Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
103 user(s) are online (89 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 103

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 »

Re: The Embankment Restaurant
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/5/13 20:32
Group:
Registered Users
I was there last week for happy hour. Service was considerably slow considering there were only 4 other people in the bar area. We also had exceptionally slow service when I went there for brunch back in the spring. Slow service seems to be the common denominator amongst most JC restaurants I have visited.

Posted on: 2008/8/7 12:57

Embankment Restaurant a welcome addition ........

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/1/18 13:42
Group:
Registered Users
I just want to welcome the Embankment restaurant to Jersey City. It is definitely a welcome addition to the already diverse culinary establishments that are present in downtown Jersey.

My wife and I have eaten there twice and both times we were thoroughly impressed. Even thier bar menu offerings (grilled shrimp) in particular were excellent.

Dave and Ann Marie (from the Merchant) have done an outstanding job with everything from the interior decor to the china. They have definitely taken dining to a new level with the Embankment.

Best Of Luck!

Wayne Lyons
Chef Soul Flavors

Posted on: 2008/7/26 20:26

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/4/24 5:11
Group:
Registered Users
I went there with a friend when they first opened , and we were really pleased with the service as well as the food. Their Lychee martinis were really the best I ever had. I wish them the best of luck.

Posted on: 2008/7/10 21:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/28 22:07
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
The chopped potatoes were not even mentioned on the menu for this dish.

This seems to be a recurring theme. I had the duck from them a couple weeks ago and one of the ingredients was fig. While it was very delicious, not even the waiter knew what it was and had to ask the chef. Given how some people are allergic to certain things, leaving them off the menu seems like asking for a lawsuit from some freaked out individual.

Posted on: 2008/7/7 0:24

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/11/4 15:38
Group:
Registered Users
New to town, been here about a month.

I've eaten at the embankment 4 times so far, each time has been consistent and an all around fun experience.

The first couple times I sat at the bar alone. They have a very friendly bar crew that was cracking me up with their comments on the euro 2008 match. The burger is a monster and the beer is cold.

Sat outside for brunch last weekend and had an instant hangover cure with their jersey city sandwich. (basically a taylor ham, bacon, egg, and cheese the size of my fist)

Went back again last night and had amazing scallops and my girlfriend had a nice vegetarian dish that the chef put together for her.

2 blocks away and quickly becoming a staple for me.

Posted on: 2008/7/6 17:58

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/3/21 18:22
Group:
Registered Users
I've actually been there 6 times (bar, meal at bar, brunch, and dinner) so I think I can make an informed decision...It is better than Lighthorse...IMO...Is that OK with you (validating my credentials)

Posted on: 2008/6/25 17:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/11/9 5:56
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
I think it's better than Lighthorse. I had a steak, which was perfect and a burger that was perfect as well.

based on the burger and the steak? or other comperable dishes?

i know "better" is subjective, but not sure I see cause to base judgement on nothing tangible.

Lighthorse is an established, well regarded restaurant in this area, Embankement clearly has a lot of work to get to that level (noting that consistancy should be job #1 for any food establishment)

Posted on: 2008/6/14 17:52

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/3/21 18:22
Group:
Registered Users
Absolutely love it...I have been there several times, twice over the past two weeks and love the place. Besides the great design of the place, the food is awesome...I think it's better than Lighthorse. I had a steak, which was perfect and a burger that was perfect as well. Too bad we are moving out of JC next week...I was so nice having a great restaurant in my neighborhood...

Posted on: 2008/6/12 18:02

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/2/14 14:12
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Went back for the second time, first since their opening weekend when I wasn't thrilled with the place. Much better experience this go round.

Sat outside (preferable, imho, even with Erie traffic). The pea soup wasn't particularly tasty, though very green. But the pork belly in a maple-syrupy sauce ($21) was fantastic, one of the best dishes I've had in JC in a long time, super tender, fatty the way it should be and a great combination of flavors. Linda's shrimp salad sandwich, of which I took a nibble, was also very good.

A bit pricey to be a regular stop but the pork belly will lure me back.

Posted on: 2008/6/7 13:30

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/7/9 7:38
Group:
Registered Users
They had a great grand opening on Sunday...I hope they succeed...The two bartenders were easy on the eye and made a good drink....Food was decent too...

Posted on: 2008/6/6 3:26

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/14 13:47
Group:
Registered Users
Went for dinner tonight. The endive salad was delicious. The Arctic Char was ok - but a bit overcooked. My wife's meal, however, was a disaster. She ordered the potato, truffle, leek ravioli in a cream sauce. First bite she took, the ravioli was ice cold inside. Frozen Ravioli!!!?? When we informed the waiter, he apologized and came back 10 mins later with what looked like a bowl of soup with several floating ravioli in it. Rather than actually re-do the dish properly, it appeared as though they tried to re-heat the same frozen ravioli in a bowl of milk. It was nasty and tasteless. Worst of all, they didn't even comp the nasty ravioli entree. Great way to encourage business. Needless to say, we won't be back.

Posted on: 2008/5/30 1:42

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/9/18 17:27
Group:
Registered Users
Stopped by the restaurant on this past Wednesday... wanted to give the place another shot since last visit.

We were pleasantly surprised by

1) half-price bottles (every Wed)!!!!!!!!
2) change in menu

Needless to say, we walked home very happy and full. The food certainly got better and the change of menu was a big plus...

Now just have to get my butt up in time on weekends try its brunch...

Posted on: 2008/5/27 15:26

Re: The Embankment Resturant

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/6/2 23:24
Group:
Registered Users
I was there for brunch and the food was great so was the service!

Posted on: 2008/5/16 17:49

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/12/29 4:33
Group:
Registered Users
Just had lunch with a friend and his out-of-town family and all of our meals were delicious, the service was good, and we would definitely return.
Entrees were:
2 Hamburgers/fries,
1 shrimp/pasta
1 Arctic char

Posted on: 2008/5/15 19:32

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/4 14:20
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
I stopped in the Embankment last week for a burger and thought that overall it was pretty good. My only complaint, and it's a pretty stupid complaint, is that they put way too much cheese on the burger. Other than that, I thought the service was very nice and accomodating, and the quality of the food was very good. The bread they use for the hamburger buns was unusual, but excellent. I think they're really trying to offer a nice thing over there, and will be happy to go back soon.

Posted on: 2008/5/15 18:30
Myth: Pancakes are for breakfast.

Fact: There are no rules when it comes to pancakes.

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/5/4 1:14
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ansky wrote:
Does this restaurant even have a sign? The only reason I knew it existed was I happened to drive by yesterday and saw people sitting at outdoor tables. I drive by there all the time and never noticed it. I didn't find out the name of the place until we walked inside and looked at a menu. I couldn't believe when I found this thread and saw that it has been open for almost 3 months.

We were there last week and were told there was no sign because they are just having a soft opening now. The official open is next Sunday I believe.

We enjoyed our meal though.

Posted on: 2008/5/11 22:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/5/13 20:32
Group:
Registered Users
Does this restaurant even have a sign? The only reason I knew it existed was I happened to drive by yesterday and saw people sitting at outdoor tables. I drive by there all the time and never noticed it. I didn't find out the name of the place until we walked inside and looked at a menu. I couldn't believe when I found this thread and saw that it has been open for almost 3 months.

Anyhow, we did end up going there for brunch today.
It was full when we first got there and we had to wait a few minutes for a table. Once we were seated the service was extremely slow. After placing our order we had to wait at least 25-30 minutes for the food to arrive. (For some reason slow service seems to be a common trait of JC restaurants). I ordered the french toast with fruit. The plate arrived and looked very messy. It was 3 pieces of french toast smothered in what appeared to be cooked apple slices, and chopped potatos. The chopped potatoes were not even mentioned on the menu for this dish. The french toast was not great. I think it was made with the same type of italian bread that you would find on the table at dinner. I certainly would not get that dish again. The other people in my party had the burger and the pasta/shrimp dish, both of which they said were good. Prices seemed reasonable. I would probably go back.

Posted on: 2008/5/11 22:06

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/11/2 14:49
Group:
Registered Users
I went here the weekend they opened for dinner and while I thought the food was quite good, it did seem a bit overpriced. However, I just noticed (after reading a recent post and going on their website), that they have significantly reduced their prices since they opened. I think this is a great move and I will definitely be back much more often with this new pricing. Just thought I should point this out for those who haven't been back in a while.

Posted on: 2008/5/5 15:36

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/5/20 20:55
Group:
Registered Users
I finally got to the Embankment this weekend. For Lunch. It was really very good. Good experience....Had the Amish Chicken. A Little Pricey.

Posted on: 2008/4/21 17:28

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/31 12:12
Group:
Registered Users
My family had a wonderful dinner at the Embankment last Friday. The food was outstanding -- my husband said the rib-eye steak was the best he'd ever had-- and the service was excellent. We also had a great bottle of wine at a very good price -- the sommelier knows what he's talking about. The atmosphere is lovely, tranquil and relaxed, and the place is also surprisingly kid-friendly. We were celebrating my six-year old daughter's birthday, and she was treated like royalty by the attentive staff. There's also plenty of outdoor seating for the upcoming warm months. We will be back often.

Posted on: 2008/4/20 12:27

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/10/17 23:54
Group:
Registered Users
I've been to the Embankment 2-3 times for dinner and once for happy hour.

The service was great each and every time. Our servers were really attentive and made great recommendations for our entrees.

I really enjoyed the lobster that was on the initial menu. I hope that they bring that back.

This place has a really great vibe and I think that it's a great place to hang out. While I like Ox, I find that the Embankment offers a more welcoming atmosphere. I feel comfortable lounging there and chatting with friends over a few drinks.

Oh and Chad... how can anyone take your opinion seriously when you can't even properly identify the type of eating establishment it is?

Posted on: 2008/4/19 18:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/2 19:00
From Jersey Cxxx
Group:
Registered Users
I finally made it to The Embankment ....I loved it!

The food was very good, the employees super nice and they make a perfect Dirty Vodka Martini .

The Embankment is my favorite new restaurants. ( Ox and Skinners too!)

Posted on: 2008/4/19 18:32

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/10/23 19:52
Group:
Registered Users
Just want to register a big thumbs up for this place.

Not only is a decent restaurant sorely needed north of Newark Avenue (no, I don't consider the Hamilton Park stAle House to be a foodie favorite), but The Embankment offers a lot of quality fare for the price. I have to admit that I didn't try the most expensive entree (a $28 dry aged steak), but the appetizers, burgers and pasta dishes were all reasonably priced and tres delish. The decor may be a bit Spartan, but who's complaining when the $6 draft beer is served in a tennis ball can-sized glass iced mug (and half-priced at happy hour)?

Mind you, I sense this isn't a particularly place for bar flies and bucket beer nights (at ease, Ale House fans). But if you're up for a reasonably priced and very high quality meal this side of Hoboken, I whole-heartedly recommend The Embankment. (Props are due, too, for the apropos name me thinks.)

Sure beats "Ox" in my book...

Posted on: 2008/4/15 19:11

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/4/7 15:20
From Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
I was at the Embankment with a date on Saturday night and you can't take away the fact that the place is absolutely beautiful and a much added accent to our area but I have to say that we were both extremely disappointed with our meals. I had the Salmon which was way to bland and my date had the Lamb chop which was also. Mind you, he requested steaksauce and they didn't have it at hand. Meal serving are small and yes I have to agree pricey. I'd say re-do the menu and have the chef add a lil kick and spices...

I'd opt for the bar only unless the menu changes.

Posted on: 2008/4/7 15:30
"IS THIS THE Susquehanna HAT COMPANY?"
(ABBOTT AND COSTELLO)

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/10 14:50
From hamilton park
Group:
Registered Users
went in for happy hour last week, didn't try the food menu but the drink selection was great. Talked to some of the folks working there and it sounds like they're addressing concerns as they hear them. I will definitely be back. Oh and Patrick serves you ask him to do his flaming orange peal trick.

Posted on: 2008/4/3 17:58
utterly deplorable

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/10 23:17
Group:
Registered Users
I live in Schroeder also - I know of one guy named Jonathan - but his wife and he moved in months ago like me - it can't be that Jonathan. I ate there for the first time a few weeks ago. I enjoyed the dinner, although the portions were a tad too small for me. The one small hard dinner roll delivered before the salad was a bit silly I thought - I had to ask for more and felt a bit guilty. This is a great place - I'm certain they are 'fine-tuning' the place now and it will be great! I see that they installed new lights by the windows - looks better. I cannot wait to try the new brunch - I bet it will be great - and I want to stop by for lunch one day when I'm off from work. And this whole thing about New York vs. New Jersey is SO SO silly. We ( JC residents) are making JC great - and only a mile or so to NYC over the river. What is with all of this comparing - so pretentious. I'm a NATIVE NYC boy - living in JC - it's all the same really! This constant comparision between the two is so so silly and sounds so immature.

Posted on: 2008/4/3 15:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/1/27 22:17
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Finally made it to The Embankment. I thought the food was overpriced for what you get. My wife and I had the Duck last Friday, which was okay, but not worth $27. The Tamarind Duck in Sawadee for $16 was twice as good at almost half the price. Okay, it's not apples to apples, but side by side, at the same price I know which one most would pick.

My daughter had the flounder daily special, nothing was special about it. Not saying it was bad, it was okay, but would not consider "good" or "great".

The burger my son had was excellent. That was the only good thing on the table.

Having said all that, the service was excellent and attentive, bread was fresh and delicious, the ambiance was pleasant. I would go back for burgers and beer, or on an expense account.

Prices here are comparable to Cafe Matisse in Rutherford(www.cafematisse.com), and the food is 3 levels better.

Posted on: 2008/4/3 15:52

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/7/13 18:46
Group:
Registered Users
I have lived and worked in Jersey City for almost 10 years now. I have seen many businesses come and go and a few stay and grow. I think it must be pointed out that the people who invest what in many cases is the life savings on a dream must be applauded and supported. It is very easy to point out all the flaws in a business and most startups have many, but the level of criticism that is spread on this site by typically the same people is not constructive for the most part but really nasty. It hurts our community by steering people away from local businesses. If you don\'t like a dish or the service or the style of a business, do the right thing and tell the owner directly. Yes, I do personally know the owner of this Embankment and their family, as well as many other small business owners in Jersey City. They deserve more consideration than this site affords. Many of the people who open restaurants, clothing stores, etc know that they could make more money with less risk in NYC but they do so here because they want to see this city grow and improve. As I write this, I realize that the same attacks will be directed at me from the same old people. But I ask those of you who are reading this to support your local businesses by getting to know the owners,
finding things you like and if you cannot, simply don't go patronize them

Posted on: 2008/3/27 17:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/15 0:46
Group:
Registered Users
OK, well to try to bring this back on topic...

One thing that I havent seen mentioned here and didnt know about until I happened by there early one evening is that they have a happy hour every day from 4-7pm. During that time the booze is reduced price

(dont remember all the details except that the draft beer is half price so my pleasant Radeburger pint cost only $3). Not only that but the bar menu is half price at this time so you can get the outrageous $14 burger with fries for a more reasonable price as well as a number of other choices at half price.

Having said that the burger is the worst thing I have tried there
Not much taste to it and served too rare for 'medium'. I've seen other people's faces fall when they see the size of their appetizer
I feel like somebody might be sitting in a back room full of TV screens somewhere watching people's reactions as their food arrives and laughing their heads off.

Strange crowd in the sense that the other patrons dont have the appearance of being local (I havent seen them around in the nabe). Avoid the lady at the bar with the extremely annoying laugh (it's not that funny, love).

Unless they get real about their regular menu prices, I'll give them 6 months before they have to close up shop.

Posted on: 2008/3/27 13:47

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/9/18 17:27
Group:
Registered Users
We went there last week for dinner.

I agree with some of the posts... the restaurant does have potential and I would not be so quick to judge, to be fair... after all, it is new and is trying to work out all the kinks.

The dining experience overall was NOT amazing... besides my food being unevenly salty (bad salt sprinkling job I hope), it did not stand out. I gathered that the restaurant is still tinkering with its menu given all these different specials that it is offering... a suggestion is NOT to put the lamb shank on the regular menu.

However, the staff was courteous, accomodating, and inquisitive - asking as what we like, don't like - so they can make amends. To me, it is a big plus in terms of melding into the Hamilton Park dining scene, with its own niche.

Still, I would give the restaurant 1-2 more months to adjust. It does need to step up before Hamilton Square gets its new restaurant tenants.

Best of Luck!

Posted on: 2008/3/24 15:01

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017