Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
64 user(s) are online (57 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 64

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 27 28 29 (30) 31 »

Re: Whole Foods sought for Downtown
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/3/8 22:08
Group:
Registered Users
I may be a penniless renter loser, but I know that you guys are shooting yourselves in the foot with this "any development is good development" mindset. So does anyone else who has any kind of clue about what makes cities work.

Minnie - You know I like you, but I can't believe you just described Newport as "elegant."

Posted on: 2006/10/19 14:08

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2006/11/7 16:44
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

rory_bellows wrote:
It's okay to criticize and express our opinion on it. I wonder why people get so offended by that here.

And isn't Newport filled with "renter losers"?

I remember a thread here a while back titled "God Bless the Lefraks." Pathetic.

and you're in a comfortable majority here - nice a capella. may be that's why i enjoy being a contrarian.
i certainly do not object to diff. opinions. so long as it is done in a civil dialogue . i can express myself much more candidly - and that is my tendency;), but i do try to check it.
in my personal opinion lefrak single handedly started the revitalization of jc - to deny that is kinda short-sighted.
yes, it could've been done better ,etc. but it is what it is and it's getting better with each new building. most of manhattan is quite ugly, but people live there not for beauty ... and now, that development of waterfront really took off - it's so-o much prettier. seems like they're at least making an effort. i was stunned by goldman getting koolhaas! that's like a cherry on a cake;). but plenty of people hate him too...
so 'the low-risers' will get their gull's cove and liberty north and 'the hi-risers' get the close waterfront. i am willing to visit the whole foods whereever it is ;).

Posted on: 2006/10/19 14:03

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/3/15 17:02
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
CK:

Quote:
I bet a Trader Joes would do just as well....

Last week on my way to the Whole Foods in Edgewater, I noticed there was a "Trader Joe's coming soon" sign on the old Showboat movie theatre. I checked their website and it is still not posted there, so it may be a while...

Posted on: 2006/10/19 13:49

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/2/23 16:05
Group:
Registered Users
I don't see anything wrong with Ethan Crane criticizing Newport's design and layout (or lack thereof). It's his opinion and mine too, and I'm sure plenty of others. Should we just be thankful that the developer gods blessed us with those buildings? Just because it's no longer rats and filth doesn't mean it's great. It's okay to criticize and express our opinion on it. I wonder why people get so offended by that here.

And isn't Newport filled with "renter losers"?

I remember a thread here a while back titled "God Bless the Lefraks." Pathetic.

Posted on: 2006/10/19 13:30

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/10/28 22:15
Group:
Registered Users
The Wine Warehouse in Millburn is fantastic, very reasonable prices and helpful staff. I think their web address is winewarehouse.com.

Posted on: 2006/10/19 13:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/8/15 13:56
Group:
Banned
Quote:

icricket wrote:

...plenty of nasty posters here all the time...

Oh yeah - icricket, you are forgetting that most of the nasties on this board are anti-real estate development penniless loser renters who are worried that they will be priced out of DT and will have to move to Greenville or Newark.

That's the ONLY motivation for their negative posts.

Perhaps if they spent less time at jclist and more time figuring out how to make money they would be happier.

Posted on: 2006/10/19 12:55

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/8/31 22:48
From jersey
Group:
Registered Users
Seems I missed the comments about liquor stores and wine stores before this thread took a turn onto a tangent, but for those that are interested, and have a car, I have two recommendations:
Riverside Wine Merchants (West NY or Edgewater?) has a good selection of mid-range wines, and monthly wine tastings. They also have presale (read-heavy discounts) opportunities throughout the year. I've never bought a bad presale wine from them. Super nice too.
About 10 minutes south of Newark Airport on the 1&9 is a liquor store. I forget the name, but it is on the northbound side of the road with a big sign that says "WINE". 20% mixed case discounts and a great selection of new world wines.

enjoy

Posted on: 2006/10/19 12:42
I'd go over 12 percent for that

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

EthanCrane wrote:

I admit it, I slammed Pavonia-Newport partly because I knew I'd get a quick response from icricket. Remember, icricket is absolutely not tied to the Pavonia-Newport developers. icricket, could you tell us again how beautiful that curved skyscraper that's replacing Pep Boys is going to be?

and you're so-o paranoid - feels almost like nwa board...(giggles).
why do some people get so bend out of shape, when i say, i prefer newport to ph? that i LIKE living in hi-rises (with great view of downtown and the bay)? oh, boy - i can't resist answering, i admit. you need to raise cricket - say newport is sterile - he'll be right up ....
yah-yah! i LOVE ellipse and metropolitan, but i love miami brikell even better! any suggestions, where i should scram next? need i be guessing? miami, of course...
it's undeniable that jc waterfront is getting dominated by hi-rises. some of you hate it, i happen to like it. 10 hi-rises = 10K people coming next - in addition to 20K already living in hi-rises and loving it....what next, you'll be hating and trying to shut up all of them? or you hope, they'll never dare to speak up or show up here?
plenty of nasty posters here all the time, what , i'm too much compared to that? to-o corporate clean for your downtown buds? to-o multicultural?

Posted on: 2006/10/19 12:32

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/5/18 18:58
Group:
Registered Users
"Beautiful Hudson River side property"

I guess you didn't live in dirty Jersey City in the 80s to see what that property looked like before the Newport area was developed. Beautiful? A more appropriate collection of adjectives:

Oil filled
Smelly
Dangerous
Junkyard
Toxic
Barren
Rotten
Dump
Ratty
Scary
"CAUTION - DO NOT ENTER"

Posted on: 2006/10/19 11:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/11/9 13:22
Group:
Registered Users
I?ve never been to Whole Foods but if it comes way downtown, I?ll give it a try. I do miss the A&P; didn?t know they were renovating, but it was a civilized shopping experience in comparison to ShopRite.

JC List is a message board, but friendly? I can hardly say it is. I suppose the spicy threads make it more interesting but what?s the sense in bashing the more positive attitude posters we have, like icricket, caitlinella, and others, just because they?re pro-development. I moved from the elegant Newport to run down Ham Park pre-Shore Club days in search of a little condo and went through heavy-duty withdrawal symptoms. I wish somebody had warned me and I may never get over it. Luckily new development projects are headed this way?.and Hamilton Park will be run down no more. Look out Paulus Hook? you?ll soon have some competition!

Posted on: 2006/10/19 10:49

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/7/20 5:33
Group:
Banned
It's disgusting. Beautiful Hudson River side property (imagine a park) ruined by corporate highrises and "Luxury Condo" (hotel) living.

Posted on: 2006/10/19 8:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/11 21:09
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

icricket wrote:
actually newport is so-o self contained - that we don't want much traffic on our 2-3 'round the square blocks - you'll have to come by path. i actually like it much better then ph and hoboken combined (naturally, since this is where i live). once we have a park up north, things will be very nice (not to mention a gourmet grocer and korean style deli to open soon). it's easy to critisize. trump built HIS buildings flush with street, so did athena and even new east of mandalay dev will be like that, on a tiny, collapsing into the water, plot... last i heard goldman is sticking another hi-rise in ...so lets not get stuck on newport...plenty of other devs are doing much worse. all developers are greedy...
my take - liberty north will be very suburban style and QUITE more isolated too. not to MY liking, but i am sure many people will be attracted to it. i just love the future 3 curved towers in the sky - that's a dream...for the whole metro area. THEY will be getting whole foods.... - i'm green with envy. still better, then driving to montclair or edgewater.

I admit it, I slammed Pavonia-Newport partly because I knew I'd get a quick response from icricket. Remember, icricket is absolutely not tied to the Pavonia-Newport developers. We've been over that before and gosh darn, it's not true.

It makes you think, though: what if developers would actually stoop so low as to try to influence public opinion through friendly neighborhood message boards? *shudder*

icricket, could you tell us again how beautiful that curved skyscraper that's replacing Pep Boys is going to be?

Posted on: 2006/10/19 3:14

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
you xenophobic, chickadee?

Posted on: 2006/10/19 0:46

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
ICRICKET? In Pavonia-Newport? Gotta be British or Indian.

Posted on: 2006/10/19 0:42

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/3/18 15:05
From John Wilkes Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

NNJR wrote:
The hate is strong in this thread. How about everyone just agree to hate everything.

Screw you........

Posted on: 2006/10/18 23:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/12/15 2:25
Group:
Registered Users
The hate is strong in this thread. How about everyone just agree to hate everything.

Posted on: 2006/10/18 23:45

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
'cause i'm STITCH - and there will be more like me, then like you soon. get ready, we'll swarm you.

Posted on: 2006/10/18 23:31

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
If you're sooo self-contained over in the sterility of Newport then why don't you get your own list and stay off of ours.

Posted on: 2006/10/18 23:09

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
actually newport is so-o self contained - that we don't want much traffic on our 2-3 'round the square blocks - you'll have to come by path. i actually like it much better then ph and hoboken combined (naturally, since this is where i live). once we have a park up north, things will be very nice (not to mention a gourmet grocer and korean style deli to open soon). it's easy to critisize. trump built HIS buildings flush with street, so did athena and even new east of mandalay dev will be like that, on a tiny, collapsing into the water, plot... last i heard goldman is sticking another hi-rise in ...so lets not get stuck on newport...plenty of other devs are doing much worse. all developers are greedy...
my take - liberty north will be very suburban style and QUITE more isolated too. not to MY liking, but i am sure many people will be attracted to it. i just love the future 3 curved towers in the sky - that's a dream...for the whole metro area. THEY will be getting whole foods.... - i'm green with envy. still better, then driving to montclair or edgewater.

Posted on: 2006/10/18 22:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/11 21:09
Group:
Registered Users
I was just looking at the pics online of Liberty Harbor North and I can't believe how gorgeous it's going to be. This is a real planned community, designed to be a comfy, livable place. Love the big walking street that runs diagonally through it. I like my house, but it's all making me jealous.

As a contrast to good planning, look at the mess that is Pavonia-Newport. Instead of creating a lovely new neighborhood along the water, the LaFraks just plopped down skyscrapers anywhere they'd fit. It's so ugly and so poorly designed. You can't even park your car legally while you run into Starbucks. Big thanks to the departed Schundler administration for selling premium land to developers who had no interest in creating a real community. It's such an opportunity wasted, it makes me wanna cry.

Posted on: 2006/10/18 22:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/11/19 15:19
Group:
Banned
I bet a Trader Joes would do just as well....

CK

Posted on: 2006/10/18 19:36

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/5/11 14:40
Group:
Registered Users
Nothing like a organic market on a former superfund site.
Wash your veggies!

Posted on: 2006/10/18 16:48

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
actually shop rite is laying in organics too...
newport's liquor shop has a very nice wine,etc selection . they'll order for you whatever you want too(it's in east chase building, around the corner on newport parkway).
and when you get a mixed wine-only box (12 bottles) - you get a 10% (?)discount. they deliver too. i think it's the best local wine shop.

Posted on: 2006/10/18 16:19

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2007/8/10 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Morris Blvd does not yet exist . . . part of the new complex.

As for Whole Foods. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE come here!! Fairway would be fine too. Or I would settle for a good butcher on Grove Street.

I know WF is way overpriced but there is nowhere to get good meat or seafood in town. And the selection of produce at WF is unmatched. As much as I love getting my groceries delivered, a woman cannot survive on FreshDirect alone, and the big markets around here are really only good for packaged foods.

Posted on: 2006/10/18 15:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/5/11 13:34
From Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
I heard months ago about Whole Foods coming to Jersey City from area locals to the building/shopping complex being built now next to the James Madison off North Blvd in Newport. Not sure where they heard about it but that was the plan. It would make more sense around there because of all the affluent highrises.

Posted on: 2006/10/18 13:33

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/8 23:34
From The Italian Village
Group:
Registered Users
PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, BRING IT ALONG!!!!!!

Posted on: 2006/10/18 12:47

Whole Foods sought for Downtown
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Whole Foods sought for Downtown
http://www.nj.com/news/jjournal/index ... 61153525279850.xml&coll=3

Wednesday, October 18, 2006
By JARRETT RENSHAW
JOURNAL STAFF WRITER

Whole Foods Market may soon bring its organic and natural food brand to Downtown Jersey City.

Several city sources told The Jersey Journal that developer Peter Mocco and Whole Foods officials are working on a deal that would land the "green" supermarket in the Liberty Harbor North development.

Whole Foods officials could not be reached for comment and Mocco would not confirm the negotiations.

However, he said: "Whole Foods is a great retailer, and it would be an asset in Jersey City. I am confident that Whole Foods is coming to Jersey City, but the exact location is a function of many things such as parking and transportation."

The Liberty Harbor North plan calls for a major retail corridor along Morris Boulevard, between Jersey Avenue and Marin Boulevard, said Mocco. The plan also calls for a "gourmet" supermarket, said Mocco.

Downtown residents have been clamoring for a gourmet supermarket for years and Whole Foods, which operates more that 155 stores throughout North America and Britain, has been at the top of their list.

JARRETT RENSHAW can be reached at jrenshaw@jjournal.com.

Posted on: 2006/10/18 12:38

Re: Whole Foods in JC?
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2007/5/31 19:51
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
I'll take a Trader Joe's...great products, much lower prices than Whole Foods.

Posted on: 2006/4/12 19:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/12/12 21:56
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Kermit42 wrote:
We're chiming in anyway because we want to believe. Like I'll dismiss the line about Whole Foods needing parking (Manhattan has several Whole Foods without parking and we're kinda like Manhattan, except without the opera). I'll dismiss the April 1st part because April 1st happens every year, and sometimes stuff that's said on that day turns out to be true. I'll dismiss the lack of a mention on the Whole Foods website because they may be negotiating the lease in secret to keep their costs down and aren't quite ready to go public with the announcement. It could be true. Maybe.

I want to believe!

I want to believe, too but I have to dismiss your dismissing the line about parking. Manhattan has a much higher population density, and its residents have made an art of living without cars. A Whole Foods just wouldn't have enough people within walking distance in JC, and not enough people would take a cab. And I don't think our lovely planners would allow a non-lot store, anyway, because it would create congestion when everyone drives there and double parks on the street. Just imagine Sobseys in Hoboken, but a hundred times worse.

I'm hoping one of these big box stores pulls out and a WF oepns up. . . .

Posted on: 2006/4/12 16:40

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/7/19 6:39
Group:
Banned
Since we are fantasizing here, I'll take a Trader Joe's over a Whole Foods any day! I am tired of walking out of WF $60 lighter and with one shopping bag on hand. Trader Joe's is my new poison!

Posted on: 2006/4/12 5:15

« 1 ... 27 28 29 (30) 31 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017