Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
150 user(s) are online (136 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 150

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3)

Re: redevelopment plan for city hall
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/12/28 0:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
It is obvious JCMan24, you have not attended a council meeting. Citizens from all over this city come to various meetings, without those parking lots, you are basically telling citizens their comments are not important. Let me remind you, mass transit is a joke here. There was more buses in the 1960s and 1970s than today. Besides bus routes do not travel pass midnight. Some meetings are past midnight when city packs over 100 items (resolutions and ordinances) on the agenda. Every time we get a reformer in city hall, the public always lose. The last reformer gave the water department to United Water and our bills increased regardless of our water saving devices. Now this reformer wants to take away free speech by eliminating parking.

So you need a car to make comments at council meetings? Would have thought we'd want a level playing field in JC.

Course you don't give a shit about anyone except yourself Yvonne.

Your mother must be very proud that you can spell a four letter word. But I don't need a car to get to city hall but my neighbors do. For years I walked two blocks to City Hall, now I am a walking distance to the PATH station. This is not about me, it is about public access and people do need cars especially at night to attend public meetings. We know there is no parking in the surrounding Van Vorst Park area. This redevelopment plan eliminates the public access for meetings.

Did you miss the part of my post where I gave you a tip, that anyone can park their cars at Grove Pointe or 50 Columbus?

Here is another option:
Simon Parking
195 Montgomery Street (across the street from City Hall)
http://www.destinationjerseycity.com/ ... ound/parking-jersey-city/

No need to thank me.

Posted on: 2015/7/14 2:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
It is obvious JCMan24, you have not attended a council meeting. Citizens from all over this city come to various meetings, without those parking lots, you are basically telling citizens their comments are not important. Let me remind you, mass transit is a joke here. There was more buses in the 1960s and 1970s than today. Besides bus routes do not travel pass midnight. Some meetings are past midnight when city packs over 100 items (resolutions and ordinances) on the agenda. Every time we get a reformer in city hall, the public always lose. The last reformer gave the water department to United Water and our bills increased regardless of our water saving devices. Now this reformer wants to take away free speech by eliminating parking.

So you need a car to make comments at council meetings? Would have thought we'd want a level playing field in JC.

Your mother must be very proud that you can spell a four letter word. But I don't need a car to get to city hall but my neighbors do. For years I walked two blocks to City Hall, now I am a walking distance to the PATH station. This is not about me, it is about public access and people do need cars especially at night to attend public meetings. We know there is no parking in the surrounding Van Vorst Park area. This redevelopment plan eliminates the public access for meetings.

Posted on: 2015/7/14 2:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/12/28 0:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
The city is not saying what they want with the parking lot. But let's be realistic, how do people in different parts of the city attend meetings?

If you insist on driving, park at either Grove Pointe (3min walk), or 50 Columbus (6min walk). Don't be dumb AND lazy.

Posted on: 2015/7/14 2:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/2/27 14:41
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:

Hah, obviously. That's the only solid reasoning she actually offers up for anything. Everything else is just vague conspiracy theories.

Posted on: 2015/7/14 2:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:

Posted on: 2015/7/14 1:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
All major streets had buses. Newark Avenue had different buses routes some even to Hoboken. JC was a factory town, as the factories closed the buses basically stopped running.

Posted on: 2015/7/14 1:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:

How many buses were there in the 1960s and 1970s? How many are there today?

Posted on: 2015/7/14 0:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/7/13 23:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Quote:

K-Lo wrote:
Are "civilians" allowed to use that lot? I thought it was designated for city personnel.

In the evening when the personnel has left, citizens have been using both parking lots to attend public meetings. That has been the tradition for a long time, especially for handicapped and seniors. Eliminating the lots is telling the public their input is not necessary to the public conversation.

Solution: Build on the parking lot so it contributes to the social fabric rather than detract from it. Convert all spaces around city hall to handicapped only spaces. Everyone else can take public transit, bicycle, or walk.

Why do I feel like this is Yvonne's vision for a model city?

Resized Image

Posted on: 2015/7/13 21:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

K-Lo wrote:
Are "civilians" allowed to use that lot? I thought it was designated for city personnel.

In the evening when the personnel has left, citizens have been using both parking lots to attend public meetings. That has been the tradition for a long time, especially for handicapped and seniors. Eliminating the lots is telling the public their input is not necessary to the public conversation.

Posted on: 2015/7/13 20:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Would love to see that parking lot developed into something tasteful. Don't all city employees live in JC? Can most likely get to City Hall by Path, Bus, or Light Rail. Or bike.

Posted on: 2015/7/13 20:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 19:48
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/7/13 20:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
The city is not saying what they want with the parking lot. But let's be realistic, how do people in different parts of the city attend meetings? I called people to attend meetings on matters that effect their wards and they came down but could not find parking. Since JC is almost 15 square miles, parking should be parking of any municipal plan.

Posted on: 2015/7/13 20:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/7/30 1:08
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users

no, I have not. I just saw it in the agenda over the weekend. unless, someone else know more, I do not believe that the city has done any outreach or put forth proposals.

if one goes by what has happened in the past, it could be anything, because in a redevelopment plan, you start from zero, there are no longer any zoning restrictions.

keep in mind, a redevelopment plan is NOT necessary to develop the land according to existing zoning or to even get variances, but if this piece of land in the midst of booming Downtown Jersey City, is determined to be an area in need of redevelopment area by the blight study (and it always is), then the city will be able to do as I mentioned - break the historic district zoning and now be able to grant another downtown tax abatement.

Quote:

Sommerman wrote:
so DanL - have you learned anything more about a redevelopment plan for City Hall?

Posted on: 2015/7/13 19:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

DanL wrote:
there is a resolution, Res. 15.517 to declare the "City Hall Study" area as a redevelopment area on the agenda for this weeks caucus and council meeting.

is the city trying to break the historic district zoning and now be able to grant another downtown tax abatement?

btw, if you wish to attend, the meetings are at 10 am.

Oh no, they want to do something with a parking lot. Oh my. Oh goodness.

Resized Image

Posted on: 2015/7/13 19:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 19:48
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/7/13 18:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/11/15 0:07
From Harsimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users
so DanL - have you learned anything more about a redevelopment plan for City Hall?

Posted on: 2015/7/13 17:44

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/19 13:13
From Journal Square
Group:
Registered Users
EXACTLY...those individuals living in the "luxury" highrises that get all of these tax abatements are the wealthiest of us all. So sad to see that the wealthiest get the tax breaks like this. There is no way anyone is gonna tell me/us that those millionaires living in these abated apartments are contributing their fair share. Not blaming them for picking up a good deal in an million plus condo, but it's true nonetheless! The tax money has to come somewhere ands in these cases, the RE taxpayers of JC cover the tab for the poor rich folks who pay almost nothing.

Posted on: 2015/7/13 16:26

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/6/19 18:03
From Grove St.
Group:
Registered Users
Without knowing specifics of your examples, the ones I know of were because the condos didn't sell and they made them rental units, and as rental units the taxes were indeed less. Either way the other property owners get screwed, because even if the the PILOT goes away, but the penalty that the other property owners have been paying gets lost in the mix and never given back.

Posted on: 2015/7/13 14:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/8 3:24
Group:
Registered Users
That's not true. There have even been condos who voted to terminate their PILOT early because it cost MORE than taxes in the long run.

Posted on: 2015/7/13 14:15

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/6/19 18:03
From Grove St.
Group:
Registered Users
Of course they are getting a price slash, without this benefit, they never would agree. Where does it say that PILOTs are equal to taxes. The City's component is greater, and the county gets nothing. The rest of the property owners get to make up the shortfall. Spin it how you wish, the injured parties in the abatement process are ALWAYS the rest of property owners in the city who get no benefit from the abatement, but always foot the bill in the form of tax increases. The City only passes the blame to the County, when the root cause is almost always the City.

Posted on: 2015/7/13 13:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/8 3:24
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

and now be able to grant another downtown tax abatement?

Can we please stop using this word to try to scare people? For the millionth time, THESE BUILDINGS STILL PAY FEES EQUIVALENT TO TAXES, but rather than a lot of it going to the state the City gets it all. You make it sound like these people are getting some price slash just beacuse it goes by another name.

Posted on: 2015/7/13 13:36

redevelopment plan for city hall
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/7/30 1:08
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
there is a resolution, Res. 15.517 to declare the "City Hall Study" area as a redevelopment area on the agenda for this weeks caucus and council meeting.

is the city trying to break the historic district zoning and now be able to grant another downtown tax abatement?

btw, if you wish to attend, the meetings are at 10 am.

Posted on: 2015/7/12 17:30

« 1 2 (3)

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017