Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
54 user(s) are online (42 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 54

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3)

Re: incident at Dunkin Donuts
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/7 21:36
Group:
Registered Users
I guess it might have been funny if it wasn't early am, dark, with no one else in line or around--and I was without my or anyone else's favourite ax. I read enough of the posts on this list about random car jackings and robberies to know that I am not hanging around to find out what Smitty wants at the passenger window.

Posted on: 2008/10/21 18:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/7/8 2:45
From Bergen/Laf
Group:
Registered Users
No, I think the funniest part was him flying out of line... I am cracin up over here, altho if I was behind you I would have fell out my car laughing.

Its not funny let me stop.

Posted on: 2008/10/21 18:37

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/11/29 21:28
From Downtown JC
Group:
Banned
Incident..I thought you spotted a cop....

If you don't want people from approaching you blindsided, just lay your favourite axe on the seat and I guarantee, he'll just move on to the next vehicle.

Posted on: 2008/10/21 18:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

petey8 wrote:
Amy--the very same thing happened to me at that DD drive-through. The man approached my passenger door and reached as if to open it. I sped out of the line and drove back around, to see him walking away toward town. I did not feel bad--in fact I was pissed off that my space was invaded and that I was afraid. He did not have a cup or a sign--the hallmarks of panhandlers--so to me, he was looking for something else. But he looked a little out of it anyway. I told the attendant in the DD window, but I don't think she knew what the hell I was saying.

I think the funniest part of this story was when you attmepted to tell the attendent at the drive thru what occured. Did you actually think it would have done any good. They (the WINDOW) only know donuts and coffee, less responsibilities to be had.

Posted on: 2008/10/21 17:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/4 17:25
Group:
Registered Users
as the economy gets worse, there will be more and more incidents like this. soon, we will see the return of white flight. It will be the 70s all over again.

Posted on: 2008/10/21 17:27

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/5/20 20:55
Group:
Registered Users
In a bad economy or even a good economy, St. Lucy?s Shelter can always use extra food and things. Happens to be my shelter of choice. Although I?m tempted to hand-over a buck here and there to panhandlers, the unfortunate truth is that he probably is a junkie, and it will just go to a drugs that are killing him and the dealer who?s driving around the City in a Lexus probably living on our tax dollars. Next time you see him, tell him you just dropped off some lasagna at the Shelter.

Posted on: 2008/10/21 16:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/7 21:36
Group:
Registered Users
Amy--the very same thing happened to me at that DD drive-through. The man approached my passenger door and reached as if to open it. I sped out of the line and drove back around, to see him walking away toward town. I did not feel bad--in fact I was pissed off that my space was invaded and that I was afraid. He did not have a cup or a sign--the hallmarks of panhandlers--so to me, he was looking for something else. But he looked a little out of it anyway. I told the attendant in the DD window, but I don't think she knew what the hell I was saying.

Posted on: 2008/10/21 16:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/7/8 2:45
From Bergen/Laf
Group:
Registered Users
I have had panhandlers come up to me at the drive-up ATM (on kennedy and communipaw)... I'm very matter of fact, my car has automatic locks when I go over 15mph so its always locked but I had the window down and I told him, "don't come near me, this is a very bad place to be looking for money, back off" and he apologized and walked away. I usually give whatever change I have when asked. And feel better about it when I get a "thank you and god bless you" response.

Posted on: 2008/10/21 15:45

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/12/13 17:44
From Hamilton Park(ish)
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Amy wrote:
Anyone could become the panhandler in these uncertain times.

So true Amy...but please don't feel guilty for wanting to lock your doors. You never know what can happen and having an unknown person approach your car is always alarming.

Posted on: 2008/10/21 15:28

incident at Dunkin Donuts
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/7/16 11:48
Group:
Registered Users
This morning I was in the shopping center on Grand getting coffee from Dunkin Donuts. I had my dog with me and was running errands, so I used the drive-through, which is always really slow there.

I had been waiting for a while when a man walked up to my passenger window and peered in. I panicked and saw that the door was unlocked. I could think of nothing else than, "He's going to get into the car. And if not, he's going to pull a gun and shoot me." In this fog of panic, I tried to reach the lock on the door but couldn't because my seatbelt was on. I made a "go away" motion with my hand, and he walked away, to the car in front of me. It occured to me then that the guy probably only wanted some spare change, and that in my car and all my middle class obnoxiousness, I had told him to go away. I watched as the other cars in line also waved him away.

I know a lot of people will think, "He was a junkie or wino and there's no need to feel guilty for waving him away." Or "Of course you waved him away-- it's terrifying to have a man approach your car so quickly." That was my rationale when I kept thinking about it later. But in this economy, I can't help but think how many people are desperate or are going to be desperate. I'm going to give to Second Harvest or whatever the new name is now... something I should do more often. I shouldn't need an incident like that to prompt me. Anyone could become the panhandler in these uncertain times.

Posted on: 2008/10/21 15:26

« 1 2 (3)

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017