll get through it." (Copyright ?2010 WABC-TV/DT. All Rights Reserved.)

Posted on: 2010/4/4 22:40

Bergen Lafayette: Couple slain in botched carjacking
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

View Larger Map Jersey City couple slain in botched carjacking, prosecutor says By Charles Hack/The Jersey Journal April 04, 2010, 12:14PM A Jersey City couple engaged to be married were slain outside their Randolph Avenue home early this morning during a possible carjacking, Hudson County Prosecutor Edward DeFazio said. Having returned from a party in New Brunswick, the pair -- Michael Muchiaki, 27 and his fiancee, Nia Haqq, 25 -- had just parked their car on Randolph Avenue when they were approached by a man and two women at 3 a.m., DeFazio said. The victims were found dead near their car. Each one was shot twice, both were shot in the head, DeFazio said. The three suspects left the scene in a gold-colored Pontiac Grand Am. The murders are under investigation by the Hudson County Prosecutors Office Homicide Unit and the Jersey City Police Department. Investigators are awaiting the autopsy results. Authorities believe that the victims were shot during an unsuccessful carjacking based on the crime scene and witness statements, DeFazio said. Police believe the car could not be moved because it had anti-theft device. "The people who did this were there earlier in morning engaged in some kind of activity and we need help with that," DeFazio said in appealing for the public's help in solving this case. "These perpetrators have to be brought to justice, and we are looking for any help that we can get from anyone in the community that may have any information that is relevant to this outrageous homicidal activity." Anyone with information should contact the Prosecutor's Office at (201) 915-1345. These killings represent the 10th and 11th murders in Hudson County this year. There were 31 murders in Hudson County last year, 28 of them in Jersey City.

Posted on: 2010/4/4 18:19

« 1 2 3 (4)

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017