Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
103 user(s) are online (88 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 103

more...

Browsing this Thread:   2 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 9 10 11 (12) 13 14 15 ... 24 »

Re: What's going there?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCishome wrote:
Quote:

craigslistdiva wrote:
Quote:

Yes, I am concerned because my investment could be an even better one. Somewhere a WF employee is scouting locations and visited our "acclaimed" restaurant row and told his superiors back in the WF office that DTJC is full of dollar/discount stores and stores which advertise how cheap their products are - Sleep CHEAP, PayLESS, etc.

I am torn over whether I prefer an ISIS recruitment center versus a dollar store since both are detrimental to their neighborhoods...

Agreed. We need to clean up Grove Street and Newark Ave. Not that I have a problem with the "cheap" stores, I feel like it's time for a change to accommodate the new and diverse demographics.

Moreover, I am baffled that these stores still exist, given the rents in the neighborhood have skyrocketed. There's a national discount store at 162 Newark (or 161 Newark Ave) that looks like a head shop but sells the most random stuff. Stores like that need to go. It brings down the entire neighborhood. Especially when the crack addicts hang out in front of it in abandoned shopping carts. In any case, I would rather not have an Old Navy or a J Crew but much rather see more local businesses like Tia's or Morelees or Word succeed.

This "We need to clean this up" attitude drives me nuts. Who's "we"?? Those store owners are running a business. Presumably, they pay their rent or own their building. Who are "we" to tell them they can't do it? Here's an idea: If "we" are so offended by a dollar store, "we" should pony up the money to buy them out. Then "we" can open an artisanal pizza place, TV-filled bar or high-end dog groomer. God knows "we" need more of those.

Amen

Posted on: 2014/10/1 13:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/18 17:32
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

craigslistdiva wrote:
Quote:

Yes, I am concerned because my investment could be an even better one. Somewhere a WF employee is scouting locations and visited our "acclaimed" restaurant row and told his superiors back in the WF office that DTJC is full of dollar/discount stores and stores which advertise how cheap their products are - Sleep CHEAP, PayLESS, etc.

I am torn over whether I prefer an ISIS recruitment center versus a dollar store since both are detrimental to their neighborhoods...

Agreed. We need to clean up Grove Street and Newark Ave. Not that I have a problem with the "cheap" stores, I feel like it's time for a change to accommodate the new and diverse demographics.

Moreover, I am baffled that these stores still exist, given the rents in the neighborhood have skyrocketed. There's a national discount store at 162 Newark (or 161 Newark Ave) that looks like a head shop but sells the most random stuff. Stores like that need to go. It brings down the entire neighborhood. Especially when the crack addicts hang out in front of it in abandoned shopping carts. In any case, I would rather not have an Old Navy or a J Crew but much rather see more local businesses like Tia's or Morelees or Word succeed.

This "We need to clean this up" attitude drives me nuts. Who's "we"?? Those store owners are running a business. Presumably, they pay their rent or own their building. Who are "we" to tell them they can't do it? Here's an idea: If "we" are so offended by a dollar store, "we" should pony up the money to buy them out. Then "we" can open an artisanal pizza place, TV-filled bar or high-end dog groomer. God knows "we" need more of those.

Posted on: 2014/10/1 13:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/12/28 0:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCishome wrote:
And yet, restaurants and stores keep opening. I guess they don't notice the dollar stores. Or, they really really like Altoids.

Thankfully these new restuarants are replacing the dollar stores as there leases come up. Soon most of them will be gone.

Posted on: 2014/10/1 2:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
neighborhoods develope over time. one can surmise that if those dollar stores had not opened that the space may have remaned a vacant eyesore, which would have detered new developments/residents and ensuing restaurants

Posted on: 2014/10/1 1:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/20 19:08
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

skyl4rk wrote:
FWIW - Satis, Turtle Club, Barcade, Two Boots, Porta, Word - all successful businesses, decided to open up additional locations on that block with the 3-4 dollar stores on it.

Second, I kinda love that I can go get lucky bamboo, Chinese slippers, cheap notebooks and wrapping paper all in one place on my block without having to get into my car and schlep to the mall.

If I wanted to go to the mall, I'd move to Millburn/Short Hills with the rest of the Joneses. So, yeah, having CH Martin and Super Discount within walking distance of my home did make a difference in my decision to buy my home here instead of the 'burbs.

I'm sure that these places will eventually get pushed out and I will have to find somewhere else to get my Chinese slippers, but I sure as hell hope it something more along the lines of E. Tittlemouse or Pig & Pepper than freakin' Old Navy.

If a child with a learning disability scores the highest in a class exam, it is not because of that learning disability that the child came in first, it is in spite of that learning disability.

Those restaurants moved here in spite of there being dollar stores, not because of it. If those stores did not exist, we might have even more upscale restaurants and establishments.

Posted on: 2014/9/30 23:07

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/8 17:09
Group:
Registered Users
FWIW - Satis, Turtle Club, Barcade, Two Boots, Porta, Word - all successful businesses, decided to open up additional locations on that block with the 3-4 dollar stores on it.

Second, I kinda love that I can go get lucky bamboo, Chinese slippers, cheap notebooks and wrapping paper all in one place on my block without having to get into my car and schlep to the mall.

If I wanted to go to the mall, I'd move to Millburn/Short Hills with the rest of the Joneses. So, yeah, having CH Martin and Super Discount within walking distance of my home did make a difference in my decision to buy my home here instead of the 'burbs.

And before you get too upset about the mere presence of these discount businesses, rest assured that these places will get pushed out by the ever rising rents. I will unfortunately have to find somewhere else to get my Chinese slippers. But I sure as hell hope those places get replaced by something more along the lines of E. Tittlemouse or Pig & Pepper than freakin' Old Navy.

Posted on: 2014/9/30 22:54

Edited by skyl4rk on 2014/9/30 23:11:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
And yet, restaurants and stores keep opening. I guess they don't notice the dollar stores. Or, they really really like Altoids.

Posted on: 2014/9/30 22:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CdeCoincy wrote:
There is now a 99 cent/Odd Lots type store at 12th Street and 6th Avenue, GV (the real GV) in what was a supermarket. Didn't notice anyone wearing a hardhat in fear of falling real estate prices. BTW, the 99cent store next to Barcade is worth checking out for Altoids and Lindt Chocolate.

Think about it logically. If you were a high end business/restaurant and are looking for a location, would operating in a town with 3-4 dollar/value stores on your same block excite you? Also, I've never heard of homebuyers asking their real estate agents to make sure there is a value/dollar store nearby.....

btw, good job on encouraging others to buy from value stores/dollar stores - I guess you hate Jersey City

Posted on: 2014/9/30 21:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/19 15:21
Group:
Registered Users
Did anyone else notice Taqueria's new location at 354 Grove St. is open for business?

Posted on: 2014/9/30 19:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/9 11:15
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CdeCoincy wrote:
There is now a 99 cent/Odd Lots type store at 12th Street and 6th Avenue, GV (the real GV) in what was a supermarket. Didn't notice anyone wearing a hardhat in fear of falling real estate prices. BTW, the 99cent store next to Barcade is worth checking out for Altoids and Lindt Chocolate.

Most of the branded products in dollar stores are knock-offs. I would be wary of any food products since you don't know where they where made and you don't know what they are really made of.

Posted on: 2014/9/30 19:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
I like cities with a little bit of grit, it keeps things interesting. Would love to find that "sweet spot" between gritty and super sanitized and homogenized. I think that's kind of where Jersey City is right now, actually. Let's enjoy it.

I like seeing development (especially when they are covering up old empty lots), but to me almost all of the developments I see going up provide an almost unbelievably bland streetscape, which is detrimental.

What I would really like is for more INTERESTING places to open up. More restaurants that have creative menus (this seems to be happening). Maybe a bar or two that doesn't have huge TVs just to have huge TVs?

I really hate seeing places like Sava, Europa close. I like a mix of new and old, gritty and not so gritty. I just want things to stay interesting in Jersey City, but for the amenities to increase a bit. I really don't want it to become like Hoboken, which has become such a really weird place in terms of personnel and types of establishments, especially on the weekend.

Posted on: 2014/9/30 19:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/9/8 19:37
From Soho West
Group:
Registered Users
Let me clarify my point about the dollar stores.

My point is that there are stores- plural. One dollar store isn't a problem. But there are multiple discount places- in addition to the dollar store in the mall.

While I seem to somewhat fit as a "bro" based on this board's definition- I have shopped at the dollar store before- but again the one in the mall- for red solos and beer pong balls- take that hipsters!

JC has more diversity than Hoboken- but it's also 4-5x the size population wise. DTJC's main diversity these days comes in the form of the Fiilippino and Indian communities- which some people (and I would not agree with them) would say doesn't constitute their PC version of diversity.

It's all about property values. We need more affluent retail and restaurants. There is plenty of clientele for multiple discount stores, but isn't downtown.

Posted on: 2014/9/30 19:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/21 14:01
Group:
Banned

Posted on: 2014/9/30 19:02

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/2/14 19:09
From DTJC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Posted on: 2014/9/30 18:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/5 14:16
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCishome wrote:
I don't get all the dollar store hatred.

You underestimate the myopic world view of superficial, insecure princesses.

Posted on: 2014/9/30 18:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCishome wrote:
I don't get all the dollar store hatred. It's a store, not an ISIS recruitment center. Don't shop there if you don't want to. I just hate when people trash a reputable, locally-owned business by saying "their kind" isn't welcome here anymore.

As for property values, if you own in DTJC, are you really concerned? It's clearly a good investment, so relax.

Posted on: 2014/9/30 17:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCishome wrote:
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
Quote:

JCishome wrote:
Quote:

RUinHamiltonPark wrote:
You do realize that there are plenty of people in JC like that already.

I'm 28, male, straight, single, a lawyer, my parents live in NJ, love football. Don't shop at any of those stores though and never did. Those are for HS kids anyway. No one wears Abercrombie anymore. And I really hate hipsters and everything they stand for. But they are not "offbeat" whatsoever, basically, they are everything they hate. The bros are true to themselves. They legit like most of things you mention. The hipsters like what the other hipsters tell them too. Skinny jeans are not comfortable nor are they flattering. PBR sucks. Brooklyn is so commercial and UES is now considered more "offbeat".

I basically respect every counter culture, foreign culture (been all over the world), LGBT culture, you name it except hispters...I wish all the hipsters DT would leave downtown and head to Newark already before they ruin that or whatever the next generation of "offbeat" is.

And it would be thrilling to have a "bro" place, maybe it starts to scare them off and it sure is hell better than a dollar store.

I was right there with you until you brought up the Dollar Store. It's fine to have places where young guys can get drunk and scream at TVs (not my thing, never was, but go for it). That doesn't mean you need to crowd out every business that caters to a lower-income clientele that just wants to buy a cheap sweatshirt for their kid. And hipsters are fine too.It's a big town, there's room for everybody.

Wrong, low income is old navy. Dollar stores bring down neighborhood property values and make it less likely for other businesses to come to the area. A prospective restaurant/business will choose to be located next to a "bro" establishment 100% of the time than a dollar store that sells lead toothpaste.

I would go further in saying that if you shop at a dollar store, you hate Jersey City.

The fact that you'd be happy to see an Old Navy open up in DTJC means that we have nothing to talk to each other about. But no worries, I'm sure there will be a Johnnie Rockets there, too.

I rather get shot than be seen in an old navy but I know going from a dollar store to a J Crew - which is where I shop at - is a hard ask so let's take the next step and at least replace these dollar stores/value stores with something just a tad higher on the totem pole of respectability - which to me is an old navy

Posted on: 2014/9/30 17:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I don't get all the dollar store hatred. It's a store, not an ISIS recruitment center. Don't shop there if you don't want to. I just hate when people trash a reputable, locally-owned business by saying "their kind" isn't welcome here anymore.

As for property values, if you own in DTJC, are you really concerned? It's clearly a good investment, so relax.

Posted on: 2014/9/30 17:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCishome wrote:
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
Quote:

JCishome wrote:
Quote:

RUinHamiltonPark wrote:

I'm 28, male, straight, single, a lawyer, my parents live in NJ, love football. Don't shop at any of those stores though and never did. Those are for HS kids anyway. No one wears Abercrombie anymore. And I really hate hipsters and everything they stand for. But they are not "offbeat" whatsoever, basically, they are everything they hate. The bros are true to themselves. They legit like most of things you mention. The hipsters like what the other hipsters tell them too. Skinny jeans are not comfortable nor are they flattering. PBR sucks. Brooklyn is so commercial and UES is now considered more "offbeat".

I basically respect every counter culture, foreign culture (been all over the world), LGBT culture, you name it except hispters...I wish all the hipsters DT would leave downtown and head to Newark already before they ruin that or whatever the next generation of "offbeat" is.

And it would be thrilling to have a "bro" place, maybe it starts to scare them off and it sure is hell better than a dollar store.

I was right there with you until you brought up the Dollar Store. It's fine to have places where young guys can get drunk and scream at TVs (not my thing, never was, but go for it). That doesn't mean you need to crowd out every business that caters to a lower-income clientele that just wants to buy a cheap sweatshirt for their kid. And hipsters are fine too.It's a big town, there's room for everybody.

Wrong, low income is old navy. Dollar stores bring down neighborhood property values and make it less likely for other businesses to come to the area. A prospective restaurant/business will choose to be located next to a "bro" establishment 100% of the time than a dollar store that sells lead toothpaste.

I would go further in saying that if you shop at a dollar store, you hate Jersey City.

The fact that you'd be happy to see an Old Navy open up in DTJC means that we have nothing to talk to each other about. But no worries, I'm sure there will be a Johnnie Rockets there, too.

You'd prefer a dollar store over an old navy? I shop at neither. But I agree with Vindi, if you care about your property value, you'd prefer the old navy.

Posted on: 2014/9/30 16:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
Quote:

JCishome wrote:
Quote:

RUinHamiltonPark wrote:

Posted on: 2014/9/30 16:22

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/2/14 19:09
From DTJC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jcman420 wrote:
Quote:

sp2xs wrote:
[quote]

All of that being said, and despite what many on this board say, there are many things that Hoboken does right. Washington St. is a pleasing, safe, and active main avenue. Newark Ave., which can still be desolate and off-putting at times, would be well-served to model itself on its northern counterpart.

Completely agree. Clearly, there are douchey elements to Washington St. (particularly on a Friday or Saturday night), but it is a large, active drag of diverse businesses, most of which are pretty nice.

I'd also add that Hoboken's waterfront, with its ample trees, greenspace, performance space and parks, puts Jersey City's bland Exchange Place/ Newport disaster to shame.

Agreed. What we have in JC that I feel Hoboken doesn't have is diversity. It would be lovely to have Grove Street and Newark Ave become a destination to come eat, drink and hang out. I would like to see more boutiques and small businesses open up here than the American Apparels and the Anthorpologies or the Gap.

We could certainly work on the waterfront or actually develop the Powerhouse and the "JC Highline" (aka the Embankment) but that's a whole different discussion. If the Powerhouse became a music venue and had some other retail/commercial pull (a bowling alley?) we will actually be able to rival our northern counterpart. I am not sure of any other neighborhood in JC but I am sure it is the same sort of deal.

Posted on: 2014/9/30 14:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCishome wrote:
Quote:

RUinHamiltonPark wrote:

Posted on: 2014/9/30 14:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JGJDNYCJC wrote:
"Bro-factor" / "bro-ey" describes that sub group of young men who are recent college grads, often former fraternity men, generally make a decent living, frequently have parents living within an hour's drive, enjoy hanging out in wolf packs, mostly prefer one another's company, and tend to have little by way of intellectual interest in offbeat culture, lifestyles or people who don't look like them. They are frequently white and male, but others have been known to embrace the lifestyle. Frequent shoppers at Abercrombie, hollister, and other so-called mainstream brands. Often into professional or college sports. Known for liking loud parties, sports bars, and women who like these sorts of establishments.

In a word, Hoboken, around the path station bar row. If guido went to college, he'd likely return as a bro.

You are right, it's not like people think Hoboken has a better downtown than us...oh wait

Posted on: 2014/9/30 14:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

RUinHamiltonPark wrote:

Posted on: 2014/9/30 14:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/7 17:48
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users
Much like just about every other stereotyped culture I find that I like a lot of bros, I like a lot of hipsters, I like a lot of just about any group that I get to know.

I'm happy to have a diverse group of places to go that caters to all sorts of groups. Ideally there is room in JC for artists, bros, hipsters and whatever other group wants to come live here. Diversity is interesting.

Posted on: 2014/9/29 20:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/9/8 19:37
From Soho West
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/9/29 20:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/16 11:22
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
"Bro-factor" / "bro-ey" describes that sub group of young men who are recent college grads, often former fraternity men, generally make a decent living, frequently have parents living within an hour's drive, enjoy hanging out in wolf packs, mostly prefer one another's company, and tend to have little by way of intellectual interest in offbeat culture, lifestyles or people who don't look like them. They are frequently white and male, but others have been known to embrace the lifestyle. Frequent shoppers at Abercrombie, hollister, and other so-called mainstream brands. Often into professional or college sports. Known for liking loud parties, sports bars, and women who like these sorts of establishments.

In a word, Hoboken, around the path station bar row. If guido went to college, he'd likely return as a bro.

Posted on: 2014/9/28 19:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CdeCoincy wrote:
Quote:

Lima17 wrote:
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
The new place "Coffee Shop" or "Whiskey Bar" opening at Grove Plaza is a little scary with all those TVs - definitely could attract a bro-factor.

Anyone been to Coffee Shop? I walked by yesterday and I noticed they're open.

what is bro factor a euphemism for? AA Men? Men who were in a fraternity that didn't rush you? ???

Obnoxious fellows who have little regard for those around them

Posted on: 2014/9/28 18:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/21 14:01
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Lima17 wrote:
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
The new place "Coffee Shop" or "Whiskey Bar" opening at Grove Plaza is a little scary with all those TVs - definitely could attract a bro-factor.

what is bro factor a euphemism for? AA Men? Men who were in a fraternity that didn't rush you? ???

Posted on: 2014/9/28 18:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:

Posted on: 2014/9/28 17:34

« 1 ... 9 10 11 (12) 13 14 15 ... 24 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017