Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
140 user(s) are online (124 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 140

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 20 21 22 (23) 24 25 26 »

Re: HUGE GAS LINE COMING? Companies look to run natural gas pipeline through Jersey City
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/1/27 22:17
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Yeah I received the flyer, too. Biggest load of sh*t I've seen in some time. Just pissed me off - I will be there tonight, and I'm gonna be angry!Quote:

alek8 wrote:
In today's mail:

Resized Image

Posted on: 2010/8/4 15:46

Re: HUGE GAS LINE COMING? Companies look to run natural gas pipeline through Jersey City
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/7 17:24
Group:
Registered Users
awesome! thats also good because my walk to work is on the other side of christopher columbus ave.

apparently the meeting last night in Bayonne had a turnout of around 100 people.

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... t_bayonne_public_hea.html

Posted on: 2010/8/4 15:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/15 11:50
From Village/HP
Group:
Registered Users
Good call - I made 30 copies at work and should be home by 4:30 to start posting (I'll start near where I live on 5th/Monmouth and post around the HP area and Newark Ave). Hopefully we can get some people aware when they get home from work.

Posted on: 2010/8/4 13:28

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
thanks for linking the article from the village website comparing the arial photos of the proposed area vs. the texas explosion site.

i put some of these up on my way to work today, but if anyone else is sitting around with nothing to do today, here is a link to a PDF of a flyer to help get the word out about tonight's meeting with the FERC.

http://jerseycitygas.googlegroups.com/web/JCPipelineFlyer.PDF

from there you will have to click another link to the full size version

Posted on: 2010/8/4 12:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/2 19:00
From Jersey Cxxx
Group:
Registered Users

"I?m sure many of you reading this are well aware of the proposed constructionof a huge 30″ gas pipelineto be run through Jersey City to service New York Cityby Spectra Energy, a Texas-based company. Over the course of the year, many Jersey City residents have been unsure of the exact route the line"

http://jcvillage.org/2010/08/gas-line/

Posted on: 2010/8/4 11:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/9/7 0:45
Group:
Registered Users
I believe someone from Menendez' office will be there. It is very important to have a strong showing to make an impression on elected officials.

I cannot get over the fact that The Home Depot outside the Holland Tunnel is not permitted to sell propane, yet Spectra is proposing to build a high volume, high pressure gas line right next to the Tunnel.

Posted on: 2010/8/4 2:49

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
i got that in the mail today too. i tried to call the number but no one answered, i got a machine, however i wasn't expecting anyone to answer since it was almost 7pm. i just wanted to tell them never to send me anything again.

does anyone know if any of our elected officials plan on attending tomorrow's meeting with the FERC?

http://jerseycitygas.googlegroups.com ... PipelineFlyerWebSmall.jpg

Resized Image

Posted on: 2010/8/4 2:30

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/2/8 20:49
Group:
Registered Users
You should all check out the Gasland documentary...http://gaslandthemovie.com

Posted on: 2010/8/4 2:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
What a joke. It will reduce development and they will bring in out of towners to do the specialized work.

Move this project to New York City. Let them go through Brooklyn instead of Bayonne and Jersey City. Then ConEd can get all the hookups they could possibly want.

Posted on: 2010/8/4 0:50

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/10/26 17:52
From the best stuff on earth
Group:
Registered Users
In today's mail:

Resized Image

Posted on: 2010/8/4 0:45
My signature will be a funny quote and/or observation.

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/5/31 19:15
From Downtown JC
Group:
Registered Users
I witnessed this explosion in Edison from miles away.. scared the heck out of me and rattled my father's home until it was put out. I thought we were nuked.

This pipeline was owned by Texas Eastern and was a 36" pipe -- the same thing could happen in JC.

Texas Eastern Pipeline Explosion

Witness Description

"...causing an explosion ripping apart nearly 80 ft. of pipe, and sending debris flying over 3/4 mi. in all directions...The rupture was felt as far away as Reading Pa. and Long Island, NY."

"...a spark from flying debris, static electricity, or whatever, ignites the escaping gas. A blow torch of extremely hot flames (1500-2000 *F) some 600 ft. high and 200 yards across now exists."

Posted on: 2010/8/3 20:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/4 17:25
Group:
Registered Users
The hardest part of a terrorist attack would be getting enough explosive to a location to cause damage.

Spectra will assist would-be terrorists by placing a 42-inch wide, 5-mile long bomb through the middle of Jersey City.

All it will take is one dumb terrorist to set it off.

----

or one wayward truck, one manufacturing defect, one cut corner, one lightning strike

and BOOM, bye, bye Jersey City.

----

We face enough dangers in this city. We don't need to build more.

Posted on: 2010/8/3 18:52

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/7 16:27
Group:
Registered Users
And this, again, in the news yesterday is a perfect example of why it should not be near PATH/heavily populated areas:

2 Men Convicted in Kennedy Airport Plot
A federal jury found two Guyanese men guilty on Monday of conspiring to attack Kennedy International Airport, concluding a monthlong trial that focused on their plan to blow up fuel tanks and set off a series of explosions along a pipeline that cuts through New York City...

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/03/nyregion/03kennedy.html

Posted on: 2010/8/3 18:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Look at this Spectra pipeline go through the water.

http://www.spectraenergy.com/what_we_ ... ses/us/assets/gulfstream/

I was looking at Spectra pipeline maps. It does not appear that they have EVER built a pipeline under or over a subway line like the PATH. Difficult to tell if the line near Boston crossed their subway. It appears to go around it though.

Posted on: 2010/8/3 17:43

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/8/3 15:12
Group:
Registered Users
Attention JERSEY CITY RESIDENTS: lets unite on this fight against spectral Spectra and kick their asses out of our land! Come to our Public Meeting with the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC) this Wednesday, August 4th from 7:00 pm to 10:00 pm. at Ferris High School, 35 Colgate St. JERSEY CITY NJ 07302. Spectra will have a Q&A period from 6:00 to 7:00 PM. THIS IS THE OFFICIAL PUBLIC MEETING WITH THE FERC SO PLEASE COME! the decision as to whether this is going on or not is up to them!

Also, mail 3 letters to arrive by august 20th with your opposition and concerns to Reference Project Docket PF10-17
Kimberly D. Bose Secretary
FERC - 888 First St.. NE Room 1 A, Washington, DC 20426
Mark a copy of letter to attention:
OEP, Gas Branch 3 PJ-11.3

PLEASE DON'T START COMPLAINING ABOUT THE NOISE, THE CANCER, THE UGLINESS, THE DEPRECIATION OF YOUR REAL STATE PROPERTY WHEN IT IS ALREADY TOO LATE! Quality of life has improved in Jersey City for the last ten years. LETS NOT LET THEM FLUSH ALL OUR EFFORTS DOWN THE TOILET!

Posted on: 2010/8/3 15:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Newport has critical backoffice infrastructure for the financial industry. If the pipeline comes here, I am concerned that financial companies will be afraid to have offices here which will hurt the tax base.

There are still only about 200 comments for the project on the FERC website. We need as many people as possible to come out for the meeting tomorrow.

Posted on: 2010/8/3 14:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/25 20:40
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

coronalime wrote:
Does Jersey City own the land on which they want to build the pipeline?

Could Jersey City build a park in the path of the pipeline or designate it a historical or natural area that cannot be used for such purposes?

Most (virtually all - exceptions being lands held by Port Authority and NJ TPK authority) of the land is privately held. In the end, parks and specially designated lands are not immune to pipelines anyway. If FERC decides that the pipeline is needed and the case for alternatives isn't compelling, the proposed route will win.

Posted on: 2010/8/3 13:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Does Jersey City own the land on which they want to build the pipeline?

Could Jersey City build a park in the path of the pipeline or designate it a historical or natural area that cannot be used for such purposes?

Posted on: 2010/8/3 12:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/24 18:16
From "Pay for Play"
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

srg1 wrote:
Any concerns should be presented at the FERC meeting or filed as instructed during this initial comment period. We need to get them to move this pipeline to Staten Island. I think this pipeline is going to happen. It is just a matter of where it is placed. We need to show that Jersey City is the wrong place for it and that there are alternative places for it.

Agree. We have never been against the pipeline, only against running it through Jersey City. The alternative we support is running it from Staten Island direct to NYC under the Hudson River where it currently is planned to connect to NYC at 14th or 16th St for Con Ed and then points North for NY State. Since the direct benefit is for NYC/NY they should bear the direct risks.

There is no doubt this pipeline "is going to happen",and agree that "Jersey City is the wrong place for it and that there are alternative places for it." All public comment should emphasize the alternative of running it direct from Staten Island direct to NYC.

Posted on: 2010/8/3 12:12
Resized Image
Help US Sue Spectra! Join OR Donate!

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Any concerns should be presented at the FERC meeting or filed as instructed during this initial comment period. We need to get them to move this pipeline to Staten Island. I think this pipeline is going to happen. It is just a matter of where it is placed. We need to show that Jersey City is the wrong place for it and that there are alternative places for it.

Posted on: 2010/8/2 20:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From "Pay for Play"
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

T-Bird wrote:
[...]
Residents who can?t make the August 4, 2010 public meeting at Ferris High or who would like to see more public meetings held on the proposed Spectra Gas Pipeline Route are encouraged to email FERC at efiling@ferc.gov, making sure to use the docket number PF10-17-000.

Sending an email to the efiling@ferc.gov won't work. We've finally found the direct link to eComment and online instructions. Also, don't use the last 3 000's in the Docket # as it won't compute online in their field. Instead use PF10-17.

*NOTE* Submit written comments online. Go to http://www.ferc.gov/docs-filing/ecomment.asp Click on eComment and enter your name, address, phone and authorize eComment characters. Then you will be emailed a link. Click on link or copy to your browser address. Enter the docket number for this project which is PF10-17. Make your comments and copy them for your own reference before hitting Submit.

Posted on: 2010/8/2 19:12
Resized Image

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
FERC (Federal Energy Regulatory Commission) has the ultimate say on whether or the project may proceed and the ability to mandate changes to the proposal.

There will be a metering station near 16th and Jersey. Metering stations are known to release toxins such as benzene and naphthalene, at times in unsafe amounts.

The nearest compression station will be in Linden.

Posted on: 2010/8/2 18:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
1: Who will make the decision or authorization to place the pipeline here in Jersey City?

2: Will the pipeline have any off-gassing or emissions of any sort?

3: What kind of auxiliary infrastructure will the pipeline have? Will there be compression facilities, noisy, polluting machinery, etc?

Posted on: 2010/8/2 18:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
Healy askes FERC for extension on hearings:

Mayor Tells FERC More Meetings Are Necessary For Citizens? Voices to be Heard Before Decision Made on Spectra Gas Pipeline

On July 21, 2010, Mayor Jerramiah T. Healy sent a letter to the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission asking that the Wednesday, August 4th, 2010 public meeting concerning the proposed Spectra Gas Pipeline be delayed, or that more meetings be scheduled, so that all citizens have the chance to fully voice their opinions and concerns about the gas pipeline?s proposed route. Currently, the August 4th meeting is still scheduled to be held from 6:00 p.m. - 10:00 p.m. at Ferris High School, 35 Colgate Street.

?Right now, FERC?s current timeline will force it to make an arbitrary decision on an issue which will affect hundreds of thousands of lives,? said Mayor Healy. ?Since we will be hosting the bulk of the proposed pipeline, which runs dangerously close to the Medical Center, schools and neighborhoods, I think all citizens in Jersey City should have a full and fair opportunity to voice their opinions about the pipeline. There should be than one meeting in August, a time when many are vacationing or away.?

The August 4, 2010 meeting may be residents' only chance to voice their concerns about the gas pipeline which could greatly increase the risk to residents and their property values, and would run in close proximity to Homeland Security Department designated Tier 1 & Tier 2 Critical Infrastructure, making the pipeline, some fear, a ready target for terrorists. Download meeting flyer and landmark map.

Residents who can?t make the August 4, 2010 public meeting at Ferris High or who would like to see more public meetings held on the proposed Spectra Gas Pipeline Route are encouraged to email FERC at efiling@ferc.gov, making sure to use the docket number PF10-17-000.

Posted on: 2010/8/2 17:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
Here is a legal and practical guide to the FERC approval process prepared by a D.C.-based attorney whose practice is centered on representing landowners and communities dealing with FERC in pipeline cases. It's long but pretty easy to skim - lots of useful information.

For more information on the pipeline and what you can do to get involved in preventing it's approval, please join "Jersey City NO Gas Pipelines" in Google Groups.

Also, it is critical that we get as many people as possible to the meeting Wednesday night at Ferris High School.

Posted on: 2010/8/2 3:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From "Pay for Play"
Group:
Registered Users
The letter below from Superintendent Epps and the school board is the result of us speaking out at Wed night Board meeting. Thanks to Carol Lester and Sue Mack for getting this on the agenda at the last minute, speaking to it's importance and allowing members of the Jersey City NO Gas Pipeline to speak as well. Thanks also to Senator Lautenberg, Chris Summerhayes, Councilman Fulop, Mayor Healy, Councilman Sottalano, Jennifer Morrill, Dan Levin and many others here who have been pro-active in contacting many others to step up and object to the Spectra Natural Gas Pipeline. See you Aug 4th, 7-10 PM for comments, (6PM is for Spectra Q&A)at Ferris High School and make your comments that nite, by mail or online at www.ferc.gov. Refer to prior posts here for more detail as to addresses and processes to file before Aug 20th when scoping session ends on this project.
SpectraBOEltr_pg1 SpectraBOEltr_pg2

Posted on: 2010/8/1 0:47
Resized Image

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From "Pay for Play"
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

srg1 wrote:
Did you speak with Gene? You should try to get Gene on the phone. The interns answering the phone did not know anything.

I just got off the phone with Gene Martorony, Chief of Staff, and he has informed his interns to take caller's contact info and their reasons for objections to pipeline. You will not be able to reach Gene as he is very busy with Congressman Sires office but the interns will record the info.

DC number - 202-225-7919

Posted on: 2010/7/29 16:52
Resized Image

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Did you speak with Gene? You should try to get Gene on the phone. The interns answering the phone did not know anything.

Posted on: 2010/7/29 15:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 19:48
Group:
Registered Users
Just left my comments with Sires' office.

Posted on: 2010/7/29 14:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Gene Mariani (spelling?) of Congressman Sires' office said he has not heard from anyone regarding the pipeline. If you want to be heard, call 202-225-7919.

Posted on: 2010/7/29 14:53

« 1 ... 20 21 22 (23) 24 25 26 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017