Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
88 user(s) are online (73 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 88

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Re: In Jersey City, a sidewalk memorial honors a cop killer
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/5 18:27
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
hmmm... complaining about a problem without proposing a solution is called whining.

No all complaining is without merit and not all whining is worthless. Not everyone has all of the answers to every question. Bringing a problem to the forefront is the first step to resolving it, even if the person proposing it has no solutions. Saying that a problem should never be discussed if you don?t have a solution is rather defeatist. If that were the case, then only Stephen Hawking is allowed to complain?

Posted on: 2014/7/15 16:43
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
hmmm... complaining about a problem without proposing a solution is called whining.

Posted on: 2014/7/15 16:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

Pebble wrote:

Do you really believe the issue is the lack of a father figure?? I am not going to argue that a dual parent home isn?t beneficial, but you walk a dangerous route claiming that gangs, violence and everything else that is wrong in the world comes down to single mother homes.

Yes, I do believe this is a large part of the issue. I read a quote recently where someone made the argument that much of gang life comes down to members essentially filling in the void for a father figure. The gang rewards and punishes, just as a father would. The gang also provides the cohesive social structure that otherwise would be found in a two parent house.

Under the current situation, the mother works two jobs to get by while the child returns to the empty house. This becomes untenable over time, so the child joins a gang which fills in the parenting gap, to disastrous results, eventually creating a Lord of the Flies type situation.

I really do believe that things would be a lot better for all involved if that 75% fatherless figure was greatly reduced.

I won't disagree that two parents, working in unison, can provide a happy, healthy and productive structure that encourages good behavior. However, your key notation there wasn't that there was one parent. It was that there was one parent which was also largely absent; "the mother works two jobs to get by while the child returns to the empty house". It seems to me that you recognize the problem isn't the lone parent. It is the issue of poverty and the lengths at which one parent must go in order to try and provide for that child.

Yes, studies were done which can link fatherless children to rudderless kids. However, is it not more plausible, even more probable, that the type of fathers which would abandon their children will not be producing offspring which could be all that productive to begin with? This is the nature v. nurture argument.

Posted on: 2014/7/15 16:09
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/9/14 20:15
From Crystal Point
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

Pebble wrote:

Do you really believe the issue is the lack of a father figure?? I am not going to argue that a dual parent home isn?t beneficial, but you walk a dangerous route claiming that gangs, violence and everything else that is wrong in the world comes down to single mother homes.

Yes, I do believe this is a large part of the issue. I read a quote recently where someone made the argument that much of gang life comes down to members essentially filling in the void for a father figure. The gang rewards and punishes, just as a father would. The gang also provides the cohesive social structure that otherwise would be found in a two parent house.

Under the current situation, the mother works two jobs to get by while the child returns to the empty house. This becomes untenable over time, so the child joins a gang which fills in the parenting gap, to disastrous results, eventually creating a Lord of the Flies type situation.

I really do believe that things would be a lot better for all involved if that 75% fatherless figure was greatly reduced.

I agree, this phenomenon is finely portrayed in the documentary Boyz n the Hood.

Posted on: 2014/7/15 16:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Pebble wrote:

Posted on: 2014/7/15 15:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/18 17:32
Group:
Registered Users
This kind of silly liberal debate is partly what got us here in the first place. The memorial is an outrage to anyone with a conscience. It was taken down. End of story.

Posted on: 2014/7/15 15:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/27 0:25
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Pebble wrote:
Quote:

JadedJC wrote:
Quote:

Pebble wrote:

Their first amendment rights were not trampled. Nobody went to jail for it and nobody was fined for it. If these people are that insistent on putting up a shrine, they can do so on their own private property and not on property in which they don?t own.

Well, that was private property as the sign in the first photo clearly states. Of course, I'm assuming that the owner of the building was OK with this when they started putting all this stuff up. It's one thing if the owner had the display taken down, quite another that Fulop "had it taken down."

There is a sign on the private property dictating that the police monitor and maintain it. Secondly, the candles on the sidewalk is clearly litter. As such, it is within the city's control to remove it.

If only the city were as prompt and diligent removing litter throughout the city and applied the same standard to all memorials...

Posted on: 2014/7/15 15:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JadedJC wrote:
Quote:

Pebble wrote:

Their first amendment rights were not trampled. Nobody went to jail for it and nobody was fined for it. If these people are that insistent on putting up a shrine, they can do so on their own private property and not on property in which they don?t own.

Well, that was private property as the sign in the first photo clearly states. Of course, I'm assuming that the owner of the building was OK with this when they started putting all this stuff up. It's one thing if the owner had the display taken down, quite another that Fulop "had it taken down."

There is a sign on the private property dictating that the police monitor and maintain it. Secondly, the candles on the sidewalk is clearly litter. As such, it is within the city's control to remove it.

Posted on: 2014/7/15 15:36
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Pebble wrote:

Posted on: 2014/7/15 15:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/7 17:48
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JadedJC wrote:
Quote:

moobycow wrote:
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

JCishome wrote:
In this case, #OOPS# the first amendment.

Uh, no why?

Does this First Amendment only apply to what you like? You're missing the point, then.

Well it doesn't apply everywhere. This instance could very easily be seen as inciting violence, in which case it does not apply.

Um, no, it doesn't even come close to passing the tests set by the Supreme Court, such as shouting "fire" in a crowded theater. There were no fighting words, no obscenities. Nor does it defame or libel anyone. As far as I could tell from the news coverage, the display was merely expressions of grief by the gunman's family and friends. They don't urge anyone to commit violence, and I don't think anyone who heard about this even thought the display reflected the views of the vast majority of JC residents. Give the public some credit. The whole point of living in a free and open society is the tolerance of views at odds with our own.

You're likely correct (to be honest I didn't read a damn thing about what the memorial said or didn't say and was basing it on the Mother's remarks that he should have taken more with him).

If this was on private property the police were in the wrong, but having your public mess cleaned up is not an infringement of your right to free speech.

Edited for clarity and speling mistooks.

Posted on: 2014/7/15 15:24

Edited by moobycow on 2014/7/15 15:46:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JadedJC wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
"I had it taken down last night," Fulop said. "I am not going to let a few residents pretend like they express the views of a great city like Jersey City."

More

Did NJ.com post the right slideshow? The photo captions mention someone else and a different shooting incident. As much as I heartily disagree with paying tribute to a murderer, I am disappointed that Fulop is essentially taking credit for trampling on someone's First Amendment rights. (Yes, I know I'm going to get flamed for saying this)

EDIT: NJ.com just fixed the photo captions.

Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

Pebble wrote:
Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:
Ahhh and now a news reporter has been suspended for speaking his mind on this topic:

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2014/ ... utm_campaign=ShareButtons

Keep digging your goddamn heads in the sand people. Keep firing the people with opinions who aren't afraid to speak the truth on this topic.

Pathetic. Absolutely pathetic.

Dude, you're just going off the rails here. I suggest you take a step back from blaming non-white people for all of the problems and take a hard look at yourself.

There isn't some vast liberal media. Nor is there a conspiracy to pretend that there are no problems.

I agree he is coming off as unhinged, but currently these problems plaguing JC are all caused by black gang members. That's just a fact. Three more cops were injured today and I don't need to read an article to know what the perps look like.

And the cause of the problem is multifold, poverty, lack of education, etc. But the NJ news reporter nailed it on the head when he said all of this stems from blacks growing up without fathers.

It is sad that one cannot say this in public, because I think if this problem were confronted head on, we all would benefit.

I?m sorry, but I?m not going to buy it. There are numerous examples of single parent homes in which children turn out just fine. Heck, given the current divorce rate in the country, it seems as though more people are raised by one parent than two these days.

Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

JCishome wrote:

Uh, no why?

Does this First Amendment only apply to what you like? You're missing the point, then.

I?m not entirely convinced that either poster really knows what the first amendment is?

Posted on: 2014/7/15 15:16
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

moobycow wrote:
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

JCishome wrote:

Uh, no why?

Well it doesn't apply everywhere. This instance could very easily be seen as inciting violence, in which case it does not apply.

Um, no, it doesn't even come close to passing the tests set by the Supreme Court, such as shouting "fire" in a crowded theater. There were no fighting words, no obscenities. Nor does it defame or libel anyone. As far as I could tell from the news coverage, the display was merely expressions of grief by the gunman's family and friends. They don't urge anyone to commit violence, and I don't think anyone who heard about this even thought the display reflected the views of the vast majority of JC residents. Give the public some credit. The whole point of living in a free and open society is the tolerance of views at odds with our own.

Posted on: 2014/7/15 15:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/7 17:48
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

JCishome wrote:

Uh, no why?

Posted on: 2014/7/15 15:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCishome wrote:

Uh, no why?

Posted on: 2014/7/15 14:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/23 21:08
Group:
Registered Users
Unfortunatley, it has become a race problem.

Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

Pebble wrote:
Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:
Ahhh and now a news reporter has been suspended for speaking his mind on this topic:

Keep digging your goddamn heads in the sand people. Keep firing the people with opinions who aren't afraid to speak the truth on this topic.

Dude, you're just going off the rails here. I suggest you take a step back from blaming non-white people for all of the problems and take a hard look at yourself.

There isn't some vast liberal media. Nor is there a conspiracy to pretend that there are no problems.

I agree he is coming off as unhinged, but currently these problems plaguing JC are all caused by black gang members. That's just a fact. Three more cops were injured today and I don't need to read an article to know what the perps look like.

And the cause of the problem is multifold, poverty, lack of education, etc. But the NJ news reporter nailed it on the head when he said all of this stems from blacks growing up without fathers.

It is sad that one cannot say this in public, because I think if this problem were confronted head on, we all would benefit.

Posted on: 2014/7/15 14:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Pebble wrote:
Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:

Posted on: 2014/7/15 14:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/2/6 21:56
Group:
Registered Users
Did NJ.com post the right slideshowThe photo captions mention someone else and a different shooting incident.

Those are the right photos. Our photographer happened to catch city workers tearing down a nearby memorial so she included those. It's about one block away from the one for Campbell.

Posted on: 2014/7/15 14:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/18 17:32
Group:
Registered Users
Yeah, consider yourself flamed. In this case, #OOPS# the first amendment.

Posted on: 2014/7/15 14:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
"I had it taken down last night," Fulop said. "I am not going to let a few residents pretend like they express the views of a great city like Jersey City."

More

Did NJ.com post the right slideshow? The photo captions mention someone else and a different shooting incident. As much as I heartily disagree with paying tribute to a murderer, I am disappointed that Fulop is essentially taking credit for trampling on someone's First Amendment rights. (Yes, I know I'm going to get flamed for saying this)

EDIT: NJ.com just fixed the photo captions.

Posted on: 2014/7/15 14:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users

More

Posted on: 2014/7/15 14:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:

Posted on: 2014/7/15 12:37
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/15 23:01
Group:
Banned

Posted on: 2014/7/15 4:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:

You may be confusing the perp with the Daniel Wilson, the guy who was on the run

I wasn't confused. Both Campbell and Wilson were on the run since last week - and both were wanted in connection to a prior homicide. Some their friends and family likely harbored these fugitives, and if so, they need to be brought to justice.

No confusion about that.

Ah, I see. Agreed on that count.

And your point only makes this sidewalk memorial more appalling. Because instead of a random act of violence, it shows that those around him were well-aware of his murderous nature, and were willing to protect him from its consequences. Having failed in that endeavor, now they seek to "honor" him.

Posted on: 2014/7/15 4:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:

You may be confusing the perp with the Daniel Wilson, the guy who was on the run

I wasn't confused. Both Campbell and Wilson were on the run since last week - and both were wanted in connection to a prior homicide. Some their friends and family likely harbored these fugitives, and if so, they need to be brought to justice.

No confusion about that.

Posted on: 2014/7/15 3:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/15 23:01
Group:
Banned
I also love how the spineless weasels at NJ.com closed the articles comments because of alleged racist comments and offensive language used on the comments for this article. Really!?!

How about continuing to glorify the ghetto trash who killed the cop by even posting this article?? White guilt is really running wild in this country. That, and the ostrich syndrome and are so rampant in our media its pathetic.

Nj.com is a typo-ridden, worthless piece of crap anyway, and this type of garbage solidifies it.

Shame on your Terrence. And shame on the clown who signs your check and decided to close comments.

Posted on: 2014/7/15 3:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/29 17:59
Group:
Registered Users
That is sad... curious how the parents of those kids would feel if thy knew the day care provider was walking their kid by a shrine to a cop killer... my cynical side says that was done on purpose by the caretaker. Very sad!

Quote:

jerseymom wrote:
In all my years in Jersey City, this has to be one of the saddest photographs I have ever seen:

Resized Image

Posted on: 2014/7/15 2:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
I was a little conflicted at first on this story. Clearly the perp was loved as a son, husband and father and his actions might have been out-of-character to his loved ones. His actions certainly appeared to be more deranged than simply evil.

But there's no way he could have remained on the run without the help of some of the people paying these obnoxious tributes. These people are directly responsible for Officer Santiago's murder. They need to be brought to justice.

You may be confusing the perp with the Daniel Wilson, the guy who was on the run. The perp was killed at the scene, shortly after killing the police officer. It appears he ambushed the cop because he wanted to kill a cop to become famous. This man is who the sidewalk memorial "honors."

David Wilson was an "associate" of the perp. Both Wilson and the perp were wanted for a second murder which occurred last week. Obviously this shows that the perp was a piece of shit, and his killing of this cop was not out of character, being his second murder in two weeks. Making it more of a travesty for his local "community" to honor him, instead of condemning him.

Anyway, Wilson had been on the run since last week. Apparently, being wanted for murder was not enough for the police to immediately track him down. But once the perp - Wilson's "associate" - killed this cop, the police expedited the tracking process, and Wilson was caught today.

Posted on: 2014/7/15 2:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
I was a little conflicted at first on this story. Clearly the perp was loved as a son, husband and father and his actions might have been out-of-character to his loved ones. His actions certainly appeared to be more deranged than simply evil.

But there's no way he could have remained on the run without the help of some of the people paying these obnoxious tributes. These people are directly responsible for Officer Santiago's murder. They need to be brought to justice.

Posted on: 2014/7/15 1:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/29 1:10
Group:
Registered Users
In all my years in Jersey City, this has to be one of the saddest photographs I have ever seen:

Resized Image

Posted on: 2014/7/15 0:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/29 1:10
Group:
Registered Users
(Some of the reader comments to this story indicate that Mrs. Campbell works/ed for the JCBOE as a security guard. Wow - that's comforting.)

---------------------------------------------------------
Wife of accused Jersey City cop killer apologizes for disparaging remarks

By Terrence T. McDonald | The Jersey Journal
Email the author | Follow on Twitter
on July 14, 2014 at 5:30 PM, updated July 14, 2014 at 6:26 PM

The wife of the man accused of fatally shooting Jersey City Police Officer Melvin Santiago yesterday said she?s sorry for comments she made that indicated she wished her husband had killed more cops.

Angelique Campbell, 28, of Grant Avenue, said she was angry when she told News 12 that her husband, Lawrence Campbell, ?should?ve taken more with him? early Sunday morning. Police say Campbell ambushed them outside the Walgreens at Kennedy Boulevard and Communipaw Avenue, fatally shooting Santiago before officers returned fire and killed him.

?I want to apologize to the officer?s family and to anyone else who got hurt or is suffering for these actions,? she said in her second-floor apartment.

She added: ?No matter what Lala did, I?m going to love him ?til the day I die.?

?Lala? was her husband?s nickname, she said.

Sitting on her couch while the couple?s six-year-old daughter sat in the next room watching a Nickelodeon cartoon, Campbell said she was shocked to hear that her husband was involved in the Sunday morning incident, which Mayor Steve Fulop has described as an ambush.

She said she and her husband met the night she graduated from Lincoln High School in 2004. She acknowledged his repeated run-ins with the law ? state records show he had three prior drug convictions ? but said she thought his last exit from prison, in January, was the start of a new life for him.

Once they married in February, though, she saw a ?change in him,? said Campbell, who wore a t-shirt with a cartoon peach and the words, "Peach and Love."

?He got hooked back up with the wrong people,? she said, adding that she only saw him twice a week.

City officials allege that Campbell lay in wait for police early Sunday morning as they reported to Walgreens on the report of an armed robbery. Once Santiago arrived with his partner, Campbell opened fire, killing Santiago, a rookie on the force.

Officers on the scene returned fire, killing Campbell.

Santiago's funeral is scheduled for Friday at St. Aloysius Catholic Church.

Link - Jersey Journal

Posted on: 2014/7/14 23:52

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017