Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
104 user(s) are online (94 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 104

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 27 28 29 (30) 31 32 33 ... 45 »

Re: Hamilton Park renovation?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

stevehpna wrote:
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Nothing going on out there today. Maybe they're done?

It appears that the contractor, Green Construction jumped the gun and started construction without properly notifying the city. Green has been ordered to halt construction. I'll provide an update later today as we get more information, including the status of the park closure.

My guess, and it's a good one, is that the city screwed up by not notifying the public that the park would be closing. Obviously the construction co. knew the date as they had the signs made stating it would start on 4-13-09. There was such an outcry yesterday from people when the park was suddenly closed that the city deflected the blame to Green Construction. Whatever, they should just get on with it now. The fence around the playground has been torn down and today the JC Parks Dept.(What a joke!) took away all the garbage can inserts. We can still walk our dogs which will keep the park safe in the interim because it is a spooky place when it's empty.

Garbage Can Inserts removed.
Resized Image

Posted on: 2009/4/15 18:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/12/12 21:42
From on van vorst park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Binky wrote:
Quote:

newtothearea wrote:
I guess this renovation is going to take a very long time. Let's hope they at least do it right.

Maybe I'm exaggerating in my memory, and parkman or someone else more knowledgeable than I can weigh in, but I seem to remember that the VVP renovation took about twice as long as it was supposed to. I kinda think it was closed with a big chainlink fence for two summers. Anyone else remember?

And Hamilton Park is 3 or 4 times the size!
Draw your own conclusions.
If my information is correct, their contract gives them up to one year to complete the renovation.

Posted on: 2009/4/15 17:33

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/1/22 15:44
Group:
Registered Users
Does anyone know anything about the company doing the renovation - Green Construction?

Posted on: 2009/4/15 17:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/20 2:33
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

newtothearea wrote:
I guess this renovation is going to take a very long time. Let's hope they at least do it right.

Maybe I'm exaggerating in my memory, and parkman or someone else more knowledgeable than I can weigh in, but I seem to remember that the VVP renovation took about twice as long as it was supposed to. I kinda think it was closed with a big chainlink fence for two summers. Anyone else remember?

And Hamilton Park is 3 or 4 times the size!
Draw your own conclusions.

Posted on: 2009/4/15 16:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

stevehpna wrote:
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:

It appears that the contractor, Green Construction jumped the gun and started construction without properly notifying the city. Green has been ordered to halt construction. I'll provide an update later today as we get more information, including the status of the park closure.

Whoops! I was gonna start remodeling City Hall today! Glad I didn't start!

Posted on: 2009/4/15 14:38

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/1/29 17:28
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:

Posted on: 2009/4/15 14:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

PBW wrote:
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:

rain?

If they were working high up on a building I could see that excuse but you would think they could do some of the prep work, digging etc. It isn't raining hard. It's gonna be a long wait but at least they took down some of the barriers so we can walk the dogs.

Posted on: 2009/4/15 14:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/11/1 17:27
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:

rain?

Posted on: 2009/4/15 14:15

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2009/4/15 14:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned

Posted on: 2009/4/15 13:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

djh101 wrote:
Quote:
I think that I will talk to the foreman about the possibility of them parking their vehicles on the basketball court overnight. You know that fence is not going to keep the BB players from showing up any night they feel like playing.

Sadly, the basketball court was not omitted from the new design altogether. 'Nuff said.

It seems that Green Construction will be taking their heavy machinery away every night. I guess it's a liability issue. That adds about 30-45 minutes on each end of the work-day for getting the bulldozers on and off the Flatbed trucks. Time is Money.

Posted on: 2009/4/15 3:06

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/5/15 1:20
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
I think that I will talk to the foreman about the possibility of them parking their vehicles on the basketball court overnight. You know that fence is not going to keep the BB players from showing up any night they feel like playing.

Sadly, the basketball court was not omitted from the new design altogether. 'Nuff said.

Posted on: 2009/4/15 2:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/8/9 20:03
Group:
Registered Users
And Garth says, " You're turning into a classic Irish baby boy spoiler".

Mamayool( spelling?) maker.[quote]

Posted on: 2009/4/14 23:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

justin wrote:
If that shiny metallic slide was actually plastic, it still behaved like scalding metal in the sun. Quote:

Vigilante responds:

Ever hear the term "preaching to the choir"? Meanwhile Good Luck talking reason to the basketball players, the litterers, the cricketeers, the people who don't pick up poop and the homeless.

BTW. That slide was plastic.

Oh, come-on! Do you remember what the playground was when we were kids going to Lincoln Park? If the ten foot metal slide wasn't enough, we added dirt ( much of it filled with glass from broken beer bottles) to the bottom. Don't you remember the merry-go-round when the kids from the projects would come and keep us on there until somebody either threw up or fell off and cut themselves up to all hell on the asphalt?.............and we loved it!.............lol.

Scalding metal indeed!

Posted on: 2009/4/14 23:05

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/5/20 20:55
Group:
Registered Users
If that shiny metallic slide was actually plastic, it still behaved like scalding metal in the sun. Quote:

Vigilante responds:

Ever hear the term "preaching to the choir"? Meanwhile Good Luck talking reason to the basketball players, the litterers, the cricketeers, the people who don't pick up poop and the homeless.

Posted on: 2009/4/14 21:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Binky wrote:
[quote]
justin wrote:
I am so excited this is finally happening!!! I wasn?t in the neighborhood for the voting, so I?m just hoping that someone thought about planting lots and lots of trees in the playground. It?s boiling hot in there in the summer! That metal slide is like 10,000 degrees in July! Looking forward to the new park! I hope there?s something for everyone and that we begin to be mindful of each others? needs?.kid people, dog people (dogs on leashes now that you have a place), basketball people, cricket people, sitting on benches people, picnic people, all kinds of people?..And, everyone, please let?s keep it clean!!! Bottles, and garbage, and broken glass, and dog poop, and baby diapers, and all sorts of junk??Use the trash cans already!!!!! Hopefully, there will be no excuses and no complaints when it?s done!

Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Good Luck with that.

Vigilante responds:

Posted on: 2009/4/14 20:57

Re: Hamilton Park Renovation - Update
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Oh,stop complaining. It will only take about a hundred years to grow a tree like that again. And it will give everyone a chance to work on their tans a little better.

Posted on: 2009/4/14 20:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

newtothearea wrote:
Vigilante - I hope your dog makes a mess of the basketball park. It is the one thing that really drives me crazy.

I think that I will talk to the foreman about the possibility of them parking their vehicles on the basketball court overnight. You know that fence is not going to keep the BB players from showing up any night they feel like playing. Meanwhile call the Police non-emergency number at 201-547-5477 if there are people out there. The Mayor's office number is 201-547-5200 to complain as well.

Posted on: 2009/4/14 20:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/20 2:33
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

justin wrote:
I am so excited this is finally happening!!! I wasn?t in the neighborhood for the voting, so I?m just hoping that someone thought about planting lots and lots of trees in the playground. It?s boiling hot in there in the summer! That metal slide is like 10,000 degrees in July! Looking forward to the new park! I hope there?s something for everyone and that we begin to be mindful of each others? needs?.kid people, dog people (dogs on leashes now that you have a place), basketball people, cricket people, sitting on benches people, picnic people, all kinds of people?..And, everyone, please let?s keep it clean!!! Bottles, and garbage, and broken glass, and dog poop, and baby diapers, and all sorts of junk??Use the trash cans already!!!!! Hopefully, there will be no excuses and no complaints when it?s done!

[quote]
Vigilante wrote:
Good Luck with that.

Posted on: 2009/4/14 20:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Suze wrote:
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Good-bye Old Tree.

Resized Image

Why do they need to cut down a tree?! The trees are what make Hamilton Park beautiful!!

AH! I hate it when people cut down trees!!!

Yes, This sucks. I guess it's a safety issue as many of the trees are dying. I know it's lame but I feel terrible for all the birds and squirrels but I guess/hope they can adapt and find new homes. I hope our Hawk survives and sticks around after the renovation. (I am sure the squirrels and pidgeons feel differently.)

Posted on: 2009/4/14 20:42

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/9/25 1:50
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Good-bye Old Tree.

Resized Image

Why do they need to cut down a tree?! The trees are what make Hamilton Park beautiful!!

AH! I hate it when people cut down trees!!!

Posted on: 2009/4/14 20:25

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Vigilante - I hope your dog makes a mess of the basketball park. It is the one thing that really drives me crazy.

Posted on: 2009/4/14 19:07

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/10/29 16:00
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Steve Gold wrote:
Quote:
The grass won't - and under existing laws, can't - be entirely off limits to dogs. From the Jersey City Municipal Code:

Sorry Steve, but your statement that the grass can't be entirely off limits to dogs is wrong.

I'm not advocating for any particular position or percentage, but the ordinance was written to provide flexibility for deciding how much of the park could be designated pet-free and by what process.

1. The Director of Public Works, after conducting a public meeting, may designate not more than 50% of the park as pet free.

2. Nothing stops the Director of Public works from recommending that more than 50% be so designated. If that's the case, the Municipal Council must pass a resolution to that effect.

3. Nothing in the ordinance prevents dogs from being walked anywhere on the pedestrian pathways.

Btw, the HPNA appears to have dropped the ball on getting advance notice out to the community on the commencement of construction activities. Hopefully, they can get ahead of the curve going forward.

All the best.

Geoff

Posted on: 2009/4/14 18:44

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/1/29 17:28
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

nightgownposse wrote:
hate to break it to you but I'm pretty sure the reason the dog parks are going in is cause the grass will be off limits to dogs. Usually that is the way it works and hopefully that is what will happen. Then we (humans) will actually get to enjoy it and not have to look out for land mines all the time.

The grass won't - and under existing laws, can't - be entirely off limits to dogs. From the Jersey City Municipal Code:

? 90-20. Removal and disposal of animal feces; animals not permitted access nor permitted to urinate or defecate within designated pet-free zone(s) within public parks. [Amended 1-2-1980 by Ord. No. 5-123; 10-25-2000 by Ord. No. 00-150]
A. It shall be unlawful for any person having control or custody of any animal within a city park to permit the animal to be present within any designated pet-free zone(s) or to permit the animal to urinate or defecate within any such zone(s); however, nothing in this subsection shall be construed to prohibit the presence of animals on pedestrian pathways adjacent to or within any pet-free zone(s) or to prohibit urination or defecation on such pedestrian pathways, provided that the person having custody or control of any animal complies with Subsection C of this section.
B. It shall be unlawful for any person owning or having control or custody of any animal to permit the animal to defecate or urinate upon the public property of the city or upon the private property of another unless the person immediately removes the feces and properly disposes of it; provided, however, nothing herein contained authorizes such person to enter upon the property of another without permission.
C. It shall be unlawful for any person to walk any animal on public property of the city or upon the private property of another without carrying at all times a suitable container or other suitable instrument for the removal and disposal of animal feces.
D. Handicapped persons who use Seeing Eye dogs are exempt from this section. Persons whose dogs are participating in dog shows or direct command obedience classes are also exempt from this section while their animals are actually participating in such shows or classes, but all feces must be removed and disposed of immediately upon the conclusion of the show or class.
E. The Director of Public Works shall have the authority, to designate any pet-fee zone(s) within city parks; provided, however, that not more than 50% of the area of any city park shall be designated as pet-free without prior approval of the Municipal Council via resolution.
F. Prior to designating any pet-free zone(s) within any city park, the Director of Public Works shall hold a public meeting to solicit the comments of residents on the proposed location of such zone(s). The Director of Public Works shall provide written notice of the meeting to the City Clerk and two newspapers of general circulation within Jersey City of the time and place of said meeting at least 14 days prior to its occurrence.
G. Areas within parks where pets are permitted and pet-free zones may be designated by appropriate signs, fences, and other devices consistent with the design and aesthetics of the park and the use and enjoyment of the park by all members of the public.
-----

"not more than 50% of the area of any city park shall be designated as pet-free"

There will most likely be a pet free designated area in the park, but there will still be plenty of space to walk leashed dogs.

Posted on: 2009/4/14 18:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Who the F@*#! are you?

Resized Image

Posted on: 2009/4/14 18:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Good-Bye Skate Ramp.

Resized Image

Posted on: 2009/4/14 18:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Resized Image

Posted on: 2009/4/14 17:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Resized ImageResized Image

Posted on: 2009/4/14 17:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

pazman wrote:
Quote:

I don't use dog-runs, I use the park and will continue to do so in the future.

I'm surprised you use the park, don't you have a bathroom at home?

As for your pet, I look forward to seeing him in the dog run.

That's right. Think of me while you're trying to clean off your shoe.

Posted on: 2009/4/14 17:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Good-bye Old Tree.

Resized Image