Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
75 user(s) are online (66 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 75

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 9 »

Re: Where are all the BJ shopping carts coming from?
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/12/27 1:27
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jaah37 wrote:
She said that a possible solution is to have JCIA, who regularly picks up these carts, tell BJ's they are going to destroy every cart they pick up rather then bring them back to BJ's, which IS what they normally do. Perhaps the threat of losing the carts permantly would be enough of a monitary incentive to fix this prob.

I agree that the threat of losing their carts is more likely to get them interested in the problem than this constant cycle of "catch and release." Perhaps if they lose enough carts, they will replace them with ones that can't be easily taken off the lot.

Posted on: 2008/6/12 15:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/10 14:50
From hamilton park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

TheVillage wrote:
Is anyone in favor of taking an hour out one evening or weekend to get together as a group and bring these carts back to BJ's. Have lets say 1 or 2 people on Brunswick and 9th, 1 or 2 at Brunswick and 8th (and so on), walk directly towards Marin Blvd. Any shopping carts we come across bring with us to BJ's. If we all do this together I am sure we would easily gather about 10 carts and drop them off at the store in Jersey. It would send a clear unified message to them that this issue is a sore point with the neighborhood.

Best possible results: BJ's will take notice of our concerns and address the issue more seriously.

Worst possible results: The carts may be off our streets for a few weeks at least.

a better idea would be to collect as many of them as possible, remove the right front wheel of each of them and mail a picture of them all as well as the wheels into the local store with a ransom note. see how badly they want their carts back.

Posted on: 2008/6/12 19:48
utterly deplorable

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/12/15 2:25
Group:
Registered Users
Ok, so I was bored.... Plus its kind of fun when walking around JC. Kind of like bird watching.

Posted on: 2008/6/16 2:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/1/15 16:41
Group:
Registered Users
This is from my walk to the PATH this morning.

1st and Erie:
Resized Image

Coles and Newark:
Resized Image

Posted on: 2008/6/16 13:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/20 2:33
Group:
Registered Users
Three carts on the NE corner of Morgan and Marin.
As seen on google maps street view!

Posted on: 2008/6/16 17:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/9/3 23:20
Group:
Registered Users
Photobucket department of public works carrying a bj's cart in the pickup outside of simple last week Photobucket i think this was on the corner of coles and newark on saturday Photobucket a guy pushing a bj's cart on jersey and 10th between 9th (across from the hamilton ale house) sorry they're a little big, they came directly from my cameraphone =/

Posted on: 2008/6/17 8:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/2/27 17:44
From Van Vorst Park Historical District
Group:
Registered Users
A couple of weeks ago, my brother was in town with his car delivering a large stack of heavy boxes that I had been storing at my dad's place.

The only legal parking space we could find was way down at the other end of the block.

Then I spotted it right there on the sidewalk -- yes, it was an empty BJ's shopping cart!

With pride, I piled my boxes into it and down the block I went.

It sure made it a lot easier before having to carry the boxes up a few flights of steps.

I figured "When in Rome!"

I did get a few disapproving looks from people who walked past us on their way to work that morning (not to mention an amused reaction from my suburban brother).

Heck, I know it was wrong, but it felt so right!

Posted on: 2008/6/17 10:18

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/5/31 19:15
From Downtown JC
Group:
Registered Users
Has anyone brought this up to Steven Fulop yet? I'm sure he'd be useful for this type of thing.

I worked with him to get the garbage trucks on my street moved to an earlier time. He got the job done!

Posted on: 2008/6/17 16:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Coles and Columbus:

Resized Image

1st and Brunswick:

Resized Image

Took a different route to work this morning so I could go "Cart Watching" Found these two bad boys.

Posted on: 2008/6/18 13:51

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/8/29 17:50
Group:
Registered Users
By reading from the posts this past week it appears that there are carts at the following locations.

- 1st and Brunswick:

- 1st and Erie:

- Coles and Columbus:
- Coles and Newark:

- Morgan and Marin (3 carts on the northeast corner).
- Jersey and 10th between 9th

- Sussex St and Washington St
- Warren and Grand
- Warren and Sussex (blue shoprite cart)

How about we take action and tackle the problem by bring them back to BJ's.

Anyone up for getting together lets say this Sunday at 10am, selecting a location listed above, if the cart is still there bring it back to BJ's. Meet at BJ's at 10:30 and bring them into the store and deliver them to the store manager.

Anyone interested?????

I can take the cart at 1st and Brunswick

Posted on: 2008/6/19 15:47

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/5/31 19:15
From Downtown JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

TheVillage wrote:

Village,

You have good intensions, but what will that do? They'll thank you for saving them the effort and money from having to retrieve them.

The point is to keep them from getting the carts back. Destroy them, sell them, hide them, take them apart... don't end up doing them a favor.

Posted on: 2008/6/19 17:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/2/9 14:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

TheVillage wrote:
By reading from the posts this past week it appears that there are carts at the following locations.

- 1st and Brunswick:

- 1st and Erie:

- Coles and Columbus:
- Coles and Newark:

- Morgan and Marin (3 carts on the northeast corner).
- Jersey and 10th between 9th

- Sussex St and Washington St
- Warren and Grand
- Warren and Sussex (blue shoprite cart)

Anyone up for getting together lets say this Sunday at 10am, selecting a location listed above, if the cart is still there bring it back to BJ's. Meet at BJ's at 10:30 and bring them into the store and deliver them to the store manager.

Anyone interested?????

I can take the cart at 1st and Brunswick

To All,
Whenever you see a cart call the JCIA inspectors line -
(201) 432-4645 ext.671
I have and they have been very receptive to the problem. They will come , pick up the carts and then destroy them. I have called about several carts and they have been taken off the street. Most of the carts appear on Mondays because most people do their food shopping on weekends.
We, the public , have to work together and stay on top of these carts. The more carts picked up and destroyed the more loss to BJ's!!

Jaah

Posted on: 2008/6/19 18:04

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/3/15 16:15
Group:
Banned
Rather than destroying the carts, why not take a picture of the inconsiderate wretches that steal them and post their pictures around the neighborhood.

Posted on: 2008/6/19 19:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

2DogDoll wrote:
Rather than destroying the carts, why not take a picture of the inconsiderate wretches that steal them and post their pictures around the neighborhood.

The carts need to be destroyed so there is a monitary loss to BJ's. That is the only thing that will get BJ's attention. The other part of the problem is the people stealing the carts and then dumping them for others to deal with. Posting their pictures is a great idea but be forewarned, alot of people may not take kindly to being photographed and you may have a fight on your hands. Posting the cart stealers is a proactive idea though!!!

Jaah

Posted on: 2008/6/19 19:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I agree Jaah. The best place to hit them is in their wallets. I just don't see why they wouldn't want to get on board. Maybe they are not losing enough money. We can fix that.

Posted on: 2008/6/20 14:38

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/3/15 16:15
Group:
Banned
So, it?s ok to destroy a merchant?s property but it is not ok to photograph the creeps that are breaking the law and ripping off the store ?. You don?t see moral issue here? You have no problem blaming the merchant for the illegal actions of the law breaking thieves? ? Good one ? Go ahead, blame the victim and BJ?s is the victim in this case. The signs are clearly posted that removing a cart from the premises is against the law. The carts are provided for customer use on the premises. Period.

And what makes you think that BJ?s hasn?t tried to address the issue, which, by the way, has been going on since BJ?s opened its doors. They tried locking the carts up inside the store; there was the infamous shopping cart war between ShopRite and BJ?s where BJ personnel stopped anyone wheeling a BJ?s cart into ShopRite; they tried to put the locking devices on the carts but they were constantly getting jammed and thieves were constantly trying to break the locks; they had trucks going around picking up the carts on a daily basis, but nothing stops these creeps. You will find most ?locked? carts near the Avalon Cove and other high rise apartments; being walked on 8th Street; and, loaded with materials on construction sites. I?ve even seen Pathmark carts in Hamilton Park.

I think that whole ShopRite/BJ?s shopping area should be under surveillance and people who try to steal the carts, photographed and fined. There?s no other way to stop the illegal activity.

Posted on: 2008/6/20 15:41

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/10/26 17:52
From the best stuff on earth
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

2DogDoll wrote:
I think that whole ShopRite/BJ?s shopping area should be under surveillance and people who try to steal the carts, photographed and fined. There?s no other way to stop the illegal activity.

BJs should work with those guys who prowl the lot for illegally parked cars for the tow truck company. Since they're there anyway, and they presumably have spotters working from elevation watching people come and go from the lot, would it be alot of trouble for them to phone the manager of BJs every time they see someone pushing a cart off the premises? If they get a couple of bucks for every theft they prevent, it could work out very nicely for both parties. If people know they could be stopped, embarrassed and/or fined for this, they would surely quit stealing them.

Posted on: 2008/6/20 16:28
My signature will be a funny quote and/or observation.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
If some of you had bothered to read the whole thread you would know, the problem is BJ's doesn't think this is their problem. I have called and talked to them myself, and was told quite frankly, that it is Jersey City's fault for having thieves. I believe the direct quote was "YOUR neighbors are the ones stealing the carts, what do you want us to do about it?" So while all these solutions are great ideas, BJ's would never implement them.

What Jaah is trying to say is, that if somehow we could get BJS to work WITH us, we could solve this. But the only way to do that is to hit them where it hurts. If they start losing money, they might be inclined to hear us out.

Posted on: 2008/6/20 17:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

elvis wrote:
If some of you had bothered to read the whole thread you would know, the problem is BJ's doesn't think this is their problem. I have called and talked to them myself, and was told quite frankly, that it is Jersey City's fault for having thieves. I believe the direct quote was "YOUR neighbors are the ones stealing the carts, what do you want us to do about it?" So while all these solutions are great ideas, BJ's would never implement them.

What Jaah is trying to say is, that if somehow we could get BJS to work WITH us, we could solve this. But the only way to do that is to hit them where it hurts. If they start losing money, they might be inclined to hear us out.

Thankyou Elvis,that is exactly what I meant. By the way, I never said the thieves who steal the carts shouldn't be photographed, I think thats a great idea. What I did say is that you need to be careful doing such because some people when confronted with a camera will resort to violence...so be careful. Bj's not doing anything to remedy the cart stealing is one part of the problem. The other part is the people who constantly steal the carts and dump them for the residents to deal with. It IS illegal to steal and then dump a shopping cart but the police don't enforce the law. I believe it's a $50 fine if caught with a cart.
If you see any carts around your neighborhood call the JCIA inspetors line: (201) 432-4645 ext.671 and have them removed and destroyed. Eventually the loss of enough carts will get BJ"S attention and they will do something to prevent their loss.

Thanks,
Jaah

Posted on: 2008/6/20 18:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/10 11:55
Group:
Banned
I feel that it is the Supermarkets responsibility to make sure that this doesn't happen. I live in Lafayette and we get all kinds of carts all the time....Bj's Shoprite, pathmark, home depot!! How people get them out of the store lot I have no clue. Its very tiring to do the city's work and now private companies work too?!
The JCIA is funded by our tax paying dollars...why should they be picking up carts...there is always a solution and I feel the BJ's is not doing their best. I have one in front of my home right now.
JCPD probably thinks this is too petty to stop someone in the street with one of these carts.......argh!!

Posted on: 2008/6/20 19:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
The BJ's shopping cart that lives on my block recently migrated from its Angel Luis Ramos Playground habitat to the corner of Wayne and Barrow.

What's interesting is that there used to be a public trash can at that corner (which I believe the city removed a few years back).

The BJ's shopping cart appears to have recognized the need for a waste receptacle at that exact location and now the cart has begun collecting trash!

Simply amazing!

Posted on: 2008/6/21 10:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/13 17:19
From time to time
Group:
Registered Users
Spotted in Newport: Two clean and shiny Morton Williams carts congregating behind the buildings with a grizzled veteran from BJ's. Brand new to the neighborhood and already hanging out with the wrong crowd.

Posted on: 2008/6/21 14:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/6/12 3:42
Group:
Registered Users
You yuppie scumbags.

Don't you think if someone is pushing a shopping cart full of stuff down these messed up sidewalks, that they don't really have much of a choice?

Just the trouble of pushing a cart down down sidewalks this bad is punishment enough for borrowing a cart without written permission. Pushing a stroller or granny cart is hard enough, maybe some of you can relate to that.

I've bought a shopping cart full of food at A&P (right across from the Travel Car Service office), and waited 45 minutes for a cab. (3 calls to Travel 10 minutes apart, they said they'd be there in 5 each time, and then 15 minutes more calling other cab services, and the wait when I found one that was willing to go there).

Not everyone has a car or even the extra money for a cab. And cabs are so unreliable that you can't count on them (except the gypsy cabs at Pathmark, they are more polite, have cleaner cars, and they're right there. You can also get kids to help load the car for a couple dollars).

If you want to fix the "problem", encourage BJ's to encourage customers to report where they left the cart, so that their collection truck can recover them more easily.

Honestly I'm disgusted by anyone who sees this as a problem and not just part of the bizarre charm of Jersey City.

So far as them being used as trash receptacles, I have seen at least 10 garbage cans disappear (hit by cars and never fixed) in the 8 years I've lived in JC. I can name the former location of 5 off the top of my head. Why not put your energy into making sure the city has adequate garbage cans, and replaces them when they are destroyed?

Posted on: 2008/6/21 15:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jclxz wrote:
You yuppie scumbags.

Don't you think if someone is pushing a shopping cart full of stuff down these messed up sidewalks, that they don't really have much of a choice?

Just the trouble of pushing a cart down down sidewalks this bad is punishment enough for borrowing a cart without written permission. Pushing a stroller or granny cart is hard enough, maybe some of you can relate to that.

I've bought a shopping cart full of food at A&P (right across from the Travel Car Service office), and waited 45 minutes for a cab. (3 calls to Travel 10 minutes apart, they said they'd be there in 5 each time, and then 15 minutes more calling other cab services, and the wait when I found one that was willing to go there).

Not everyone has a car or even the extra money for a cab. And cabs are so unreliable that you can't count on them (except the gypsy cabs at Pathmark, they are more polite, have cleaner cars, and they're right there. You can also get kids to help load the car for a couple dollars).

If you want to fix the "problem", encourage BJ's to encourage customers to report where they left the cart, so that their collection truck can recover them more easily.

Honestly I'm disgusted by anyone who sees this as a problem and not just part of the bizarre charm of Jersey City.

So far as them being used as trash receptacles, I have seen at least 10 garbage cans disappear (hit by cars and never fixed) in the 8 years I've lived in JC. I can name the former location of 5 off the top of my head. Why not put your energy into making sure the city has adequate garbage cans, and replaces them when they are destroyed?

In order to fix the problem, maybe YOU should consider walking the cart back to the store you stole it from instead of being a lazy scumbag and dumping it on the sidewalk for other people to deal with. It's called illegal dumping you ignorant fool! Shopping carts make neighborhoods look dirty and ghetto-ish, so why don't you take some pride in yourself and your neighborhood and help keep it clean. Purchase a "granny" cart and make do, save your money and bye a bycycle with some saddle bags or buy an inexspensive used car. You sound pretty resourceful...make it happen. WALK THE CART BACK TO THE STORE!!

Posted on: 2008/6/21 19:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/9/3 23:20
Group:
Registered Users
shopping carts cost the stores anywhere from $200-400 a piece...sometimes more if they have the electronic immobilizer. if people purchased those folding carts so that they could carry their groceries home in that in the event that they were car or cab-less, maybe the stores would be able to maintain an appropriate amount of carts (think marshalls on 440, we all know they are very low on carts.) also, there should be no need for bj's to have a truck going around to pick up carts. carts are for store use only, not a convenience for people to take home and leave them wherever they feel like. technically once the cart is off the premises it is considered stealing.

Posted on: 2008/6/22 7:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/27 0:25
Group:
Registered Users
Last week, as I was walking home from BB&B, I saw this chi-chi young Japanese couple wheel a blue ShopRite cart down Marin. She was decked out in high heels, minskirt and the latest LVMH bag and yakking on her cell phone while she pushed the cart at a snail's pace. They must've managed to find a cart without the wheel-lock feature. From the looks of it, they were probably headed for either 50 Columbus or Grove Pointe. I was tempted to say to them that they, or their building's valet, should return the cart to the store - but I'm such a wuss sometimes!

Posted on: 2008/6/22 17:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I'm hoping that one of our local artists gathers all of the lost shopping carts from our neighborhoods and creates some sort of massive sculpture with them.

Maybe the Fish With Braids Gallery on Jersey Avenue would be game? I've been reading recently about their unique toilet seat art in the Jersey City Reporter.

Posted on: 2008/6/22 23:35

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/12/23 11:56
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

UrbanRenewal wrote:
I'm hoping that one of our local artists gathers all of the lost shopping carts from our neighborhoods and creates some sort of massive sculpture with them.

Maybe the Fish With Braids Gallery on Jersey Avenue would be game? I've been reading recently about their unique toilet seat art in the Jersey City Reporter.

Now that's recycling, my brother!

I would much prefer some sort of performance art starring the BJ's carts, or possibly a one-act play.

But to each his own.

Posted on: 2008/6/22 23:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/30 16:20
Group:
Banned
How about a largish fee, perhaps $5 to roll the cart off the property that is refundable when the cart is brought back. One can take the cart into one's apartment and bring it back for the refund or just leave it on the building grounds where someone ELSE will happily roll it to the store and collect the $5?

I know they tried it years ago but the fees were a pittance, like a quarter... no deterrrant.

Posted on: 2008/6/23 13:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Another cart taken by your favorite Neighborhood Yuppie Scumbag. This was at 1st and Coles.

Resized Image

Posted on: 2008/6/23 14:07

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 9 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017