Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
128 user(s) are online (97 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 128

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 3 (4)

Re: BackFlow Preventor installation policy from JC Office of the Construction Official?

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/10/27 13:30
Group:
Registered Users
I don't have a duck in this fight, so relax.

I am a licensed plumber, and a licensed Backflow tester with 28 years experience.

The requirement is a very good one.

Yeah, it hurts, like getting that dirty gash scrubbed clean by a nurse; but, it'll keep you from loosing the limb, or your life!

As to cost-

Many factors impact cost, so one price can't righteously "fit all."

Access [parking, distance, stairs(?), security, etc]
Complexity of piping
Space - if it is tight, difficulty increases geometrically
Location - some assemblies cannot be put in a pit; RPZs can quickly overcome basement drains/pumps, for instance ... may require additional piping to get it above flood-level.
Also, assembly must be testable and maintainable in-line here. Jersey may not have that requirement now/yet; but, keep that in mind to make long term costs stay down ... if tester has to get a ladder, squirrel in amongst other pipes, and juggle tools/parts/flashlight/climb down to retrieve fumbled screws/whatever....

My advice is, try to see it from the plumber's perspective in order to determine whether or not he's blowing smoke/gouging you - and every market has many who will - Then, consider how it will play out when it saves you from total bankruptcy [insurance does not cover contamination of public supplies], and how it will
be a for-ev-er maintenance cost, with annual testing and occasional repairs. If it is a small unit, changing out a failed unit might be just a few dollars more than getting a part installed- if it is large, the opposite is true. The new assembly will come with a warranty- that makes a difference of value sometimes.

Talk to three local plumbers, you might see if Angie's List has any to commend- then you might have enough info to avoid the hazards you are aware of.

Posted on: 2008/10/27 14:04

Re: BackFlow Preventor installation policy from JC Office of the Construction Official?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/5/31 3:07
Group:
Registered Users
Backflow preventers are required in all new contruction so it's no surprise that it's now being required in existing buildngs. Costwise, if it's more than several hudred dollars per BFP, you're getting ripped off.

Posted on: 2008/10/27 13:29

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/5/14 1:40
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks for confirming this. My concern is that this installation and inspection work could cost a lot of money. This could result in a special assessment. Also, because the board are not plumbers, they feel that they could be ripped off by the plumber for unnecessary work.

Good luck with your buildings. I hope you will not have to pay too much for the work.

Posted on: 2008/10/27 12:10

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/11/26 3:14
Group:
Registered Users
I can confirm this. I am the "super" of several small condo buildings in JC and all of the buildings have received this letter. Upon inspection, none of the buildings have this backflow preventor, they are all in the process of negotiating the cost of installation now.

My understanding is that this requirement came about because of the issue at Society Hill earlier this summer, where there sprinkler system ruptured because of increase in pressure by United Water. As a result of the rupture, much of the old mucky water in the fire line got "sucked" back into the city water system. I don;t know how true that is, it is just what I heard.

Posted on: 2008/10/27 8:53

BackFlow Preventor installation policy from JC Office of the Construction Official?

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/5/14 1:40
Group:
Registered Users
Hi,
My condo association received a letter from the Jersey City Office of the Construction Official, a division of the Housing, Economic Development and Commerce Department.

It says that the City of Jersey City is implementing a policy for BackFlow preventors. Consumers are responsible for preventing contaminants from entering the potable water systems or the public water systems, and have to pay for installation and inspection of such devices.

Has anybody else received this letter? If so, can anybody describe how to approach this? When I called the Construction office, the person said that this applies to the fire line, and that private licensed contractors certified by the city actually performs the inspection. I am wondering if anybody else can confirm this.

Thanks.

Posted on: 2008/10/27 0:54

« 1 2 3 (4)

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017