Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
138 user(s) are online (118 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 138

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3)

Re: Why don't JC restaurants/bars do that well?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/1/22 18:21
Group:
Banned
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
Let me start by saying that I LOVE living in Downtown JC. I wouldn't live anywhere else.

But I have to pose this question. Yesterday was a gorgeous spring day, the first nice day in a really long time. I was working in Hoboken, and upon driving around, I was amazed at the number of people who were walking around, eating at outdoor tables, etc. Then I drove back to JC, and drove past Bar Majestic, and they had the tables set up outside, but NOBODY (not one person) was sitting out there. Why?? Also, O'Hara's Pub on Marin...I always look in there when I drive past, and there are never more than 4 or 5 people in there. How depressing...

I do not want Downtown JC to necessarily become like Hoboken...but in a way I envy the hustle and bustle of Washington Street, and how everybody is out and about, sitting at outdoor tables eating or drinking. Grove Street doesn't even come remotely close to that. And forget about Newark Ave.

Why don't Downtown JC's bars and restaurants draw like Hoboken's?? Is it just less pedestrian friendly? And on weekend nights, forget it...JC is a bit of a ghost town.

Every single restaurant and bar in Hoboken constantly has tons of people...it must be a blue chip investment to open an eatery there. Even during a recession, all the eateries are packed!

What is JC doing wrong?

A.)Comparing JC to Hob, or visa versa is like comparing Apples&Oranges.

B.)Hoboken(Washington st) is a concentrated main st, therefore more people, more rest/bars all in one area.

C.)As stated by another poster, the demographics are very different between the 2 cities.

D.) Then, theres the law of averages states that most restaurants are destined to fail within the 1st year of operation, which has been proven time and time again here in JC.

E.)Lastly, theres the current Economic climate, people just plain scared to spend their money on eating out and you can't blame anyone for that.

Just my 2 Cents.

Posted on: 2009/4/6 19:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/3/26 15:30
Group:
Registered Users
People are attracted to different things, it's subjective. I see tons of gorgeous women walking to and from the PATH every day in downtown JC.

Posted on: 2009/4/6 19:28

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/8/11 19:06
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
Then I drove back to JC, and drove past Bar Majestic, and they had the tables set up outside, but NOBODY (not one person) was sitting out there. Why??

I actually walked by Bar Majestic yesterday - sign out front said it was closed for a private party. And there were certainly no seats to be had outside at Merchant, M&P or Beechwood.
Traffic coming down Columbus was brutal but it was obvious that cars are diverting thru JC to the tunnel because of contruction on 78 and 139, which sucks but at least is temporary.

Posted on: 2009/4/6 19:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Hoboken has a much nicer waterfront. The parks near the mid and south end of town are much better than anything we have right now. JC sold out the waterfront so it's crowded with buildings and ugly. Liberty State Park is the exception but it is too large and remote. People like to see each other when they go out in a city. Within a 2 minute walk Hoboken has a beautifully groomed park packed with sun-bathers, a Barnes and Noble and a Starbucks. Not to mention a dozen Bars and Restaurants and the PATH trains. The area within a 2 minute walk of Grove Street Station is coming along but it still has some dicey characters and businesses. Some of the cuisine choices of the newer restaurants is a problem too. Ox and Skinners are a little much with their dishes. I think the way to attract crowds is to keep it simple with the menu choices. I would love a Leo's type Restaurant near Grove St. The attempts to be "sophisticated" are not what we need right now if they want to attract people again and again. Fancy fare becomes a once a month treat instead of a once/twice a week meal! Savos has great food but it looks awful from the outside. And when it comes to bars very few people wanna risk that area late at night. (At least until they get a constant police presence). Grove St. will be a great area very soon but it's gonna take some work. For now Jersey City is definitely more appealing to a younger crowd who don't know the difference or have the higher standards of older folks.

Posted on: 2009/4/6 19:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/27 0:25
Group:
Registered Users
Beechwood seemed to have plenty of people sitting outside on Sunday. I also went for a run and saw lots of people sitting outside in Pauls Hook. I think downtown isn't as pleasant for outdoor dining because of all the traffic and litter. Who wants to sit outside snorting bus fumes and listening to cars honking at each other? Even on weekends the intersections around Columbus & Grove and Columbus & Marin and Grove & Montgomery can be pretty congested. Drivers seem to think that if they lean on their horns, the gridlock will magically disappear.

Posted on: 2009/4/6 18:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/3/26 15:30
Group:
Registered Users
It doesn't help that the bars and restaurants on Grove don't do much to cultivate a happy hour / early crowd. People drive or walk by and see nothing going on and aren't inclined to stop for a drink.

For example last November I got married at City Hall at 4:30PM on the Wednesday night before Thanksgiving, one of the busiest bar night of the year, we (about 12 of us) headed across the street to Majestic for drinks and appetizers and were turned away because they said the don't open until 5:30. We ended up at M&P where we they where glad to accommodate us, but there aren't enough seats at the bar so they put us at several tables which was less than ideal.

I have often stopped by a few of the Grove Street bars (M&P and Majestic) on the weekend and found them closed by midnight which doesn't help either.

Posted on: 2009/4/6 18:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/20 14:33
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

saabconv wrote:
Tommyc - you asked a serious question, and then you made a stupid remark about unattractive women in JC. Maybe the guys (like yourself) are so unattractive that nobody can keep their food down. Did you think of that?

Except in a negative way, men are essentially invisible. They're everywhere but no one notices them unless there's a problem. So I'm pretty sure you're reasoning for why Tommyc doesn't see attractive women in JC is not the case.

Posted on: 2009/4/6 18:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 3:29
Group:
Banned
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:

Yeah...the women in Hoboken are unbelievable. I have to say, I really don't see that many attractive women walking around Downtown JC.

The Internet called. Your ego is taking up too much room. Please move along.

Posted on: 2009/4/6 18:46

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/2/5 14:28
Group:
Banned
Tommyc - you asked a serious question, and then you made a stupid remark about unattractive women in JC. Maybe the guys (like yourself) are so unattractive that nobody can keep their food down. Did you think of that?

Posted on: 2009/4/6 18:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/7/16 11:48
Group:
Registered Users
I would say it's easier to go out in Hoboken. As someone else said, most of the restaurants are concentrated in one area, and Hoboken is smaller, so places are easier to walk to. In JC, there's more crime, so it's not always pleasant when you think about walking home in the dark.

On the other hand, JC is more eclectic than Hoboken-- in my opinion, anyway. Hoboken is pretty predictable, with everyone going to the same restaurants every nice evening because there's really nothing else to do in town, other than go to the bars. JC has more of an arts scene. JC's population seems more eclectic too. The women in Hoboken ...put a lot of effort into their appearance...maybe too much. But it's a slightly younger crowd with different priorities. If I see one more pair of bug-eye sunglasses...

Posted on: 2009/4/6 18:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

stani wrote:
My 2 cents. Hoboken is about 10 years ahead of JC in it's gentrification path. It's now more like the Upper East Side (the way east parts) than JC. What's it going to take for JC to get there: mostly time. The most important elements are falling into place slowly but surely, mainly new housing to attract single professional tenants/owners. As more and more young, single professional women feel it's safe/acceptable to live in JC, the process will feed on itself and accelerate. So the perception of public safety is key. Otherwise, I don't think there's anything that can accelerate the process. Establishments that launch thinking we're already there (or will soon be there) are going to have a hard time.

Yeah...the women in Hoboken are unbelievable. I have to say, I really don't see that many attractive women walking around Downtown JC.

Posted on: 2009/4/6 18:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/20 14:33
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
My 2 cents. Hoboken is about 10 years ahead of JC in it's gentrification path. It's now more like the Upper East Side (the way east parts) than JC. What's it going to take for JC to get there: mostly time. The most important elements are falling into place slowly but surely, mainly new housing to attract single professional tenants/owners. As more and more young, single professional women feel it's safe/acceptable to live in JC, the process will feed on itself and accelerate. So the perception of public safety is key. Otherwise, I don't think there's anything that can accelerate the process. Establishments that launch thinking we're already there (or will soon be there) are going to have a hard time.

Posted on: 2009/4/6 18:02

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
They have more singles with NO MONEY. Downtown JC has a wealthier demographic - and I think there are more older singles than married with kids there....also Hoboken has ALL the restaurants on one main street. JC is scattered all over the place....

Posted on: 2009/4/6 17:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 19:48
Group:
Registered Users
Is it possible that demographic factors are responsible for the difference? I've heard anecdotally that Hoboken has more singles and more kid-free couples who eat out more often.

Posted on: 2009/4/6 17:54

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
If you had been in Paulus Hook, you would have seen TONS of people outside of Light Horse and Triumph (or whatever they changed their name to). I think people want to be closer to the water and wants a more people friendly area, like Paulus Hook is.

I think if you drive down Grove and Newark Avenues there is an unfriendly element there. People just loitering, not really shopping. That's my opinon. I don't want people writing back and telling me that I'm racist, or a jerk, or anti-Newark Avenue. Because I'm not any of those - and I happen to love the bars/restaurants on Newark Avenue....

Posted on: 2009/4/6 17:53

Why don't JC restaurants/bars do that well?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Let me start by saying that I LOVE living in Downtown JC. I wouldn't live anywhere else.

But I have to pose this question. Yesterday was a gorgeous spring day, the first nice day in a really long time. I was working in Hoboken, and upon driving around, I was amazed at the number of people who were walking around, eating at outdoor tables, etc. Then I drove back to JC, and drove past Bar Majestic, and they had the tables set up outside, but NOBODY (not one person) was sitting out there. Why?? Also, O'Hara's Pub on Marin...I always look in there when I drive past, and there are never more than 4 or 5 people in there. How depressing...

I do not want Downtown JC to necessarily become like Hoboken...but in a way I envy the hustle and bustle of Washington Street, and how everybody is out and about, sitting at outdoor tables eating or drinking. Grove Street doesn't even come remotely close to that. And forget about Newark Ave.

Why don't Downtown JC's bars and restaurants draw like Hoboken's?? Is it just less pedestrian friendly? And on weekend nights, forget it...JC is a bit of a ghost town.

Every single restaurant and bar in Hoboken constantly has tons of people...it must be a blue chip investment to open an eatery there. Even during a recession, all the eateries are packed!

What is JC doing wrong?

Posted on: 2009/4/6 17:39

« 1 2 (3)

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017