Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
67 user(s) are online (56 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 67

more...

Browsing this Thread:   2 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 11 12 13 (14)

Re: Okay, so who here thinks the Katyn monument needs to go?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/8/15 13:56
Group:
Banned
Quote:

MelissaSurach wrote:
I like the way the statue looks against the skyline and I don't think it's offensive. Why do you?

Because it's way too obvious, and easily in the kitsch, not art, territory. Most of those murdered by a bullet in the back of the head in Katyn were intellectuals, and a primitive and literal statue to them is an intellectual abomination. In my opinion of course. If you like it, by all means, knock yourself out.

Posted on: 2009/3/10 20:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

MelissaSurach wrote:
My family connections notwithstanding, I like the way the statue looks against the skyline and I don't think it's offensive. Why do you? Because you don't like it?

What I do think is offensive is the way you just called everyone associated with the statue an idiot and a hack. You're making yourself sound like an a-hole.

An a-hole is an incompetent government which forces their vision of a kitschy monument on others, no matter how pathetic it is. I don't blame the creators, because they are clueless, anyway.

Examples: The Katyn Monument, The Proposed 9/11 Monument at LSP, The Tsereteli Vagina.

All within a few miles from each other.

Coincidence?

I think not.

Posted on: 2009/3/10 19:59

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/3/8 16:53
Group:
Registered Users
My family connections notwithstanding, I like the way the statue looks against the skyline and I don't think it's offensive. Why do you? Because you don't like it?

What I do think is offensive is the way you just called everyone associated with the statue an idiot and a hack. You're making yourself sound like an a-hole.

Posted on: 2009/3/10 19:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Melissa - your family connections notwithstanding, this monument is a horrible, artistically-offensive kitsch.

It is an artistic affront to the victims of Katyn, as much as the Bayonne Crying Vagina by Tsereteli is an artistic affront to the 9/11 victims.

Unfortunately, Jersey City has always been by run by backwater idiots, and they allowed this atrocity to be erected.

Here's a problem, in a nutshell: the Polish community in Jersey City rallied, many years ago, for a worthy cause of erecting a monument to Katyn, in a middle of a flat wasteland fronting the Hudson River. There were hardly any buildings there at the time. They presented a design by an artistic hack because there were no talented Polish sculptors in the US at the time.

End of story.

Having said that, I say - suck it up, bitches. This monument fits very very well with the dysfunction that has been, and very much is, Jersey City.

Posted on: 2009/3/10 18:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/25 20:40
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
Sinik - because a movie didn't show someone being bayoneted (out of 20,000+ people who died) means no one was bayoneted? Nobody? Really?

If I want to learn more about the JFK assassination, should I rent Oliver Stone's movie?

Posted on: 2009/3/10 16:46

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/3/8 16:53
Group:
Registered Users
I don't understand why people think that the artist didn't research the massacre before designing it. Stop talking out of your ass.

This is the latest article from the Jersey Journal on it.

Stanley Paszul, 85; got Katyn Memorial built
Wednesday, December 24, 2008
By TOM SHORTELL
JOURNAL STAFF WRITER

Stanley Paszul, 85, the driving force behind the Katyn Memorial at Exchange Place in Jersey City, died on Dec. 16.
READ MORE

By the way, it was my grandfather, who recently passed away. He worked with Andrzej Pityski, a prominent Polish sculptor. He was a carpenter. From my understanding, he made the mold for the statue. He used to have a mini war museum in his house on 7th Street. There were little wooden models of the statue all over his house. The house still says "Carpenter Shop" on it.

Posted on: 2009/3/10 13:36

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/19 14:35
From Lincoln Park
Group:
Registered Users
NO #OOPS#ING WAY!

My Light Rail stop is at Exchange Place, and the best way to tell people how to get to the Light Rail is to say "Look for the guy with the bayonet in his back."

The Katyn monument stays.

Hey, in a hundred years people are going to wonder what all this 9-11 stuff was about anyway. Just a few thousand people died. Why bother?

Posted on: 2009/3/10 13:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/4/10 4:08
Group:
Registered Users
It's about shock value, and it obviously works. You would know what I mean if you've been in combat.

War is grotesque and perhaps this monument is also.

However, instead of hiding this statue in an empty war memorial park where no one ever bothers to read the names of the war dead, it is displayed exactly where it belongs.

Posted on: 2009/3/10 4:52

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/5/12 9:14
From Jersey City,nj
Group:
Registered Users
The monument has value but I would prefer to have a memorial commemorating a United States historical event in such a prominent location.Maybe a 9/11 memorial or a memorial to war veterans who gave the ultimate sacrifice.It's just such a prime location with so many people passing by that it should make us reflect on United States heroes.

Posted on: 2009/3/10 3:59

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/9/2 21:36
Group:
Registered Users
It belongs in the park with the other WWII monuments.

No disrespect to anyone, but it is a rather literal depiction of something grotesque and ruins the skyline.

Posted on: 2009/3/10 3:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/15 0:46
Group:
Registered Users
According to Wajda's film, the victims were shot, not bayoneted. Given his personal relationship to the atrocity I don't think he would have misrepresented this unlike the artist that was commissioned for the memorial at Exchange Place.

Posted on: 2009/3/10 3:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/15 0:46
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCbiscuit wrote:
I'm all for honoring events that have (or once had) an effect on JC residents. But that statue is so macabre that it's almost comical, and thus is hardly a respectful commemoration of the Katyn massacre victims.

On the other hand, it's so freaky that when I first saw it, I thought "I have GOT to know what that's all about," and probably wouldn't have bothered to learn about this slice of 20th Century history otherwise.

It definitely gets one's attention.

But admit it, Binky. Comparing this waterfront curiosity to the Holocaust Museum falls under the heading "Disingenuous."

If anyone wants to find out more about Katyn, there is a film showing at Film Forum currently called, um, "Katyn" directed by Polish veteran director Andrzej Wajda whose father was among those murdered. I didnt particularly enjoy this film, although I suppose you are not meant to. It is told from the perspective of the families left behind trying to find out what happened (the Nazi's and Russians tried to blame the atrocity on each other and it was not until relatively recently that Russia finally accepted responsibility).

Now, does anybody who supports the memorial think that the statue is tasteful and fitting? Honestly, now.

Posted on: 2009/3/9 21:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
I'm all for honoring events that have (or once had) an effect on JC residents. But that statue is so macabre that it's almost comical, and thus is hardly a respectful commemoration of the Katyn massacre victims.

On the other hand, it's so freaky that when I first saw it, I thought "I have GOT to know what that's all about," and probably wouldn't have bothered to learn about this slice of 20th Century history otherwise.

It definitely gets one's attention.

But admit it, Binky. Comparing this waterfront curiosity to the Holocaust Museum falls under the heading "Disingenuous."

Posted on: 2009/3/9 20:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/4/2 20:55
Group:
Registered Users
With all respect to the victims of the Katyn massacre one could suppose the Jersey City politicos see the monument as a memeorial to political "backstabbing".

Posted on: 2009/3/9 19:17

Okay, so who here thinks the Katyn monument needs to go?
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/5/2 7:31
Group:
Banned
Since I've lived here I have not been able to understand why we would want to superimpose the NYC skyline at our most prime waterfront location (Exchange Place) with a giant, grotesque symbol of foreign nationalism. Apparently there were originally a huge amount of Polish that lived here and had their way with the place, but downtown is clearly not a Polish/ethnic neighborhood any longer. Lots of terrible things happened to lots of people during lots of wars in lots of places all throughout history. This thing has to do with a conflict between Poland and Russia. What is it doing here? Can't we think of something a bit more positive to welcome NYC travelers to Jersey City with?

Posted on: 2009/3/9 17:16

« 1 ... 11 12 13 (14)

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017