Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
58 user(s) are online (49 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 58

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3)

Re: FULOP, DEAL WITH PEDESTRIAN & BIKE SAFETY!!
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

OneSkirt wrote:
Actually, its a long held fact that once one crosses into Bayonne via JFK Blvd that you need to slow down to the speed limit or get busted for speeding. Why? Because they have always had solid and consistent enforcement in Bayonne.. Its not that hard to do and we should be demanding it from our City.

Where would one find stats to back this up? Like traffic tickets per officer or per capita? Clearly our neighbors to the N & S have better enforcement. Of course one expects the JCPD to respond "we have more crime to deal with and don't have time for traffic". Hence my proposal for a traffic division.

Posted on: 2016/9/30 17:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/12 15:20
From Downtown Ex Pat happy in McGinley Sq.
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Dolomiti wrote:
Quote:

Sully wrote:

You think this guy hit by the cab would fly 50 feet through the air if the cab were driving the speed limit, or close to the speed limit?

Yes.

The driver could easily have been driving at 30 - 35mph, and thrown the pedestrian 50 feet. Cars have a large amount of mass, and pedestrians do not. That's still speeding, but also very typical speeds not just on JFK, but on similar roads pretty much anywhere in the US. I see people drive like that all the time in the 'burbs.

http://www.mcnallyassociates.com/onlinetools/speedfromthrow.htm

Plus, I still haven't seen data suggesting that the pedestrian/cyclist fatality rate in JC is disproportionately high. If anything, that seems to be a national issue, not a local one.

I.e. suggesting that drivers suddenly lose their minds once they cross the city border does not appear to be justified.

Quote:
I walk or ride my bike on JFK 7 days a week, and it is terrifying.

You really shouldn't ride on JFK. Or expect the city to put real bike lanes onto JFK.

One of the goals of bicycle routes is that it encourages cyclists to avoid the roads with faster and more auto traffic.

I highly recommend you find a parallel route.

Actually, its a long held fact that once one crosses into Bayonne via JFK Blvd that you need to slow down to the speed limit or get busted for speeding. Why? Because they have always had solid and consistent enforcement in Bayonne.. Its not that hard to do and we should be demanding it from our City.

Yes, its a national problem, potentially. But none of what you put forth give the Mayor/City a pass to do nothing about it.

Posted on: 2016/9/30 16:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/11/14 1:56
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Sully wrote:

You think this guy hit by the cab would fly 50 feet through the air if the cab were driving the speed limit, or close to the speed limit?

Yes.

The driver could easily have been driving at 30 - 35mph, and thrown the pedestrian 50 feet. Cars have a large amount of mass, and pedestrians do not. That's still speeding, but also very typical speeds not just on JFK, but on similar roads pretty much anywhere in the US. I see people drive like that all the time in the 'burbs.

http://www.mcnallyassociates.com/onlinetools/speedfromthrow.htm

Plus, I still haven't seen data suggesting that the pedestrian/cyclist fatality rate in JC is disproportionately high. If anything, that seems to be a national issue, not a local one.

I.e. suggesting that drivers suddenly lose their minds once they cross the city border does not appear to be justified.

Quote:

You really shouldn't ride on JFK. Or expect the city to put real bike lanes onto JFK.

One of the goals of bicycle routes is that it encourages cyclists to avoid the roads with faster and more auto traffic.

I highly recommend you find a parallel route.

Posted on: 2016/9/30 16:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

kencares wrote:
Fulop neither cares about improving traffic safety nor does he have the knowledge or skill set to do so.

We need a new mayor who truly cares about the safety of Jersey City's residents.

The first part of your statement (not caring) - I'd agree with, and its a huge problem. The second part I think is false. He only has to make it a priority and let the experts improve it, and just stay on them to make them follow through.

Posted on: 2016/9/30 16:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/28 15:11
Group:
Registered Users
Fulop neither cares about improving traffic safety nor does he have the knowledge or skill set to do so.

We need a new mayor who truly cares about the safety of Jersey City's residents.

Posted on: 2016/9/30 15:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

corybraiterman wrote:
For those rhetorically asking about crossing in the pathway and speeding, if you look at the pictures, the dude's hat and sneakers are in the middle of the intersection. This means he was probably in the crosswalk. If you're struck by a car, clothing on your extremities are subject to whiplash and tend to get knocked off right away (although the other major opportunity for that to happen is during impact with the ground, so that is a possibility). http://i.imgur.com/NkleEfD.gif for a much tamer version of this.

Also, in order for the body itself to be thrown "50 feet", the driver had to be going at a significant rate of speed, probably well over the 25 speed limit.

Obviously no idea bout crossing against or with the light because no one has any idea on that, but you can figure out the answers to two out of those three posits.

In other nits to pick,
Quote:

brewster wrote:
like ticketing those at 4th & Marin who cross against the DON'T WALK

There's no crosswalk on 4th and Marin. You mean 3rd? Because that entire crosswalk area is a giant shitshow in every possible way

Incorrect assumption on this victim. He was thrown 50 ft. That much we know. And then clothing likely flies off him too. So, no - we don't know where he crossed. Steven Clifford in 2013 crossed at the crosswalk and was thrown about 75-80 ft. Where he crossed the street is really irrelevant at this point.

The point is that speed kills and needs to be enforced, and this is something the city can and should do. If the guy was hit by the car going 25 or even 35mph, he'd likely still be alive.

Posted on: 2016/9/30 15:42

Edited by OneSkirt on 2016/9/30 15:59:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

corybraiterman wrote:

In other nits to pick,
Quote:

brewster wrote:

There's no crosswalk on 4th and Marin. You mean 3rd? Because that entire crosswalk area is a giant shitshow in every possible way

I think the west exit from Shoprite is 4th because it's marked 4th at the other end on Washington. Signage and map show "Metro Plaza Dr". Whatever, we agree it's a shitshow.

Posted on: 2016/9/30 15:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/28 22:07
Group:
Registered Users
For those rhetorically asking about crossing in the pathway and speeding, if you look at the pictures, the dude's hat and sneakers are in the middle of the intersection. This means he was probably in the crosswalk. If you're struck by a car, clothing on your extremities are subject to whiplash and tend to get knocked off right away (although the other major opportunity for that to happen is during impact with the ground, so that is a possibility). http://i.imgur.com/NkleEfD.gif for a much tamer version of this.

Also, in order for the body itself to be thrown "50 feet", the driver had to be going at a significant rate of speed, probably well over the 25 speed limit.

Obviously no idea bout crossing against or with the light because no one has any idea on that, but you can figure out the answers to two out of those three posits.

In other nits to pick,
Quote:

brewster wrote:

Posted on: 2016/9/30 15:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Sully wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
JC has drivers who don't know how to drive, pedestrians who don't follow traffic rules, bikers on the sidewalks, no one obeys traffic signs and lights.

Everyone is to blame.

I agree that all parties contribute to what can be a chaotic environment on the roads, but it's drivers going 20, 30 mph over the posted speed limits that are responsible for DEATHS in these cases.

Thank you, this is my whole point! This thread is a plea for ENFORCEMENT and a real commitment from our Mayor to address the city-wide problem of terrible pedestrian & biking safety caused [mostly] by a culture of chronic speeding and reckless driving that's been permitted to exist unchecked for so long. You get enforcement out there, speeds should go down, all people on the roads hopefully start to pay more attention to operating safer on the roads.

Traffic Enforcement is also a presence that has the secondary positive effect of potentially lowering other crimes as Police become more visible in neighborhoods, and criminals drive - traffic stops often catch criminals. Also, getting killed by a speeding car is a violent crime. That needs to be acknowledged. The rate of death by auto in JC when put beside the stats of deaths by other criminal means is pretty high ratio, actually. We've pulled the data and its staggering how many of the criminal deaths (including death by auto in that sum) are caused by car crashes.

Its an easy win for the Mayor on so many levels and we need to demand it.

Posted on: 2016/9/30 13:50

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/5/28 4:29
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
JC has drivers who don't know how to drive, pedestrians who don't follow traffic rules, bikers on the sidewalks, no one obeys traffic signs and lights.

Everyone is to blame.

I agree that all parties contribute to what can be a chaotic environment on the roads, but it's drivers going 20, 30 mph over the posted speed limits that are responsible for DEATHS in these cases.

Posted on: 2016/9/30 3:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Monroe wrote:

Everyone is to blame.

End times are near, I agree 100% with Monroe's post!

As for my camera equipped Traffic Officer, it's not at all clear to me it would not be legal. It's not "automated", which is the legislative description of the systems no longer in use (from the act: "?Automated traffic law enforcement? means the utilization of an automated traffic control")

It would simply be an extension of a cop seeing someone break the law and ticketing them. Stand at the corner of Columbus and Monmouth and shoot endless cars abusing the turn lane to pass the line of cars going straight, then move to another intersection to shoot roll throughs, so drivers have no idea where they might be filmed next. Another Officer reviews recordings and the system send out tickets. Result: OBEYING THE FUCKING LAW!!

I restate, make them no points same as the cams, so it's a painful bite but not enough to make people fight it in a deathmatch fearing for their insurance and license. Oh yeah, lets include jaywalking pedestrians in the fun, like ticketing those at 4th & Marin who cross against the DON'T WALK stealing the brief left turn light.

And just to over the top radical, people should have to retake the written exam several times after they get their licenses, like at 1 year, 3 years and 5 years. Clearly the once is not enough for them to know what to do on our roads.

Posted on: 2016/9/30 0:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users

Everyone is to blame.

Posted on: 2016/9/29 22:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/11/14 1:56
Group:
Registered Users
OK, hang on.

Do we know that the taxi driver broke the law? Do we know if the driver was speeding, or ran a stop sign or red light?

Maybe we should wait until more details are released before hammering the city on this.

How many pedestrians and cyclists are killed in JC? Is it an excess number given the density and population?

Posted on: 2016/9/29 22:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Agreed, but as previously explained NJ state has outlawed both red light and speed cameras. So not an option right now. But enforcement is.

Posted on: 2016/9/29 20:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

OneSkirt wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Deaths on Kennedy Blvd increase when the county at the urging of then mayor Schundler asked the county executive to eliminate the county cops. They patrolled Kennedy and Tonnelle to stop the speeding.

This is a city-wide problem. This factoid does not help the current problem.
cameras would help!

Posted on: 2016/9/29 19:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Deaths on Kennedy Blvd increase when the county at the urging of then mayor Schundler asked the county executive to eliminate the county cops. They patrolled Kennedy and Tonnelle to stop the speeding.

This is a city-wide problem. This factoid does not help the current problem.

Posted on: 2016/9/29 18:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
12/27 19:08
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/9/29 18:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
would placing cobblestones on sections of kennedy be il

Posted on: 2016/9/29 18:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
i think more speeedbumps throughout the city would help...even on kennedy and columbus

I've said before we don't have a roadway engineering problem that requires more speed bumps and multiway stop signs, we have an enforcement problem, because there's no credible deterrent to scofflaw driving. As that recent video showed, no one stops at stop signs, so more of them are useless. The cops don't ticket, the red light cameras fell to a political campaign against them, and we never had speeding cams, which would have been awesome for JFK.

I propose a new Traffic Division in the Dept of Public Safety. NYC has this. Get people out there giving tickets and they can pay for themselves. There can also be a "human traffic cam" program, Traffic Officers with cameras, able to stop anywhere and record scofflaws. It might even make sense to make those tickets "no points" like the fixed cam ones, no need to pull anyone over, just stand there at a corner and record. Same for speeders. We have this technology, hi def cams and the whole website thing where you see yourself caught cold.

Lets think outside the box rather than make every street in JC a row of speed bumps and every intersection 4 way stop. Hoboken functions fine without them, likely because they have cops that actually enforce.

Unfortunately, we also have NJ laws against both red light and speed cams. :(

But YES - JC needs a traffic enforcement division!!

AGAIN - join the campaign and TWEET THE MAYOR! We need to put the public pressure on, and this is one big way you all can help!

Posted on: 2016/9/29 16:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
i think more speeedbumps throughout the city would help...even on kennedy and columbus

I've said before we don't have a roadway engineering problem that requires more speed bumps and multiway stop signs, we have an enforcement problem, because there's no credible deterrent to scofflaw driving. As that recent video showed, no one stops at stop signs, so more of them are useless. The cops don't ticket, the red light cameras fell to a political campaign against them, and we never had speeding cams, which would have been awesome for JFK.

I propose a new Traffic Division in the Dept of Public Safety. NYC has this. Get people out there giving tickets and they can pay for themselves. There can also be a "human traffic cam" program, Traffic Officers with cameras, able to stop anywhere and record scofflaws. It might even make sense to make those tickets "no points" like the fixed cam ones, no need to pull anyone over, just stand there at a corner and record. Same for speeders. We have this technology, hi def cams and the whole website thing where you see yourself caught cold.

Lets think outside the box rather than make every street in JC a row of speed bumps and every intersection 4 way stop. Hoboken functions fine without them, likely because they have cops that actually enforce.

Posted on: 2016/9/29 16:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hero69 wrote:

I feel you. But where you can and cannot place speed humps is tightly regulated by the DOT. There is strict criteria on this. For instance, roadways over a certain capacity (and Columbus, Mari & JFK blvd fall in this category) are not eligible for speed humps at all.

Posted on: 2016/9/29 15:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/9/29 15:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

GlitterQueen wrote:
There are multiple issues that need to be addressed along Kennedy. The drivers are a problem as are the pedestrians. I do not know if this person was crossing in the crosswalk or when they had a red light but Kennedy and the streets that run parallel have a huge issue with jaywalkers. The drivers drive way too aggressive and way to fast and a lot of people just wander into the middle of the road bc they don't want to walk to the crosswalk and wait for the light.

The walk signs need to turn to walk when the light goes red, the drivers need to slow down and stop blowing red lights (ticket the drivers), and people need to use the crosswalk and not cross against the light. JFK is super busy and I see people jaywalking with children!

Oh and we NEED Bike lanes on JFK and people please don't ride your bike against traffic it is do dangerous. I ride down Bergan bc JFK is too dangerous and I don't like riding on the sidewalk. Bergan can still be sketchy between the aggressive drivers, the busses, the double parking, jaywalkers, and bikes riding against traffic.

The safety issue is more than just the drivers.

All valid. But Fulop has ignored community pleas and invites to meetings to discuss traffic safety and enforcement! The County Engineers have been putting in a lot of effort to improve this particular road - but you don't see it yet because their projects are grant funded and take 4-5 years to implement, BUT ITS COMING! I helped push the county to do a major project which led to the first grant of $3.6m (first of many grant apps to come for this road). Construction on this first part starts in Spring 2017,process was started Fall 2013 to give you an idea of the time span required. The County is truly stepping up!

Thing is engineering takes time and is only 50% of the solution, so you don't see it right way. Enforcement improvements, the other 50% of the solution, can be made much faster. Both of these pieces have to happen. We cannot engineer out way out of this. Fulop has IGNORED THIS problem of chronic reckless driving and speeding city-wide. He wants to be our Mayor again?? Well, then WE NEED to make this a PUBLIC problem for him. And that starts with taking to Twitter. Please help us out.

Posted on: 2016/9/29 15:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/2/2 21:22
Group:
Registered Users
There are multiple issues that need to be addressed along Kennedy. The drivers are a problem as are the pedestrians. I do not know if this person was crossing in the crosswalk or when they had a red light but Kennedy and the streets that run parallel have a huge issue with jaywalkers. The drivers drive way too aggressive and way to fast and a lot of people just wander into the middle of the road bc they don't want to walk to the crosswalk and wait for the light.

The walk signs need to turn to walk when the light goes red, the drivers need to slow down and stop blowing red lights (ticket the drivers), and people need to use the crosswalk and not cross against the light. JFK is super busy and I see people jaywalking with children!

Oh and we NEED Bike lanes on JFK and people please don't ride your bike against traffic it is do dangerous. I ride down Bergan bc JFK is too dangerous and I don't like riding on the sidewalk. Bergan can still be sketchy between the aggressive drivers, the busses, the double parking, jaywalkers, and bikes riding against traffic.

The safety issue is more than just the drivers.

Posted on: 2016/9/29 15:14

FULOP, DEAL WITH PEDESTRIAN & BIKE SAFETY!!
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Yet another senseless death has occurred in JC due to the chronic culture of speeding and reckless driving that our Mayor refuses to address. We've been begging him for years (at least 4 years to be exact, after the death of Steven Clifford!) for more enforcement on JFK Blvd and to make improving safety on our streets a priority. He stands us up at meetings, he won't deal with it.

Before anyone says it - JC has enforcement jurisdiction on all roads in JC, even county roads. The CITY/JCPD are responsible for creating and managing en enforcement plan city-wide.

Pedestrian struck and killed crossing Jersey City street, officials say

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... y.html#incart_2box_hudson

Its time to hit him publicly, folks. Because as we've all seen for 3.5 years - public image drives this pol. And here's an easy way to help the effort no matter what part of the city you live in.

Please TWEET @stevenfulop about this crash, and anytime you feel unsafe as a pedestrian or cyclist or see any dangerous driving, close calls, witness crashes, etc.. We need to hit him now and consistently going forward. MAKE SURE YOU INCLUDE #jcmakeityours in your tweet. And if you have space left, add in #jcmakeitsafe.

We have to start more public pressure as residents.

Posted on: 2016/9/29 14:41

« 1 2 (3)

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017