Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
145 user(s) are online (125 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 145

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 »

Re: Five Police Officers wounded in Jersey City shootout
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/25 20:40
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
I noticed at work that once the match on the 401k program was increased, office supplies seemed to disappear at a much higher rate...

Quote:

alanwright wrote:
Are you asserting there is a "significant" causal relationship between certain entitlement programs and criminality?

Do other entitlements, such as Social Security and Medicare, also have a causal role in generating crimes such as fraud, the degredation of neighborhoods, or, at least, intractable moral hazard?

Posted on: 2009/7/17 20:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/10/2 20:19
Group:
Registered Users
Are you asserting there is a "significant" causal relationship between certain entitlement programs and criminality?

Do other entitlements, such as Social Security and Medicare, also have a causal role in generating crimes such as fraud, the degredation of neighborhoods, or, at least, intractable moral hazard?

Posted on: 2009/7/17 19:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

petey8 wrote:
One person? One? Isn't that like knowing one minority, or one homosexual and pontificating?

Yes, I know one person who lives there. My original point was that there are more people who receive government handouts in THAT neighborhood, than in MY neighborhood. My theory asserts that, partly for this reason, that is why there is more crime in THAT neighborhood than in MY neighborhood.

Not the only reason ... but perhaps a significant part of it.

Posted on: 2009/7/17 17:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Indomitus wrote:
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
The shooter and his companion were violent nut jobs, and the man at least seems to have commited violent crimes in SC as well as NJ. Its amazing that more people were not hurt by them. Our prayers are with the injured police officers and their families. Who would want to have people like this living next to them? You don't get to pick your neighbors.

The companion didn't have a gun, she should have chosen better friends. Now at least she is at peace...with herself. The paper said one neighbor got cuffed, cops were grabing people to safety. Maybe we should shoot first and ask questions later. I hope that all the cops recover it is a risk every day when they hit the streets. That one cop with his a bullet in his face is in a very serious state. It is upsetting to hear of this and I agree we should not let convicted criminals reside in public housing. Good thing the criminals and the community got what they deserved...forever ridding themselves of the garbage that threatened their neighborhood.

Posted on: 2009/7/17 17:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/7 21:36
Group:
Registered Users
One person? One? Isn't that like knowing one minority, or one homosexual and pontificating?

Posted on: 2009/7/17 17:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Indomitus wrote:
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
It's all bullsh*t. Wellfare is such bullsh*t. It's destroying these neighborhoods, and has been for decades. Look at those beautiful houses over on the West Side, which were the homes of hardworking families who took pride in their neighborhood. Now it's a cesspool, and the streets are not safe over there.

Hopefully, if one positive thing comes from this awful incident, it's that this will wake people up. There has to be a way to tackle the crime in the nasty parts of JC. More police? Cameras at hot intersections?

Tommy, there ARE cameras all around where this took place. Reed St. has been a problem area for decades, long before you decided to buy a brownstone downtown. Somehow, I don't think you know anyone who actually lives in this neighborhood and you assume much. All of my neighbors have ....what do you call them...oh yeah, JOBS!

The shooter and his companion were violent nut jobs, and the man at least seems to have commited violent crimes in SC as well as NJ. Its amazing that more people were not hurt by them. Our prayers are with the injured police officers and their families. Who would want to have people like this living next to them? You don't get to pick your neighbors.

So you're saying that the neighborhood is safe? Any suggestions on how to make it safer? Why aren't cops nailing drug dealers left and right if there are cameras there? Should be like shooting fish in a barrel, no?

I'm more familiar with that area than you may think. I work all over this city.

I know one person who lives on the West Side. She tells me that is not safe, and therefore spends most of her time at her boyfriend's apartment, which is Downtown.

Posted on: 2009/7/17 17:34

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/11/8 21:22
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
It's all bullsh*t. Wellfare is such bullsh*t. It's destroying these neighborhoods, and has been for decades. Look at those beautiful houses over on the West Side, which were the homes of hardworking families who took pride in their neighborhood. Now it's a cesspool, and the streets are not safe over there.

Hopefully, if one positive thing comes from this awful incident, it's that this will wake people up. There has to be a way to tackle the crime in the nasty parts of JC. More police? Cameras at hot intersections?

Tommy, there ARE cameras all around where this took place. Reed St. has been a problem area for decades, long before you decided to buy a brownstone downtown. Somehow, I don't think you know anyone who actually lives in this neighborhood and you assume much. All of my neighbors have ....what do you call them...oh yeah, JOBS!

Posted on: 2009/7/17 17:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/8/21 18:57
From NJ
Group:
Registered Users
Huh? For what praying for the police? Saying the people that shot at them were nutz or suicidal? But I DO need help, can you put together IKEA furniture?

Posted on: 2009/7/17 17:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/1/22 18:21
Group:
Banned
Quote:

marybarr wrote:
I pray for the police officers and thier well-being. These two that were killed were nutz to fire on police or maybe suicidal. HOWEVER I have been here two years and it HAS been relatively quiet. Crime IS down. I just really hate it when this had nothing to do with drugs and the news keeps mentioning drug dealers, drug area, yadda, yadda. That is propaganda to get the public to tie in all crime with drugs so that legislation to change non-violent drug offenses won't be put through and to get the public to fear drug users, recreational or otherwise. They never mention that if we regulated drugs the streets would be safer for the public and police, getting rid of over 70% of the black market.

You need help!

Posted on: 2009/7/17 17:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/10/27 13:13
From The fog.
Group:
Registered Users
OK, you win. It didn't happen near St. Peter's at all.

Posted on: 2009/7/17 17:06

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/1/6 7:24
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JerseyCityNj wrote:
Quote:

ASA-Alum wrote:
Quote:

SLyng wrote:
Quote:

ASA-Alum wrote:
Reed Street is not near St. Peters.

uh... it's within 4blocks of both St. Peters College (i.e. see that brown area on the map) & the Beacon (the pink-ish area on the map)...

Lovely map -- but obviously submitted by someone who hasn't got a clue about the actual terrain. I've lived in Jersey City for more than 60 years, I've taught at St. Peter's, I've known people who were born and died at The Beacon when it was The Medical Center -- and I know from actually traveling in all parts of the city that the location is NOT within 4 blocks of St. Peter's. St. Peter's is actually more than three blocks from Bergen -- just traveling along Montgomery St. Factor in the trip down Bergen to Reed -- and that adds even greater distance.

I'm sorry but you are wrong the corner of Montgomery and Kennedy is exactly 3 blocks from Bergen not more then 3.

Also to get to Reed and Bergen from Montgomery and Kennedy you simply walk 2 blocks south make a left walk 1 block east to Bergen make a right and walk half a block south and you are there. That is 3 and a half blocks even less then 4 but I guess you could count that half block as an extra block. Taking Montgomery to Bergen is actually the long way since Bergen curves further east on that corner.

I'm sorry -- but you are astonishing narrow in your instructions. There is more than one way to get from Point A to Point B -- and not all blocks in Jersey City are of equal length.

That one block east you suggest walking from Kennedy to Bergen is Duncan Avenue. If you make the left from Kennedy one block earlier, you have to walk THREE blocks to get to Bergen -- and those three blocks are the length of the one block on Duncan.

Your route minimizes the distance to make your particular point -- as was done with previous postings. Using your condensed approach to measuring, St. Peter's is only one block away from Bergen -- depending upon the number of blocks you count on the north side of Montgomery St. versus the number of blocks along the south side of the street within the same distance.

The purpose of this aspect of the thread here was to give readers a sense of proximity -- not an AAA route. And there is certainly a difference in the distance of what you simply characterize as "about 4 blocks" and the reality of proximity depending on the nature of the terrain.

Sorry -- the world can't always be neatly wrapped up on line through googling.

Posted on: 2009/7/17 16:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/8/21 18:57
From NJ
Group:
Registered Users
I pray for the police officers and thier well-being. These two that were killed were nutz to fire on police or maybe suicidal. HOWEVER I have been here two years and it HAS been relatively quiet. Crime IS down. I just really hate it when this had nothing to do with drugs and the news keeps mentioning drug dealers, drug area, yadda, yadda. That is propaganda to get the public to tie in all crime with drugs so that legislation to change non-violent drug offenses won't be put through and to get the public to fear drug users, recreational or otherwise. They never mention that if we regulated drugs the streets would be safer for the public and police, getting rid of over 70% of the black market.

Posted on: 2009/7/17 15:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2009/7/17 15:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/4/5 16:21
Group:
Registered Users
I remember that case well. the North Hollywood Shootout. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Hollywood_shootout

I am politicizing this tragedy because our inept and corrupt govt is not tackling crime correctly. Guiliani cleaned up NYC and crushed crime. He cared about NYC rather than getting re elected. If you recall he wasnt very popular at the time and frankly he didnt give a shit. Under stinkin dinkins cops had their hands tied and criminals and PC dipshits controlled the city.

Tough stances on all types of crime play a big part in reducing it. I understand there are several other factors involved as well.

Washington DC and Chicago have the toughest gun laws in the country and violent gun crime is out of control.
http://cbs2chicago.com/local/4.Killed.At.2.1088059.html

Posted on: 2009/7/17 15:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/8/5 3:20
From Jersey City Heights
Group:
Registered Users
it's not just Jersey City - it's this entire country. Entirely too soft on crime, and there's too much legal recourse the bad guys can take...

remember that bank robbery in LA a few years back where the guys had full body armor suits, completely automatic machine guns and shot up the whole city? wounding people and the whole thing was on tv from helos? one of the suspects died in custody after he was caught when he had been shot in the legs/feet... his family sued the LAPD.

absurd.

i guarantee someone will come out and say the two dead perps here were "good people" and "turning their life around"...

Posted on: 2009/7/17 15:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
You're politicizing this tragedy. 9/11 was given a one month leeway.

Posted on: 2009/7/17 15:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Im am very concerned for Officer Di Nardo. He was shot in the face and is in grave condition. he was dead and they brought him back to life. My prayers are with all of these officers.

This may sound like a rant but it all ties together.

JC Govt needs to get its shit together asap. 1st off anyone with a felony should not be allowed to live in JC projects or get any govt subsidy. I'll take a step further and say welfare/section 8 should only be for a few years unless that person is really dissabled, none of this cronic back pain crap that many of JC welfare recipients complain about.

It boggles my mind how many healthy 20 yr olds are on the govt cheese and get it for the rest of their lives. Its a vicious cycle of welfare/crime that needs to be stopped before the city goes broke. Let them move the hell out.

This quote from jack ass defazio sums up the political correctness gone mad.

Edward DeFazio, the Hudson County prosecutor, said a preliminary review concluded the officers were justified in their use of deadly force. Mr. DeFazio said all five of the wounded officers had exemplary records, including a wide assortment of commendations.

"Justified"? what is he scared Sharpton will hold a protest? Dont these nitwits know sharpton and jesse jackson have lost all credibility. Oh right they need the votes come election time.

Im glad it was only the preliminary review. So how many reviews will they do? Is there a chance the cops used unneccessary force? Police officers are hesitant to draw their weapons because of these bullshiit reviews. Officers have a split 2nd to react in these situations. I wouldnt be surprised if the officer hesistated with all this in the back of his mind. How many rounds did they fire at the suspects? These PC assholes that never shot a gun seem to know just how many bullets it takes to kill a person. little do they know a person riddled with bullets can still return fire before being incapacitated.

Should they have used tasers or pepper spray? Thank god these scumbags died otherwise they would probably sue the city or at the very least and received medical treatment for life,while they take up prison space.

These politicians/govt officials care about getting re elected and/or keeping their cushy bull$hit jobs rather than looking out fot the TAX PAYING residents of Jersey City.

Posted on: 2009/7/17 15:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/29 1:10
Group:
Registered Users
Here's NYT coverage of the incident - good story.

New York Times Story

Posted on: 2009/7/17 14:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Any update on the critical officers?

On an other note, If you are a responsible law biding citizen, I suggest you get your fire arms permit now. Crime is obviously on the rise and Its going to get worse with the state of the economy and cities being under funded etc. I also think Obama and local got will do whatever they can to make it harder for law biding citizens to obtain firearms.

Im not talking about petty crimes, I am referring to home invasions etc.That being said, if you cannot secure the fire arm, think your children might gat access to it or you dont think you are capable of pulling the trigger in a hostile situation do not get a gun.

Posted on: 2009/7/17 14:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/1/22 18:21
Group:
Banned
Quote:

NewHeights wrote:
The officer thats in the most crirtical condition, a arrested the scumbag that shot him, several years ago.

This cop should have off'd that scumbag several years ago!

Posted on: 2009/7/17 13:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/14 0:06
Group:
Registered Users
All I can say is I hope Comey & Healy are there when the officers wake up and say, "Congratulations, Lieutenant, enjoy your retirement".

I am sure it's not the proper proceedure to promote someone and let them immediately retire, but if that's what these officers want to do, I for one won't make a peep. They've done enough.

Posted on: 2009/7/17 13:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
The officer thats in the most crirtical condition, a arrested the scumbag that shot him, several years ago.

Posted on: 2009/7/17 12:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/5/23 10:53
Group:
Registered Users
Any update on the cops?

Posted on: 2009/7/17 11:51

Re: Crime is Down, but 4 Cops Shot on Bergen
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

alanwright wrote:
Quote:

135jc wrote:

Maybe if the cops didn't have to go through all the red tape and bs involved with charging these crimials they could have just gone in and suprised them. If you ask me the criminals have too many rights. I am sure they both have prior convictions!

Constitution = red tape? Thank you for clarifying.

Your sentiment does nothing in the service of the police. Their job is law enforcement, not law transgression.

Of course, I should add that there is such a thing as probable cause. Here, the cops had plenty of that to go ahead after 530 in the morning. Prior to that, their work was an active investigation as I understand it, so the warrants and indictments, etc., had not yet been penned.

Posted on: 2009/7/17 6:40

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/1/6 7:24
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JerseyCityNj wrote:
Quote:

ASA-Alum wrote:
Quote:

SLyng wrote:
Quote:

ASA-Alum wrote:

uh... it's within 4blocks of both St. Peters College (i.e. see that brown area on the map) & the Beacon (the pink-ish area on the map)...

Lovely map -- but obviously submitted by someone who hasn't got a clue about the actual terrain. I've lived in Jersey City for more than 60 years, I've taught at St. Peter's, I've known people who were born and died at The Beacon when it was The Medical Center -- and I know from actually traveling in all parts of the city that the location is NOT within 4 blocks of St. Peter's. St. Peter's is actually more than three blocks from Bergen -- just traveling along Montgomery St. Factor in the trip down Bergen to Reed -- and that adds even greater distance.

I'm sorry but you are wrong the corner of Montgomery and Kennedy is exactly 3 blocks from Bergen not more then 3.

Also to get to Reed and Bergen from Montgomery and Kennedy you simply walk 2 blocks south make a left walk 1 block east to Bergen make a right and walk half a block south and you are there. That is 3 and a half blocks even less then 4 but I guess you could count that half block as an extra block. Taking Montgomery to Bergen is actually the long way since Bergen curves further east on that corner.

There is more than one way to get from Point A to Point B. And actually, you make my point very well -- that one block east you suggest walking from Kennedy to Bergen is Duncan Avenue. If you make the left from Kennedy one block earlier, you have to walk THREE blocks to get to Bergen -- and those three blocks are the length of the one block on Duncan.

Your route minimizes the distance to make your particular point -- as was done with previous postings. Using your condensed approach to measuring, St. Peter's is only one block away from Bergen -- depending upon the number of blocks you count on the north side of Montgomery St. versus the number of blocks along the south side of the street within the same distance.

Posted on: 2009/7/17 5:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

135jc wrote:

Maybe if the cops didn't have to go through all the red tape and bs involved with charging these crimials they could have just gone in and suprised them. If you ask me the criminals have too many rights. I am sure they both have prior convictions!

Constitution = red tape? Thank you for clarifying.

Your sentiment does nothing in the service of the police. Their job is law enforcement, not law transgression.

Posted on: 2009/7/17 4:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/22 2:50
Group:
Registered Users
the cops were investigating these people. they knew they were criminals. presumably, when they went to arrest them, they got fired upon. i dont know what more they could have done to get the 'bad element' out than what they already did.

Posted on: 2009/7/17 3:55

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/9/19 14:39
Group:
Registered Users
LOL Chief Porky Pig! I mean , the guy must weigh 400 lbs. There was a gathering in VV Park a couple years ago in response to some muggings and Chief Porky could barely make it up the stairs of the gazebo.
He couldn't run down a little old lady, let alone a mugger who stole her purse. He's a sorry poster boy for a shipshape Police Dept.

Posted on: 2009/7/17 2:34

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/5/14 20:20
From Chilltown Baby!
Group:
Registered Users
I might agree...with the efforts and it is sad to say that it took more than 25 years to clean it up, but it is a change..however little it might be....I still stick behind my yuppie comments. Gulliani was a good point becasue he made it so that i couldn't go to any more bodegas on the corners in manhattan to buy some herb...lol..He did a great job...So you are right when you hint at the possibilities of the change in downtown...

The greenville area above the blvd all the way down needs to be addressed with an atom bomb. Regardles of how many new construction buildings go up in those neighborhood I dont see any change happening now or in the future.

Posted on: 2009/7/17 2:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/26 19:42
From Chilltown, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ASA-Alum wrote:
Quote:

SLyng wrote:
Quote:

ASA-Alum wrote:

Posted on: 2009/7/17 0:07

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017