Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
109 user(s) are online (94 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 109

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

BottomBottom  Previous Topic Previous Topic  Next Topic Next Topic   Register To PostTopic is Locked

« 1 ... 15 16 17 (18) 19 20 21 ... 24 »

Re: Forget Taqueria!
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/7/8 19:40
From Jersey City Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

regulator wrote:
el aguila dorada in bayonne was mentioned earlier in the thread. and also, while more pricey, i prefer charritos in the heights (it's more of a sit down restaurant rather than quick taco fix though).

I beg to agree. Charrito's food is flavorful and tastes authentic. It is deelish.

Posted on: 2009/4/26 16:57
www.ninasdogwalk.com

A positive attitude brings strength, energy and initiative.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 20:41
Group:
Banned
el aguila dorada in bayonne was mentioned earlier in the thread. and also, while more pricey, i prefer charritos in the heights (it's more of a sit down restaurant rather than quick taco fix though).

Posted on: 2009/4/26 16:26

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/7/8 19:40
From Jersey City Heights
Group:
Registered Users
The food is bland and the service was lacking. One trip there was enough for me.

Posted on: 2009/4/26 16:17
www.ninasdogwalk.com

A positive attitude brings strength, energy and initiative.

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/4/27 17:14
Group:
Registered Users
I've gotten the same vibe there.

I guess it's my fault for going against my cardinal rule to never going to a place that has the word "eria" in the name.

So where do we get the real deal?

Posted on: 2009/4/25 23:18

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/23 12:14
Group:
Registered Users
Taqueria is AWFUL. I have yet to eat food from there when, afterwards, I do not suffer from diarrhea and other charming repercussions. Furthermore, I am fine with their not offering delivery. But how difficult can it be for them to at least accept orders over the phone which individuals would pick up, themselves? They are inflexible, and frankly arrogant, if they think that not offering call-in orders is acceptable in this day and age of customer service.

Posted on: 2009/4/25 20:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/1/10 17:34
Group:
Registered Users
"The thing is, Taqueria acts like they are doing you a favor when you eat there." That's why I'm not going to eat there anymore.
Especially since they turn their noses when you ask for pico de gallo. Eff you and your pretentiously bland tacos.

Posted on: 2009/4/25 17:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/15 0:46
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

sussexst wrote:
Can someone help explain why this bothers me?

A help wanted sign on the door at Taqueria, for an experienced line cook, written in spanish only.

My friend says it's "because it's racist" but I'm not sure if that's the reason it bothers me, or if it really is racist. Thoughts?

I do love their steak tacos though!

I've tried the Taqueria a number of times and been disappointed in the quality each time. I don't get what all the fuss is about.

What bothers me is not so much this case but when I walk to my polling station virtually all the notices outside are in Spanish.

I assume illegal immigrants are not voting and new citizens are required to demonstrate a good knowledge of English so why the need for these notices?

These notices must be aimed at people that have been living here for many years and have not picked up a working knowledge of English. How do such people follow the political debate which is conducted in another language? I assume they rely heavily on others to tell them how to vote.

Posted on: 2009/4/25 13:54

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/12/22 22:35
Group:
Banned
Gracias por todos los comentarios. Si no entienden porque el anuncio esta en espanol pues ni modo.
PS...If you haven't seen the internet portion of the movie Heckler yet, do.

Posted on: 2009/4/25 3:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

HobokenRefugee wrote:
It's not really amazing food. This is what cracks me up about this area! I have never been to so many mediocre and downright awful restaurants where people rave about how great they are.

Either they never had good food, or they are trying to convince themselves that this is as good as it gets. We have friends from Hoboken that were mortified when we took them up to (get ready to gasp) THE HEIGHTS (eek!!) for Italian food! Oh how we didn't get killed, carjacked, or offered crack! (sarcasm).

Come on people, don't be afraid to leave the friendly confines of downtown for good (insert ethnic dish here). Life's too short to eat that garbage known as Taqueria.

i would +1 this post... but i havent been to many restaurants downtown. i have always held the position that the taqueria was overrated, however. so i guess + 0.5

Posted on: 2009/4/25 0:34

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/3/29 20:29
Group:
Registered Users
Do yourself a favor and skip it.

Jump on the southbound light rail to 34th street Bayonne, one block over to Broadway, right four blocks to 38th st to El Aguila Dorado. The menu has expanded greatly, with new items and different combinations not on the menu above.

This place rocks. All ealirer comments above still apply. You will not leave hungary. I may have to call for delivery if I can find the new menu.

Posted on: 2009/4/25 0:00

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/6/17 18:59
From Hudson Co.
Group:
Registered Users
It's not really amazing food. This is what cracks me up about this area! I have never been to so many mediocre and downright awful restaurants where people rave about how great they are.

Either they never had good food, or they are trying to convince themselves that this is as good as it gets. We have friends from Hoboken that were mortified when we took them up to (get ready to gasp) THE HEIGHTS (eek!!) for Italian food! Oh how we didn't get killed, carjacked, or offered crack! (sarcasm).

Come on people, don't be afraid to leave the friendly confines of downtown for good (insert ethnic dish here). Life's too short to eat that garbage known as Taqueria.

Posted on: 2009/4/24 23:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/11/16 18:32
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JadedJC wrote:
Quote:
snowflake20 wrote:
I actually like the tacos at Taqueria, especially the pork and fish ones. The last time we tried to do takeout, they said they no longer do it, which really sucked because we don't like to eat in the restaurant as they are pretty unwelcoming when it comes to children. I get that not everyone likes kids, so I try to respect that when we choose places to dine out.

Huh? I get take-out from there all the time. Were you in the right line for take-out? I know on certain nights, when it gets really busy, you can't phone in your order because they won't even answer the phone. So, you go down there and order the take-out and maybe have to wait 15-20 mins, but as far as I know, they still do take-out orders.

Hmm...it was a while ago so I don't remember exactly what happened. I think you are right, we tried to call and they said something about not doing phone orders anymore.

Posted on: 2009/4/24 23:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Loopy wrote:
Quote:

cigarcat wrote:
Aside from the guacamole which isn't "authentic Mexican cuisine" this sounds just like Taqueria. I believe your husband had the Cecina. Have you ever been to Taqueria, because the steak taco's you are describing sound a lot like theirs. Good Stuff. You can also get Jarritos (Mexican soda) at Taqueria. I guess if you want friendliness go to Bayonne, if want really tasty local mexican go to Taqueria. Whatever floats your boat. I like hookers and drugs, that's why I go to Newark.

Quote:

dad1964 wrote:
Tried El Aguila Dorado in Bayonne tonight.. the guacamole was delicious.. had the steak tacos.. which were different from any taco I've had before but were great.. lots of cilantro and onion.. my husband had the mexican style steak with rice and beans.. also great though it was very spicy.. washed it all down with two mexican sodas and the check was only $25.00..

Guacamole is actually about as "authentic Mexican" as you can get--in fact, it's of Aztec origin and was called ahuaca-mulli. (Oxford Companion to Food at p. 43) I am always amazed when people repeat this misinformation, 'though it doesn't help that the geniuses at Tacqueria do it.

i agree... besides, every restaurant i've been to in mexico (on the coast as well as in the capital) has had guac as a side dish... not to mention straight up avocados in the dishes themselves. i never understood why taqueria claimed otherwise.. oh well.

Posted on: 2009/4/24 22:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/27 0:25
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
snowflake20 wrote:
I actually like the tacos at Taqueria, especially the pork and fish ones. The last time we tried to do takeout, they said they no longer do it, which really sucked because we don't like to eat in the restaurant as they are pretty unwelcoming when it comes to children. I get that not everyone likes kids, so I try to respect that when we choose places to dine out.

Huh? I get take-out from there all the time. Were you in the right line for take-out? I know on certain nights, when it gets really busy, you can't phone in your order because they won't even answer the phone. So, you go down there and order the take-out and maybe have to wait 15-20 mins, but as far as I know, they still do take-out orders.

As for a help-wanted sign in Spanish only, I don't know if it's legal, but they're certainly not the only restaurant that advertises for help in a language other than English. None of the Chinese restaurants around here advertise in English. In fact, there's an informal Chinese-only network/employment agency type service that matches undocumented workers with restaurants seeking workers. I'm willing to bet that the vast majority of workers in Chinese restaurants aren't in the country legally.

Posted on: 2009/4/24 22:40

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/2/18 14:37
From JSQ
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

sussexst wrote:

A help wanted sign on the door at Taqueria, for an experienced line cook, written in spanish only.

My friend says it's "because it's racist" but I'm not sure if that's the reason it bothers me, or if it really is racist. Thoughts?

Well it can't be because its racist, because spanish is a language not a race, and it is a language spoken by people of many different races such as white people from spain and their descendants in Latin America, Indians native to Latin America, black descendants of African slaves in Latin America etc. as well as people from other regions who have learned spanish for whatever reason. Latino/hispanic is not a race, its an ethnic group.

Posted on: 2009/4/24 22:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/11/16 18:32
Group:
Registered Users

The thing is, Taqueria acts like they are doing you a favor when you eat there. It's very strange...I've never encountered anything like that before in a retail/restaurant establishment.

Even their menu's "rules" seems like a big "F You" to customers.

Posted on: 2009/4/24 22:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/7/18 18:17
Group:
Banned
Had amazing tacos in Union City on Sunday at Celia Cruz Way from a little taco cart.

Closest thing to authentic LA-style tacos I've had anywhere in NY area. 2 bucks a pop, which is a little pricey, but they were jammed with meat, cilantro, onion, HOT red house sauce, guacamole, and radish. They were out of steak, but had some other sort of steak, as well as pork, chicken, and tongue.

Only thing missing was the proper-sized "mini' tortillas that every taco place uses in LA, but are impossible to find on the East Coast. I want to Mi Bandera to hunt them down the other day, and out of 99 varieties of tortilla not one "small" size!

Also visited the place in Bayonne. Pretty good, certainly better than local options, but Union City Taco Truck is well worth the trip!

Posted on: 2009/4/24 19:53

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/4 17:53
Group:
Registered Users
It bothers you because.....?

A. By posting sign in Spanish only, it excludes monolingual English speaking general public and giving the job to possibly illegal immigrant. And by doing so, they (Taqueria) are stealing precious job from legit American citizens.

B. The Spanish sign is intended to attract only the low-paying possibly illegal immigrant. They (Taqueria) are blood sucking evil entity to support modern day slavery.

C. You can't speak/read Spanish and you are simply annoyed by them expecting you to understand it.

Posted on: 2009/4/24 19:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/25 20:40
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

sussexst wrote:

I think the practical answer is that no one who works there other than the counter folks speaks english. If you are going to work as a cook there, you are going to have to be able to speak with the others and if you can't speak spanish....

I know this because I tried to order something minus one of the regular ingredients last week. The guy at the counter thought about it for about five seconds, squinched up his face and then said he'd never be able to explain it in the back and it could lead to a hard to foresee disaster. (The counter guy was the tall bald guy who apparently doesn't speak spanish. Or selectively speaks spanish. Whatever.)

Viva la taco de cerde!

Posted on: 2009/4/24 19:03

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/9/6 17:42
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2009/4/24 18:38

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/12/14 4:00
From Erie Street
Group:
Registered Users
We went to El Aguila... Saturday, and went back for tamales on Sunday (they had run out of tamales Sat. evening) The food is great, the server super-nice, portions are huge, and the tamales alone are worth the drive. Big and plump for a mere buck fifty, and very tasty. They only have tamales Fri through Sunday, and you have to get there early.

Acapulco, which I mentioned earlier and the Taqueria guy mentioned too, it's a grocery store on Broadway that serves food in the back (mostly takeout, very few seats). But for the same price at El Aguila you get food just as tasty and you get to sit down in a nicer setting.

Posted on: 2008/8/10 18:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/28 12:09
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

cigarcat wrote:
Aside from the guacamole which isn't "authentic Mexican cuisine" this sounds just like Taqueria. I believe your husband had the Cecina. Have you ever been to Taqueria, because the steak taco's you are describing sound a lot like theirs. Good Stuff. You can also get Jarritos (Mexican soda) at Taqueria. I guess if you want friendliness go to Bayonne, if want really tasty local mexican go to Taqueria. Whatever floats your boat. I like hookers and drugs, that's why I go to Newark.

Quote:

dad1964 wrote:
Tried El Aguila Dorado in Bayonne tonight.. the guacamole was delicious.. had the steak tacos.. which were different from any taco I've had before but were great.. lots of cilantro and onion.. my husband had the mexican style steak with rice and beans.. also great though it was very spicy.. washed it all down with two mexican sodas and the check was only $25.00..

Guacamole is actually about as "authentic Mexican" as you can get--in fact, it's of Aztec origin and was called ahuaca-mulli. (Oxford Companion to Food at p. 43) I am always amazed when people repeat this misinformation, 'though it doesn't help that the geniuses at Tacqueria do it.

Posted on: 2008/8/9 16:32

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/12/22 22:35
Group:
Banned
If anyone wants to use our name to increase awareness of good Mexican food on the East coast then by all means, post away. Good or bad. We also can't wait to try this place. Don't forget about Acapulco in Bayonne which is also very tasty.

b

Posted on: 2008/8/9 4:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/4 17:25
Group:
Registered Users
Also, you won't leave El Dorado hungry. They have nice, large, cheap portions of their fresh and delicious food. Taqueria always leaves me half full.

Posted on: 2008/8/8 13:19

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/4 17:53
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

cigarcat wrote:

Quote:

dad1964 wrote:

El Aguila Dorado is much better in taste too. Not just the service. I don't ride/drive down their just for friedly service.

I walked by there last night around 8. It was packed. Good service alone doesn't bring that many enthusiastic customers.

Posted on: 2008/8/8 12:53

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/1/4 22:40
Group:
Banned

Quote:

dad1964 wrote:

Posted on: 2008/8/8 2:12

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/8/27 22:18
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2008/8/8 1:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
The folks at Taqueria remind me of the punk, too cool for school kids who work at Strand Books or Kim's Video. Like they shouldn't have to be working HERE and having to deal with YOU! When is my band gonna get signed!?
If you don't like people don't open a restaurant.

Posted on: 2008/8/6 14:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/9/29 17:41
Group:
Registered Users
All the negative comments astound me...The food there is good but not good enough to be all soup nazi.

Posted on: 2008/8/6 14:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/5 14:16
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

UrbanRenewal wrote:

You say that you "still haven't experienced the alleged 'attitude'" at Taqueria Downtown, but from these experiences you've shared, it sounds like you already have!

Oh, they've been nice enough. It's just that they operate the restaurant in an unconventional manner that can be inconvenient for customers

Posted on: 2008/8/6 13:57

« 1 ... 15 16 17 (18) 19 20 21 ... 24 »

Register To PostTopic is Locked

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017