Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
123 user(s) are online (102 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 123

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 3 (4)

Re: Skinner's Loft... delish!
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/11/5 23:00
Group:
Registered Users
I went there on Saturday, didn't try the food, but the bar service was great. The interior is nothing out of the ordinary, which to me is a good thing. I'm getting sick of bars with transparent gimmicks. I think this place is going to be a great addition to the grove st. area.

Posted on: 2007/9/10 3:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/19 17:53
Group:
Registered Users
Someone should tell them to check out this thread so they can correct their mistakes.The first month is crucial.
I have owned a restaurant before and failed i might add so i feel for them.We really need this place to succeed for the sake of newark ave.

Posted on: 2007/9/10 1:23

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/2/14 14:12
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Second meal there this evening. Excellent ribs, extremely tender 'n' tasty. Asawa had two apps, the tempura and the empanada trio. I sampled the former and thought the batter was a bit soggy and uninteresting. She liked the latter.

Posted on: 2007/9/9 0:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/4/25 16:16
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Went last night, with what seemed to be most of the population of downtown JC.

Service was slow, they were overwhelmed by the crowd and some malfunctioning credit card machines,but everyone was cheerful. Bearing in mind that it had just opened and it really was a huge crowd and our food was amazing, we were happy with a leisurely dinner.

At our table we enjoyed appetizers: corn- crab cakes, duck-sweet potato ravioli, tofu tostada, entrees:baby back ribs ( amazingly seasoned and tender( heaven), and escarole salad, among others- sorry so caught up in eating forgot what everyone had. Desert: molten chocolate cake with mascarpone, strawberry shortcake ( beautiful), and really cute gelato mini cones.

It was an amazing gustatory experience. Even the bread was fantastic. The two dining floors are wonderful, we were upstairs.

I am so happy that we have a place like this in JC, I really missed the old Ale House ( the new management of the Ale House really doesn't com up to par.) It is worth the trip to Grove Street!

Thank you Maggie!

Posted on: 2007/9/8 12:23

SKINNERS LOFT "DELISH" ?

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/9/22 20:54
Group:
Registered Users
Went to Skinner's Loft for a late dinner and I feel ill. I was not particularly hungry so I ordered a small plate of broccoli rabe with sausage and biscuits...it sounded like an odd mix, but a combination of 3 foods I love. What appeared on my plate was regular broccoli (no rabe) which was saturated in oil, burnt frisbees of sausage (flavorless) and 3 halves of bread rolls that were somewhat gutted and hard as rocks. It was gross, luckily my salad was edible. My boyfriend's dish was supposed to be risotto with prawns, squash and carrots. The best part of which were the slivers of carrots. I have never had such tasteless risotto, it seemed to have been simmered in vegetable oil and nothing else. Perhaps we ordered the wrong items, but I am not returning; I have honestly never had such a horrible meal in Jersey City. The highlight of course, was the ambiance and the list of beers is pretty good. I am still recovering since my stomach is coated in oil, I suppose it might be a good night to go to the bar, but I will opt to stay near the toilet.

Posted on: 2007/9/8 4:45

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/10/15 22:03
Group:
Registered Users
Went in last night just to check it out. There was a decent crowd at the bar. I didn't order anything but the place looks really good-they did a great job. Very nice beer list, which has been sorely needed around here. Upstairs is beautiful...the bar area is nice, as is the food menu. Good vibe in there. I think this place is going to become a neighborhood institution. Welcome Skinner's!

Posted on: 2007/9/7 15:48

Hide User information
Last Login :
2007/11/17 21:10
Group:
Registered Users
Guess they're doing quite well so far. When I stopped in for a quick beer to check the place out they were tapped on my first two beer choices already.

Great space and feel though. There did seem to be some confusion behind the bar when I was ordering but I'm willing to forgive that as opening organization problems.

Posted on: 2007/9/7 13:27

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/2/14 14:12
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Went for dinner last night with a young in-law I was obligated to treat anyway, so...

Got there early, about 6:30, and went upstairs--first ones in! We were given the single two-seater table by the window, a very nice spot affording an unparalleled view of the Valu-Plus. The other window-side table is a large one, seating about eight. If I were to make suggestions, I think it would make more sense to have three two-seat tables by the window, giving people a few more "romantic" settings (as romantic as a view up Newark Ave. can be, anyway).

Service was prompt and helpful. I forget our waitress' name, but she was the one with long brown hair and glasses; very sweet. Even overly accommodating--I thought maybe Justiciero's review might've been posted in the kitchen. The busboys are a little clueless, attempting to remove plates not yet half-eaten, etc., but that's a minor quibble. Food arrived in good time and as ordered.

And it was real good. Had a pint of the Fuller's--excellent. Like BM, we tried the duck and sweet potato ravioli. Agreed that the individual tastes were tough to discern, but the whole package melted nicely on the tongue. Good calamari. My "date" had the salmon and enjoyed it while I ordered the hanger steak. Came medium rare as requested and tasted wonderful, very tender, lotsa garlic in the sauce, very tasty sliced potatoes and mushrooms.

Too full for dessert....

Placed was jammed by the time we finished eating.

Very comfortable space. Despite the crowd, we were never hurried. Good stuff!

Posted on: 2007/9/7 12:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/24 18:16
From "Pay for Play"
Group:
Registered Users
Met a friend there last night for appetizers(4) and beer and wine.

Two of the 4 apps were fine, the mini pulled pork sandwiches with sweet potato chips and the coconut flaked chicken strips. The duck and sweet potato ravioli was flavored nicely with garlic but found only duck bits and no taste of sweet potato at all. I had none of the empanadas trio but my friend said it was disappointing.

Our bill was amazingly low, several buybacks (thanks Kim! )and we left a generous tip. I asked for a "slow pour" on the Guinness and Kim not only complied but told the male bartender what was goin down as he seemed to want to hurry her pour wondering why beer was resting.

Place was packed, everyone having a good time, Maggie looked happy and they handled a loud-mouth patron who sat next to us with aplomb, cutting him off without manhandling him out the door.

Looking forward to returning and having dinner as well.

Posted on: 2007/9/7 4:48
Resized Image
Help US Sue Spectra! Join OR Donate!

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2007/9/19 21:47
Group:
Registered Users
Just walked by (9:30ish) place was jammed. People in LITM and folks in the Thai place, too - looks like Da Avenue might be toddling before long.

I had lunch at Skinner's Loft today and it was fine - staff was doing a good job.

Maggie has a club sandwich on the menu made with chicken. I love club sandwiches, but ever since that Seinfeld episode turkey puts me to sleep if I eat it at lunch. I am really happy about this minor innovation.

Posted on: 2007/9/7 2:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/24 18:16
From "Pay for Play"
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

BugsyBoy wrote:
where is this place?

Newark Ave tween LITM n hardware store.

Posted on: 2007/9/6 19:53
Resized Image
Help US Sue Spectra! Join OR Donate!

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/7/30 17:08
Group:
Registered Users
where is this place?

Posted on: 2007/9/6 19:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/10 14:50
From hamilton park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Justiceiro wrote:
Wow. What an experience. Let me interrupt the love fest.

1st off, let me say, though a lot of the following "Review" will be negative, I will be going back to skinners loft. Not for a while though. A good deal of the problems (though not all) are probably due to the fact that it was their first day.

The Positives:

The beer list is outstanding. A lot fo microbreweries on tap, (Blue Moon, Anchor Steam, etc.) As well as some nice standards (Yuengling, Brooklyn, etc). They have Fuller's ESB on Draft. Which is sweet. The owner was very smart to invest in a draft beer setup which allows them to carry a number of different types, and has made good choices. I can't speak to the wine, I didn't have any.

The location is nice. Very pretty inside, decent amounts of space. Sort of like "edward's" in the layout, but far more publike. Although the restuarant area upstairs is very classy. Nice for a romantic dinner, I imagine, but it could be a little less dark. It's also 4 blocks from my house, so that's nice.

The food is very good, when it is properly cooked. I had the porkchop, magnificent, others at our table had the ribs (a tad dry) and the penne, whcih looked great. I would have the porkchop, it is so good that I doubt I will ever eat anything else there.

The Negatives:

Organizational skills are badly needed. The place is shambolic. I arrived at 8:20 with my friend, waiting for an eventual party of 5. They put us in the super huge table along the window. No waiter appeared. It took me 15 minutes to get the busboy to bring me a list of wines and beers. This, however, never elicited any anyone from the restuarant actually talking to me and, perhaps, taking my beer order.

15 minutes later, my friends arrive and we get to order beer.

35 minutes into the evening, we finally get the beer, and get to see a menu.

45 minutes: we place appetizer orders.

1 hour: a totally new waiter brings us 2nd round of beer.
We place food orders.

1:15 1st waiter shows up and blames everything on the kitchen, then dissapears, we attempt to order beer from him, but fail.

1:25- waiter number three asks us what we ordered for appetizers. She writes it down. Not a good sign.

1:40 from the kitchen people appear with appetizers. They are not the ones we ordered, but they are free. And good. Except for the chicken sticks, which look tasty but are actually raw. I'm not overstating this, they were not merely pink but still gelatinous. quivering raw chicken. This rawness was not noticed until someone, wondering why the chicken was cold, held it up to the candle that was on the table (this place is very dark).

1:50- It is now 10:10 We decide to give them 10 more minutes and then go to Hollywood Fried Chicken. I am dying of hunger at this point.

5 minutes before the deadline, the food arrives. It is excellent.

The owner (I think), then announces that everything is comped.

All in all, I was amazed at the fact that we had multiple waiters, only one of them (the lady) seemed to care about us at all, and the rest were nonchallant or basically never there. Towards the end, the restaurant was pretty empty, so I can't imagine why they couldn't work out some relatively simple orders. They definitely need to be proactive- If they tell me they are having problems, I can dig that. It's the 1st day. But I must, as the customer, be kept in the loop. If you don't walk by my table for 30 minutes, I am going to get pissed. Particularly if I am out of beer.

That being said, they did the right thing and we left having had a good meal without paying a cent. I would have expected to have paid for at least something, but they comped everything without us even asking or saying anything about it.

This indicates that the management has the right attitude about service, so I am sure the rest will work itself out and it will be a great restaurant. A really great one. I will give it a few weeks to shake out a bit, then I will return. I

its opening night, of course they're going to have BUMPS in the road which is why I had a couple of beers there and then went to the white star for $5 menu.
they obviously have training to do, I watched a bartender pour an entire guinness in a frosted mug. and I mean it when I say pour, he treated it like it was miller light, filling the entire pint glass at once, never letting it properly settle in the middle of the pour. plus their computer system is not working entirely right, my first draft ran me $4.28 because it was adding 7% tax to the drink orders, the bartender told me it would be fixed by today but instead of just charging me $4 and the bar making up the difference at the end of the night I went home with a pocket of pennies. I'll try again tonight and see if it's fixed.

Posted on: 2007/9/6 18:59

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/6/11 12:35
From Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Wow. What an experience. Let me interrupt the love fest.

1st off, let me say, though a lot of the following "Review" will be negative, I will be going back to skinners loft. Not for a while though. A good deal of the problems (though not all) are probably due to the fact that it was their first day.

The Positives:

The beer list is outstanding. A lot fo microbreweries on tap, (Blue Moon, Anchor Steam, etc.) As well as some nice standards (Yuengling, Brooklyn, etc). They have Fuller's ESB on Draft. Which is sweet. The owner was very smart to invest in a draft beer setup which allows them to carry a number of different types, and has made good choices. I can't speak to the wine, I didn't have any.

The location is nice. Very pretty inside, decent amounts of space. Sort of like "edward's" in the layout, but far more publike. Although the restuarant area upstairs is very classy. Nice for a romantic dinner, I imagine, but it could be a little less dark. It's also 4 blocks from my house, so that's nice.

The food is very good, when it is properly cooked. I had the porkchop, magnificent, others at our table had the ribs (a tad dry) and the penne, whcih looked great. I would have the porkchop, it is so good that I doubt I will ever eat anything else there.

The Negatives:

Organizational skills are badly needed. The place is shambolic. I arrived at 8:20 with my friend, waiting for an eventual party of 5. They put us in the super huge table along the window. No waiter appeared. It took me 15 minutes to get the busboy to bring me a list of wines and beers. This, however, never elicited any anyone from the restuarant actually talking to me and, perhaps, taking my beer order.

15 minutes later, my friends arrive and we get to order beer.

35 minutes into the evening, we finally get the beer, and get to see a menu.

45 minutes: we place appetizer orders.

1 hour: a totally new waiter brings us 2nd round of beer.
We place food orders.

1:15 1st waiter shows up and blames everything on the kitchen, then dissapears, we attempt to order beer from him, but fail.

1:25- waiter number three asks us what we ordered for appetizers. She writes it down. Not a good sign.

1:40 from the kitchen people appear with appetizers. They are not the ones we ordered, but they are free. And good. Except for the chicken sticks, which look tasty but are actually raw. I'm not overstating this, they were not merely pink but still gelatinous. quivering raw chicken. This rawness was not noticed until someone, wondering why the chicken was cold, held it up to the candle that was on the table (this place is very dark).

1:50- It is now 10:10 We decide to give them 10 more minutes and then go to Hollywood Fried Chicken. I am dying of hunger at this point.

5 minutes before the deadline, the food arrives. It is excellent.

The owner (I think), then announces that everything is comped.

All in all, I was amazed at the fact that we had multiple waiters, only one of them (the lady) seemed to care about us at all, and the rest were nonchallant or basically never there. Towards the end, the restaurant was pretty empty, so I can't imagine why they couldn't work out some relatively simple orders. They definitely need to be proactive- If they tell me they are having problems, I can dig that. It's the 1st day. But I must, as the customer, be kept in the loop. If you don't walk by my table for 30 minutes, I am going to get pissed. Particularly if I am out of beer.

That being said, they did the right thing and we left having had a good meal without paying a cent. I would have expected to have paid for at least something, but they comped everything without us even asking or saying anything about it.

This indicates that the management has the right attitude about service, so I am sure the rest will work itself out and it will be a great restaurant. A really great one. I will give it a few weeks to shake out a bit, then I will return. I

Posted on: 2007/9/6 15:21
"Contemplate this upon the Tree of Woe."

Re: Skinner\'s Loft... delish!
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/13 19:22
Group:
Registered Users
Brewdroid - I was more interested in the wine list - however I do remember my husband being excited that there was Chimay on the bottled beer list.
I remember the list of bottled beers itself to be quite long as well ( 2 columns on the menu)

Posted on: 2007/9/6 13:39

Hide User information
Last Login :
2007/9/26 20:37
Group:
Registered Users
My wife and I poke our heads in on our way back from LITM. We tried to get a sense of the beer list. We saw a halfway decent draught list and then we saw an Affligem in someone's hand, which is definitely promising. Do you remember what other bottled beers they had? A good beer list is very important to me.

Posted on: 2007/9/6 12:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/20 2:38
Group:
Registered Users
Glad to see Skinner's is finally open. And it's good to hear that things seems to be going relatively smoothly.

The first week or two are always difficult for new restaurants, so it sounds like a promising start. I am looking forward to trying the place!

Posted on: 2007/9/6 12:48

Skinner's Loft... delish!
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/1/18 16:12
From Harsimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users
Tried Skinner's Loft last night, their first night open. Loved the menu and beer selection. The food was great (crab meat hush puppies). And what they've done to the place is amazing... check out the upstairs. It's very cool! So glad they're finally open!

Posted on: 2007/9/6 12:39

« 1 2 3 (4)

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017